PDA

View Full Version : Rate class of 09 draft

Gmenfan87
03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
They say you have to wait about 3 years to see if a draft was a success or not. So lets revisit the 09 draft.

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
Rd. 2 William Beatty
Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
Rd. 4 Andre Brown
Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

Looking back I don't think it was a success because we had 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders and we missed 3 out of 4. Beaty is a starter but not a world beater by any stretch. Other than Hakeem we didn't even get any value or ST play out of the rest.

To put it in perspective the Texans drafted Connor Barwin with the very next pick after Sintim.

logan9839
03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Agreed, I am a major JR fan, but it is hard to say we are getting the most out of that draft. That said. Nicks!!!

Itlan
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
This is a tough draft to stomach, but I understand it in hindsight: We had just gone 12-4 and had a pretty dominant season until Plax fell. We didn't have major holes, aside from WR, and that was addressed in the first round.

After that, we took a lot of project players: Sintim, Beatty, Barden, Beckum. Only Beatty has panned out so far, with the other three being extremely injury prone it seems.

Andre Brown seemed like a steal at a time, and he's another one who was hampered by injury.

The bottom 3 were Reese gambling, and he was wrong. Not Reese's best draft by any stretch, but Nicks has produced more than I think anyone ever expected from the kid.

It's probably a C at best, but Nicks alone makes it worthwhile.

Redeyejedi
03-25-2012, 08:25 PM
So many injuries from this class

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
03-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Eh. I'm still not ready to write off Barden or Beckum as busts.

GMENAGAIN
03-25-2012, 08:36 PM
If Beatty turns out to be our starting LT for multiple years . . . it would be hard to say that this was a "bad" draft (Pro Bowl WR and a starting LT). </P>

We had 5 picks in the top 100 that year . . . . would have liked tosee us go 3 for 5 or even 4 for 5 on those picks though . . . . . </P>

bleedblue78
03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Imagine if nicks was gone! Only maclin or Harvin would of sufficed to salvage what otherwise is a horrible draft class

dave56dj
03-25-2012, 08:41 PM
Hakeem - Could not have lived up to the expectations of a first round pick more. Been an absolute beast and a true number one.

Clint Sintim - Before injury derailed him last year he looked out of place in a 4-3 scheme. Some say he was coming on in pre-season but its hard to tell - so far he has not contributed and this may be his last chance to show something.

Will Beatty - Well he started as our left tackle last year and played nicely in his first year as a starter - should recover from retina injury and start again at tackler - guy was a project athlete and it seems like he wil pay off.

Barden - Cannot stay healthy. Another project with tantalizing size. May get a good crack at the 3 spot this year - but hasnt contributed much yet.

Travis Beckum - This was supposed to be our version of jimmy graham or A hernandez - but he just hasnt panned out. I find it interesting that the giants had this idea (not totally new at all - remember pierece) of the tight end - h back who can be a huge mismatch and this trend has taken over the nfl - not that the giants did it - but they did like the idea - beckum just hasnt been the guy and may not get a chance next year - had some flashes this year but not much.

Andre Brown - Promising player - injuries hurt - has come back to the team after stops elsewhere and may crack the lineup this year if he outplays ware or scott - has contributed very little so far.

Bomar - eh hoped he may be a backup - just a flyer - didnt work.

Wright - No contribution.

Woodson - No Contribution.

Overall a potential starter at left tackle for a while and a number one wideout - so its tough to say it was all bad. Still hold out for Barden.

Bohemian
03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
They say you have to wait about 3 years to see if a draft was a success or not. So lets revisit the 09 draft.

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
Rd. 2 William Beatty
Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
Rd. 4 Andre Brown
Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

Looking back I don't think it was a success because we had 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders and we missed 3 out of 4. Beaty is a starter but not a world beater by any stretch. Other than Hakeem we didn't even get any value or ST play out of the rest.

To put it in perspective the Texans drafted Connor Barwin with the very next pick after Sintim.

I'll take Nicks and Beatty... and I'll even reluctantly take Beckum... the rest can go... Sintim would be on-call, just in case.

