PDA

View Full Version : Osi Umenyiora - this is the guy most of you don't want to resign? or wanted to trade?

NYG4lifeNYK
03-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Sorry to piggy back or hi-jack your thread Nevada11 but this is a FANTASTIC video and I can't possibly see how some people would want to trade and elite DE. Quite possibly the best pass rusher in the NFL.

It's asinine to me..

Watch this video that Nevada11 posted if you ever wanted Osi gone, traded, cut, what have you.

I hope Reese gives him a 3-4 year extension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlKDo_m694

radar-ray
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Sorry to piggy back or hi-jack your thread Nevada11 but this is a FANTASTIC video you made and I can't possibly see how some people would want to trade and elite DE. Quite possibly the best pass rusher in the NFL.

It's asinine to me..

Watch this video that Nevada11 made if you ever wanted Osi gone, traded, cut, what have you.

Agree 1000%!!!

BigBlue1971
03-24-2012, 03:36 PM
i think his attitude the last 12-15 months made people step away from him!</P>

i felt betrayed by him when he went out talking bout his contract and JR! </P>

he redeemed himself during the season by wreaking havoc on defense.</P>

imo he does deserve a fair contract from the Giants! </P>

nevada11
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
no no no i didnt make it LOL

NYG4lifeNYK
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
i think his attitude the last 12-15 months made people step away from him!</p>

i felt betrayed by him when he went out talking bout his contract and JR! </p>

he redeemed himself during the season by wreaking havoc on defense.</p>

imo he does deserve a fair contract from the Giants! </p>

It was part of the CBA... he had to file any claims.

it's not like he openly came out and said this stuff to the media. That's what people don't understand. His attitude was fine I don't get why people made him out to be a cancer...ever.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-24-2012, 03:41 PM
no no no i didnt make it LOL

Oh my apologies, still a great video you posted.

RagTime Blue
03-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I hope he has the kind of season that will make him the top-paid DE in the league.

How's that for diplomacy?

nhpgiantsfan
03-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Tuck and JPP are great players but Osi is a game changer. Lock him up!

EJ Blue
03-24-2012, 04:28 PM

i felt betrayed by him when he went out talking bout his contract and JR! </p>

imo he does deserve a fair contract from the Giants! </p>Isn't this what happened in the '10 season, then he played well, THEN he got pissed at Jerry for not living up to whatever they agreed upon, then played well AGAIN in 2011.

Anyway, I won't even get into this because I'll get flamed for not supporting Reese.

buddy33
03-24-2012, 05:23 PM
It's not about wanting to get rid of him as much as it is that he wants lots of money.

They have to take care of Tuck next year.

gmen46
03-24-2012, 05:29 PM

i felt betrayed by him when he went out talking bout his contract and JR!* </p>

imo he does deserve a fair contract from the Giants!* </p>

it's not like he openly came out and said this stuff to the media. That's what people don't understand. His attitude was fine I don't get why people made him out to be a cancer...ever.

I'm with you 100% re this. I never got the "hate" about his so called bad attitude the past year. Misunderstood quotes and their contexts, mostly.

The only time in his career he really could be described as having a bad "attitude" was near the end of 2009 season. And he apologized for that behavior right before the 2010 season, in front of all players, coaches, FO, and the fans who were at that dinner. On video.

And frankly, if anyone on defense that year did NOT have an attitude, they should have, because they were all horrendous that season (except TT).

And as for people clinging to Osi as "not good against the run", that was true his first few years, but not 2010 and 2011. Some fans should try actually watching a player's game before blindly criticizing that player with such broad brushes.

It simply cannot be over stated how blessed we are as fans to witness a D Line that has JPP, Tuck, AND Osi--and Kiwi in certain defense packages.

THAT's what I'm clinging to, for as long as we can keep them.

