PDA

View Full Version : Manningham contract details

titwio
03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
The 49ers and Manningham agreed to a two-year, $7.375 million contract that includes a $2 million signing bonus and another $2.45 million in salary guarantees, the source said.

Manningham's base salaries are $1.2 million in 2012 and $3.6 million in 2013. He is scheduled to count $4.887 on the 49ers' 2013 salary cap.
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/mario_manninghams_base_salarie.html

This is the big money he wanted? Less than Laurent Robinson and not even close to Josh Morgan.

Baffled...

GMenNY21
03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Damn.. now I wish we kept him.. that is a CHEAP price for a guy of his talent... I guess he just left for the extra reps he will get there

TuckYou
03-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Wow, his agent must be as dumb as he is. </P>

Why on earth would he sign a deal like that? He is in his prime, and signs a 2yr 7M contract in a non friendly WR system to let Alex Smith throw him the ball?</P>

G-Man67
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
thanks for info</P>

yeah that doesn't seem like much ... and is he sure Alex Smith and a conservative niners offense will bolster his career even as a starter? or was he thinking Peyton might sign there</P>

he would have had more yards as a Giant and coulda hit the market in 2014 when more $$ was avail for FAs</P>

interesting</P>

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
lol, this could be a worse decision than the steve smith one.

Good luck getting the ball on deep routes with Alex Smith throwing to you.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Why on earth would he sign a deal like that? He is in his prime, and signs a 2yr 7M contract in a non friendly WR system to let Alex Smith throw him the ball?</P>

Because in 2014 the cap goes up by $20 million and he's still making more money then the Giants offered (almost double in fact).

It's a good contract for him (not great, but good).

NYG4lifeNYK
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Yea as soon as I got word of this I thought to myself how dumb could he or is his agent be... then and realized who we are talking about.

All jokes aside this is a terrible contract for Rio. Why the hell would you not want to resign with us, we could of easily afforded that.

I hope he's not expecting to break out with Alex Smith throwing to him in attempt to up his value and get a new contract after two years. Just a dumb move.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM
BTW they might have pitched them getting Peyton Manning to Rio.

How funny would that be if that was part of his decision making?

TheEnigma
03-23-2012, 03:40 PM
I look at this contract and then Pierre Garcon's.

Oh lawdy, the NFL is hilarious sometimes.

TuckYou
03-23-2012, 03:41 PM

Because in 2014 the cap goes up by $20 million and he's still making more money then the Giants offered (almost double in fact). It's a good contract for him (not great, but good).</P>

But Im sure he could of gotten a 5yr 35M like 16M Guaranteed somewhere, thats what Robinson got in Jax and MM is better then him. I dont see the cap increase doing anything to his contract. This was just a bad deal for him. If he gets hurt in the next 2 years now, he ruins his shot at the big money WRs are getting. </P>

titwio
03-23-2012, 03:44 PM

Audio (http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Mario-Manningham-on-957-The-Game/e6e9a336-8650-41c9-9115-0e6cc171979f)

In this interview he said he knew about Peyton but signed knowing Alex was good enough for him to get it done.

Eli TO Shockey
03-23-2012, 03:55 PM
this is stunning. Rosenhaus has clearly lost a step.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Because in 2014 the cap goes up by $20 million and he's still making more money then the Giants offered (almost double in fact). It's a good contract for him (not great, but good).</P>

But Im sure he could of gotten a 5yr 35M like 16M Guaranteed somewhere, thats what Robinson got in Jax and MM is better then him. I dont see the cap increase doing anything to his contract. This was just a bad deal for him. If he gets hurt in the next 2 years now, he ruins his shot at the big money WRs are getting. </P>

Wow you really thought MM was getting $7mil a year?!

I figured 5 tops 3-4 years ... he got a bit less then 4 a year and 2 years (and the 2 years was most likely on purpose due to the cap raise).

Jacksonville WAYYYY over paid for Robinson (given his body of work) however Robineson way out performed MM this year. And he showed something that MM has never been able to ... consistancy (same with Garcon).

Now having said all that, can you imagine how much Cruz is going to cost us if he has another year like 2011, in 2012? Ouch.

DVision
03-23-2012, 04:03 PM
lol, this could be a worse decision than the steve smith one.

Good luck getting the ball on deep routes with Alex Smith throwing to you.

Actually Alex threw the deep ball pretty well against us. He was 2 for 2 with 2 TD's to Davis! With Moss and Manningham they should be much better at stretching the field. Especially if they still stick to the run and use play action. They just need to give Alex some time to throw.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM

Audio (http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/audio/Mario-Manningham-on-957-The-Game/e6e9a336-8650-41c9-9115-0e6cc171979f)

In this interview he said he knew about Peyton but signed knowing Alex was good enough for him to get it done.

Good lord he's impossible to listen to.

Like trying to watch a head of broccoli figure out a Rubik's cube.

And wow he didn't sound very happy about Alex Smith at all.

