PDA

View Full Version : JPP & 2010 NFL Draft

Antwuan
03-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Remember when some Giants Fans wanted Rolando McClain #15?

Also some Giants Fans wanted the Giants to trade up. I will say this im not going to lie I wanted a MLB at the time because Pierce was cut and I was hoping the Giants could find a guy that could fill the void but I was also quite happy with JPP #15 because I was willing to give him a chance and sure enough JPP has become a stud/pro-bowl DE in his 2nd second season. I give a lot of credit to Jerry Resse he is the man, we are fortunate to have a great GM like him. I trust Jerry Resse.

titwio
03-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Reese was very high on Spiller in 2010 and he would have been Reese's first choice...then McClain, then JPP.

I admit I didn't want JPP and I was literally praying the Giants wouldn't take him but...I'm happy I was wrong about him. He's been phenomenal.

B-Red22
03-24-2012, 07:59 PM
i wasn't a huge fan of the pick at the time, i didn't hate the pick either though, i thought he would b a project that would take 4 years to make a big impact, but JPP has become my favorite player on this team, crazy how things work out

Neverend
03-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Will admit, I was scared to death it was even reported the giants really liked JPP. JPP was everyone's popular "boom or bust" pick and people made it out to seem like he had poor work ethic and wasnt very intelligent so people just thought he would underachieve in the NFL

Credit to reese, best pick hes made

Flip Empty
03-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I was annoyed when JPP was drafted. Well.. more annoyed at Oakland for seemingly stealing Rolando.
It's great that it's worked out the way it has.

JJC7301
03-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Reese was very high on Spiller in 2010 and he would have been Reese's first choice...then McClain, then JPP.

I admit I didn't want JPP and I was literally praying the Giants wouldn't take him but...I'm happy I was wrong about him. He's been phenomenal.
+1. I wanted McClain, but I wasn't trading up for him. I wanted Weatherspoon as well, but I knew that he was a reach at that spot so I was okay with JPP. I was sick about not getting a top LB, but I have liked our "never enough DE's" philosophy.

jhamburg
03-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Remember when some Giants Fans wanted Rolando McClain #15?

Also some Giants Fans wanted the Giants to trade up. I will say this im not going to lie I wanted a MLB at the time because Pierce was cut and I was hoping the Giants could find a guy that could fill the void but I was also quite happy with JPP #15 because I was willing to give him a chance and sure enough JPP has become a stud/pro-bowl DE in his 2nd second season. I give a lot of credit to Jerry Resse he is the man, we are fortunate to have a great GM like him. I trust Jerry Resse.

This football outsiders article is good for a laugh in retrospect:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer

slipknottin
03-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Reese was very high on Spiller in 2010 and he would have been Reese's first choice...then McClain, then JPP..

We dont know this at all. Its purely speculation.

Just like supposedly the giants thought heyward-bey was the best WR in the Nicks draft.

Spizi
03-25-2012, 02:57 AM
In back-to-back years Jerry Reese has drafted 2 players that are top 10 in the NFL at their position. Best GM in football period.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-25-2012, 03:01 AM
I would go as far and say Nicks and JPP are top 5 and JPP may even be the best in the league at his position.

Spizi
03-25-2012, 03:05 AM
I would go as far and say Nicks and JPP are top 5 and JPP may even be the best in the league at his position.

so they are both top 10 right? :P

JPP is clearly top 3 and Nicks I would say is top 8

BlueSanta
03-25-2012, 03:22 AM
Reese was very high on Spiller in 2010 and he would have been Reese's first choice...then McClain, then JPP..

Just like supposedly the giants thought heyward-bey was the best WR in the Nicks draft.

I definitely do not buy the DHB rumor for 1 reason: The giants do tend to interview the heck out of guys they like. They interviewed and reinterviewed Nicks. It was said on draft day the Giants spent a lot of time with Nicks. The Giants made no attempt to hide who they liked.

The rumor that the Giants liked Spiller is also based on the fact that they spent a lot of time with him.

I never once saw any reports of us repeatedly interviewing DHB. Maybe I just missed em, but I cant find em now either.

I recall even Mayock noting how much time the Giants spent with Nicks prior to the draft.

Lastly, I would add that because a guy hasnt done as well with another team doesnt mean he wouldnt have done well with us. Especially when your talking aboutthe Raiders who have been an organizational mess and the worst team in the NFL at developing talent, mostly because of the numberous coaching changes and scheme changes in recent years.

Flip Empty
03-25-2012, 03:35 AM

I definitely do not buy the DHB rumor for 1 reason: The giants do tend to interview the heck out of guys they like. They interviewed and reinterviewed Nicks. It was said on draft day the Giants spent a lot of time with Nicks. The Giants made no attempt to hide who they liked.

The rumor that the Giants liked Spiller is also based on the fact that they spent a lot of time with him.

I never once saw any reports of us repeatedly interviewing DHB. Maybe I just missed em, but I cant find em now either.*

I recall even Mayock noting how much time the Giants spent with Nicks prior to the draft.