DVision
03-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I think everyone who says Osi is a one dimensional player and can only rush the passer need to take a look at that video!

rainierjef
03-24-2012, 05:48 PM
it was an affidavit guys which can be voluntary or subpoenaed. Osi wasn't the only one to file it apparently alot of guys unnamed from all 32 teams did as well. Osi might not have been the only giant to put one in, he was just the noticeable one cause his case was the best one to use too show mistrust and UN-proper business formats used by organizations to players.

i love the way he attacks the ball, to have a knack from stripping the ball away is not taught that's hustle right there. it's almost like he doesn't even care about putting hands on the QB just getting the ball stripped. i hope he retires a Giant, he deserves it.
Anti-Osi's have quieted down though he gave them no leg to stand on.

gumby742
03-24-2012, 05:56 PM
It's not about wanting to get rid of him as much as it is that he wants lots of money.

This. we have a TON of people to pay coming up. Osi is arguably the 3rd best DE on the team.

gmen46
03-24-2012, 06:03 PM

This. we have a TON of people to pay coming up. Osi is arguably the 3rd best DE on the team.

But the point is that our "3rd best DE on the team" is better than the best DE on many other teams.

NYG4lifeNYK
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM

While that may be true he's the best pass rusher, possibly in the NFL.

There's no one that gets off the ball as quick as Osi. If we could get constant push up the middle we would have so many more sacks because Osi makes the QB step up and move around.

That sack of Matty Ryan where he completely manhandled LT Will Svitek was unbelievable.... Osi should never play for another team other than the G-Men<a href="http://www.nfl.com/player/willsvitek/2506522/profile">
</a>

rainierjef
03-24-2012, 06:07 PM
we rotate our D-Line that's the system we use and that is not going to change. So even if hes the 3rd best hes still a starter cause of the system we run. let the giants worry about money and who to pay and what the cap is you just worry about cheering on sundays and mondays

NYG4lifeNYK
03-24-2012, 06:08 PM

But the point is that our "3rd best DE on the team" is better than the best DE on many other teams.

I know people say "he's arguably the 3rd best DE" like that's a bad thing. All that illustrates is that our D-line is ridiculously talented.

We have 3 DE's in the top 10 in Osi, Tuck &amp; JPP... that's unheard of

NYG4lifeNYK
03-24-2012, 06:10 PM
we rotate our D-Line that's the system we use and that is not going to change. So even if hes the 3rd best hes still a starter cause of the system we run. let the giants worry about money and who to pay and what the cap is you just worry about cheering on sundays and mondays

<font color="#FF0000">Great now we can't cheer on thursdays or anytime our game gets moved for whatever reason?!</font> [:@] [8o|]

DownWitJPP
03-24-2012, 06:10 PM
he may be the 3rd best DE on the team, JPP and Tuck are more well rounded DE's, but Osi is a game changer like others have mentioned. His pass rush skill set, and ability to consistently create turnovers is irreplaceable IMO.

Sacks by Tuck and JPP are awesome don't get me wrong, but Osi usually gets the ball

I want him to retire a Giant

buddy33
03-24-2012, 06:12 PM
So let's say he wants lots of money. How do they pay him? Hey have no room. I'm not sure how they are going to pay Tuck. Then the next year Nicks and Cruz. Where are they getting all this money.

rainierjef
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM

<font color="#FF0000">Great now we can't cheer on thursdays or anytime our game gets moved for whatever reason?!</font> [:@] [8o|]

Meh.... thursday games! so scarce lol

DVision
03-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Having 3 top notch DE's has been the key to our success defensively!

rainierjef
03-24-2012, 06:23 PM
So let's say he wants lots of money. How do they pay him? Hey have no room. I'm not sure how they are going to pay Tuck. Then the next year Nicks and Cruz. Where are they getting all this money.

Reese was the one that said top 5 DE dollar not Osi.

during that whole off season Osi has not said public the dollar amount he wanted, fans and media just spun crazy off the wording of the Affidavit, and assumed their own number.

Even by Reese promise if you take this year and last year results then osi fulfilled his part of that verbal agreement.

Mind you Osi is spliting snaps with jpp and tuck at some instances if he was fulltime his numbers might of been better.

JPP went on record to say he likes having Osi around so he can get rested, to do damage when we need him the most which is in the 4th Q

did i mention we rotate DE's so their basically all like starters.

