PDA

View Full Version : Got to hand it to Brandon Jacobs

Odan
03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
He ends up getting the 2 million he wanted for this season, goes to a contender with a great offensive line, he will retain his short yardage/goal line role as the Niners Anthony Dixon proved last season he isn't cut out for that task. He is backing up one of the most fragile running backs in football (Frank Gore) who is turning 29 in May.

Also, his new coach loves to pound the ground game (SF ranked 3rd last season in rushing attempts with 498).

The dude isn't as dumb as some of you think he is. Thanks for the memories big guy.

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
He ends up getting the 2 million he wanted for this season, goes to a contender with a great offensive line, he will retain his short yardage/goal line role as the Niners Anthony Dixon proved last season he isn't cut out for that task. He is backing up one of the most fragile running backs in football (Frank Gore) who is turning 29 in May.

Also, his new coach loves to pound the ground game (SF ranked 3rd last season in rushing attempts with 498).

The dude isn't as dumb as some of you think he is. Thanks for the memories big guy.
</P>

49ers are gunning for the Giants crown, that's for sure.</P>

I trust Coughlin and Marc Ross to do their best to defend the title.</P>

Gimaniac
03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
BJ is never happy being a backup. Hopefully he starts opening his mouth about it, though with that extra 500k, he will be able to afford a faster car.

BlueReign
03-29-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't care what anyone says about the guy, but I love him and hold nothing against him. 50 years from now kids of Giants fans will know who he was and what he did for the Giants.

radar-ray
03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't care what anyone says about the guy, but I love him and hold nothing against him. 50 years from now kids of Giants fans will know who he was and what he did for the Giants.
This!!!

MikeIsaGiant
03-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I love Jacobs.

He isn't dumb enough to think he can get the starter role over Frank Gore, let's be real here.

So all the "jacobs doesn't want to be a backup" is just nonsense.

Morehead State
03-29-2012, 02:24 PM

</P>

</P>

The Niners overachieved this year. They won't be as good this season.</P>

They had their chance and blew it.</P>

Pakman
03-29-2012, 02:47 PM

I love BJ man. As weird it as may seem ...I feel old because he left. Feels like an end of an era for some reason.

Lol I'm only 24 but this just..idk man. Wish he was still here. Probably the one loss in FA as a Giant fan that hurt a little.

TrueBlue@NYC
03-29-2012, 03:03 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

Very possible. Especially when you have a team that lacks an upper tier QB. Seems like alot of times these teams come close one year, add some nice pieces, and you think "wow, they're only going to get better this year!" and somehow they end up failling off. </P>

So they could have a letdown, but they could also be very good assuming Smith keeps playing well. </P>

jjj45
03-29-2012, 03:05 PM

</p>

49ers are gunning for the Giants crown, that's for sure.</p>

I trust Coughlin and Marc Ross to do their best to defend the title.</p>You forgot Jerry Reese.

VegasGmen
03-29-2012, 03:55 PM

I love BJ man. As weird it as may seem ...I feel old because he left. Feels like an end of an era for some reason.
You feel old? My lord what I would give to be 24 again.

Lol I'm only 24 but this just..idk man. Wish he was still here. Probably the one loss in FA as a Giant fan that hurt a little.

buffyblue
03-29-2012, 03:55 PM
I don't know why anyone would think 49ers are in for a fall. They made some great moves this off season and Brandon Jacobs is the latest one.

Smart move by Brandon Jacobs to go to a contender that has a great offensive line and is committed to running the ball. I figured he would either wind up in San Francisco it New England. The guy is a lot smarter than folks give him credit for.

Morehead State
03-29-2012, 03:59 PM
I don't know why anyone would think 49ers are in for a fall. They made some great moves this off season and Brandon Jacobs is the latest one. Smart move by Brandon Jacobs to go to a contender that has a great offensive line and is committed to running the ball. I figured he would either wind up in San Francisco it New England. The guy is a lot smarter than folks give him credit for.</P>

Not a "fall". But I don't see them as good this season.</P>

That Harbaugh style can wear thin after a while. I'm convinced it was his coaching style that kept Peyton from signing.</P>

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM

</P>

You forgot Jerry Reese.
</P>

You mean that guy who says "no" to our free agents?</P>

Uh, yeah, him too, I guess.</P>

EliTE
03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't know why anyone would think 49ers are in for a fall. They made some great moves this off season and Brandon Jacobs is the latest one. Smart move by Brandon Jacobs to go to a contender that has a great offensive line and is committed to running the ball. I figured he would either wind up in San Francisco it New England. The guy is a lot smarter than folks give him credit for.</P>

Not a "fall".* But I don't see them as good this season.</P>

That Harbaugh style can wear thin after a while.* I'm convinced it was his coaching style that kept Peyton from signing.</P>well, they aren't getting a top 2 seed thats for sure. i could see them missing the playoffs, stranger things have happened.

ngirard85'
03-29-2012, 04:07 PM
Granted he improved last year, but at the end of the day, they have Alex Smith at QB, + their schedule last year + the division they're in = possible fluke year?

NYG4ME
03-29-2012, 04:29 PM
I dont feel bad for BJ, He couldve stayed, he wanted more money.. The Giants shouldn't pay him that kind of money HES A BACKUP! Be realistic. We're over the cap as it is. Why give him money we dont have when we all know he's not happy with his role here.

jjj45
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
You mean that guy who says "no" to our free agents?