Lastly, I would add that because a guy hasnt done as well with another team doesnt mean he wouldnt have done well with us. Especially when your talking aboutthe Raiders who have been an organizational mess and the worst team in the NFL at developing talent, mostly because of the numberous coaching changes and scheme changes in recent years.

DHB has had to contend with Jamarcus Russell, Charlie Frye, Bruce Gradkowski and Jason Campbell - no wonder he was invisible.
Notice how he finally started putting up good numbers once Carson Palmer came to town.

Martyr
03-25-2012, 03:44 AM
Let's hope the trend continues

Shockeyitus
03-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Definitely credit Reese for having a great eye for talent. More importantly, credit this coaching staff and locker room for JPP's development. If this kid is playing in Seattle, Tennessee or Buffalo, then he isn't the dominant force he has become.

There are a lot of "poor" coaches in the NFL and the Giants are one of the few teams blessed with a quality, HOF caliber chief.

GMENAGAIN
03-25-2012, 08:04 AM

You have no idea whether that is true or not.

Redeyejedi
03-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Just like supposedly the giants thought heyward-bey was the best WR in the Nicks draft.The other rumor was JPP was there 6th best player on the overall board.Something tells me Mcclain was lower then that and the Giants were happy when Mcclain got picked so they could take a DE without fan complaining

titwio
03-25-2012, 09:47 AM
You have no idea whether that is true or not.

Oh I definitely had an idea.

Ralph Vachianno

The Giants are enchanted with the Clemson running back whom many scouts believe is the most dynamic offensive player in this year's draft. He likely won't be there when the Giants make the 15th pick of the first round. But those sources said the Giants could consider trading up to get him if he escapes the Top 10 and if the price is right.
And there were a lot of other reports at the time also.

Of course no one knows "for sure" come draft time but it wasn't a surprise to anyone at the time that the Giants were targeting Spiller. And if he was available at 15 I could very well guarantee he would have been a Giant.

Also the fact that the Giants were looking for LB to replace Pierce that year and made no bones about liking Rolando logically tells me that they would have taken McClain over JPP who was selected as the BPA.

bLuereverie
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Weren't there reports of the Giants liking Brandon Graham as well?

Neverend
03-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Not really. Just speculated that philly traded up to get graham because they strongly believed the giants were going to take him. But the giants didnt show much predraft interest in him

Toadofsteel
03-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Definitely credit Reese for having a great eye for talent. More importantly, credit this coaching staff and locker room for JPP's development. If this kid is playing in Seattle, Tennessee or Buffalo, then he isn't the dominant force he has become.

There are a lot of "poor" coaches in the NFL and the Giants are one of the few teams blessed with a quality, HOF caliber chief.

Reese took over in 2007. Our first round picks since then:
2007: Ross
2008: Phillips
2009: Nicks
2010: JPP
2011: Prince

With the possible exception of Prince (too early to tell how he will pan out), we have not had a first-round bust with JR.

Here's a list of notable draft picks that have contributed to some extent with the team since 2007:

2007:
RD1-#20: Ross
RD2-#51: SS12
RD3-#81: Jay Alford
RD4-#116: DeOssie
RD5-#153: Boss
RD7-#250: Bradshaw (I completely forgot this beast... thank you Shockeyitus for reminding me)

2008:
RD1-#31: Phillips
RD2-#63: T2
RD3-#95: Manningham
RD5-#165: Goff

2009:
RD1-#29: Hakeem
RD2-#60: Beatty
RD3-#85: Barden (okay this one is questionable, though i'm not counting him out yet)
RD3-#100: Beckum

2010:
RD1-#15: JPP
RD2-#46: Linval Joseph

2011:
RD1-#19: Prince
RD3-#83: Jernigan
RD4-#117: Brewer
RD6-#202: Jacquian

Other than 2010 (which also happens to be the year Matt Dodge was drafted in round 7 lol), the Giants have had good success via the draft). JR works by getting a good amount of talent through the draft which can make the team and contribute, which is why we don't make the FA splashes some other teams do. It's also why we seem to hemorrhage FA's each season, as our draft talent gets developed enough that players make a name for themselves and we can no longer afford them. I'm all for it though, as it keeps us younger than we'd otherwise be.

Danny1024
03-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Reese has been very good in every single draft under his tenure as general manager. He is easily one of the top gm's/scouts in the NFL.

jhamburg
03-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Other than 2010 (which also happens to be the year Matt Dodge was drafted in round 7 lol), the Giants have had good success via the draft).

Why not 2010? We arguably got the best player in the entire draft!

Also Petrus looks promising and Joseph could easily be a future pro bowler.

Toadofsteel
03-25-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm talking about with 4 or more quality players... that's a 50% or greater (exactly 50% if we ended up with an extra pick) of players that turned out to be great for us. Every year. And yeah, JPP kinda makes up for the lack of other 2010 picks...

Shockeyitus
03-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Other than 2010 (which also happens to be the year Matt Dodge was drafted in round 7 lol), the Giants have had good success via the draft).

Why not 2010? We arguably got the best player in the entire draft!