Neverend
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
I remember a lot of people loved the draft, and for some reason I still don't get today, some thought wright and woodson were going to be steals (As marc ross admitted they were drafted purely on measurables, simply flyers)

Anyway i was hoping and praying the giants would draft nicks and not britt/dhb. Was thrilled about that. Didn't like the rest of the draft except the andre brown pick at the time

Hated beatty as a prospect. Lots of mocks had him going in the 20s of the first round so lots of people loved the pick and thought he was tremendous value. I thought he was so fineese and extremely underdeveloped (he barely looked like a slightly oversized TE) and small. Thought the value of the pick was overrated and thought he just was bad on film. I just didn't like the idea of drafting a prospect that was old and raw. Like always, things turn out well for the giants. Beatty is still fineese, lacks a mean streak, and doesnt finish blocks but is an adequate LT

Beckum, injured senior year. Was supposed to be a steal at 3rd round with "Great value" who could've gone higher if healthy

Some people loved the barden pick because of the "value" as well. he was mocked into late 1st/2nd round on many boards and obviously was popular. i liked the barden pick at the time but it looks like his knock coming into the league has come into fruition: he bullied divison II defensive backs that couldnt locate/play the ball in the air but wont translate with much success in the NFL because he doesnt get great separation

Anyway, most of this draft was overhyped. It looked completely amazing at the time because it was hyped with "value". Reese says the giants had a first round grade on sintim, so there was "great value". Beatty was routinely mocked as a first round pick, as high as 20, so it was "tremendous value". Barden was an underrated steal who could have gone as high as late 1st, so it was "great value". Andre Brown struggled with injuries but was a great playmaker at NC state and could be a steal so the pick had "great value". Bomar had character concerns and couldve been highly drafted qb because of it so thus it was a great pick for 5th round and "great value". Beckum was 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round because of senior year injury, so it was "amazing value"

Thing is, the supposed "value" of this draft class was overrated. Most of these prospects fell because they were overrated, not just because teams were stupid enough to pass on them. Hindsight is hindsight, but not one of the franchises stronger drafts overall

Redeyejedi
03-26-2012, 01:49 AM
This draft is different then all the 1's under Reese. It was a weak defensive draft and the Giants were transitioning on offense. Think they may of panicked a little. This draft was marred by injuries .who knows what would of happened if they stayed healthy

GMENAGAIN
03-26-2012, 06:33 AM
I remember a lot of people loved the draft, and for some reason I still don't get today, some thought wright and woodson were going to be steals (As marc ross admitted they were drafted purely on measurables, simply flyers) Anyway i was hoping and praying the giants would draft nicks and not britt/dhb. Was thrilled about that. Didn't like the rest of the draft except the andre brown pick at the time Hated beatty as a prospect. Lots of mocks had him going in the 20s of the first round so lots of people loved the pick and thought he was tremendous value. I thought he was so fineese and extremely underdeveloped (he barely looked like a slightly oversized TE) and small. Thought the value of the pick was overrated and thought he just was bad on film. I just didn't like the idea of drafting a prospect that was old and raw. Like always, things turn out well for the giants. Beatty is still fineese, lacks a mean streak, and doesnt finish blocks but is an adequate LT Beckum, injured senior year. Was supposed to be a steal at 3rd round with "Great value" who could've gone higher if healthy Some people loved the barden pick because of the "value" as well. he was mocked into late 1st/2nd round on many boards and obviously was popular. i liked the barden pick at the time but it looks like his knock coming into the league has come into fruition: he bullied divison II defensive backs that couldnt locate/play the ball in the air but wont translate with much success in the NFL because he doesnt get great separation Anyway, most of this draft was overhyped. It looked completely amazing at the time because it was hyped with "value". Reese says the giants had a first round grade on sintim, so there was "great value". Beatty was routinely mocked as a first round pick, as high as 20, so it was "tremendous value". Barden was an underrated steal who could have gone as high as late 1st, so it was "great value". Andre Brown struggled with injuries but was a great playmaker at NC state and could be a steal so the pick had "great value". Bomar had character concerns and couldve been highly drafted qb because of it so thus it was a great pick for 5th round and "great value". Beckum was 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round because of senior year injury, so it was "amazing value" Thing is, the supposed "value" of this draft class was overrated. Most of these prospects fell because they were overrated, not just because teams were stupid enough to pass on them. Hindsight is hindsight, but not one of the franchises stronger drafts overall</P>

Great post.</P>

buddy33
03-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Agree about the injuries.