Osi then said he wouldn't mind taking a pay cut to stay on the team.

why are we having this discussion?

DVision
03-24-2012, 06:26 PM

When we have to resign Nicks won't there be a significant increase in the CAP? Nicks signed a 5 year deal which takes him to 2014.

Harooni
03-24-2012, 06:41 PM
baaahhh show me a video of him staying in the gap and shutting down the RB.

CDN_G-FAN
03-24-2012, 07:56 PM

+1

i've been a 'can't sign osi' guy for a long time.

it has less to do with osi than just math.

it's not that i don't want osi, its just that with the guys that need to get paid coming up, who are you willing to let walk?

and i've heard some guys say "that's for reese to figure out". you're right, it is.

and chances are with Nicks worth $10 mill a season, Cruz worth bare minimum $7, Tuck's contract coming up, JPP's contract coming up, chances are his solution will be to let our 3rd DE go, especially since he wants to get a raise.

i think there's this idea the fans hate Osi. I don't hate him at all.

he's just in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong GM that sealed his fate when he paid a free agent safety and DT what alot of starting corners get around the league.

it's the way it goes, and if Osi is looking for a raise, he's got a better shot getting it someplace else.

CDN_G-FAN
03-24-2012, 08:02 PM

When we have to resign Nicks won't there be a significant increase in the CAP? Nicks signed a 5 year deal which takes him to 2014.

there wasn't this year. i wouldn't assume there will be by then either.

and if there has been it just means the prices for pieces like Nicks will have gone up too.

BigBlue1971
03-24-2012, 08:21 PM
i think his attitude the last 12-15 months made people step away from him!</P>

i felt betrayed by him when he went out talking bout his contract and JR! </P>

he redeemed himself during the season by wreaking havoc on defense.</P>

imo he does deserve a fair contract from the Giants! </P>

</P>

</P>

i understand but you know how fans are....if a player already under contract causes a stink in public some are gonna rile against him!</P>

i admit i did cuz he didnt seem to think 1st about the team! i dont think he approached "locker room cancer" stages but he did cuz a a riff of sorts with Tuck coming to his rescue.</P>

ive always liked Osi but Jul/Aug last year i wouldve welcomed a good trade for him. </P>

he did man up to squelch the situation and then performed in a way that made his case more visible!</P>

at this moment im glad they didnt trade him and again he deserves a good raise!</P>

</P>

DVision
03-24-2012, 08:36 PM

there wasn't this year. i wouldn't assume there will be by then either.

and if there has been it just means the prices for pieces like Nicks will have gone up too.

The new TV deal kicks in. ESPN, NBC, CBS, and Fox will be paying over a 2 BILLION dollars a year. Fox is paying 1.1 billion alone. Doesn't the new CBA specifically call for 55% of TV revenue to go to the players? The CAP has to take a substantial jump in 2014.

SweetZombieJesus
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
These are the problems with Osi (that you guys either have forgotten or aren't aware of).

(1) He held out of camp this year demanding to be paid as a top 5 DE, which he is NOT. Oh and his agent was trying to get a trade but nobody would bite. Osi is a great situational player but he is not a top 5 DE.
(2) The Giants were ALREADY over the cap so who were they going to cut to pay Osi more money?
(3) JPP.
(4) Tuck and JPP are both playing on bargain contracts and will need to be paid soon.

As the season wore on Osi kept his money woes off the field and seems to have opened back up to the team instead of stomping his feet. If we can get him at a reasonable price, great, I love having him on the team. Otherwise, might as well get some value for him instead of watching him walk as a free agent next year.

JJC7301
03-25-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't want Osi going anywhere, but I want JPP and Tuck around long term because they are the more complete DE's. I want Osi, but we have a lot of talent on the D-line and there's only so much money that can be spent on 1 unit.

I hope that it can be worked out that he can stay long term. I really do.

RagTime Blue
03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
These are the problems with Osi (that you guys either have forgotten or aren't aware of).

