PDA

View Full Version : Devin Thomas signs with Bears

King Sully
03-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Bust as a receiver, but key special teams guy for us

SOURCE:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-sign-wr-devin-thomas-to-oneyear-deal-20120328,0,2564456.story

chizz
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
welp

AllTuckedUp
03-28-2012, 08:51 PM
***. I'm getting pissed off. Thomas was great on special teams and can definitely play the #3.

GMENAGAIN
03-28-2012, 08:53 PM
WTF. I'm getting pissed off. Thomas was great on special teams and can definitely play the #3.

You're pissed off by the loss of Devin Thomas??? lol

titwio
03-28-2012, 08:54 PM
So does this mean Justin Tryon is the new gunner?

Devin had so much team value...gunner, wr, returner. He only got a 1yr deal so I know it's not much. Wondering why the Giants let him go.

TheEnigma
03-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Clearly the Bears signed him so that Thomas can spill the beans on our special teams schemes so that Devin Hester can get more punt return touchdowns.

DragonSoul
03-28-2012, 09:13 PM

SOURCE:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-sign-wr-devin-thomas-to-oneyear-deal-20120328,0,2564456.storyVery good ST player for us. I think he might of had a chance this year to show up if he has ability. Problem was he had no QB in Wash, and in NY we were so deep he couldn't get a realistic chance.

Maybe he will show something in Chicago. They only have Marshall now so he may have a shot at it. Jay is a good QB. If he didn't get injured and with that run game and defense they would have been in as the possible other wild card.

Evo'Ed
03-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Kind of sad to lose a player who played such a key role on ST last year.

I was hoping Thomas would get some PT at the 4th WR or maybe battle for the 3rd role.

Thomas clearly has good physical skills but with Hixon back, it looks like he became expendable.

tonyt830
03-28-2012, 09:19 PM
a little surprised and a little disappointed, but hey its business.</P>

</P>

He was valuable on ST and I too thought he could contribute more at WR this year, since Manningham was signed by San Fran.</P>

</P>

But time for Jernigan to step up this year. And of course, the Giants may have their eyes on a few WR options somewhere in the draft.</P>

Axels15
03-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Thats actually the only free agent loss I'm disappointed in so far

Flip Empty
03-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Same here. I thought he'd be back.

RoanokeFan
03-28-2012, 09:50 PM
***. I'm getting pissed off. Thomas was great on special teams and can definitely play the #3.

On what do you base his being able to play "#3"?

GmenFan1980
03-28-2012, 10:03 PM
What a shame, we lost a special team player who is once again going to be a back-up receiver and if he is fast enough, will be a gunner for them on ST.

ELIteManning
03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Giants were likely only willing to pay him special team money if they were even trying to bring him back. Bears likely offered him special team/wide receiver money. He was valuable on special teams for us but he isn't irreplaceable.

G.I. Ants
03-28-2012, 10:36 PM
I hope he has a great career. He was big in the postseason for us. I will always remember what he did in SF.

JJC7301
03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Well that stinks.

lawl
03-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Yup, me too

Kase-1
03-28-2012, 10:43 PM
He was a great STer for us but never panned out as a WR and he came into the NFL with a ton of potential and promise.

I hope he has a good career..... Just not against us

yatitle
03-28-2012, 11:18 PM

This just might cost us a playoff spot.

myles2424
03-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Yup, me too
Wow, so after manningham & possibly Tolly/Goff, devin Thomas is the only FA loss you guys are disappointed in so far???? Get real...

rainierjef
03-29-2012, 12:03 AM
<font color="#FF0000">nah guys you were right we don't need a wide receiver at all </font>

Flip Empty
03-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Yup, me too
Wow, so after manningham & possibly Tolly/Goff, devin Thomas is the only FA loss you guys are disappointed in so far???? Get real...
Those other guys' positions are stacked, but there's currently no-one who can do what Thomas did on ST.

myles2424
03-29-2012, 12:18 AM
Yup, me too
Those other guys' positions are stacked, but there's currently no-one who can do what Thomas did on ST. so were stacked at WR & MLB? ......

Flip Empty
03-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Yup, me too
Those other guys' positions are stacked, but there's currently no-one who can do what Thomas did on ST. so were stacked at WR & MLB? ......
Poor choice of words.. I meant there are multiple replacements at those positions, whereas Thomas' departure leaves a gaping hole.

