PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' OL PICTURE NOT YET IN FOCUS

RoanokeFan
03-24-2012, 11:51 AM
GIANTS' OL PICTURE NOT YET IN FOCUS (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/03/24/giants-ol-picture-not-yet-in-focus)

"With ORT Kareem McKenzie not in the teamís plans for next
season ó he has been told heís free to shop his services elsewhere ó the
offensive line once more will undergo some changes. What those final plans will
be, however, are not yet clear. Assuming OLT Will Beatty (eye)
is fine in his return, he will start again, as he did before the injury.
Kevin Boothe figures to be the left guard again, next to
C David Baas and ORG Chris Snee. But right
tackle remains open. The most likely candidates are Dave Diehl,
the teamís jack-of-all-trades who has played several spots on the line, or 2011
fourth-rounder James Brewer. Diehl would be the safer play, as
itís not yet clear if Brewer (who barely played as a rookie) is ready for the
big step up. Another option would be to bring back Tony Ugoh, a
Colts castoff who has starting experience. However, you cannot rule out the
Giants drafting an offensive lineman high óin fact, itís a distinct
possibility."

drbones
03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
If Beatty is healthy I like him at LT

Diehl at LG

Baas at C

Snee at RG

Brewster at RT

with Petus, Boothe and draft picks in the mix

other options are Ugoh, andrews,

Verve
03-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Kevin Boothe is a joke at LG. Too slow to pull or trap and not phyiscal at the point of attack. We need an upgrade. Does not help that Bass was awful next to him either.

A decent speedy YAC RB like David Wilson could make them look better than they really are.

nhpgiantsfan
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Diehl at LG

Baas at C

Snee at RG

Brewster at RT

Diehl flat out sucked at guard last year. Boothe is a lock to start there.

nhpgiantsfan
03-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Kevin Boothe is a joke at LG. Too slow to pull or trap and not phyiscal at the point of attack. We need an upgrade. Does not help that Bass was awful next to him either.

A decent speedy YAC RB like David Wilson could make them look better than they really are.

You're nuts! Boothe was our best lineman last year. He is def starting this year...

Roxersboxers
03-24-2012, 03:23 PM
I think Petrus and Boothe are both good options at LG. They will battle it out in camp and either one could wind-up starting.

NYFan221
03-24-2012, 03:34 PM
I miss the days of ohara, snee, seubert, deihl, and mckenzie man.... I really would love to have a set, stable, above average line again :(

RoanokeFan
03-24-2012, 03:51 PM

In 2010,when we went 5 straight games without surrendering a sack, a record BTW, Boothe was the LG I believe. He also plays center well enough to start on some teams.

swimeasy
03-24-2012, 04:06 PM

In 2010,when we went 5 straight games without surrendering a sack, a record BTW, Boothe was the LG I believe. He also plays center well enough to start on some teams.

IA Ro, Boothe has my vote for center until and if Baas wins it in camp.

rainierjef
03-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Honestly if it were up too me.

RT - D.DEIHL
RG - C.SNEE
C - K.BOOTHE
LG - M.PETRUS
LT - W.BEATTY

but because of the money tied into Baas they will force him to play that spot until its clear as day hes the weakest link in the line.

XxBigWhitxX
03-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I think we should go

Beatty-Petrus-Baas-Snee-Brewer/Pick

Harooni
03-24-2012, 08:32 PM
I hate the whole thing - snee. but even snee is on the decline.

we failed to draft linemen early in rounds over the years.

JJC7301
03-24-2012, 11:38 PM

Diehl at LG

Baas at C

Snee at RG

Brewster at RT

That's how it's going to be and I agree that there is going to be a high draft pick in there somewhere. I also think that either Boothe or Petrus will be starting at LG and that Diehl will be backing-up at both LG and LT.

I don't think that Beatty is horrible, but I don't really like him as a long-term solution either.

OsiStrahan#1combo
03-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Cant we just draft a BEAST OL already?.. i always feel like when i see other teams, they look like they have MONSTERS up front. We look like we have skinny or to fat, or too slow of offensive lineman with no push.

Toadofsteel
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
We need to draft OL in the first 3 rounds this year... Everyone either sucks or is old. Eli being the QB and leader that he is made the line look way better than it was in 2011. The OL was why we couldn't run the ball for **** too...

Captain Chaos
03-25-2012, 09:45 AM
That is true; however, our run game wasn't allthat good. The team needs to get better at blocking that up. Brewster came in with LT potential, if McKenzie was told his services weren't needed any longer then I would bet the front office has a plan and my guess it includes Brewster.

oldschoolGMEN
03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
I agree. David Baas was a joke. If he does not start we need to cut him. He is way overpaid.

Redeyejedi
03-25-2012, 10:02 AM
We can not put David Diehl at LG again. He was an absolute train wreck

Redeyejedi
03-25-2012, 10:05 AM
I think the Giants are still looking for OL help. They wanted Solder , Ijalana and both went before the Giants picked. I could see them taking Amini Silatolu early

buddy33
03-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Beatty was having a decent year before being injured.

