PDA

View Full Version : Need a 3rd receiver

TroyArcher
03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Odds are either Cruz or Nicks will miss games duirng the season (hopefully no serious injuries). When one of them are out that leaves Eli with not many options. With a sub-par running game (I don't see it improving that much next year) and without top notch WR threats the offense will be stifled. I hope we pick up a solid receiver in the draft or FA. I'd love to see Jernigan, Barden or Hixon take that role but I see all of them as a big drop from Manningham.

GameTime
03-27-2012, 06:26 PM
MM had a great playoff run but he was out more games than Cruz or Nicks. He also only had 40 catches and 4 TDs during the reg season. They shoud be able to get that production from some body else.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Odds are either Cruz or Nicks will miss games duirng the season (hopefully no serious injuries).* When one of them are out that leaves Eli with not many options.* With a sub-par running game (I don't see it improving that much next year) and without top notch WR threats the offense will be stifled.* I hope we pick up a solid receiver in the draft or FA.* I'd love to see Jernigan, Barden or Hixon take that role but I see all of them as a big drop from Manningham.*
Jernigan, and theres a guy on the practice squad that the coaches and players love. Number 19.

NY_Eli
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
I think Jernigan will be the guy. I think we'll see big things from him next year.

G-Men Surg.
03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
I think Jernigan will be the guy. I think we'll see big things from him next year.
JJ will get his chance to shine, lets hope he takes this opportunity by the horns. That been said I do see the Giants going after a WR this year in the draft.

RoanokeFan
03-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Don't overlook Hixon. I know he's had two ACL's but they signed him again and he runs very good routes and had great hands.

Overdrive92
03-27-2012, 09:19 PM

Really?

I have no faith in Jernigan. He looked real bad this year. I have more faith in Hixon or Barden.

King Sully
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM

Really?

I have no faith in Jernigan. He looked real bad this year. I have more faith in Hixon or Barden.

how do you have any faith in barden?

greenca190
03-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Hasn't this been a "concern" for the last three off seasons?

Don't worry, guys.

JJC7301
03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Odds are either Cruz or Nicks will miss games duirng the season (hopefully no serious injuries).* When one of them are out that leaves Eli with not many options.* With a sub-par running game (I don't see it improving that much next year) and without top notch WR threats the offense will be stifled.* I hope we pick up a solid receiver in the draft or FA.* I'd love to see Jernigan, Barden or Hixon take that role but I see all of them as a big drop from Manningham.*
Either one of our guys will step up, or we'll draft one pretty high. I think that either JJ or Barden will step up.

joeybagadonutz23
03-27-2012, 11:43 PM

If I've learned one thing from watching Eli Manning, it's that he makes the players around him better. MM was a decent receiver, but not a great loss IMO. I think of losing MM just like it was when we lost Boss. His production will easily be replaced and his number won't be much better, if at all with his new team. It only took Oakland one year to dump Boss, as he's now a KC Chief. He got $6 million for that one year (4 mil guaranteed last season and 2 mil guaranteed this year), and now he's gone just 28 catche for 368 yards and 3 TD's last season.

Toadofsteel
03-28-2012, 12:01 AM
highest need is on the OL. Fix that, you fix our run game, and you give Eli the time in the pocket to make anyone a powerhouse WR...

joeybagadonutz23
03-28-2012, 12:13 AM
highest need is on the OL. Fix that, you fix our run game, and you give Eli the time in the pocket to make anyone a powerhouse WR...

Couldn't agree more. And I hope that's the way they go in the 1st or 2nd round. Not much talk around here about the OL though. They were the weak link last season. The D was good once healthy.

giantsfan420
03-28-2012, 12:17 AM

yeah i agree.

i originally was all about signing SS12. but seeing Reese pass on him makes me think that perhaps i was letting my memory dictate what I believed the future could be.

If we can sure up our OL and get them playing at a high level in both pass and run blocking, then eli could make a panda a legitimate 3rd wr option.

if reese believes JJ or Barden can be that 3rd wr for us and be a legit threat, than thats good enough for me. but honestly that was why i wanted SS back, for insurance in case JJ or Barden dont pan out bc I sure as heck dont want a stokley re-signing #2.

but i also believe we will draft a WR or TE in the 1rst round. a guy like fleener could be that 3rd passing option from the slot while being groomed to be our full time TE. bennett and ballard are only signed to 1 year deals, so we could kill two birds with one stone by drafting fleener.

regardless, however reese handles it will be the best possible way all things considered so its exciting to see who its going to be...cant lie, kendal wright at 32 would be a dream. him or fleener would make up for not signing SS and then some...

nYg24
03-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Don't overlook Hixon.* I know he's had two ACL's but they signed him again and he runs very good routes and had great hands.

Hixon will never be more than a 4th receiver. He is very average. If anyone is going to take over the 3rd receiver spot its gong to be JJ or Barden. Idk about the rest of you but i was impressed with Barden when he got his opportunities.

mainegiantsfan
03-28-2012, 12:53 AM
When healthy, Hixon is a potential no. 1 reciever. Has shown speed, good route running, and hands. What more do you want? JJ has proven nothing.

joeybagadonutz23
03-28-2012, 01:05 AM
When healthy, Hixon is a potential no. 1 reciever. Has shown speed, good route running, and hands. What more do you want? JJ has proven nothing.

The problem is that he hasnt been healthy and he just underwent his 2nd major knee surgery (2 torn ACL's). We don't even know if he'll play again, let alone make the team and stay healthy.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-28-2012, 02:07 AM

Really?