Uh, yeah, him too, I guess.</p>folks are still sour over JR? tough crowd......

FBomb
03-29-2012, 05:18 PM

folks are still sour over JR? tough crowd......
</P>

I knew it was going to happen, yet it still surprises me. Some people never learn. </P>

jjj45
03-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Uh, yeah, him too, I guess.</p>

</p>

I knew it was going to happen, yet it still surprises me. Some people never learn. </p>What really amazes me is how much more backlash Reese got over TC when early on in the season they were both equally to blame.

Drez
03-29-2012, 05:32 PM

</p>

I trust Coughlin and Marc Ross to do their best to defend the title.</p>You forgot Jerry Reese.

No he didn't. He only gives Reese credit when we don't sign/re-sign guys.

Everything else to him is the coaching staff and Marc Ross. *shakes head*

dave56dj
03-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I have watched through the years as we replaced Tiki, Shockey, Amani, Plax, Strahan, Smith and Boss. I realize we will once again do that with Mario and Brandon.

I did think that Brandon brought a bully style that is important to the game of football. A guy who can bark and then match with a ferocious bite. Call him tip toes all you want - there is not a player in the league that WANTED to see Brandon coming at them with a full head of steam. And more often then not he would lay you out if his shoulders were turned and he was headed north ( i realize he didnt always do this - sometimes due to oline - sometimes cause he bounced outside). That said i think that style will be missed.

Other backs beat you with different styles some more effective then brandon's. And we will find a new guy to do just that - wether its speed (Scott) or quickness and grit (AB) or something totally different in the draft. Still there will always be games you need a bully - We have ours on D and that might be enough. Certainly the offense has become a more pass happy offense then ever before in the NFL and with the Giants. We now have our best QB ever and maybe our best wideouts (still early to tell on that one - but certainly the best duo). I think with brandon gone we dive further into that world and leave the ground and pound to the giants of old - it will return one day - but for now we are winning and thats all that matters.

I will never forget what brandon did to Leron Landry - Charles Woodson and almost any safety or LB who stood in his way. Teams feed off of that - and they will feed off of something new now - maybe a great move by Cruuuz - or an ankle killer from AB - or a sweep left by Scott - who knows - but looking fwd to finding out.

Drez
03-29-2012, 05:36 PM

Uh, yeah, him too, I guess.</p>folks are still sour over JR? tough crowd......

Only the incompetents. People who actually know anything about football (even just a thimble-full) think that Reese is doing as excellent a job as he possibly can.

Drez
03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
I have watched through the years as we replaced Tiki, Shockey, Amani, Plax, Strahan, Smith and Boss. I realize we will once again do that with Mario and Brandon.

I did think that Brandon brought a bully style that is important to the game of football. A guy who can bark and then match with a ferocious bite. Call him tip toes all you want - there is not a player in the league that WANTED to see Brandon coming at them with a full head of steam. And more often then not he would lay you out if his shoulders were turned and he was headed north ( i realize he didnt always do this - sometimes due to oline - sometimes cause he bounced outside). That said i think that style will be missed.

Other backs beat you with different styles some more effective then brandon's. And we will find a new guy to do just that - wether its speed (Scott) or quickness and grit (AB) or something totally different in the draft. Still there will always be games you need a bully - We have ours on D and that might be enough. Certainly the offense has become a more pass happy offense then ever before in the NFL and with the Giants. We now have our best QB ever and maybe our best wideouts (still early to tell on that one - but certainly the best duo). I think with brandon gone we dive further into that world and leave the ground and pound to the giants of old - it will return one day - but for now we are winning and thats all that matters.

I will never forget what brandon did to Leron Landry - Charles Woodson and almost any safety or LB who stood in his way. Teams feed off of that - and they will feed off of something new now - maybe a great move by Cruuuz - or an ankle killer from AB - or a sweep left by Scott - who knows - but looking fwd to finding out.

Well said, Dave.

blueomaha
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM

</p>

I trust Coughlin and Marc Ross to do their best to defend the title.</p>

</p>

The Niners overachieved this year. They won't be as good this season.</p>

They had their chance and blew it.</p>i agree...49ers had their shot, now they're trying to reload...anyway, good luck BJ....

Drez
03-29-2012, 05:53 PM
I dont feel bad for BJ, He couldve stayed, he wanted more money.. The Giants shouldn't pay him that kind of money HES A BACKUP! Be realistic. We're over the cap as it is. Why give him money we dont have when we all know he's not happy with his role here.

Good back up running backs do make $1.5m-$2m a year. He just wanted more than we were willing to give, especially considering we were asking him to take a $3.5m paycut to boot.

Also, he was more than happy in his role here.

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM

</P>

I knew it was going to happen, yet it still surprises me. Some people never learn. </P>

</P>

To repeat.....Uh, yeah, him too, I guess.</P>

</P>

jjj45
03-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I like you JMFP, you are one of the better posters on this board, but your subtle jabs at Reese are quite obvious.

Its been no secret in the past that you have disproved of him. He has just as much to do with the success of this team as does TC and Marc Ross.

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 07:03 PM
I like you JMFP, you are one of the better posters on this board, but your subtle jabs at Reese are quite obvious.