(1) He held out of camp this year demanding to be paid as a top 5 DE, which he is NOT. Oh and his agent was trying to get a trade but nobody would bite. Osi is a great situational player but he is not a top 5 DE.
(2) The Giants were ALREADY over the cap so who were they going to cut to pay Osi more money?
(3) JPP.
(4) Tuck and JPP are both playing on bargain contracts and will need to be paid soon.

As the season wore on Osi kept his money woes off the field and seems to have opened back up to the team instead of stomping his feet. If we can get him at a reasonable price, great, I love having him on the team.<font size="6"> Otherwise, might as well get some value for him instead of watching him walk as a free agent next year.</font>

We're going to get some great play motivated by his upcoming FA. And then if he signs big somewhere, he'll be happy and we'll get a comp. pick (which is probably about the same type of pick we'd get for him now. . .except then he wouldn't be playing for us in '12).

Reese knows what he's doing. If Osi misses a lot of games in 2012 due to injury (let's call it), it'll hurt his FA status.

Neverend
03-25-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't get the notion JPP is going to need to get paid

He was a 1st round pick, he got a 5 year deal through 2015. He already said himself during super bowl media week he doesnt care about his contract, is well happy with his current deal, and doesnt see himself asking for more money

Osi highlights are extremely impressive. The crit he gets for the run is played out at this point

gmen46
03-25-2012, 05:32 AM

(1) He held out of camp this year demanding to be paid as a top 5 DE, which he is NOT.* Oh and his agent was trying to get a trade but nobody would bite.* Osi is a great situational player but he is not a top 5 DE.
(3) JPP.

As the season wore on Osi kept his money woes off the field and seems to have opened back up to the team instead of stomping his feet.* If we can get him at a reasonable price, great, I love having him on the team.* Otherwise, might as well get some value for him instead of watching him walk as a free agent next year.

1) He held out for 1 day. One.

2) Giants allowed Osi to try for a trade, but insisted up front they would accept no less than at least a 1st rd draft pick. The Giants pulled him off the market after 48 hours.

Hardly the same as "his agent was trying to get a trade but nobody would bite". You make it sound as if nobody was interested in Osi at all, when in reality nobody within 2 days came up with a 1st rd pick trade offer.

4) JPP is hardly playing "on bargain contract". He's entering his 3rd year of a 5 year mid-first round rookie contract. That's not chump change. And he's 3 years away from needing to be signed to a new contract, whereas Osi will need to be dealt with in less than a year. Which means one does not necessarily have to do with the other.

As for "getting value for him instead of watching him walk as a free agent next year"--you don't get much value at all when you trade a player in his last year of his contract. That would mean that the new team would have him for only 1 year before needing to enter into new contract negotiations. What team wants to trade anything of value for a player for essentially only 1 year--because who knows whether that new team would be able keep that player?

As such, there is no way we would get anywhere close in value from a trade of Osi this off season, compared to what we will get from him playing his *** off in his contract year.

Osi will not be traded.

nhpgiantsfan
03-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I don't get the notion JPP is going to need to get paid

He was a 1st round pick, he got a 5 year deal through 2015. He already said himself during super bowl media week he doesnt care about his contract, is well happy with his current deal, and doesnt see himself asking for more money

Osi highlights are extremely impressive. The crit he gets for the run is played out at this point

Money is an issue for everyone. His agent knows the best time for him to maximize his salary. He had a break out year this year and everyone involved with the Giants says that he barely scratched the surface of his potential. If this is truely the case than JPP is probably some day going to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. When his agent feels the time is right, he will be getting paid...

Coach Carter
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
baaahhh show me a video of him staying in the gap and shutting down the RB.

show me a vide of you staying in the gap.

BlueSanta
03-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Armchair GMs, thats all I see here.

Players in the last year of a contract are extremely hard to trade. Teams dont want to trade picks a for guy and have him walk 1 year later. That means they will require him to renegotiate a new contract as a stipulation of the trade. No team will sign a contract with a player without 1st letting their doctors have a look at him. The players may not be ok with that, as Osi was not during contract talks with us last year.

