PDA

View Full Version : All turnovers now subject to review

giants2thebowl
03-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Just like the touchdown rule implemented last year now all turnovers will be subject for an officials' review. Will slow down the game immensely. Adam Schefter ? @AdamSchefter Reply Retweet Favorite Open
All turnovers now will be subject to review like scoring plays. No coaching challenged will be needed.

Manning
03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
This will make the game faster... no long stupid coach challenges on turnovers that are obvious.

giants2thebowl
03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
They will still be reviewed? Are you trying to say that there was no cases this year where a touchdown was quite clearly a touchdown and was still reviewed?

Manning
03-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Turnover takes place... all changes in possession usually go straight to commercial break... booth official will now confirm the play soon after the turnover, or during the commercial break now. If it needs to be reviewed, the review will begin while commercial break is still taking place.

This is what was happening:
A questionable turnover would take place on the field. The game goes to a commercial break because the play stands as a turnover at the moment. We get back from commercial break and THEN the coach throws the challenge flag before the snap of the next play. We would then have to wait for that review to take place, and potentially go right back to another commercial break.

MikeIsaGiant
03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Good I'm glad they're doing this

BlueJayC
03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Just like the TD rule it first has to be declared a TO.......won't include plays that should be turnovers but weren't ruled as such on the field.....so an obvious fumble that wasn't called a fumble won't get a review unless challenged......blows.....

PIERCEnumber58rules
03-28-2012, 03:32 PM
Good I'm glad they're doing this

+1. I love the college football system, and am glad the NFL is adopting it.

EDIT: Is it just all turnovers, or all plays? I thought I got an ESPN update earlier that said all plays are now going to be reviewed?

nygsb42champs
03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
It could slow the game down but in the end I think it will speed it up. The coaches won't have to wait until someone sees a replay and then throw the flag.

Medisleman
03-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Awful decision. Let's just review all plays by instant replay. So dumb, I don't believe in replay and never have. Human error is part of sports. Why have on field officials at all. The league office can just replay every play and call penalties and assess fines.

bill2000
03-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Turnover takes place... all changes in possession usually go straight to commercial break... booth official will now confirm the play soon after the turnover, or during the commercial break now. If it needs to be reviewed, the review will begin while commercial break is still taking place.

A questionable turnover would take place on the field. The game goes to a commercial break because the play stands as a turnover at the moment. We get back from commercial break and THEN the coach throws the challenge flag before the snap of the next play. We would then have to wait for that review to take place, and potentially go right back to another commercial break.

If the review happens during the commercial break this will be awful for the TV viewer. If this is how its going to be I hate this rule.

Manning
03-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Why? It won't be in commercials for full review, most likely due to timing ref will be close to coming out of the booth when the break end.

sg92
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM

*If the review happens during the commercial break this will be awful for the TV viewer. If this is how its going to be I hate this rule.

At first blush I didn't like it because I hate reviews, but if it does take place during downtime it will be great. As it is today, the coaches use that 2 minutes to review the film, then throw the challenge when we come back from break (causing another 2 minute delay).

Now if the NFL would only move the replay review to somebody upstairs rather than having the ref walk over to the peep show booth....

GeoGoGo
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Ummm...who cares if it slows the game down? I am a bit more concerned with get it right not get it over quick.

G-Man67
03-28-2012, 05:58 PM
thank goodness for that ... that crazy call vs. us in the GB games still baffles me</P>

only problem is the refs still have those pesky whistles and can still jack things up if they blow them too soon or too late ... still a step in the right direction</P>

DemandedAce
03-28-2012, 06:35 PM
I have mixed feelings on this... Kind of dilutes the value of coach's challenges a bit on one hand but on the other makes for a more fairly called game when the refs are being ridiculous and you have to blow all your challenges just to get the obvious calls.

I'll have to wait to see it in action, at least they brought the OT rules into reg season though, still could use tweaking IMO

giantsfan420
03-28-2012, 06:38 PM
i thought i read that this means coaches no longer get challenges. which confuses me bc lets say there was a clear fumble that the refs didn't call or see. how does the play get reviewed? the rule says it will review all turnovers, so im assuming a turnover has to have taken place during the play. if the refs miss the turnover, then what?
so am I not remembering correctly and the coaches still get challenges? or how will they address these types of situations?

pino
03-28-2012, 06:43 PM
I think NFL will go 5 for 5 on this year's changes. I like every one of them.

nhpgiantsfan
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
This is great. I would bet we will see the refs call anything that is close a fumble or pick, because they know it will get looked at. Coaches will still have their challenges also which they probably use more freely now that they don't have to worry about trying to overturn a turnover.

NYGRealityCheck
03-28-2012, 07:49 PM
As long as the review process comes up with the correct calls..

Otherwise it's meaningless.

Greg Jennings still got his bobble-TD against the Giants after review. Ballard didn't get the TD with his knee down before going out of bounds after review.

Even with this review, they cannot override plays that are blown dead by the referees during the turnover. So the Lions will still get screwed out of a fumble-return TD against the Saints in the playoffs.

And you'll know it's going to go south if they ever let teams challenge penalties...