I'm content with who we have at WR and LB, anyway.

myles2424
03-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Yup, me too
Poor choice of words.. I meant there are multiple replacements at those positions, whereas Thomas' departure leaves a gaping hole.

I'm content with who we have at WR and LB, anyway. we've lost 2 wrs & could possibly lose another....I guarantee Reese is anything but content with WR, you can bet on a high WR pick come draft day.....and LB, we literally have no MLB...

Giant stuck in Texas
03-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Thats actually the only free agent loss I'm disappointed in so far^This....^

Key on ST's and a solid #4 wr, maybe even #3.

Flip Empty
03-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Yup, me too

I'm content with who we have at WR and LB, anyway. we've lost 2 wrs & could possibly lose another....I guarantee Reese is anything but content with WR, you can bet on a high WR pick come draft day.....and LB, we literally have no MLB...
Yeah, I won't complain when he does. The talent pools are deep for those positions, so they're easier to fill. There are only so many ST aces to go around though.

Just to clarify, I'm not pushing the panic button over the loss of a special teamer, I'm just surprised is all.

Toadofsteel
03-29-2012, 01:35 AM
MM, BJ, Goff, Devin, Ross, possibly tolly...

Meanwhile the only incoming FA from another team so far is Bennett.

We better get a freaking 1st round comp pick in the 2013 draft for all this crap.

I also hope that, even given JR's history of awesomeness at the draft, that he has the best draft year of his career, and gets us 8 quality players in needed positions with our 8 picks. Otherwise I don't see a repeat happening...

GMENAGAIN
03-29-2012, 06:46 AM
MM, BJ, Goff, Devin, Ross, possibly tolly... Meanwhile the only incoming FA from another team so far is Bennett. We better get a freaking 1st round comp pick in the 2013 draft for all this crap. I also hope that, even given JR's history of awesomeness at the draft, that he has the best draft year of his career, and gets us 8 quality players in needed positions with our 8 picks. Otherwise I don't see a repeat happening...</P>

You sir are not smart</P>

hungrrrry
03-29-2012, 06:50 AM

SOURCE:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-sign-wr-devin-thomas-to-oneyear-deal-20120328,0,2564456.storyunless you mean that the rest of the receivers behind Cruz all suck...Devin Thomas is not a bust! He would have likely won the #3 spot this year. I believe Jernigan has bust written all over him but time will tell. Thomas wasn't given enough opportunity to shine. When he did he didn't look bad. I think we lost a major asset! With Cutler throwing to him you will see what I mean

hungrrrry
03-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Yup, me too
Wow, so after manningham & possibly Tolly/Goff, devin Thomas is the only FA loss you guys are disappointed in so far???? Get real...good point! I like Tollefson and Goff...I am more concerned with Goff because that is an area of need. I am not OK with a 1 year player at MLB. THE IDEA OF boley stepping in is OK but it seems there will be a learning curve. I hate our 4-2-5 base defense. Boley is rangier than Goff and since JG will be coming off an ACL that will make him less rangy. I think we need to bring in a solid FA at that position or draft high for an MLB...which we never do so we will have a bandaid defense again!
Tollefson was awesome as a team player with good talent! I will miss him, though he is no Osi, if he was on the field here and there, I never felt. He would be a liability.
Manningham will bee missed as a #3, but not a star and he wanted to be treated as a star. I think he has great talent but struggles learning plays...compares to a young Amani Toomer.
All three will be missed...Thomas has great potential...won't be "missed" because we didn't see all of what he will bring. I bet he get 65 catches this year if he is used as a #2 or #3 with the bears

lawl
03-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Yup, me too

I wasnt disappointed with Mario because it was expected and if we did resign him it would hurt our chances of signing Cruz and kp next year.

I could care less who plays linebacker for us. we have two 3down guys and another quality guy. That's really more than necessary.

nygsb42champs
03-29-2012, 08:03 AM
He will be missed on ST's. Good luck with the Bears.

JimC
03-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Boy I liked this guy a bunch. In my opinion this was a loss equal to Manningham. Thomas was a very good ST'er. He will definitely be missed.

miked1958
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM
So does this mean Justin Tryon is the new gunner?