Let's see what Brewer us all about. He was drafted as a guy with loads of ability but raw. Maybe he takes over at RT and is an upgrade because KMac, as much as I like the player, was horrible last year.

I'm hoping Baas can be better this year with a full camp and no injuries to set him back?

If Baas plays better and RT plays better that should help Snee. Snee was surrounded by bad OL play las year.

I think their biggest question might be LG. Diehl, as much of a fan favorite that he is, was not very good last year. I likemBoothe but not sure if he could be a starter. He might just be a great fill in guy. Not sold on Petris at all. Didn't see enough of him reall, but I'd say on what we saw he struggles at pass blocking and is better at run blocking.

NorwoodBlue
03-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Giants ran the ball best last year with Boothe at center, and Petrus LG. They definitely had a drop off when Baas came back. I'm hoping we get Beatty back , AND a high draft pick on the O-line. Then have a real competition, and get your best 5 on the field.

RoanokeFan
03-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Is the problem with the OLine the talent or the fact that they've not had enough time on the field as a unit? I think it's the latter issue more than talent.

hugehomer
03-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Petrus stinks at pass protect. Brewer hasnt played.,

hugehomer
03-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Snee has had two down years not one. He is no longer a Pro Bowler.

Toadofsteel
03-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Beatty-Boothe-Baas-Snee-Brewer

<font color="#FF0000">Then maybe draft some awesome guy for RG whose name starts with a B</font>

RoanokeFan
03-25-2012, 12:01 PM
The OLine is the one unit that demands that each member of the unit knows what the other members are going to do under any circumstance. Think back a few years ago when Sean O'Hara and Rich Seubert played with Snee, McKenzie and Diehl. They all knew what everyone else was going to do in any given situation. They played together for 8 or 9 years and THAT was what defined them as a great OLine more than each individual player's contribution.

We draft players with that in mind. We can see that in Beatty's and Boothe's performances. The organization has, it seems to me, an infinite amount of patience with their developing players. It's how we operate and it pays off.

hugehomer
03-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Good idea. Draft Tony Bergstrom from Utah.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-25-2012, 01:39 PM
I disagree with some of you. I think Beatty will make a fine LT. The coaches seem to be high on Brewer. Petrus has shown some great stuff too. I think we have some quality linemen in the wings who are ready to come out and play.

ryan12
03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I think Petrus and Boothe are both good options at LG. They will battle it out in camp and either one could wind-up starting.

agreed

Vtgmenfan89
03-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Diehl at LG

Baas at C

Snee at RG

Brewster at RT

Did you watch Giants football with Diehl at LG? Absolutely the worst O-line play I've seen this team have in years. Diehl will play left or right tackle or not be on this team, as they wont pay him starter money to not start. He was plain awful at guard. Petrus and Boothe should fight for that spot and Boothe should also compete with Baas for center as he was very suspect all year.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-26-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't think our OL position is as bad as it seems. We simply suffered from a couple of things happenign at once. </P>

1. KMac physically breaking down after having a good 2010 year. </P>

2. Dehl having a huge drop off from his previous seasons. I suspect he'll return to what he's normally been for us (a steady player) rather than the disaster he was last season. I think much of that had to do with how much he was moved around throughout the shortened offseason and season. He never really got to settle in. </P>

3. Baas had an injury filled season coming to a new team. Do not write him off, he was a good player in SF for a number of years and FA's often struggle in their first season (see Boley, Canty) while getting settled to a new team, environment, living area. </P>

I think Dehl and Baas both bounce back this year and more resemble the players they've traditionally been. B/t Petrus and Boothe we'll have a nice competition for the LG spot and whoever wins will be a solid starter there. I think our interior line will be fine b/t Petrus, Boothe, Snee and Baas. And I also don't count out Koets as coming back as some point to possibly add depth there. </P>

Although I feel confident in Beatty and think b/t Dehl and Brewer we'll get a good RT, we need to bring in another OT via the draft to compete and possibly bring back one of the vets from last season b/t ugoh and andrews to compete for depth. </P>

nycsportzfan
03-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I think the Giants are still looking for OL help. They wanted Solder , Ijalana and both went before the Giants picked. I could see them taking Amini Silatolu early I think Kevin Zeitler will be in play as well as Silatolu in RD 2, and if there not around, a guy like Jeff Allen and james brown in RD 3 could be in play, with guys like tom compton as mid rd targets.. Those are some giants type draft picks i could see for the oline, and i could see Konz as well, if he slips in RD 1...

MattMeyerBud
03-26-2012, 03:19 PM

what were u watching?

alau53
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM
everyone is an expert who know more than jerry reese..if boothe is so slow & terrible why did jerry give him a nice contract..beatty & brewer are high for offensive lineman draft picks who should develop..did the giants win the super bowl because of these guys or in spite of them..could TC actually be able to cut his son in law snee