PDA

View Full Version : Kruunch's 2012 Breakdown by Position (Defense)

Kruunch
03-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Here's my breakdown for our defense going into the 2012 Draft and season.

DT: Linval Joseph (2014), Chris Canty (2015), Marvin Austin (2015), and Dwayne Hendricks (2013 - RFA). With Austin being a huge question mark and Chris Canty's cap hit going north of $8 mil in the near future, as well as the DLine being the bread-n-butter of the Giants, this position looks to be a hot topic going into the draft. Priority: High

DE: Justin Tuck (2014), Jason Pierre Paul (2015), Osi Umenyiora (2013), Craig Marshall (2013 - RFA), and Justin Trattou (2013 - RFA). While DE is the #1 position on the Giants, we have 3 elite pass rushers going into 2012 (Osi, Tuck and JPP) and coverage the year after for losing Osi (if we don't extend him) in Kiwi and even Adrian Tracey (who is listed as a LB on the Giants roster but is being groomed as a DE). Priority: Moderate - Low (moderate because its always on our mind).

LB: Michael Boley (2014), Zak Deossie (2013), Mark Herzlich (2015), Greg Jones (2015), Mathias Kiwanuka (2013), Spencer Paysinger (2015), Clint Sintim (2013), Adrian Tracey (2013), Jacquian Williams (2015). While not the LBer corps of the 80s we have lots of bodies and depth at the various LBer positions with our starting corps looking like Kiwi, Boley, JWill. Priority: Low

DB: Antrel Rolle (2015), Kenny Phillips (2013), and Chris Horton (2013). With little depth, the Safety spot becomes a slightly higher priority, Especially if Phillips walks next year. Interestingly, T2 is listed as a DB, not a CB on the Giants roster currently. Priority: Moderate - High

CB: Corey Webster (2014), Prince Amakumara (2015), Terrel Thomas (2016). and Brandon Bing (2013 - RFA). With 3 legitimate starting CBs locked up for the next couple of years, this is not a position of immediate need. However look for T2 to slide over to Safety and/or the nickle CB leaving some room for depth here; Priority: Moderate - Low

Summary: DT is the top priority moving forward with DB coming in a distant second (I think we re-sign KP next year).

Prediction: Defying those who want Stephen Hill or Doug Martin or Coby Fleener, the Giants pick either Jerel Worthy, Devon Still or Kendal Reyes ... whichever DT falls to them in the first round. Look to George Iloka in the 2nd or Brandon Thompson in the 4th for DB help and a possible squeaker pick of Coryell Judie in the 4th or 5th (should he slip). DE will be a project player such as Donte Paige-Moss or Jack Crawford in the later rounds and we stand pat on LBers this year.

Kase-1
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Another great read my dude!!!

DT- I def agree, we havent had Austin play a game in 2yrs and we only have Canty and Linval to really step up and hold it down

DE- While we do have JPP, Osi, and Tuck next year we dont know what Osi is gonna do and Tucks injury history keeps me uneasy, I just dont trust his health for a full season anymore. That being said I can see us going DE in the 1st 3rounds. We like staying stocked with pass rushing DE's and with pass rushing beasts like Whitney Marcellus and Vinny Curry out there those guys have Giants written all over them

LB- Agree, I think we're good with what we got at LB. Kiwi is coming into his own at SAM, Boley is one of the best WILL's in the NFL, JQ Williams has proved that he can do it up and play with the best of them ya gotta love his speed, and Herzlich before his injury made us quickly forget about Goff he was a step slow but that football IQ is 100% there

S- I think its a position of need, but this years safety class is 'meh' at best, I dont know if Ive been spoiled with the recent safety classes but this years class doesnt do it for me. If anything I could see us taking a big CB and using him like we did with Rolle last season as a Nickel/Safety hybrid

CB- I feel like coverage guys are the new pass rushers in terms that you cant have enough of em on your team. We do have Webby and Prince, but T2 is coming off ANOTHER knee injury and id love if he picked up where he left off but Im not 100% sold on him yet

I see us looking at a DT, DE, and a big, physical CB (to convert to safety) in the draft

Kruunch
03-27-2012, 01:06 PM
Check out George Iloka. He started as a CB and transformed into a Safety. 6'4 and a wingspan like a condor.