Its been no secret in the past that you have disproved of him. He has just as much to do with the success of this team as does TC and Marc Ross.
</P>

Okay, I'll level with you.</P>

I actually like Reese. I busted on himlast season, and ate crow for it.</P>

This offseason, Manningham, Jacobs, and Ross are gone. And Blackburn and Tollefson could very well be former Giants too.....these guys all played significant roles in winning the SB last year.....just as guys like Boss and Smith played in SB 42.</P>

So, yeah, I'm concerned....but I'll admit half of what I'm doing is just goofing around.</P>

Drez
03-29-2012, 07:13 PM

</p>

Okay, I'll level with you.</p>

I actually like Reese. I busted on himlast season, and ate crow for it.</p>

This offseason, Manningham, Jacobs, and Ross are gone. And Blackburn and Tollefson could very well be former Giants too.....these guys all played significant roles in winning the SB last year.....just as guys like Boss and Smith played in SB 42.</p>

So, yeah, I'm concerned....but I'll admit half of what I'm doing is just goofing around.</p>
Notice how not a single player that you listed is a starter? MM, 3rd WR. BJ, back-up running back. Ross, was 3rd or 4th on the depth chart before injuries. CB, substitute math teacher when we called in November. Tolly, our 4th DE.

All played a role, yes, but not one that cannot be replaced.

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 07:15 PM

</P>

This offseason, Manningham, Jacobs, and Ross are gone. And Blackburn and Tollefson could very well be former Giants too.....these guys all played significant roles in winning the SB last year.....just as guys like Boss and Smith played in SB 42.</P>

So, yeah, I'm concerned....but I'll admit half of what I'm doing is just goofing around.</P>

Notice how not a single player that you listed is a starter? MM, 3rd WR. BJ, back-up running back. Ross, was 3rd or 4th on the depth chart before injuries. CB, substitute math teacher when we called in November. Tolly, our 4th DE.

</P>

This defense was lost without Chase Blackburn. Tollefson was like another starter out there. Ross was the starter....no guarantee T2 will be anywhere close to form.</P>

Drez
03-29-2012, 07:25 PM

</p>

This offseason, Manningham, Jacobs, and Ross are gone. And Blackburn and Tollefson could very well be former Giants too.....these guys all played significant roles in winning the SB last year.....just as guys like Boss and Smith played in SB 42.</p>

So, yeah, I'm concerned....but I'll admit half of what I'm doing is just goofing around.</p>

</p>

This defense was lost without Chase Blackburn. Tollefson was like another starter out there. Ross was the starter....no guarantee T2 will be anywhere close to form.</p>
Blackburn helped, yes, because we had all rookies out there and he knew the system. They're not going to be rookies next season. So, where was Blackburn in November? On his couch. Granted the LB market isn't hot this FA, but has he signed anywhere else yet? Where's all this "interest?" He's a good STer and a solid back up. That's it. I like CB, but he's not a starter in the NFL. Unless you're LBs are both injured, rookies, and not that great to begin with.

Ross was a starter due to attrition at the position, not because he outplayed the competition in camp. He was at least 3rd if not 4th on the depth chart with everyone healthy. He's not worth what he got in Jax.

T2 may not be close to form, but we have Prince who should be much improved this season over last. We also have several other CBs coming back. We will not be any worse off without Ross next season, barring losing another half-dozen CBs.

WTF are you smoking saying that Tolly is like another starter out there. That must be some potent ****? Hook a Blue brother up?

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM

</P>

</P>

This defense was lost without Chase Blackburn. Tollefson was like another starter out there. Ross was the starter....no guarantee T2 will be anywhere close to form.</P>

Blackburn helped, yes, because we had all rookies out there and he knew the system. They're not going to be rookies next season. So, where was Blackburn in November? On his couch. Granted the LB market isn't hot this FA, but has he signed anywhere else yet? Where's all this "interest?" He's a good STer and a solid back up. That's it. I like CB, but he's not a starter in the NFL. Unless you're LBs are both injured, rookies, and not that great to begin with.

Ross was a starter due to attrition at the position, not because he outplayed the competition in camp. He was at least 3rd if not 4th on the depth chart with everyone healthy. He's not worth what he got in Jax.

T2 may not be close to form, but we have Prince who should be much improved this season over last. We also have several other CBs coming back. We will not be any worse off without Ross next season, barring losing another half-dozen CBs.

WTF are you smoking saying that Tolly is like another starter out there. That must be some potent ****? Hook a Blue brother up?
</P>

If you don't think Tollefson can start for another team, you've obviously got your own stash.</P>

gmen46
03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
He ends up getting the 2 million he wanted for this season, goes to a contender with a great* offensive line, he will retain his short yardage/goal line role as the Niners Anthony Dixon proved last season he isn't cut out for that task. He is backing up one of the most fragile running backs in football (Frank Gore) who is turning 29 in May.

</P>

</P>

The Niners overachieved this year.** They won't be as good this season.</P>

Exactly.

Had they landed Peyton, MAYBE there'd be a good chance for them to at least win the NFCC. But they didn't, so they won't.

B&RWarrior
03-29-2012, 08:01 PM
Bottom line is we have too many starters that need to be resigned within the next two years to overpay backups and 3rd stringers. As a GM Reese is concious of who we need to sign this year and in the near future.

