PDA

View Full Version : Report: Reese voices concerns over DT Austin

burier
03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18065039

Mar. 26, 2012 4:38 p.m. - by Alex Raskin

Giants GM Jerry Reese told SiriusXM that he's concerned with 2011 second-round pick DT Marvin Austin, who hasn't played meaningful football since 2009 because a suspension at North Carolina and a pectoral injury before his rookie year. “This offseason is going to be big for him to get going again and get acclimated to playing football,” Reese said, as quoted by Ralph Vacchiano of the Daily News via Twitter.

GameTime
03-27-2012, 10:49 AM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2527945.aspx (/forums/thread/2527945.aspx)</P>

he has every right to be concerned. Many have said on this board "Austin in the middle with LJ will be great"....</P>

IMO....lets get the guy out of the trainers room for a few practices first. </P>

Time will tell</P>

buddy33
03-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Of course he would be, but im sure he is also somewhat optimistic as well. He did draft I'm in then 2nd round and although it was unfortunate for him to miss last year especially because he missed the prior year due to suspension, he is still young.

Missing two years ofncompetetive football hurts, but one of hose years missed was not because of injury and they said he was impressing in pre season. Hope he can come back and play to his ability because he is loaded with talent and can make their already great pass rush even better.

RoanokeFan
03-27-2012, 11:10 AM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2527945.aspx (/forums/thread/2527945.aspx)</p>

he has every right to be concerned. Many have said on this board "Austin in the middle with LJ will be great"....</p>

IMO....lets get the guy out of the trainers room for a few practices first. </p>

Time will tell</p>

I'm hoping he's this year's sleeper surprise

Kase-1
03-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Of course he would be, but im sure he is also somewhat optimistic as well. He did draft I'm in then 2nd round and although it was unfortunate for him to miss last year especially because he missed the prior year due to suspension, he is still young.

Missing two years ofncompetetive football hurts, but one of hose years missed was not because of injury and they said he was impressing in pre season. Hope he can come back and play to his ability because he is loaded with talent and can make their already great pass rush even better.He still hasnt played a meaningful game in 2years.

When he got drafted by us, I was THRILLED, dude was a beast in a pro-style 4-3 at UNC but then he got a pec injury and now he hasnt played in a game in what seems like AGES.

If he comes out and picks up where he left off thats great, but honestly Im expecting nothing at all. That being said we should look at a DT in the draft. I believe we only have 3 DTs signed with Canty, Linval, and Austin

buddy33
03-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Like I said, he is young. I think he is only 23. I don't expect him to come in and start, and they don't need him to anyway. Canty and Joseph played well last year. If he can get in some game shape during pre season he could add some depth for now and maybe by mid season he will be even more in game shape.

From what we heard last summer, after a year of not playing, he showed up to the combine in great shape and was impressing some in pre season.

GameTime
03-27-2012, 11:46 AM
http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2527945.aspx (/forums/thread/2527945.aspx)</P>

he has every right to be concerned. Many have said on this board "Austin in the middle with LJ will be great"....</P>

IMO....lets get the guy out of the trainers room for a few practices first. </P>

Time will tell</P>

I'm hoping he's this year's sleeper surprise
</P>

that would be nice.....</P>

the Giants need a few "sleepers" this upcoming season.....</P>

Raptor22
03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Folks, lets just remember: There's 30 days until the draft. Take EVERYTHING Reese says with a whole shaker of salt. If he says the sun is shining and its a beautiful day, check outside for yourself.

Smoke screens and doublespeak abound.

MattMeyerBud
03-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Missing two years ofncompetetive football hurts, but one of hose years missed was not because of injury and they said he was impressing in pre season. Hope he can come back and play to his ability because he is loaded with talent and can make their already great pass rush even better.He still hasnt played a meaningful game in 2years.

When he got drafted by us, I was THRILLED, dude was a beast in a pro-style 4-3 at UNC but then he got a pec injury and now he hasnt played in a game in what seems like AGES.

If he comes out and picks up where he left off thats great, but honestly Im expecting nothing at all. That being said we should look at a DT in the draft. I believe we only have 3 DTs signed with Canty, Linval, and Austin

BRING IN FAT ALBERT!

Kase-1
03-27-2012, 02:39 PM

<font color="#FF0000">
BRING IN FAT ALBERT!</font>
Fixed it for ya

NWKEffectElement
03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
His concern is justified. I am more concerned with the DT spot more than the RT position. I don't see anything wrong with going DT from 1-4 rounds depending on whats left.

JJC7301
03-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Legit concerns, all right. I liked the Austin pick last year, but him missing the '11 season was a real killer for his development.

We'll see how it goes.

NYG4ME
03-28-2012, 12:51 AM
Legit concerns, all right. I liked the Austin pick last year, but him missing the '11 season was a real killer for his development.

We'll see how it goes.

Reese likes to take chances on these guys.. a second round pick for this guy was a little crazy imo.. He had a high ceiling no doubt, but the NFL game is alot different then the college game, And at this point, he hasnt taken a snap since 09? He's got a long road ahead.

nygsb42champs
03-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Not playing football for 2 seasons is a very good reason for concern.

Firenugget
03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
I didn't see the word concerned anywhere in that quote. He just stated a fact. It's going to be a big offseason for him....Well...no ****.

TuckYou
03-28-2012, 01:01 PM
This is a legit concern, but Im wondering if this is the "PreDraft Smokescreen" stuff. Get other teams to start thinking we might need to take one of the good DTs in the 1st round if one slips to us. Personally, Im starting to think we may go WR. Stephan Hill?

NYG 5
03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
worse come to worse, send him to Oakland for a first rounder