That's our second round pick imo.

lawl
03-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Tyler Sash is on the team.

mikeq672
03-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Couldnt disagree with most of this any more than I do.

slipknottin
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM

and chad jones. Could have either no depth, or could be a pretty deep position depending on those two.

slipknottin
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Check out George Iloka. He started as a CB and transformed into a Safety. 6'4 and a wingspan like a condor.

He wasent a CB. He was a safety his first four years at boise state, but the last 2 games he had to play CB due to injuries.

Redeyejedi
03-27-2012, 08:00 PM

DT: Linval Joseph (2014), Chris Canty (2015), Marvin Austin (2015), and Dwayne Hendricks (2013 - RFA). With Austin being a huge question mark and Chris Canty's cap hit going north of $8 mil in the near future, as well as the DLine being the bread-n-butter of the Giants, this position looks to be a hot topic going into the draft. Priority: High

DE: Justin Tuck (2014), Jason Pierre Paul (2015), Osi Umenyiora (2013), Craig Marshall (2013 - RFA), and Justin Trattou (2013 - RFA). While DE is the #1 position on the Giants, we have 3 elite pass rushers going into 2012 (Osi, Tuck and JPP) and coverage the year after for losing Osi (if we don't extend him) in Kiwi and even Adrian Tracey (who is listed as a LB on the Giants roster but is being groomed as a DE). Priority: Moderate - Low (moderate because its always on our mind).

LB: Michael Boley (2014), Zak Deossie (2013), Mark Herzlich (2015), Greg Jones (2015), Mathias Kiwanuka (2013), Spencer Paysinger (2015), Clint Sintim (2013), Adrian Tracey (2013), Jacquian Williams (2015). While not the LBer corps of the 80s we have lots of bodies and depth at the various LBer positions with our starting corps looking like Kiwi, Boley, JWill. Priority: Low

DB: Antrel Rolle (2015), Kenny Phillips (2013), and Chris Horton (2013). With little depth, the Safety spot becomes a slightly higher priority, Especially if Phillips walks next year. Interestingly, T2 is listed as a DB, not a CB on the Giants roster currently. Priority: Moderate - High

CB: Corey Webster (2014), Prince Amakumara (2015), Terrel Thomas (2016). and Brandon Bing (2013 - RFA). With 3 legitimate starting CBs locked up for the next couple of years, this is not a position of immediate need. However look for T2 to slide over to Safety and/or the nickle CB leaving some room for depth here; Priority: Moderate - Low

Summary: DT is the top priority moving forward with DB coming in a distant second (I think we re-sign KP next year).

Prediction: Defying those who want Stephen Hill or Doug Martin or Coby Fleener, the Giants pick either Jerel Worthy, Devon Still or Kendal Reyes ... whichever DT falls to them in the first round. Look to George Iloka in the 2nd or Brandon Thompson in the 4th for DB help and a possible squeaker pick of Coryell Judie in the 4th or 5th (should he slip). DE will be a project player such as Donte Paige-Moss or Jack Crawford in the later rounds and we stand pat on LBers this year.I think Reyes is a darkhorse selection that isnt mentioned by the draftniks much to the Giants. He has many Giant qualities. I think your discounting WR. I think the Giants need another weapon in the passing game. Another guy on the outside to me is a big need. Coby Fleener probably goes before the Giants pick.
I think safety and DT are positions competition is needed . Canty and Rolle have big contracts and Phillips is a FA next season

NY_Eli
03-27-2012, 09:02 PM
You forgot Michael Coe and Justin Tryon.

JJC7301
03-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Prediction: Defying those who want Stephen Hill or Doug Martin or Coby Fleener, the Giants pick either Jerel Worthy, Devon Still or Kendal Reyes ... whichever DT falls to them in the first round. Look to George Iloka in the 2nd or Brandon Thompson in the 4th for DB help and a possible squeaker pick of Coryell Judie in the 4th or 5th (should he slip). DE will be a project player such as Donte Paige-Moss or Jack Crawford in the later rounds and we stand pat on LBers this year.
I agree with you 100% about DT and DB. Like your assessments.