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
He was 2 for 2 with 2 TD's to Davis!

I dont think either of those throws was in the air for more than 25 yards

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 04:11 PM
Smith can throw. Not like we're talking about Chad Pennington here.

However I doubt there was anyone going to the 49ers specifically because of Smith either.

titwio
03-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Yeah but the 49ers were the mystery team in the hunt for Peyton...It wasn't like people were signing with the niners because they thought he was a shoe-in to pick them.

I think Mario signed with them basically for playing time that he wasn't going to get here in New York over Nicks or Cruz...Peyton, Alex or whoever.

Morehead State
03-23-2012, 04:18 PM
lol, this could be a worse decision than the steve smith one. Good luck getting the ball on deep routes with Alex Smith throwing to you.</P>

It what universe is it a bad decision to take 4 times the money, as Steve Smith did? </P>

All for a guy who can barely get on the field. That was the BEST decision Steve Smith could have ever made. If he had taken the Giants offer he would be $3MM poorer and still be on the street.</P>

giantsfan420
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Wow you really thought MM was getting $7mil a year?!

I figured 5 tops 3-4 years ... he got a bit less then 4 a year and 2 years (and the 2 years was most likely on purpose due to the cap raise).

Jacksonville WAYYYY over paid for Robinson (given his body of work) however Robineson way out performed MM this year. And he showed something that MM has never been able to ... consistancy (same with Garcon).

Now having said all that, can you imagine how much Cruz is going to cost us if he has another year like 2011, in 2012? Ouch.

I guess i got this one right. I was saying for some time, even before he became a fa that he wouldnt get the offers everyone was assuming.

He has issues with his knees, like no cartilage and bone fragments in his knee cap. I couldnt see a team giving him this big contract. Hes missed time in almost every season...this contract was exactly what i espected which is why i thought wed have a chance to get him back, but sf prob offered him just out of our range, which then why wouldnt mm sign with us??

We may have not gotten the chance to match or reese didnt make him an offer from the start...this actually makes me more relieved bc if reese didnt go after mm for tnose kinda numbers its bc he knows something bout one of the guys we already got or bc he has a plan on the draft or a fa reese is just waiting on to get best market value. My reasononing is if reese didnt resign mm when he fell into our range then its bc he knows how to get the offense better than when mm was an i,portant asset.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I think MM is reallty just setting up for the 2014 season, and that SF gave him the best shot at starting to building up his value. </P>

In 2014 teams will have more money to spend, and when that happens they tend to throw it around more, AND there wont be nearly as much competition in the WR market that he had this year. </P>

And despite those being seemingly mondest numbers, I bet they were still too high for us to match without making significant moves. </P>

MikeIsaGiant
03-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Well that blows

nygsb42champs
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM
That contract makes no sense for him at all. He would have been better off staying with us since he already knows the system.

Harooni
03-23-2012, 05:25 PM
since when is 3.5mill a year cheap?

titwio
03-23-2012, 05:28 PM
since when is 3.5mill a year cheap?*

In comparison to what other FA WR's Josh Morgan, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Robert Meachem etc..were signing for ...It's pretty cheap.

Harooni
03-23-2012, 05:50 PM
since when is 3.5mill a year cheap?

In comparison to what other FA WR's Josh Morgan, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Robert Meachem etc..were signing for ...It's pretty cheap.

well yeah compared to Garcon, megatron, but we dont even know if he is a #1 and with nicks and cruz he wouldnt be a #1 here.

also look at our cap situation

RoanokeFan
03-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow, his agent must be as dumb as he is. </p>

Why on earth would he sign a deal like that? He is in his prime, and signs a 2yr 7M contract in a non friendly WR system to let Alex Smith throw him the ball?</p>

He doesn't want to sit behind two # 1's

titwio
03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

well yeah compared to Garcon, megatron, but we dont even know if he is a #1 and with nicks and cruz he wouldnt be a #1 here.

also look at our cap situation

It's not so much cheap as in the Giants should have signed him...It's more like he wanted to get paid and be featured more and in that instance, the 49er deal makes absolutely no sense.

The 9ers made out like bandits. They needed an upgrade over Josh Morgan and they sign Mario for 7 and change while Morgan makes 42 mill and 20+ guaranteed somewhere else. It's baffling that this was the best deal Mario's agent could get ...and Mario actually agreed to it.

Harooni
03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Why on earth would he sign a deal like that? He is in his prime, and signs a 2yr 7M contract in a non friendly WR system to let Alex Smith throw him the ball?</p>

bingo and he got more $$ than he would here. has a ring, so its a smart move not to lock up long term. he has the potential to make big $$$ in a few years.

RoanokeFan
03-23-2012, 06:06 PM

bingo and he got more $$ than he would here. has a ring, so its a smart move not to lock up long term. he has the potential to make big $$$ in a few years.

I agree. Here, he wasn't worth what he got, there, if he's as good as he thinks he is, he can prove it.

