PDA

View Full Version : 4th round picks haven't been too kind to us under Reese

NYG4lifeNYK
03-26-2012, 05:25 PM
2007 - Zak DeOssie - Very good pick as he turned out to be a ST ace and pro bowl snapper, just not a

2008 - Brian Kehl - bust, awful player lol, terrible pick

2009 - Andre Brown - still pending, not a great pick though

2010 - Phillip Dillard - bust... terrible in every sense lol

2011 - James Brewer - still pending, coaching staff is high on him

Let's hope Reese can turn our this years 4th round compensatory pick into gold.

TuckYou
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
To me, it seems like Reese just cant draft LBs, period. In any round. Maybe Jaquan Williams bucked the trend though. DeOssie is one of the best long snappers in the game, and to get the recognition without it being negative is very tough. Brewer, well they like what they see in him. He could be our RT this season. Brown could of been something special if he didnt get injured. Hopefully he fills in for Jacobs next season.

Neverend
03-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Haven't really read anything about the staff being on high on Brewer. Seems more like reese and the front office (the same way they're high on barden but the coaching staff seemingly isnt)

myles2424
03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Trade away original 4th & maybe another, be agressive & let's move up in the 2nd or 3rd

Juanito
03-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Its the forth round, not hugely surprising or important if you don't hit then, and also we always pick near the end of it.

Neverend
03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Bryan I thought had some potential. His fineese, soft, goes around blocks. But he flashes nice instincts and range/speed. Worth a backup spot as a special teams player but too many bodies

Kruunch
03-26-2012, 07:54 PM
2007 - Zak DeOssie - Very good pick as he turned out to be a ST ace and pro bowl snapper, just not a

2008 - Brian Keuhl - bust, awful player lol, terrible pick

If you go past the first two rounds, the draft under Reese has been very hit or miss, but that tends to be the theme across the NFL. It's the fact that he nails the first two picks that's really made his drafts.

Having said that, there is a lot of value (seemingly) in the 4th round for us:

Marvin McNutt (WR)
Robert Turbin (RB)
Coryell Judie (CB)
Nate Potter (OT)
Keenan Robinson (OLB)
Juron Criner (WR)
Derek Wolfe (DT)

GameTime
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM

</P>

there is a big difference in "terrible picks" and "good picks" that just dont pan out. Reese or any other GM doesn have the convenience of hindsight to gage their choices in the draft. They choose whom they feel will work on this team. Better a 4th rounder going sour then a 1st or 2nd....</P>

GameTime
03-26-2012, 08:23 PM

</P>

dp....oops</P>

NYG4lifeNYK
03-26-2012, 08:28 PM

</p>

there is a big difference in "terrible picks" and "good picks" that just dont pan out. Reese or any other GM doesn have the convenience of hindsight to gage their choices in the draft. They choose whom they feel will work on this team. Better a 4th rounder going sour then a 1st or 2nd....</p>

Why are you stating the obvious?

Are you trying to say Dillard &amp; Kehl weren't terrible picks?

GameTime
03-26-2012, 11:14 PM

</P>

there is a big difference in "terrible picks" and "good picks" that just dont pan out. Reese or any other GM doesn have the convenience of hindsight to gage their choices in the draft. They choose whom they feel will work on this team. Better a 4th rounder going sour then a 1st or 2nd....</P>

Why are you stating the obvious?

Are you trying to say Dillard &amp; Kehl weren't terrible picks?
</P>

The point is they weren't terrible picks to begin with. The are players who were chosen that didnt pan out. You make is sound like the picks stunk from the getgo and Reese chose poorly right from the start. </P>

slipknottin
03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Eh, thats probably about average through the league.

I think the league only gets on average 2 starting quality players from the 4th round each year.

JJC7301
03-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Well, we can't win them all. Our 1st and 2nds tend to be excellent, and we tend to hit on our later round picks a decent amount as well.

But yeah, 4th round tends to be a stinker. Unfortunately, our compensatory pick this year is a 4th rounder. Ugh.

BlueSanta
03-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Kinda nitpicking arent you?

Just saying, its like complaining about the mudflaps on your Porche.

barran21
03-27-2012, 01:03 AM
It's called the 4th round for a reason, plus the draft is a gamble anyways, even your first rounder can be a bust, while your 7th might turn into a superstar, a perfect example of this is Saints draft in 2006, Reggie Bush drafted number 2 overall, Marques Colston drafted in the 7th round(252) 3 picks away from being Mr Irrelevant, Colston is the better player while Bush isn't even on the team....

gmen0820
03-27-2012, 01:10 AM
Andre Brown is a sleeper. He looked 100% last year and fell victim to the numbers game, this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he's splitting carries with Bradshaw and ends up with 500+ yards.

nygsb42champs
03-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Lets face it from the 4th round on down it is just a big gamble no matter who you pick.

nycsportzfan
03-27-2012, 08:12 AM

its just the way the cookie crumbles.. u can't draft a bradshaw, jpp, nicks, l.joseph, tt, ross, beatty, stev smith, jaquain williams, goff, KP, with every pick, ya know?