Although I'd love to have Cordy Glenn on the OL, he won't fall to us. I'd love to have Still or Reyes on the DL or even Barron at S, but he won't fall either. I think of the 4 players I just mentioned, Reyes is the only one likely to be there at # 32.

dave56dj
03-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Krunch - I like your assessment and having seen previous posts its clear you know big blue - which makes me wonder why you discount Reese's drafting style.

1-2 - BPA - find superstar regardless of position.
3-5 - More need
5-7 - back to intangibles and raw athletes.

This is in fact the reason why I don't know why anyone would mock a giants draft unless its based on talent alone.

I would agree with your needs - although I would say while LB has some young bodies mixed with vets there is still a need for an impact player - although i realize they have had 2 superbowl runs without a real Impact LB (boley and pierce are nice players) that doesn't mean they wont or cant find a stud here. I do believe they have potential strong players in j will and herzlich.

Also as previously mentione Sash, Tryon, Coe, Witherspoon were left out of depth in secondary. And why are you discounting offense? Or can we see your offensive analysis?

BlueSanta
03-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I dunno I see a lot of holes in your logic, mostly because you left out players from your positional evaluations.

You say Adrian Tracy is being groomed mainly as a DE. That's not true at all. He is a LB on this team and has been since day 1.

You leave out Tyler Sash from your safety evaluation, a guy the coaches
were very high on last year. You also left out Chad Jones, and although
this isnt as big an offense as Sash, it is still an omission.

You say the starting Lbs will be Boley, Kiwi, and Jwill. The problem is, not a 1 of those 3 guys is a MLB.

I do agree that a DT pick is a big possibility, but not for the reasons you listed. I think it the position with the most projected value remaining at the time we pick.

I would also argue that with the loss of Tolly, we have almost no depth at the LDE position. Tuck has started amassing injuries and when he missed time last year, we used a combination of JPP, Canty and Tolly to replace him. Canty was only briefly there and didnt have much success as the position, at least compared to his performance at DT. JPP did well, but his numbers paled in comparison to what he did from the right side. Tolly did well as a passrusher, but he is gone now. I think we look for a guy who can play the LDE position as depth behind Tuck and a possible eventual replacement. I think there is a reason 1 of the 1st interviews the Giants pursued was Syracuse DE Chandler Jones. He is a more natural LDE( who played RDE at cuse last year.)

Lastly, while we may not select a RB in the 1st round, a RB pick is very likely at some point. It is a very good class and we have a lot of production to replace. I think restablishing a ground game is going to be a top priority of this team. We will select a RB and I think we will get a Olineman or 2 as well.

joeybagadonutz23
03-27-2012, 11:32 PM
Has Goff been released? Hard time believing that cuz he was CHEAP.

slipknottin
03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Has Goff been released? Hard time believing that cuz he was CHEAP.

he was a free agent who hasent resigned. Could be he wants more money.

B&RWarrior
03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
I agree DT is the highest priority on the defense. But I don't want a pass rushing DT. I'd prefer a run-stuffing DT. If we are not going to make moves for a LB and not draft an impact LB then having a DT that can eat up blockers and take on double teams, so that are average LBs can go make plays is crucial..

CB is 2nd on my list.

I think we may want to go after a CB before a DT because we can get a run stuffer in later rounds, but a quality CB will be hard to come by later on.

Flip Empty
03-28-2012, 12:19 AM
CB is 2nd on my list.

I think we may want to go after a CB before a DT because we can get a run stuffer in later rounds, but a quality CB will be hard to come by later on.
Having Webster, T2, Prince, Coe and Tryon makes CB a high priority?

mikeq672
03-28-2012, 10:07 AM

I agree with the defensive line. DT is a definite need as there is almost no depth, no idea what Austin can give us. DE isnt a "need" per say, but if there is value there Reese will make the pick at any point in the draft.