Then there is how much Osi wants. Last year, most felt he was asking for too much money from the Giants(top 5 DE money.) However, if he again has high demands it will kill any chance of a team being able totrade for him because they will not only have to pay the high pricetag which we were unwilling to pay, but they will have to give up draft picks to us in trade.

BlueSanta
03-26-2012, 02:56 AM
I agree with everything you say except this.

Remember, Osi injured his knee in 2010 and hid the injury from team. The Surgery should have been performed in January of 2011, however he tried to hide the injury to keep his renegotiation value from dropping. It backfired when the Giants refused him the big contract he wanted and he had to have the surgery done in late August, missing all of the preseason and the 1st 3 games. However, had the Giants granted him the contract he STILL would have needed the surgery so what he did was in very bad faith.

Just because his "holdout" was over does not mean that he didnt intentionally miss over a month of important preparations on top of 3 games(2 divisional).

gmen46
03-26-2012, 04:43 AM

Remember, Osi injured his knee in 2010 and hid the injury from team. The Surgery should have been performed in January of 2011, however he tried to hide* the injury to keep his renegotiation value from dropping. It backfired when the Giants refused him the big contract he wanted and he had to have the surgery done in late August, missing all of the preseason and the 1st 3 games.* However, had the Giants granted him the contract he STILL would have needed the surgery so what he did was in very bad faith.

Just because his "holdout" was over does not mean that he didnt intentionally miss over a month of important preparations on top of 3 games(2 divisional).

I know this is the "common wisdom" on this board--that he chose knee surgery in a fit of pique--but there is no established evidence that was the case.

Professional sports is full of athletes who injure themselves during or near the end of one season. have no surgery during the off season, then "all of a sudden" they need to have surgery right before the following season, keeping them out of multiple games of the new season.

Could it not be at all possible that Osi, after consultation with the team's training staff and his doctor during the prolonged off season thought he did not really need surgery, only to find after he finally had a couple days of actual pre season camp work outs that his knee problem was not going to disappear and that surgery--the sooner the better--was in fact his best option? Not even possible that thought process occurred?

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
03-26-2012, 05:29 AM
The thing is, it's not even just that he is a great pass rusher, Osi is incredible at creating turnovers. Out of his sacks, a very high proportion of them have been forced-fumbles. Sacks are great and can stop drives, but a forced fumble is much better.

He just fits into our system great working along with Tuck and JPP and Kiwi.

BlueSanta
03-26-2012, 06:58 AM

Remember, Osi injured his knee in 2010 and hid the injury from team. The Surgery should have been performed in January of 2011, however he tried to hide the injury to keep his renegotiation value from dropping. It backfired when the Giants refused him the big contract he wanted and he had to have the surgery done in late August, missing all of the preseason and the 1st 3 games. However, had the Giants granted him the contract he STILL would have needed the surgery so what he did was in very bad faith.

I know this is the "common wisdom" on this board--that he chose knee surgery in a fit of pique--but there is no established evidence that was the case.

Professional sports is full of athletes who injure themselves during or near the end of one season. have no surgery during the off season, then "all of a sudden" they need to have surgery right before the following season, keeping them out of multiple games of the new season.

Could it not be at all possible that Osi, after consultation with the team's training staff and his doctor during the prolonged off season thought he did not really need surgery, only to find after he finally had a couple days of actual pre season camp work outs that his knee problem was not going to disappear and that surgery--the sooner the better--was in fact his best option? Not even possible that thought process occurred?

No its not possible, not in this instance.

Have look at THIS (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-08-04/sports/29873915_1_giants-gm-jerry-reese-osi-umenyiora-hip-surgery) article from the Daily news. It is just 1, but there are plenty others.

As you can see Osi claimed he was very healthy in June, then on Auguest 4th, only after contract negotiations fell apart did he mention his knee. The Giants had no idea he had an issue with his knee and suggested it was just a ploy.

Again, I agree with what you say about Osi but he did not just hold out 1 day. True, he showed up to camp 1 day after the veteran due date. But, he did not practice or work out for the team for almost 2 weeks because of his contract situation and his knee. He also did not allow the team doctors near him. It wasnt until August 19th that he moved to have the surgery.