After the past 4 years I cannot believe people want to resign Ross. Look at the entire body of work, don't count the rings on his fingers.

Drez
03-29-2012, 08:04 PM

</p>

</p>

This defense was lost without Chase Blackburn. Tollefson was like another starter out there. Ross was the starter....no guarantee T2 will be anywhere close to form.</p>

</p>

If you don't think Tollefson can start for another team, you've obviously got your own stash.</p>
Nevermind. You are definitely smoking the rock.

dave56dj
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Not sure how tolly became the subject but let it be known that he was an awesome 4th rotational D end - with a nice motor and nice ability to get to the Q.

That said he is undersized and often beaten at the point of attack - no matchup against the run. He is a pass rushing 3rd down rotational end. A wonderful luxury - but chances of starting elsewhere are very very limited.

I think Justin Trattou or Adrian Tracy replaces him nicely.

Fans will continue to swoon over Chase - who did such a nice job after being on a couch all year but if you cant see that his main contribution is know how (which can be replaced this year with guys who know the system better) and by the fact that tuck and osi got healthy you just will never see chase as anything but a savior - and oddly enough 32 other teams dont agree.

Ross - Giants fetl T2 was a better replacement and picked him - suppose you could argue the two but thomas has been the better player when healthy.

FIFTY6G-MAN
03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
I love BJ man. As weird it as may seem ...I feel old because he left. Feels like an end of an era for some reason. Lol I'm only 24 but this just..idk man. Wish he was still here. Probably the one loss in FA as a Giant fan that hurt a little.If you feel OLD at 24, I must be Ancient. LMAO!! I am still missing Joe Morris. Back in his day Joe waspound forpound the strongest man in the NFL. All I can say to you is get ready for buying new jerseys every 3-4 years if you wanna remain current with ANY NFL team. The name of the game is money and ME ME ME. </P>

I love Jacobs as much as a man crush allows but he is now gone. So is his team spirit. He may not have the same spring to his step at this point,but with a decent O line I believe that he can roll the clock back and still kick some butt. Not to mention throwing lightning bolts of fire into the bellies of his teammates!!!! He will be sorely missed by me.</P>

Drez
03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Not sure how tolly became the subject but let it be known that he was an awesome 4th rotational D end - with a nice motor and nice ability to get to the Q.

That said he is undersized and often beaten at the point of attack - no matchup against the run. He is a pass rushing 3rd down rotational end. A wonderful luxury - but chances of starting elsewhere are very very limited.

I think Justin Trattou or Adrian Tracy replaces him nicely.

Fans will continue to swoon over Chase - who did such a nice job after being on a couch all year but if you cant see that his main contribution is know how (which can be replaced this year with guys who know the system better) and by the fact that tuck and osi got healthy you just will never see chase as anything but a savior - and oddly enough 32 other teams dont agree.

Ross - Giants fetl T2 was a better replacement and picked him - suppose you could argue the two but thomas has been the better player when healthy.

Again, very well said, Dave. I can't believe I forgot that we were able to stash Tracy on the PS this past season. He looked to have been doing well (or at least as well as can be expected) in preseason this past summer. I really do hope we're able to re-sign Tolly, but if we don't it isn't a severe loss. Reese is good at getting and grooming guys (at most spots, *cough* LB *cough*) before it becomes a glaring need.

JMFP2
03-29-2012, 11:36 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

If you don't think Tollefson can start for another team, you've obviously got your own stash.</P>

</P>

Sure.</P>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/packers-to-host-dave-tollefson/</P>

giantsfan420
03-29-2012, 11:58 PM

</P>

I actually like Reese.* I busted on him*last season, and ate crow for it.</P>

This offseason, Manningham, Jacobs, and Ross are gone.** And Blackburn and Tollefson could very well be former Giants too.....these guys all played significant roles in winning the SB last year.....just as guys like Boss and Smith played in SB 42.</P>

</P>

This defense was lost without Chase Blackburn.* Tollefson was like another starter out there.* Ross was the starter....no guarantee T2 will be anywhere close to form.</P>

</P>

</P>

Sure.</P>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/packers-to-host-dave-tollefson/</P>

that mentions nothing about starting. tolly is a top line depth player, i agree with the poster who doesnt believe he'll be a starter anywhere, just a good role player.

we signed some role players too, does that mean hixon, coe, tryon, and johnson are now our starters??

but id be real happy for him if he gets a starting job. i just have a hard time believing that will be the case

BeatYale
03-30-2012, 12:03 AM
He ends up getting the 2 million he wanted for this season, goes to a contender with a great* offensive line, he will retain his short yardage/goal line role as the Niners Anthony Dixon proved last season he isn't cut out for that task. He is backing up one of the most fragile running backs in football (Frank Gore) who is turning 29 in May.

</P>

</P>

I agree. I was talking to a buddy about this the other day. They were lucky to even make it to the NFC Championship game with that gimmick offense.

NYG4ME
03-30-2012, 12:11 AM

Good back up running backs do make $1.5m-$2m a year. He just wanted more than we were willing to give, especially considering we were asking him to take a $3.5m paycut to boot.