And this is where you get sketchy. In no way is out linebacking corp all set. The 3 starters you named are all outside linebackers, to be precise its 2 outside linebackers and a defensive end. Priority here is high.

Safeties is a toss up with Sash and Jones. I think Horton can be solid and obviously KP and Rolle start. Not a huge need but again if there is a good value pick there, Reese will make it.

Cornerback is WAY off. We have 3 legitimate starters? Thats news to me. Prince looked pretty bad all year, TT is coming off major surgery. You dont know what youre getting get from either of those guys.

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM

They're both currently free agents (Giants haven't re-signed them yet).

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 10:49 AM

and chad jones. Could have either no depth, or could be a pretty deep position depending on those two.

Oops I did forget Sash however he was a late round pick that hasn't shown he can be much more then an ST player yet and Chad Jones might not play a down of NFL football in his life.

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
I think Reyes is a darkhorse selection that isnt mentioned by the draftniks much to the Giants. He has many Giant qualities. I think your discounting WR. I think the Giants need another weapon in the passing game. Another guy on the outside to me is a big need. Coby Fleener probably goes before the Giants pick.
I think safety and DT are positions competition is needed . Canty and Rolle have big contracts and Phillips is a FA next season

I like what I've seen of Reyes and I think he could contribute right away as well. Guess we'll just how "worried" they are about Austin.

I also think people are hyping WR more then the Giants normally attend that position. Under Reese (and Accorsi before him) we've only ever tried to maintain one defacto #1 receiver. We currently have two. I don't see us trying to add a third, which is why I think we don't go WR in the first.

Flip Empty
03-28-2012, 10:58 AM

They were among the first players to be re-signed http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 11:12 AM

He wasent a CB. He was a safety his first four years at boise state, but the last 2 games he had to play CB due to injuries.

Sorry you're correct.

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 11:13 AM

They were among the first players to be re-signed http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants

Guess Spotrac.com didn't catch up with them yet (the site I usually use for base contract information).

However both are depth signings for body count ... I don't think either would ever contend for a starting role short of filling in due to injury.

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Krunch - I like your assessment and having seen previous posts its clear you know big blue - which makes me wonder why you discount Reese's drafting style.

1-2* - BPA - find superstar regardless of position.
3-5 - More need
5-7 - back to intangibles and raw athletes.

This is in fact the reason why I don't know why anyone would mock a giants draft unless its based on talent alone.

I would agree with your needs - although I would say while LB has some young bodies mixed with vets* there is still a need for an impact player - although i realize they have had 2* superbowl runs without a real Impact LB (boley and pierce are nice players) that doesn't mean they wont or cant find a stud here. I do believe they have potential strong players in j will and herzlich.

Also as previously mentione Sash, Tryon, Coe, Witherspoon were left out of depth in secondary. And why are you discounting offense? Or can we see your offensive analysis?

Well BPA means different things to different people and in most cases (especially on these boards) it's just a short cut to saying "I'm too lazy to think about it and/or have an opinion."

Having said that, Reese does *NOT* draft consensus BPA in the first or second rounds.

Let's look at his record:

2011: Prince Amukamara (BPA/Value ... top 10 talent dropped in our lap) / Marvin Austin (Value ... he didn't even play in the 2010 season ... this pick was a prospect pick based on him having a projected first round grade had he played).

2010: JPP (Project/Desire .... athletic freak but totally raw ... consensus BPA where we picked was Mike Iupati). / Linval Joseph (BPA/Need ... we already knew we were cutting ties with Cofield so DT was a high need pick).

2009: Hakeem Nicks (Need ... pure need pick based on replacing Plax ... consensus BPA when we picked was Kenny Brit (whereas Nicks was considered the most NFL ready receiver and we needed someone to start right away) / Clint Sintim (BPA/Need ... he went BPA first and tried to fit a square peg in a round hole (Sintim is a 3-4 OLB)) / Will Beatty (Need ... DD replacement).

2008: Kenny Phillips (BPA/Need) / Terrel Thomas (Need ... remember CWeb was iffy at that point).