Even if you excuse him not having the surgery in January, he still could have had the knee surgery done in early August when he 1st brought it up. Had he done so he would have only missed 1 game at most, perhaps none.

MattMeyerBud
03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Sorry to piggy back or hi-jack your thread Nevada11 but this is a FANTASTIC video and I can't possibly see how some people would want to trade and elite DE. Quite possibly the best pass rusher in the NFL.

It's asinine to me..

Watch this video that Nevada11 posted if you ever wanted Osi gone, traded, cut, what have you.

i dunno who you've been talking to

but nobody wants to sign him for top 5 DE money and we shouldn't, because hes not even top 2 overall DE on our team

gumby742
03-26-2012, 09:59 AM
It's not about wanting to get rid of him as much as it is that he wants lots of money. They have to take care of Tuck next year. This. we have a TON of people to pay coming up. Osi is arguably the 3rd best DE on the team.

While that may be true he's the best pass rusher, possibly in the NFL.

There's no one that gets off the ball as quick as Osi. If we could get constant push up the middle we would have so many more sacks because Osi makes the QB step up and move around.

That sack of Matty Ryan where he completely manhandled LT Will Svitek was unbelievable.... Osi should never play for another team other than the G-Men<A href="http://www.nfl.com/player/willsvitek/2506522/profile">
</A></P>

At the end of the day, it's about value. Let's say even though he's third on the depth chart, he's a top DE in the NFL. He's still a part timer. Now, would you rather pay a back up DE monster money? Or, let's say we rotate our DE's and every DE sees equal time. Paying 3 DEs big time money isn't sustainable anyway.</P>

I would rather rather work on paying, Cruz, Nicks, Tuck, KP, Webster, Joseph, etc. Can't pay them all. Heck, we can probably resign only 2 of the 6.</P>

Harlem2va
03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
The trade talk had nothing to do with talent; it was about attitude. If Osi doesn't want to play and fakes being hurt what can you do!! He was almost becoming a Moss play when he wants; so the decision was made to let him shop his services, but we had to get something good in return. Osi is a awesome player; but if you tie up too much money on him 10 - 12 million - then what happens to our young talent - Nicks, JPP, Cruz?? When Taylor retired we thought the world would end, when Strahan retired we cried but it seems the Giants continue to find a way to win footballs games, so if he pulls that crap again yes we'll shop him to see what we can get - we need all of our plays to dance to the same music if we want to win Superbowls!!

NJ10
03-26-2012, 12:00 PM
There is no denying he is a beast when he wants to be and if he is healthy. I hope we can extend him like another 2 or 3 years make him happy bump up his salary a little. He has a lot of good football in him and I would hate to see him play anywhere but there. But the question is does he want to be here?

TrueBlue@NYC
03-26-2012, 12:20 PM
There is no denying he is a beast when he wants to be and if he is healthy. I hope we can extend him like another 2 or 3 years make him happy bump up his salary a little. He has a lot of good football in him and I would hate to see him play anywhere but there. But the question is does he want to be here?
</P>

The optimal thing would be to give him a short term extension that expires in time for the 2014 offseason where the salary cap is supposed to go up significantly, and JPPs' deal will be about due. This way we clear our cap of an aging Osi by then and can combine that to resign JPP to what will likely be a monster deal assuming he keeps up his current progression as a player. </P>

Osi will be on the market at a time when teams will have more money to throw around and he'll be able to get a good deal since teams always spend big on pass rushers. Even aging ones. </P>

G-Man67
03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
well he has pretty much made it clear that he is interested in testing the FA waters in 2013 and he really hasnt been realistic about his value ... he actually thought a team would give up a number 1 for him ... love Osi, but you can't exactly negotiate unless both parties are realistic</P>

which short term is good news for us, b/c he will play his butt off next year</P>

and if he gets hurt or slows down ... we have no future commitment to him</P>

let's just sit back and see how it all goes unless he comes to us and says, hey i'm willing to take a reasonable deal, i want to stay a Giant</P>