I know people don't like him but before he was injured again this year Carl Banks was saying that Sintim was looking great last pre season.

I think Beatty is a fine player if he could just stay healthy.

Beckum was showing some flashes last year.

Brown is on the team again and he looked like a very nice pick before he had his injury.

I was always supporting Barden but I'm starting to think this is it. If he doesn't show something in pre season I'd say he's on the hot seat.

Lots of late round picks get cut. Reese has also drafted some studs late in the draft.

I could be wrong but I thought the Texans picked right before the Giants.

nygsb42champs
03-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Certainly not the best draft for sure. Thanks goodness we got Nicks in that draft.

Kruunch
03-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
Rd. 2 William Beatty
Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
Rd. 4 Andre Brown
Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

Or another way of looking at it is out of 9 draft picks, 6 are still on the team (which is a good measure), 2 are starters (Beatty, Nicks) and one is a legit star (Nicks).

Sintim, Barden and Beckum have been disappointments.

Andre Brown is coming back from an injury that normally ends careers (ruptured Achilles).

I'd say betting a star and a starting LT out of a draft class makes it a good draft by itself but I can understand being underwhelmed by the majority of it.

MattMeyerBud
03-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I remember a lot of people loved the draft, and for some reason I still don't get today, some thought wright and woodson were going to be steals (As marc ross admitted they were drafted purely on measurables, simply flyers)

Anyway i was hoping and praying the giants would draft nicks and not britt/dhb. Was thrilled about that. Didn't like the rest of the draft except the andre brown pick at the time

Hated beatty as a prospect. Lots of mocks had him going in the 20s of the first round so lots of people loved the pick and thought he was tremendous value. I thought he was so fineese and extremely underdeveloped (he barely looked like a slightly oversized TE) and small. Thought the value of the pick was overrated and thought he just was bad on film. I just didn't like the idea of drafting a prospect that was old and raw. Like always, things turn out well for the giants. Beatty is still fineese, lacks a mean streak, and doesnt finish blocks but is an adequate LT

Beckum, injured senior year. Was supposed to be a steal at 3rd round with "Great value" who could've gone higher if healthy

Some people loved the barden pick because of the "value" as well. he was mocked into late 1st/2nd round on many boards and obviously was popular. i liked the barden pick at the time but it looks like his knock coming into the league has come into fruition: he bullied divison II defensive backs that couldnt locate/play the ball in the air but wont translate with much success in the NFL because he doesnt get great separation

Anyway, most of this draft was overhyped. It looked completely amazing at the time because it was hyped with "value". Reese says the giants had a first round grade on sintim, so there was "great value". Beatty was routinely mocked as a first round pick, as high as 20, so it was "tremendous value". Barden was an underrated steal who could have gone as high as late 1st, so it was "great value". Andre Brown struggled with injuries but was a great playmaker at NC state and could be a steal so the pick had "great value". Bomar had character concerns and couldve been highly drafted qb because of it so thus it was a great pick for 5th round and "great value". Beckum was 1st round talent who fell to the 3rd round because of senior year injury, so it was "amazing value"

Thing is, the supposed "value" of this draft class was overrated. Most of these prospects fell because they were overrated, not just because teams were stupid enough to pass on them. Hindsight is hindsight, but not one of the franchises stronger drafts overall

because we got a starting left tackle and a receiver who had a start to his career that was only topped by Randy Moss

RagTime Blue
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
I think this draft was really a turning point for JR.

He learned not to draft guys on physical stats (rounds 6 &amp; 7), and to be wary of small schools (Bomar, Barden). Also, he learned if you're going to take a guy, make sure he's done what you're going to need him to do. . .not just because he does other things well (Sintim, Beckum).

I don't know how many of you remember, but back when that draft was going on, many people thought Eli needed a tall receiver in order to handle his high throws. That explains Beckum and Barden.

MattMeyerBud
03-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I think this draft was really a turning point for JR.

He learned not to draft guys on physical stats (rounds 6 &amp; 7), and to be wary of small schools (Bomar, Barden). Also, he learned if you're going to take a guy, make sure he's done what you're going to need him to do. . .not just because he does other things well (Sintim, Beckum).