2007: Aaron Ross (Need ... Sam Madison was 107 years old ... and Ross was the fastest CB but not the most technically proficient) / Steve Smith (Project/Desire/Need: they wanted a burner out of the slot who could replace Toomer ... they got a possession receiver who replaced Toomer).

In the first two rounds Reese drafts a combination of Need (first), athletic ability, proficiency, and versatility. That's what creates "BPA" in Reese's mind (at least according to his draft history). He rarely drafts consensus BPA and has shied away from drafting soley on athletic BPA the way Accorsi stuck to it (although that still figures into his decision making prominently).

I did offense in a different thread. http://boards.giants.com/forums/2/2528427/ShowThread.aspx

[b]

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
I dunno I see a lot of holes in your logic, mostly because you left out players from your positional evaluations.

You say Adrian Tracy is being groomed mainly as a DE. That's not true at all. He is a LB on this team and has been since day 1.

You leave out Tyler Sash from your safety evaluation, a guy the coaches
were very high on last year. You also left out Chad Jones, and although
this isnt as big an offense as Sash, it is still an omission.

You say the starting Lbs will be Boley, Kiwi, and Jwill. The problem is, not a 1 of those 3 guys is a MLB.

I do agree that a DT pick is a big possibility, but not for the reasons you listed. I think it the position with the most projected value remaining at the time we pick.

I would also argue that with the loss of Tolly, we have almost no depth at the LDE position. Tuck has started amassing injuries and when he missed time last year, we used a combination of JPP, Canty and Tolly to replace him. Canty was only briefly there and didnt have much success as the position, at least compared to his performance at DT. JPP did well, but his numbers paled in comparison to what he did from the right side. Tolly did well as a passrusher, but he is gone now. I think we look for a guy who can play the LDE position as depth behind Tuck and a possible eventual replacement. I think there is a reason 1 of the 1st interviews the Giants pursued was Syracuse DE Chandler Jones. He is a more natural LDE( who played RDE at cuse last year.)

Lastly, while we may not select a RB in the 1st round, a RB pick is very likely at some point. It is a very good class and we have a lot of production to replace. I think restablishing a ground game is going to be a top priority of this team. We will select a RB and I think we will get a Olineman or 2 as well.

Adrian Tracey was signed to the practice squad as a DE this year.

Tyler Sash is a 6th round draft pick who got burned repeatedly and only really showed up ST. I don't consider him quality depth / potential starter until he proves otherwise (I did forget to list him however, sorry about that).

Boley was used as the MLB for half the season last year and Reese has already been quoted as saying he's thinking of going that direction in 2012. However if you prefer: Boley, Herzlich, Kiwi (although I think my original projected line up will be more accurate based on the Giants wanting to field what they consider their best players).

JPP played LDE a lot in college and Kiwi can slide to that position if/when needed (and often does on Nascar packages). We do need depth there but it's not an immediate need imo. However given the Giants' view of pass rushing DEs (their #1 priority position) you could be right and they go DE high up or first in the draft.

I agree that we'll pick a RB somewhere in the draft and I mention this in my offense thread. However you are mistaken that his draft is deep at RB ... it's considered a very poor draft for RBs. The *value* in this draft at RB however is in the 2nd-3rd rounds (imo).

Kruunch
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
I agree DT is the highest priority on the defense. But I don't want a pass rushing DT. I'd prefer a run-stuffing DT. If we are not going to make moves for a LB and not draft an impact LB then having a DT that can eat up blockers and take on double teams, so that are average LBs can go make plays is crucial..

CB is 2nd on my list.

I can get behind that, although with very few exceptions I consider most DTs to be run-stuffers first, no matter their physical makeup (it is the cornerstone of the position after all). I would also submit that you will see DTs in general becoming taller and a bit leaner/athletic as the passing league trend continues (there isn't a single power run team in the NFL currently).

However I disagree about CB ... we're currently very stacked at CB for the next two years at least. I see a mid-round pick for depth at best (I could be very wrong ... just my take on it). Somewhere along the lines of Coryell Judie for instance.