Also Petrus looks promising and Joseph could easily be a future pro bowler.

Joseph is budding super-star. He will definitely be making a trip or two to Hawaii within his career. His development has been amazing, which is why I credit the coaching staff more than Reese.

Shockeyitus
03-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Reese took over in 2007. Our first round picks since then:
2007: Ross
2008: Phillips
2009: Nicks
2010: JPP
2011: Prince

With the possible exception of Prince (too early to tell how he will pan out), we have not had a first-round bust with JR.

Here's a list of notable draft picks that have contributed to some extent with the team since 2007:

2007:
RD1-#20: Ross
RD2-#51: SS12
RD3-#81: Jay Alford
RD4-#116: DeOssie
RD5-#153: Boss

2008:
RD1-#31: Phillips
RD2-#63: T2
RD3-#95: Manningham
RD5-#165: Goff

2009:
RD1-#29: Hakeem
RD2-#60: Beatty
RD3-#85: Barden (okay this one is questionable, though i'm not counting him out yet)
RD3-#100: Beckum

2010:
RD1-#15: JPP
RD2-#46: Linval Joseph

2011:
RD1-#19: Prince
RD3-#83: Jernigan
RD4-#117: Brewer
RD6-#202: Jacquian

Other than 2010 (which also happens to be the year Matt Dodge was drafted in round 7 lol), the Giants have had good success via the draft). JR works by getting a good amount of talent through the draft which can make the team and contribute, which is why we don't make the FA splashes some other teams do. It's also why we seem to hemorrhage FA's each season, as our draft talent gets developed enough that players make a name for themselves and we can no longer afford them. I'm all for it though, as it keeps us younger than we'd otherwise be.

2007 - Michael was a serviceable Safety for being a 7th round pick. He made a few really nice plays, but then would seem to be lost. I didn't hate him.....

Also, speaking of 7th rounders in the 2007 draft... Is there a reason Bradshaw isn't on your list?

Zoboomafoo
03-26-2012, 12:25 AM
This football outsiders article is good for a laugh in retrospect:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2010/introducing-sackseer

"The ability of Pierre-Paul to translate his particular brand of athleticism to pass rushing success is speculative at best. Overall, the general manager who pulls the trigger on Pierre-Paul better be very confident that he has something special -- so special that it will completely buck the historical trends."

Seems every Football Outsiders article about the Giants contains that phrase.

RagTime Blue
03-26-2012, 02:07 AM
I recall a day or two before the draft a thread was out asking "Who do you NOT want the Giants to pick?"

Lots of players got votes, but JPP got the most. Most cited the whole "we're built to win now, and he's a project", or "we already have enough DE's".

I wanted either Spiller or Earl Thomas (realistically speaking).

jhamburg
03-26-2012, 02:19 AM
I recall a day or two before the draft a thread was out asking "Who do you NOT want the Giants to pick?"

Lots of players got votes, but JPP got the most.* Most cited the whole "we're built to win now, and he's a project", or "we already have enough DE's".

I wanted either Spiller or Earl Thomas (realistically speaking).*

I remember some people were kinda meh with JPP and some people really hated the pick, but I don't recall a single person here who actually hoped we would get him.

Aaaand that's why we don't make the decisions.

Actually though I remember when I saw McClain, Spiller, and Thomas were all gone by the time we were on the clock I was pulling hard for Bulaga, which actually would have worked out really well for us as far as needs go, although not as good as JPP.

Toadofsteel
03-26-2012, 03:30 AM
2007 - Michael was a serviceable Safety for being a 7th round pick. He made a few really nice plays, but then would seem to be lost. I didn't hate him..... I don't really remember him the way I remember other DB's like Ross, C-Web, or T2.

Also, speaking of 7th rounders in the 2007 draft... Is there a reason Bradshaw isn't on your list?

****... I completely fubared on that one. Imma go pop him back in. Still helps prove my point though: JR and his staff know how to pick 'em, and TC and his staff know how to make 'em...

Kruunch
03-26-2012, 11:12 AM

Not really. Just speculated that philly traded up to get graham because they strongly believed the giants were going to take him. But the giants didnt show much predraft interest in him

Revisionist history: http://igglesnest.com/2012/defense-of-brandon-graham/

The only real knock on Graham was his height (6'1"). High motor guy who out performed JPP in virtually all of the measurables at the Combine, could translate back and forth between LB and DE (which the Giants were obviously into, ala Kiwi) and was graded as the best DE in that draft by A LOT of people.

Brandham Graham was most likely going to be the Giants' pick if he were still on the boards at 15.

Obviously the Eagles thought so.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I will eat two bowls of crow on the JPP pick. I wasn't crazy about it b/c I looked at the history of DEs' taken in the middle of the 1st round and the success rate at the position at that point in the draft was not good at all. Lots of busts in there. </P>

But JR once again knew what he was doign and showed us all that that's why he gets paid to do this and we all just post on a message board. </P>

JPP
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Hate to rub it in guys but I knew he was gonna be good...note the user name. lol