PDA

View Full Version : TE situation

DownWitJPP
03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
I just heard that Bear Pascoe isn't even signed for this upcoming season. Who is going to be our backup TE behind Martellus Bennett? (I know we have Ballard, but he is starting on the PUP list and might not even play this year due to his injury being so late in the season)

currently on our roster we have Ryan Purvis, and Larry Donnell, does anyone know anything about either of these guys? are they any good?

Do you guys think we will add another TE in the draft? I don't think they take a TE in the early rounds of the draft, we seem to be able to develop late round TE's or undrafted guys just fine like Boss and Ballard.

G-Man67
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
i'm sure we will draft one and i don't know what kinda money Pascoe could get as FA... he may be testing the waters, but will eventually realize his best spot is back with us</P>

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Bear is a restricted free agent ... so unless we're getting draft picks he's already signed with the team through 2012.

DownWitJPP
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Bear is a restricted free agent ... so unless we're getting draft picks he's already signed with the team through 2012. just looked at the NFL website and it says he is a restricted free agent like you said. But earlier today Mike Garofolo said that Pascoe has yet to be signed

Right now the Giants have 2: M. Bennett and R. Purvis. Pascoe yet to be signed. RT @mikekeefer: I like him but do we need 90 TE's #nyg

DownWitJPP
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Bear is a restricted free agent ... so unless we're getting draft picks he's already signed with the team through 2012. just looked at the NFL website and it says he is a restricted free agent like you said. But earlier today Mike Garofolo said that Pascoe has yet to be signed

Right now the Giants have 2: M. Bennett and R. Purvis. Pascoe yet to be signed. RT @mikekeefer: I like him but do we need 90 TE's #nyg

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 03:04 PM

Being an RFA means that he's signed with us unless someone offers him a contract, in which case we have to match or we get draft picks from the offering team.

MattMeyerBud
03-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Bear is a restricted free agent ... so unless we're getting draft picks he's already signed with the team through 2012.

awesome, wasn't aware of that. Thought he was a UFA.

Was kinda wondering why we weren't looking to get him. Hes pretty valuable to us. Can step in at FB or TE

DownWitJPP
03-23-2012, 03:12 PM
i know what a RFA is, but Mike made it sound as if he wan't signed at all. Maybe he made a mistake

anyway do any of you guys know anything about Ryan Purvis or Larry Donnell?

I thought the same thing Matt after I read Garofolo's tweet

slipknottin
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
i know what a RFA is, but Mike made it sound as if he wan't signed at all. Maybe he made a mistake

Well the giants have to give him a tender offer, he doesnt have to sign it yet. He can go months without signing it if he wants, makes no real difference.

The question is whether the giants have given him a tender offer or not.

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM

Was kinda wondering why we weren't looking to get him. Hes pretty valuable to us.* Can step in at FB or TE

Not sure how much of this got changed by the new CBA but it should be fairly the same:

An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-23-2012, 03:20 PM
i know what a RFA is, but Mike made it sound as if he wan't signed at all. Maybe he made a mistake anyway do any of you guys know anything about Ryan Purvis or Larry Donnell? Well the giants have to give him a tender offer, he doesnt have to sign it yet. He can go months without signing it if he wants, makes no real difference. The question is whether the giants have given him a tender offer or not.</P>

I think in order for them to maintain him as an RFA he had to tender and offer to hom before FA hit b/c that tender is what sets the market for what type of compensation they would receive if they don't match the offer. </P>

I'm sure they did tender him, and not surprising that it wouldn't make much news. </P>

MattMeyerBud
03-23-2012, 03:20 PM

Was kinda wondering why we weren't looking to get him. Hes pretty valuable to us. Can step in at FB or TE

Not sure how much of this got changed by the new CBA but it should be fairly the same:

An Exclusive-Rights Free Agent is an NFL player who is not under contract, but has only two years of NFL experience. If his former club makes him an offer at the three year veteran minimum salary, then that's it, he has to take it or leave the NFL. These guys have no right to negotiate with other teams. They are "free" only in the sense that they're free to quit.

good times lol

so thats whats going to be the issue with cruz after this year then too

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 03:21 PM

I thought the same thing Matt after I read Garofolo's tweet

Technically he's not signed. But he can't really play for another team short of the Giants not offering him anything (vet min).

The assumption is that they will. There's no rush on the Giants end.

Purvis has some upside but not a ton. 2 years with Tampa ... couldn't really crack the starting lineup with Kellen Winslow Jr. on the team.

Not a whole lot to be excited about with him ... kind of a plug and play guy (think Pascoe but perhaps not as versatile).

Don't know anything about Donnel.

We also have Christian Hopkins on the practice squad who is getting a lot of buzz (but practice squad is practice squad).

Kruunch
03-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Was kinda wondering why we weren't looking to get him. Hes pretty valuable to us.* Can step in at FB or TE

good times lol

Yeah which is why you're hearing a lot of mid range 2 year deals being talked about with respect to Cruz.

Chances are if he picks up right where he left off, Reese will throw a 5 year, $29 mil contract at him or something to that extent and try to wow him with some big total numbers (i.e. what we did with Osi and Tuck).

MattMeyerBud
03-23-2012, 03:28 PM

good times lol

Yeah which is why you're hearing a lot of mid range 2 year deals being talked about with respect to Cruz.

Chances are if he picks up right where he left off, Reese will throw a 5 year, $29 mil contract at him or something to that extent and try to wow him with some big total numbers (i.e. what we did with Osi and Tuck).

if that happens - getting NIcks and Cruz should be realistic

giantsfan420
03-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Ballard and bennett are both signed to one year contracts with ballard on the pup. Beckum is also on pp. We still need at least one but def.two.

Which is why i think we go fleener if hes there. We can use him as a slot option right away to work on smaller corners and safeties and lbs where he has the clear advantage each way. We can develop him as a te behind bennett and to an extent pascoe. Fleener is an avg blocker, stanford ran a heavy set offense and he was asked to block an an inline te all the time, hes just not dominant and has room to improve.

Then when ballard returns we can ease him in...we ll see

DownWitJPP
03-23-2012, 03:35 PM
I wouldn't mind Fleener, but I don't think we are gonna draft a TE that high. We do fine developing late round talent. I could be wrong though since Mike Pope was at Flenner's pro day yesterday

swimeasy
03-23-2012, 03:39 PM

good times lol

Ah so. Makes sense now. Thanks!

nygsb42champs
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Pascoe is a restricted free agent. He will be back. That gives us Bennett, Pascoe and a youngster until Ballard is healthy.

G-Man67
03-23-2012, 04:49 PM
good update ... yeah we're OK ... let's see what Mr. Bennett can do ... if he doesn't get it done, then maybe Ballard comes back midway thru the season or somebody else steps up

RoanokeFan
03-23-2012, 05:01 PM

"yet to be signed" in this case means Pasoce is hoping someone shows enough interest to raise his stock. It's a strategy. I think he'll be here this season.