<font size="5">Also, he was more than happy in his role here.</font>

Incorrect.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/28/brandon-jacobs-unhappy-with-role-says-he-wont-re-sign-with-giants/

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 12:45 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Sure.</P>

that mentions nothing about starting. tolly is a top line depth player, i agree with the poster who doesnt believe he'll be a starter anywhere, just a good role player. we signed some role players too, does that mean hixon, coe, tryon, and johnson are now our starters?? but id be real happy for him if he gets a starting job. i just have a hard time believing that will be the case</P>

Tollefson will likely start for the Packers if they sign him.</P>

We'll see.</P>

Drez
03-30-2012, 12:53 AM

Incorrect.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/28/brandon-jacobs-unhappy-with-role-says-he-wont-re-sign-with-giants/

But, again, that isn't the whole story... Of course he wasn't going to be happy getting 9 carries a game (but, I see you had to go all the way back to October to find an article showing any kind of displeasure from BJ). No RB that is in a timeshare would be happy with that. He even admitted it was due to an overall trend towards passing more than it was them not utilizing him in particular. Or did you just gloss over that part thinking it was insignificant? You also don't mention that he missed the two game prior to the date of this article. Or that at the end of it he says that the most important thing is that he's on a team that's winning games... So, was BJ frustrated at the beginning of the year at the lack of carries (mostly due to the overall ineffectiveness of the running game and effectiveness of the passing game)? Yes. Does that mean that he wasn't accepting of his role as the #2 back. No.

Drez
03-30-2012, 01:00 AM

</p>

</p>

</p>

If you don't think Tollefson can start for another team, you've obviously got your own stash.</p>

</p>

Sure.</p>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/packers-to-host-dave-tollefson/</p>

that mentions nothing about starting. tolly is a top line depth player, i agree with the poster who doesnt believe he'll be a starter anywhere, just a good role player. we signed some role players too, does that mean hixon, coe, tryon, and johnson are now our starters?? but id be real happy for him if he gets a starting job. i just have a hard time believing that will be the case</p>

Tollefson will likely start for the Packers if they sign him.</p>

We'll see.</p>
Now you're just being ignorant. The Packers run a 34, and Tolly's undersized as is a 43 DE. He'd be an OLB in a 34, and there's no way he's starting at OLB on the Packers.

*shakes head*

NYG4ME
03-30-2012, 01:20 AM

Incorrect.

But, again, that isn't the whole story... Of course he wasn't going to be happy getting 9 carries a game (but, I see you had to go all the way back to October to find an article showing any kind of displeasure from BJ). No RB that is in a timeshare would be happy with that. He even admitted it was due to an overall trend towards passing more than it was them not utilizing him in particular. Or did you just gloss over that part thinking it was insignificant? You also don't mention that he missed the two game prior to the date of this article. Or that at the end of it he says that the most important thing is that he's on a team that's winning games... So, was BJ frustrated at the beginning of the year at the lack of carries (mostly due to the overall ineffectiveness of the running game and effectiveness of the passing game)? Yes. <font size="5">Does that mean that he wasn't accepting of his role as the #2 back. No.</font>

Ummm... So that means he's happy over that? Clearly he wouldn't be.

Drez
03-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Incorrect.

But, again, that isn't the whole story... Of course he wasn't going to be happy getting 9 carries a game (but, I see you had to go all the way back to October to find an article showing any kind of displeasure from BJ). No RB that is in a timeshare would be happy with that. He even admitted it was due to an overall trend towards passing more than it was them not utilizing him in particular. Or did you just gloss over that part thinking it was insignificant? You also don't mention that he missed the two game prior to the date of this article. Or that at the end of it he says that the most important thing is that he's on a team that's winning games... So, was BJ frustrated at the beginning of the year at the lack of carries (mostly due to the overall ineffectiveness of the running game and effectiveness of the passing game)? Yes. <font size="5">Does that mean that he wasn't accepting of his role as the #2 back. No.</font>

Obviously you aren't adept at American English colloquialisms. More than happy insinuates a state of acceptance and willingness, not necessarily joy, over a set of circumstances. In this case, to say that Jacobs was more than happy in his role is to say that he was content being the #2 back.

However, our running game found itself in a situation this past year where it wasn't performing up to snuff, combined with the passing game performing unbelievably well during a time when the offensive trends dictated passing more in general.

NYG4ME
03-30-2012, 02:08 AM

Incorrect.

Obviously you aren't adept at American English colloquialisms. More than happy insinuates a state of acceptance and willingness, not necessarily joy, over a set of circumstances. In this case, to say that Jacobs was more than happy in his role is to say that he was content being the #2 back.

However, our running game found itself in a situation this past year where it wasn't performing up to snuff, combined with the passing game performing unbelievably well during a time when the offensive trends dictated passing more in general.

Obviously you aren't adept in common sense. Again, read the article. He wasn't happy, obviously he still wasn't, which is why he left. you have no evidence to support your claim, I do. HE LEFT!

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 02:32 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Sure.</P>

that mentions nothing about starting. tolly is a top line depth player, i agree with the poster who doesnt believe he'll be a starter anywhere, just a good role player. we signed some role players too, does that mean hixon, coe, tryon, and johnson are now our starters?? but id be real happy for him if he gets a starting job. i just have a hard time believing that will be the case</P>

We'll see.</P>

Now you're just being ignorant. The Packers run a 34, and Tolly's undersized as is a 43 DE. He'd be an OLB in a 34, and there's no way he's starting at OLB on the Packers.