I don't know how many of you remember, but back when that draft was going on, many people thought Eli needed a tall receiver in order to handle his high throws. That explains Beckum and Barden.

i think he draft beckum becuase of his size period, had nothing to do with Eli other then another target for him and we had just lost plax

Kruunch
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM
I think this draft was really a turning point for JR.*

He learned not to draft guys on physical stats (rounds 6 & 7), and to be wary of small schools (Bomar, Barden).* Also, he learned if you're going to take a guy, make sure he's done what you're going to need him to do. . .not just because he does other things well (Sintim, Beckum).

I don't know how many of you remember, but back when that draft was going on, many people thought Eli needed a tall receiver in order to handle his high throws.* That explains Beckum and Barden.

Barden was our Plax project. We took Nicks because he was the most "NFL ready" receiver in the draft and we took Barden because he was one of the tallest receivers in the draft.

Beckum was an attempt to get a play making TE after going the ghetto route with Boss the past year.

Barden was a pure project ... so its not really a surprise he busted. However Beckum was a surprise since he had a really high grade at the time.

Sintim was the best athelete among available LBers .... and apparently they thought they could translate a 3-4 pass rusher into a SAM.or MLB. Hopefully they learned their lesson there (at least they've tried to move Adren Tracey to DE).

Under JR, our first two picks have been golden. It's at the 3rd and beyond where our drafting gets really iffy (but you can say that for every draft really).

TuckYou
03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
</P>

Beckum may never play for us again. He was a bust. Barden Id give another shot. I thought he was coming around before he got benched because of his lack of ST play. I still think he has a good shot to make it as a WR. </P>

Coach Carter
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
Rd. 2 William Beatty
Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
Rd. 4 Andre Brown
Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

Folks, not EVERY draft is going to be perfect. Reese has done well in other drafts. Also, there were a couple of receivers taken ahead of Nicks and he as outperformed them.

Look at the Eagles, they drafted Maclin and he is a wuss and (in another draft) they drafted Graham and we took JPP.

Sintim is out of position in our defense, Barden is RAW, Beckum is... and the two corners were beaten out by the undrafted free agent Bruce Johnson.

Captain Chaos
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Hakeem - Could not have lived up to the expectations of a first round pick more. Been an absolute beast and a true number one.

Clint Sintim - Before injury derailed him last year he looked out of place in a 4-3 scheme. Some say he was coming on in pre-season but its hard to tell - so far he has not contributed and this may be his last chance to show something.

Will Beatty - Well he started as our left tackle last year and played nicely in his first year as a starter - should recover from retina injury and start again at tackler - guy was a project athlete and it seems like he wil pay off.

Barden - Cannot stay healthy. Another project with tantalizing size. May get a good crack at the 3 spot this year - but hasnt contributed much yet.

Travis Beckum - This was supposed to be our version of jimmy graham or A hernandez - but he just hasnt panned out. I find it interesting that the giants had this idea (not totally new at all - remember pierece) of the tight end - h back who can be a huge mismatch and this trend has taken over the nfl - not that the giants did it - but they did like the idea - beckum just hasnt been the guy and may not get a chance next year - had some flashes this year but not much.

Andre Brown - Promising player - injuries hurt - has come back to the team after stops elsewhere and may crack the lineup this year if he outplays ware or scott - has contributed very little so far.

Bomar - eh hoped he may be a backup - just a flyer - didnt work.

Wright - No contribution.

Woodson - No Contribution.

Overall a potential starter at left tackle for a while and a number one wideout - so its tough to say it was all bad. Still hold out for Barden.
</P>

</P>

Dave, think this is a very good estimation. I agree with your assessment of Barden, not sure his ankle was a full up round last year. Give him the summer to work and we might have something here.</P>

hadenough
03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
Rd. 2 William Beatty
Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
Rd. 4 Andre Brown
Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

He blew that draft. I'm sure he wishes he had that one back.

He took too many chances in the 2nd and 3rd. It's fine to try and reach with 1 of the 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd. But he did it with all 4.

Sintim played in a 3-4....Beatty was raw...Barden was raw....and Gilbride never found a way to use an H back.

Bad draft....cant' say that for all of his drafts.

simms56
03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Lets be honest, this class yielded a stud wideout and nothing else. Beatty hasn't impressed me (and I am a UConn fan) and no one else from that class has done anything. I personally hope Sintim is done in a Giants uniform. They must have never watched that kid play because even if he was perfectly healthy he doesn't fit....even remotely.

pino
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Well you can't hit a home run every time, but I still think it's too early to write some of these guys off as a "miss". Sintim seems to be the miss so far, but Beatty, Beckum, and Barden seem to be improving, although slowly, year by year.

