PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN TAKES A JAB AT JETS

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 11:22 AM
GIANTS' TOM COUGHLIN TAKES A JAB AT JETS (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_tom_coughlin_takes_a_ja.html)

"Tom Coughlin isn't one to talk a big game; he usually leaves that to the
boisterous team he shares MetLife Stadium with. It was evidenced last season
when he continuously reiterated one of the team's mottoes: "talk is cheap." He
echoed the refrain in the lead-up to the Giants' Christmas Eve showdown against
the Jets whose coach Rex Ryan had repeatedly proclaimed the Jets were done being
the little brother in town and were taking the area over.

Today, with the Jets' trade for Tim Tebow stealing all the headlines from his
Super Bowl-winning team serving as the backdrop, Coughlin let some trash talk
slip.</p>

"You know who won the Super Bowl even if we're not on front page," he told
reporters at the NFL's annual meetings this morning in Palm Beach, Fla. "New
Yorkers know."</p>

With Tebow coming in to seemingly split snaps with incumbent starter Mark
Sanchez, Coughlin then said he doesn't believe in rotating quarterbacks. </p>

This comes after Giants owner John Mara <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/03/giants_john_mara_says_cowboys.html">took
a slight shot at Jets on Sunday</a> with Tebow's grand press conference looming
the next day, telling reporters, "the David Carr press conference will be
tomorrow afternoon, too.”</p>

Carr, of course, recently re-signed with the Giants to return as Eli
Manning's backup. No press conference was actually held. </p>

***</p>

Yesterday, Mara said the team expects to work out a multi-year contract
extension for Coughlin within the next six weeks. </p>

“We've had a lot of good discussions since the Super Bowl, and I have no
doubt it's going to get done very soon,’’ <a href="http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/coughlin_contract_extension_coming_2fku0VZvZMuOffP 9f0pzUM">Mara
told The New York Post</a>. “As I've said, Tom is our guy, and we think we have
the best coach in the league."</p>

Coughlin had been on the proverbial hot seat when the Giants plummeted to 7-7
after a 6-2 start last season, but he wound up becoming the oldest coach to ever
win a Super Bowl, his second with the Giants. The 66-year-old remains the oldest
coach in the league and earned $5.25 million in 2011 under a one-year
contract."</p>

Manning
03-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm starting to hate the media, this wasn't a jab at the Jets.

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM

But how else would they get us to read what they write? On some levels they're right. If the headline were "TOM COUGLHIN HAS BREAKFAST WITH POST REPORTER" it just doesn't have the same punch.

There is a lot of mileage to be made of the "rivalry" which really doesn't exist. We aren't rivals in the truest sense of the term. It simply makes for good copy.

CTLadyBlue
03-28-2012, 11:44 AM

It was more of a jab to the situation on New York with the Jets/Tebow coverage hogging the front and back pages. TC was just stating that regardless of this, New Yorkers still remember who won the Superbowl.

Its more a jab at the media and their incessant coverage

MikeIsaGiant
03-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah agree up there ^

THE_New_York_Giants
03-28-2012, 11:53 AM
good lol. Everyone knows the Jets are a laughing stock. I like Tebow though. I've met him and he really is a super nice guy. I mean sure he gets a lot of media attention, but I don't see him pulling a T.O with it and he isn't a bad sportsman like Sanchez. A Jets team without Sanchez and Ryan and with Tebow is one I could potentially like.

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 11:55 AM

It was more of a jab to the situation on New York with the Jets/Tebow coverage hogging the front and back pages. TC was just stating that regardless of this, New Yorkers still remember who won the Superbowl.

Its more a jab at the media and their incessant coverage

I couldn't believe we had to be treated to a press conference for a back up QB. But it's the largest media market in the world and it certainly gives them scads of material to write about. They create all of the garbage and we feed off of it.

Firenugget
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
The guy shows a sense of humor and all of a sudden it's a "jab". No wonder everyone hates the media. Journalism is dead.

AGiantDynasty
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I love what Tom has been able to do for us, on and off the field. But a multi year contract extension worries me a bit. He isnt getting any younger. This game takes A LOT out of a coach.

Hopefully we can get a young coach soon that Tom can kinda groom into the next HC. I can completely see him doing that on his way out.

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 12:17 PM
I love what Tom has been able to do for us, on and off the field. But a multi year contract extension worries me a bit. He isnt getting any younger. This game takes A LOT out of a coach.

Hopefully we can get a young coach soon that Tom can kinda groom into the next HC. I can completely see him doing that on his way out.

He works out at the TIMEX center every day, he feels fine by all accounts, and age is a relative term.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
I love what Tom has been able to do for us, on and off the field.* But a multi year contract extension worries me a bit.* He isnt getting any younger.* This game takes A LOT out of a coach.*

Hopefully we can get a young coach soon that Tom can kinda groom into the next HC.* I can completely see him doing that on his way out.*

He works out at the TIMEX center every day, he feels fine by all accounts, and age is a relative term.*

My grandfather got his first DUI at age 103. Still kicking it at age 105. He walks 5k's and always wins the race for his age group ;).
You are only as old as you feel.

hungrrrry
03-28-2012, 04:30 PM
I love what Tom has been able to do for us, on and off the field.* But a multi year contract extension worries me a bit.* He isnt getting any younger.* This game takes A LOT out of a coach.*

Hopefully we can get a young coach soon that Tom can kinda groom into the next HC.* I can completely see him doing that on his way out.*

Why would it worry you? It doesn't affect the cap at all...if Tom can't get it done, they will square up the contract and bring someone else in. Tom will get paid and thats it. Unless you have money invested in the organization...and I don't mean a jersy and Giants paraphenaylia...why worry.

I think Tom is great pay him 10 mil this year for all I care. I watch the game on TV most of the time so that won't be affected either