*shakes head*
</P>

It's my opinion that Tollefson is talented enough to start in the NFL. Not sure why that's such an amazing statement. I've seen enough from him to believe the only reason he's not a starter with the Giants is the amount of depth in front of him. And, he started 2 games last season.</P>

In today's game, defensive rotations are commonplace. It's to the point where the difference between a starter and a reserve can be a handful of plays.</P>

G-Men Surg.
03-30-2012, 02:46 AM

</P>

</P>

This is the year they have to prove they are not a fluke. Its easy when the schedule isn't the hardest. Lets see how they fare with a 1st place kind of schedule.

Drez
03-30-2012, 03:03 AM

Incorrect.

Obviously you aren't adept in common sense. Again, read the article. He wasn't happy, obviously he still wasn't, which is why he left. you have no evidence to support your claim, I do. HE LEFT!

He didn't leave. He was cut due to his salary and bonuses totaling more than $5m+ this year. He was not re-signed after being cut because he did not want to take our offer of $1.5m.

The displeasure showed in that article (in October, after being frustrated with an injury that kept him sidelined for 2 weeks) was more the result more of us not running the ball a lot than it was his role as a #2 RB. If we were running the ball 35 times a game and he was getting 13-16 carries there wouldn't have been anything said. But, alas, we weren't running well, but we were passing well, so overall running plays were down. FFS, before the Buffalo game Bradshaw hadn't carried the ball more than 15 times a game but once, and that was only 17 carries. Obviously that is too difficult a concept for you to grasp. Jacobs was fine being a #2 and Jacobs was not happy getting 8 rushes a game are two distinctly different things. Forgive me for thinking that you could understand that difference.

If Jacobs wasn't content being a 2, then why did he renegotiate/restructure last season to keep AB? You know, the guy ahead of him on the depth chart? If he wasn't happy being a 2, then why the **** did he sign in SF, because he sure as **** isn't going to start ahead of Gore? Oh, that's right. SF runs more than 30 other teams in the NFL. That means that even though he's going to be a 2, he's still expecting to get the ball 15 times a game. How stupid of me.

Again. Jacobs didn't leave. We cut him. He signed in SF for I'm sure many reasons, not insignificantly the probability of getting more carries a game because SF runs the ball more than we do (I'm sure the fact that we cut him has a little to do with it, too), not because he wasn't happy being a #2.

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Great move by the 49ers. Jacobs is going to be a beast again.</P>

That will be $500k that the Giants wished they'd spent.</P>

Drez
03-30-2012, 03:10 AM

</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

Sure.</p>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/packers-to-host-dave-tollefson/</p>

that mentions nothing about starting. tolly is a top line depth player, i agree with the poster who doesnt believe he'll be a starter anywhere, just a good role player. we signed some role players too, does that mean hixon, coe, tryon, and johnson are now our starters?? but id be real happy for him if he gets a starting job. i just have a hard time believing that will be the case</p>

Tollefson will likely start for the Packers if they sign him.</p>

We'll see.</p>

*shakes head*
</p>

It's my opinion that Tollefson is talented enough to start in the NFL. Not sure why that's such an amazing statement. I've seen enough from him to believe the only reason he's not a starter with the Giants is the amount of depth in front of him. And, he started 2 games last season.</p>

In today's game, defensive rotations are commonplace. It's to the point where the difference between a starter and a reserve can be a handful of plays.</p>
It's an amazing statement because it's ridiculous. You have to be ignorant about football to think that Tolly is a starter on any team that actually has starting talent at DE. He started 2 games when both Tuck and Osi were hurt. At that point in time either one of us were a phone call away from starting at DE for the Giants. I fail to see your point there.

Yes, rotations are commonplace, but Tolly still isn't a starter in a rotation or much past a role player in a rotation, either. Sure, on a lot of teams he'd be the 3rd DE, but he isn't a 30-40 snap a game/wk player.

Drez
03-30-2012, 03:11 AM
Great move by the 49ers. Jacobs is going to be a beast again.</p>

That will be $500k that the Giants wished they'd spent.</p>
We'll see if that 600 yards he brings to the table is going to be worth it. I know I love to overpay for over 30yr old RBs.

TheEnigma
03-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Great move by the 49ers.* Jacobs is going to be a beast again.</P>

That will be $500k that the Giants wished they'd spent.</P>You really take veterans leaving hard, don't you?

Drez
03-30-2012, 03:15 AM
Great move by the 49ers. Jacobs is going to be a beast again.</p>

That will be $500k that the Giants wished they'd spent.</p>You really take veterans leaving hard, don't you?
I'm surprised he isn't crying that we haven't re-signed Hampton yet.

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 03:19 AM

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

Sure.</P>

We'll see.</P>

*shakes head*
</P>

It's my opinion that Tollefson is talented enough to start in the NFL. Not sure why that's such an amazing statement. I've seen enough from him to believe the only reason he's not a starter with the Giants is the amount of depth in front of him. And, he started 2 games last season.</P>

In today's game, defensive rotations are commonplace. It's to the point where the difference between a starter and a reserve can be a handful of plays.</P>

It's an amazing statement because it's ridiculous. You have to be ignorant about football to think that Tolly is a starter on any team that actually has starting talent at DE. He started 2 games when both Tuck and Osi were hurt. At that point in time either one of us were a phone call away from starting at DE for the Giants. I fail to see your point there.