Manningham was just awful his first year. He was terrible.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-28-2012, 02:08 AM
Dan Depalma..

BillTheGreek
03-28-2012, 06:50 AM
I think Jerrel Jernigan is ready, lets see what he can do, I say give him another shot.

nygsb42champs
03-28-2012, 08:01 AM
MM regular season stats can be replaced.

timmytimm3
03-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Really?

Manningham was just awful his first year. He was terrible.

And he had an offseason...

Jernigan has on field speed. I get the feeling he will break one in the open field.

BigBlue1971
03-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Hixon should be the obvious choice with his experience and elusiveness but health issues are still fresh in his and Giant fans minds!</P>

if he can stay healthy he should share #3 duties with Jernigan. actually this may be a good problem for the G-Men.....filling the #3 receiver spot!</P>

buddy33
03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
As was said, JJ did not have the benefit of a full training camp.

As, a rookie I think Toomer had 1 catch and Manningham had 4.

Give JJ a chance.

While I am pulling for him, I'd be very surprised if Hixon does much this year. I mean tearing the same ACL twice is bad enough, but he did it twice in just about a year.

Redeyejedi
03-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Hixon should be the obvious choice with his experience and elusiveness but health issues are still fresh in his and Giant fans minds!</P>

if he can stay healthy he should share #3 duties with Jernigan.* actually this may be a good problem for the G-Men.....filling the #3 receiver spot!</P>Im not crazy about the depth behind Nicks and Cruz.. Jernigan is more of a slot receiver and Cruz is lethal there.Wouldnt count on Hixon for anything. With 2 ACL's who knows how well he can cut and run anymore. I was never high on Barden and 3 years later my opinions havent changed much. The best offenses in the NFL have overloaded there QB's with weapons I think the Giants would be wise to do the same. Another outside WR preferably with Size is a very good idea

GameTime
03-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I think Jernigan will be the guy. I think we'll see big things from him next year. Really? I have no faith in Jernigan. He looked real bad this year. I have more faith in Hixon or Barden.</P>

and you are basing that on a handful play?. You have no idea what this kid may or may not do. </P>

You have faith in Barden doing what?....Getting injured again or looking totally lost??\</P>

GameTime
03-28-2012, 09:19 AM
When healthy, Hixon is a potential no. 1 reciever. Has shown speed, good route running, and hands. What more do you want? JJ has proven nothing.</P>

potential #1???....I like Hixon but no way. </P>

How much opportunity has JJ even had to "prove" himself?? Thats a joke of a comment.</P>

ryan12
03-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Don't overlook Hixon.* I know he's had two ACL's but they signed him again and he runs very good routes and had great hands.

i like hixon but he cant stay healthy. sanu from rutgers should be there in the 2nd dude is a beast

Flip Empty
03-28-2012, 10:21 AM
When healthy, Hixon is a potential no. 1 reciever. Has shown speed, good route running, and hands. What more do you want? JJ has proven nothing.</P>

potential #1???....I like Hixon but no way. </P>

How much opportunity has JJ even had to "prove" himself?? Thats a joke of a comment.</P>
Yeah, wasn't impressed with him as a deep threat. I remember balls hitting the turf with him in the vicinity. Excellent situational WR and return man though.

buddy33
03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't think Sanu will be there when they pick but if he was I'd love the pick.

No, he is not very fast, but he is a big body WR that has great hands and is fearless. He is also a great character guy. He also had rotating QB's during his career at RU.

ryan12
03-28-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't think Sanu will be there when they pick but if he was I'd love the pick.

No, he is not very fast, but he is a big body WR that has great hands and is fearless. He is also a great character guy. He also had rotating QB's during his career at RU.

maybe we card trade up for him in the second rd. he is a redzone monster would love him. with sanu we would have the best 3wr tandem

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Don't overlook Hixon. I know he's had two ACL's but they signed him again and he runs very good routes and had great hands.

Hixon will never be more than a 4th receiver. He is very average. If anyone is going to take over the 3rd receiver spot its gong to be JJ or Barden. Idk about the rest of you but i was impressed with Barden when he got his opportunities.

Hixon has been the # 3 receiver. Barden is not a better receiver than Hixon and Jernigan hasn't yet proven he was worth being drafted.

It will be decided in training camp but, as I said, don't discount Hixon. When healthy he is a better than average receiver and an excellent returner.

He holds the record for most all purpose yards in a single game.

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 11:13 AM

The problem is that he hasnt been healthy and he just underwent his 2nd major knee surgery (2 torn ACL's). We don't even know if he'll play again, let alone make the team and stay healthy.

Of course he'll play again, they just re-signed him. While his health will always be a concern, he's still, right now, the best choice of the three being mentioned.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-28-2012, 11:38 AM

Hixon has been the # 3 receiver.* Barden is not a better receiver than Hixon and Jernigan hasn't yet proven he was worth being drafted.

It will be decided in training camp but, as I said, don't discount Hixon.* When healthy he is a better than average receiver and an excellent returner.

He holds the record for most all purpose yards in a single game.*

Hixon is a really good receiver. What he adds back the most is the return game. He is by far the best returner on the Giants. Number 3 receiver will either by JJ or Dan DePalma.

TroyArcher
03-28-2012, 08:06 PM

I agree that OL should be the #1 priority. Eli has to be protected and the run game has to improve. Giants football.