GMENAGAIN
03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
lol, this could be a worse decision than the steve smith one. Good luck getting the ball on deep routes with Alex Smith throwing to you.</P>

Can't judge the decision unless we know how much the Giants offered him, if anything.</P>

NYGRealityCheck
03-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Manningham got more than the Giants would offer him to play behind Nicks and Cruz...

In the end, Manningham is going to get more playing time and got more money than he would have gotten being the Giant's No. 3 WR. He'll also be playing on a Superbowl-contending team. I guess he'll be satisfied with that.

I'm not so sure if any other team was going to offer him more money than the 49ers did based on how long Manningham stayed as a FA compared to the other top tier FA WRs that were signed.

Best of Luck to Manningham. Next man up!

nhpgiantsfan
03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Would've loved to see the Giants give him that contract. Maybe he didn't want to be number three. But nobody on our current roster that will be competing for the number three spot is as good as Rio. Damn shame. Oh well. I guess JR knows what he is doing.

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Wow you really thought MM was getting $7mil a year?! I figured 5 tops 3-4 years ... he got a bit less then 4 a year and 2 years (and the 2 years was most likely on purpose due to the cap raise). Jacksonville WAYYYY over paid for Robinson (given his body of work) however Robineson way out performed MM this year. And he showed something that MM has never been able to ... consistancy (same with Garcon). Now having said all that, can you imagine how much Cruz is going to cost us if he has another year like 2011, in 2012? Ouch.If and only IF Cruz has the same year this upcoming year as he did last year, HE is worth it. You dont come across guys like Cruz very often.</P>

And as far as M.M. goes, oh well, the grass was greener somewhere else and I have confidence the Giants coaches plus Eli will develop another up and coming reciever this season. God forbid we get another Cruz story this season...... these boards will lite up with "Im glad M.M. went somewhere else threads". I will eat crow if we dont, plus a side of stale beer.</P>

Redeyejedi
03-23-2012, 08:07 PM

In comparison to what other FA WR's Josh Morgan, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Garcon, Robert Meachem etc..were signing for ...It's pretty cheap.It screws us out of a good comp pick as well. Kind of a waste letting a 3rd rounder walk like that

Garbloz
03-23-2012, 08:24 PM
1st off mm was a good giant i wouldn't mind him back.

i think he chose there cause they are contenders , he had trouble understanding our offensive scheme more money, and he wanted more targets.

i'm not sure if i would say he's not smart like others that talk about him cause many people would struggle in front of the camera for interviews and our o is very complicated. people should lay off he's never done anything to seem like a bad guy or teammate.

buffyblue
03-23-2012, 08:35 PM
That contract will pay him more than NY Giants were willing to give him. I think MM could have gotten more but it is a good contract.

chizz
03-23-2012, 08:54 PM
giants couldnt match this?

Harooni
03-23-2012, 09:19 PM
giants couldnt match this? nope , not for a #3. hell we wouldnt give BJ 2mill

GMENAGAIN

It what universe is it a bad decision to take 4 times the money, as Steve Smith did? </P>

All for a guy who can barely get on the field. That was the BEST decision Steve Smith could have ever made. If he had taken the Giants offer he would be $3MM poorer and still be on the street.</P>

</P>

+100</P>

Nailed it Craven!</P>

bigblue5611
i heard hes supposed to do some mall event in Harrisburg tomorrow...maybe ill go and bust his chops that he needs a new agent LMAO!

Flip Empty
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
That contract makes no sense for him at all. He would have been better off staying with us since he already knows the system.
He's getting paid more than he would in NY, how does that not make sense?

bigblue5611
03-23-2012, 09:35 PM
He's getting paid more than he would in NY, how does that not make sense?

i think the concern here is he couldve perhaps done better ...on a more WR friendly team...this couldve been worse for him if san fran had lost smith..

myles2424
03-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Wow......Meacham & garçon killed Mario contract wise & Id rather have him instead...

JJC7301
03-24-2012, 01:27 AM
Damn.. now I wish we kept him.. that is a CHEAP price for a guy of his talent... I guess he just left for the extra reps he will get there
Wow, I would have thought that we could have afforded that at least.

BigBlue1971
03-24-2012, 02:23 AM
something must be missing from the information!</P>

the Giants surely could have matched and/or exceeded that amount for Manningham!</P>

seems like very little for a potential #1 receiver!</P>

</P>

jhamburg
03-24-2012, 03:25 AM

I have to admit, I'm kinda shocked at the opinions here. We have a season where teams are throwing $30-50 million at mediocre receivers left and right, and you guys are saying a guy in his prime getting *$2 million* guaranteed is a good contract for him?

He's waiting for a big payday in 2014 after a few years with Alex Smith throwing to him? That's going to get him more exposure than making a super bowl winning catch?

I can't believe this argument even exists.

NYGRealityCheck
03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
Here's Manningham's contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/mario-manningham/