Yes, rotations are commonplace, but Tolly still isn't a starter in a rotation or much past a role player in a rotation, either. Sure, on a lot of teams he'd be the 3rd DE, but he isn't a 30-40 snap a game/wk player.
</P>

You can call me ignorant....and I could respond with an insult of my own....let's try to keep this classy.</P>

As far as my comments, name some teams that have the depth at the defensive line that the Giants have?</P>

I've watched enough football torecognize a hard working player....Tollefson has the talent and the motor to start on a team with less talent than the Giants. Again, he started 2 games, and has played well. He's certainly earned the opportunity for more playing time.</P>

There's a difference between Pro-Bowlers like Osi, Tuck, JPP and guys like Tollefson. But, yeah, I think he's capable of starting somewhere. You don't need to be a Pro-Bowler to earn a starting spot.</P>

If you disagree, you disagree....I certainly won't label you as ignorant, though.</P>

TheEnigma
03-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Great move by the 49ers.* Jacobs is going to be a beast again.</p>

That will be $500k that the Giants wished they'd spent.</p>You really take veterans leaving hard, don't you?
Every player has that moment in their career when the GM has to decide if he still can make a contribution to the team and is worth spending valuable cap room on. No one is immune to it and even Eli himself will face this in time. Going by our recent track record in the last 5 or so years, he's earned my trust on those calls.

JMFP2
03-30-2012, 03:28 AM
Great move by the 49ers. Jacobs is going to be a beast again.</P>

That will be $500k that the Giants wished they'd spent.</P>

You really take veterans leaving hard, don't you?
Every player has that moment in their career when the GM has to decide if he still can make a contribution to the team and is worth spending valuable cap room on. No one is immune to it and even Eli himself will face this in time. Going by our recent track record in the last 5 or so years, he's earned my trust on those calls.</P>

I think Jacobs has alot left in the tank.....we'll find out next season if the had 500k left.</P>

gumby742
03-30-2012, 09:57 AM
Weren't you complaining about why we have salary cap issues also? Yet, you want to resign everyone. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

GMENAGAIN
03-30-2012, 10:39 AM

</P>

He is not getting $2M guaranteed. </P>

GIANTfaninFL
03-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Again this season, i think Reese has let the right guys go.

Just like Suebert and O'hara last year, it might take some time to adjust, but we'll be better for it

Redeyejedi
03-30-2012, 10:58 AM

</P>

</P>

They had their chance and blew it.</P>Not in that division and not with that defense.Rookie Aldon Smith was possibly the best pure pass rusher in the NFL last year. They have the best inside LB combo in the NFL. Justin Smith is a dominate force. Mario Manningham is the exact receiver that the 49ers needed to open the underneath up for Crabtree. 49ers win the west with ease. Who is beating them the Rams?Cardinals?Seahawkss?. The biggest knock is their QB and none of those teams have 1 either

Drez
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
You can call me ignorant....and I could respond with an insult of my own....let's try to keep this classy.</p>

As far as my comments, name some teams that have the depth at the defensive line that the Giants have?</p>

I've watched enough football torecognize a hard working player....Tollefson has the talent and the motor to start on a team with less talent than the Giants. Again, he started 2 games, and has played well. He's certainly earned the opportunity for more playing time.</p>

There's a difference between Pro-Bowlers like Osi, Tuck, JPP and guys like Tollefson. But, yeah, I think he's capable of starting somewhere. You don't need to be a Pro-Bowler to earn a starting spot.</p>

If you disagree, you disagree....I certainly won't label you as ignorant, though.</p>
Saying you're ignorant if you believe Tolly is a starter on another team isn't an insult, it's a statement of fact. Tollefson is not an NFL starter without mitigating circumstances, as was the case with his two starts this year, us having 2 DEs injured.

If Tollefson had the talent and motor to be a starter on another team, he'd be a starter on another team by now or not continually buried on the depth chart here. Also remember, we didn't resign him right away last offseason. He drew zero interest.

Want to know the difference between guys like Tuck, Osi, JPP and Tolly.... The first 3 are NFL starters and Tolly is not.

GameTime
03-30-2012, 11:35 AM

</P>

</P>

Not in that division and not with that defense.Rookie Aldon Smith was possibly the best pure pass rusher in the NFL last year. They have the best inside LB combo in the NFL. Justin Smith is a dominate force. Mario Manningham is the exact receiver that the 49ers needed to open the underneath up for Crabtree. 49ers win the west with ease. Who is beating them the Rams?Cardinals?Seahawkss?. The biggest knock is their QB and none of those teams have 1 either</P>

I agree....I dont see where the Niners were a one year wonder at all. They have a great core on D and Alex Smith wasnt all that bad last season. The playoffs were rough for him but over all the kid did pretty well. They will have a nother very good season IMO. </P>

BParcells777
03-30-2012, 11:45 AM

</p>

</p>

They had their chance and blew it.</p>

This is such a classic example of wishful thinking it should be an example in Wikopedia

yoeddy
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM

</p>

</p>

The Niners overachieved this year.** They won't be as good this season.</p>

This is such a classic example of wishful thinking it should be an example in Wikopedia

I can't see the 9ers missing the playoffs given the NFC West...and as we all know, once you're in, all it takes is a hot streak, and the 9ers have all the pieces to make that run.