We drafted so many names that start with "B" that year. What's up with that?

MattMeyerBud
03-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Lets be honest, this class yielded a stud wideout and nothing else. Beatty hasn't impressed me (and I am a UConn fan) and no one else from that class has done anything. I personally hope Sintim is done in a Giants uniform. They must have never watched that kid play because even if he was perfectly healthy he doesn't fit....even remotely.

we have one LBer spot up for debate imo

its going to come down to Sintim - Paysinger - or if we get anybody else...

Neverend
03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
because we got a starting left tackle and a receiver who had a start to his career that was only topped by Randy Moss

Also a left tackle thats still fineese, soft, needs to work on his run blocking, gets dominated by power/savvy pass rushers, and is already 27 years old entering the final year of his deal. Slam dunk pick eh

One great pick (nicks) doesn't not make the 2009 nfl draft one of the franchises stronger drafts overall (which was my main point)

MattMeyerBud
03-26-2012, 02:47 PM

Also a left tackle thats still fineese, soft, needs to work on his run blocking, gets dominated by power/savvy pass rushers, and is already 27 years old entering the final year of his deal. Slam dunk pick eh

One great pick (nicks) doesn't not make the 2009 nfl draft one of the franchises stronger drafts overall (which was my main point)

was he not a starting Left Tackle?

Freak injury last year that kept him out...

You found a guy that can protect your QBs blindside and when u get a player of the caliber that Nicks is, it actually does make your draft.

Its definitly been the injury draft though... not alot of healthy guys coming out of it.

G-Man67
03-26-2012, 03:02 PM
but Nicks is great ... he carries that draft and Beatty can still be a good player at a very important position</P>

realistically, you either want a draft where you get a great player or a draft where you get 4 or 5 starters out of it ... the '09 draft might just be the Nicks draft and that is OK</P>

Kruunch
03-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Lets be honest, this class yielded a stud wideout and nothing else.* Beatty hasn't impressed me (and I am a UConn fan) and no one else from that class has done anything.* I personally hope Sintim is done in a Giants uniform.* They must have never watched that kid play because even if he was perfectly healthy he doesn't fit....even remotely.

He might not have impressed YOU but he is our starting LT.

Just between him and Nicks, I'd say the '09 draft was a complete success.

JJC7301
03-26-2012, 11:42 PM

Rd. 1 Hakeem Nicks
Rd. 2 Clint Sintim
Rd. 2 William Beatty
Rd. 3 Ramses Barden
Rd. 3 Travis Beckum
Rd. 4 Andre Brown
Rd. 5 Rhett Bomar
Rd. 6 DeAndre Wright
Rd. 7 Stoney Woodson

It's horrible except for Nicks, but Barden will get one last chance this year and I haven't totally given up on him just yet. I don't have much faith in Beatty.

Yep, that draft is looking ugly.

myles2424
03-27-2012, 12:46 PM
This seems to be a sensitive subject, but let's be honest 2009 was a disgusting draft....the fact that we had all those extra picks makes it worse......thank god for nicks though

JMFP2
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Stoney Woodson???......I think he's playing for Bedrock's team now.

SackingMyths
03-28-2012, 12:40 AM
That class certainly doesn't look like our best, as of now.

But Nicks almost single-handedly makes up for the projects, duds et al. Especially when you consider how much higher Crabtree and DHB were taken, and how pathetically little they've produced.

We couldn't even really afford for anyone else to be a superstar, with our current/future cap situation w/ Nicks, JPP and Cruz's mega paydays on the horizon.

However, we did just bag ring #4 and when that happens, you don't need to dissect anything.

In a semi-perfect-Blue-world, Beatty grows a pair, Barden seizes his opportunity and Beckum heals fast (and also grows a pair).

As for the rest...meh

joeybagadonutz23
03-28-2012, 12:50 AM

I'm in that boat as well. I'd love to see Barden step up this year. Someone needs to step up with MM gone to SF. Nicks and Barden on the outside with Cruz is the slot seems like a reasonable starting point for our 3rd receiver this season if they don't pick someone else up.