Devin had so much team value...gunner, wr, returner. He only got a 1yr deal so I know it's not much. Wondering why the Giants let him go.
Thanks Devin. Without your speed on STs, we don't make it to and win the SB

GameTime
03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
DT has all the physical tools. His issue in the past was work ethic. While he has done very well on STs his lack of production on the receiving game leads me to believe he just doesn't wan't it bad enough. </P>

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 01:55 AM
My sources tell me thatThomas was willing to re-sign with the Giants fora ham on swiss, a large Coke, and a bag of chips.

Reese countered with a 1/2 tuna sandwich, a cup of tomatosoup, and a smallFresca.

Honestly, can't expect Reese to bust the bank.....it's not like Thomas did muchduring the NFCCG.

THE_New_York_Giants
03-30-2012, 02:20 AM
My sources tell me that*Thomas was willing to re-sign with the Giants for*a ham on swiss, a large Coke, and a bag of chips.

Reese countered with a 1/2 tuna sandwich, a cup of tomato*soup, and a small*Fresca.

Honestly, can't expect Reese to bust the bank.....it's not like Thomas did much*during the NFCCG.*

Thomas is David Tyree. Without him no Superbowl, but he was a one game wonder for us in a huge game. If he makes a huge impact on the bears, good, because he wouldn't have had the opportunity here.

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 02:31 AM
My sources tell me thatThomas was willing to re-sign with the Giants fora ham on swiss, a large Coke, and a bag of chips.

Reese countered with a 1/2 tuna sandwich, a cup of tomatosoup, and a smallFresca.

Honestly, can't expect Reese to bust the bank.....it's not like Thomas did muchduring the NFCCG.
Thomas is David Tyree. Without him no Superbowl, but he was a one game wonder for us in a huge game. If he makes a huge impact on the bears, good, because he wouldn't have had the opportunity here.</P>

Manningham is gone, and really, nobody else has put themselves head and shoulders above the pack for that #3 spot.</P>

But I agree, he has more opportunity with the Bears.....and their good special teams just got even better.</P>

GmenFan1980
03-30-2012, 02:34 AM
My sources tell me that*Thomas was willing to re-sign with the Giants for*a ham on swiss, a large Coke, and a bag of chips.

Reese countered with a 1/2 tuna sandwich, a cup of tomato*soup, and a small*Fresca.

Honestly, can't expect Reese to bust the bank.....it's not like Thomas did much*during the NFCCG.*

Thomas is David Tyree. Without him no Superbowl, but he was a one game wonder for us in a huge game. If he makes a huge impact on the bears, good, because he wouldn't have had the opportunity here.

I'll just say it right now. Unless Johnny knox( if thats how you spell his name) is injured and can't start, there is no way Thomas gets that much of a chance if any to shine on the bears

Here is Cutlers receiving line from what I understand- B. Marshall, Forte, Knox, Hester, Bennet, Bush, his TE and then there is Thomas.

Not hating, cause I liked Devin, but he is really just a poor mans Devin Hester and they already have Hester lol.

Regardless Good luck to him and I too hope he makes some splash on Da Bears!

G-Man67
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM
one other thing we have to consider is that we want to create roster spots for drafted players ... i know Devin was huge on STs, but he had lost his KR job and we did resign Hixon, so that's how it goes</P>

good luck to him in Chi town</P>

Toadofsteel
03-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I hope he has a great career. He was big in the postseason for us. I will always remember what he did in SF.

This. People were calling Kyle Williams the goat for that punt bouncing off his knee, but that was early in the game. The turnover in overtime was a FORCED fumble recovered by Devin Thomas.

ryan12
03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
the bears are up to something here cuz they also signed blake constanzo (from Niners) who is a beast on st

GiantLegend
03-31-2012, 04:59 AM
Yup, me too

I wasnt disappointed with Mario because it was expected and if we did resign him it would hurt our chances of signing Cruz and kp next year.

I could care less who plays linebacker for us. we have two 3down guys and another quality guy. That's really more than necessary.

I'd take Mario over Cruz every day of the week. Cruz had one really good year, he was also targeted quite a bit. So that helps. He still made some stupid plays. He almost dropped the TD in the Super Bowl.

Mario was a proven talent, still young, and had an amazing catch Cruz wouldn't have made if he had the chance 10 times.