LT_was_good
03-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Good thing he's been awesome in the 1st round.

MattMeyerBud
03-27-2012, 09:02 AM

first off, theres no busts in the 4th round - thats why they are 4th round picks

So pretty much we had 2 players be "busts", the jury is out on 2 more, and one is a probowler

not really as bad as your making it seems.

and if u want to down play the quality of having a guy like DeOssie, may I remind you of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrhRZ0EcpRs

MattMeyerBud
03-27-2012, 09:02 AM
Andre Brown is a sleeper. He looked 100% last year and fell victim to the numbers game, this year, I wouldn't be surprised if he's splitting carries with Bradshaw and ends up with 500+ yards.

i agree - i think hes goin g t oget his shot

i think he and SCott are the reasons we aren't getting a back this offseason..

we MAY resign Jacobs but thats all I see

Diamondring
03-27-2012, 09:16 AM

So you made this topic because Reese did good to ok in the other rounds? If that is the case, then Reese is really one good GM to fail in just one round out of seven.

GMENAGAIN
03-27-2012, 09:21 AM

</P>

Nah, Andre Brown is not the answer. He looked nothing more than adequate in pre-season last year.</P>

He sat on our practice squad all year because not a single other team in the NFL thought that he was worth having on their 53 man roster (otherwise they could have signed him off of the Giants practice squad).</P>

My guess is that we swoop in and pick up a cheap veteran late in FA (Jacobs, Addai, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant, etc.) and also add another RB in the draft.</P>

MattMeyerBud
03-27-2012, 09:35 AM

</p>

Nah, Andre Brown is not the answer. He looked nothing more than adequate in pre-season last year.</p>

He sat on our practice squad all year because not a single other team in the NFL thought that he was worth having on their 53 man roster (otherwise they could have signed him off of the Giants practice squad).</p>

My guess is that we swoop in and pick up a cheap veteran late in FA (Jacobs, Addai, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant, etc.) and also add another RB in the draft.</p>

they went high on him and kep him around (for Reese standards of a RB), dont' be surprised to see him on the active roster this year

Bradshaw - Ware- Scott - Brown

GMENAGAIN
03-27-2012, 09:53 AM

</P>

Nah, Andre Brown is not the answer. He looked nothing more than adequate in pre-season last year.</P>

He sat on our practice squad all year because not a single other team in the NFL thought that he was worth having on their 53 man roster (otherwise they could have signed him off of the Giants practice squad).</P>

My guess is that we swoop in and pick up a cheap veteran late in FA (Jacobs, Addai, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant, etc.) and also add another RB in the draft.</P>

they went high on him and kep him around (for Reese standards of a RB), dont' be surprised to see him on the active roster this year

</P>

I will be surprised and disappointed . . . . I just think that the achilles injury just changed him from a potential playmaker to waiver wire fodder. It's a shame.</P>

I hope you're right, though, because he seems like a nice kid and you hate to see someone lose a career because of injury . . . . . . </P>

GameTime
03-27-2012, 10:43 AM

</P>

</P>

I will be surprised and disappointed . . . . I just think that the achilles injury just changed him from a potential playmaker to waiver wire fodder. It's a shame.</P>

I hope you're right, though, because he seems like a nice kid and you hate to see someone lose a career because of injury . . . . . . </P>

</P>

maybe not though. Willis McGehee had his knee bent totally in the opposite direction in college and has been a successful RB in the NFL. I wouldn't let the injury define him just yet. </P>

rondayneblows
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM

</p>

Nah, Andre Brown is not the answer. He looked nothing more than adequate in pre-season last year.</p>

He sat on our practice squad all year because not a single other team in the NFL thought that he was worth having on their 53 man roster (otherwise they could have signed him off of the Giants practice squad).</p>

My guess is that we swoop in and pick up a cheap veteran late in FA (Jacobs, Addai, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant, etc.) and also add another RB in the draft.</p>

I disagree, I thought he looked improved last preseason, like he'd turned a corner in his recovery. I could see nobody picking him up because a.) most teams had full rosters anyway and b.) he has the stigma of already bouncing around and being cut a bunch. It's possible those cuts were partially if not primarily due to him not being fully recovered though.

MattMeyerBud
03-27-2012, 11:41 AM

</p>

</p>

I will be surprised and disappointed . . . . I just think that the achilles injury just changed him from a potential playmaker to waiver wire fodder. It's a shame.</p>

I hope you're right, though, because he seems like a nice kid and you hate to see someone lose a career because of injury . . . . . . </p>

i remember reading a quote from Coughlin last year that he got faster and stronger since he recovered

MattMeyerBud
03-27-2012, 11:43 AM
here found the article

just saying, i'm not writing him off yet

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6846011/new-york-giants-running-back-andre-brown-comes-full-circle