Regarding BJ and his role as a backup...he'll definitely take a back seat to Gore, but he'll be the clear #2 there. With the Giants, his role was mixed up with 2 other HBs instead of just 1...

Morehead State
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

There is a slight "Rex Ryan" quality to Jim Harbaugh. I can see a locker room in disarray with a little adversity.</P>

</P>

GameTime
03-30-2012, 12:55 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

There is a slight "Rex Ryan" quality to Jim Harbaugh. I can see a locker room in disarray with a little adversity.</P>

</P>

</P>

as far as a "players" type coach I agree. But from a discipline and control standpoint. Harbaugh has it all over Rex in that dept. Harbaugh's locker room is his locker room. Also I think he preaches the "team" aspect way better and the Niners are a "team" to a much greaterdegree then the Jets are. </P>

</P>

Toadofsteel
03-30-2012, 01:01 PM

</P>

</P>

</P>

There is a slight "Rex Ryan" quality to Jim Harbaugh.* I can see a locker room in disarray with a little adversity.</P>

*</P>

</P>

as far as a "players" type coach I agree. But from a discipline and control standpoint. Harbaugh has it all over Rex in that dept. Harbaugh's locker room is his locker room. Also I think he preaches the "team" aspect way better and the Niners are a "team" to a much greater*degree then the Jets are. </P>

*</P>

In other words, Harbaugh is a blend of TC and Rex. The emotional nature of rex, combined with coughlin's disciplinarian "team-first" ways. In many ways he's a better fit for BJ than coughlin ever was.

All that said, we need a new emotional leader on offense. Tuck can fire up the defense for sure, but who would fire up the offense? Cruz?

bigblue58
03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I don't know why anyone would think 49ers are in for a fall. They made some great moves this off season and Brandon Jacobs is the latest one.

Smart move by Brandon Jacobs to go to a contender that has a great offensive line and is committed to running the ball. I figured he would either wind up in San Francisco it New England. The guy is a lot smarter than folks give him credit for.

How is he smart? He's a RB with diminished skills, who signed an incentive laden contract to be the number 3 back on the SF depth chart!
They'll use him in short yardage situations only, and then bench him when the 49ers see that he can't pick up a lousy yard for them either!
He'll end up never seeing the field.......he'll end up not playing enough to have ANY of those incentives kick in, and he'll end up only making what the Giants offered him anyway!

BlueSanta
03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
There is a huge misnomer in this thread.

1st off. Jacobs didn't ask the Giants for 2 mil for next year. He asked for a multi-year deal at 2 mil per year.

He did not get that elsewhere. He got a 1 year 2 mil deal in SF.

From what I read, the Giants were offering him a 3 year deal.

So 1 cannot say "he got what he wanted elsewhere" as many here suggest.

I still wish the guy well, I just wanted to correct that 1 line of thinking.

chasjay
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM

</p>

</p>

I don't expect the Niners defense to to fall off much, if at all. But if the Seahawks improve their defense and Matt Flynn pans out as well as some people speculate he will, I think the Niners and S'hawks will have a close battle for the division. If SF doesn't get a little more octane from their offense, I can see Seattle winning that division.

Disclaimer: I am rarely correct on projections like this.

MattMeyerBud
03-30-2012, 01:25 PM

i don't think hes dumb, i am happy for him actually..

I just don't think we could of or should of swung that money for him

but also keep in mind, i'm not sure there were many other suitors for him.

Mohann
03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
The doubt about the Niners is, how good are they without a +28 turnover differential? That's not sustainable. If they're +8 this year, that's still good, but it's 20 less in 16 games, 1.25 a game. That's gotta hurt your won loss record. Oh yeah, and now they should have a tougher schedule. They've got good players, but so do a lot of teams.

GMENAGAIN
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
There is a huge misnomer in this thread.

1st off. Jacobs didn't ask the Giants for 2 mil for next year. He asked for a multi-year deal at 2 mil per year.

He did not get that elsewhere. He got a 1 year 2 mil deal in SF.

From what I read, the Giants were offering him a 3 year deal.

So 1 cannot say "he got what he wanted elsewhere" as many here suggest.

I still wish the guy well, I just wanted to correct that 1 line of thinking.

</P>

Plus the Niners deal is apparently not for $2M guaranteed . . . reports were that the deal gave him a "chance" to earn up to $2M . . . . </P>

GameTime
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I don't know why anyone would think 49ers are in for a fall. They made some great moves this off season and Brandon Jacobs is the latest one. Smart move by Brandon Jacobs to go to a contender that has a great offensive line and is committed to running the ball. I figured he would either wind up in San Francisco it New England. The guy is a lot smarter than folks give him credit for. How is he smart? He's a RB with diminished skills, who signed an incentive laden contract to be the number 3 back on the SF depth chart! They'll use him in short yardage situations only, and then bench him when the 49ers see that he can't pick up a lousy yard for them either! He'll end up never seeing the field.......he'll end up not playing enough to have ANY of those incentives kick in, and he'll end up only making what the Giants offered him anyway!</P>

what else does your crystal ball tell you???......[;)]</P>

</P>

</P>

w_mann5
04-03-2012, 12:40 AM
These days you need two solid running backs and the Giants are extremely fortunate to have both Jacobs and Bradshaw. Jacobs shouldn't want to carry the load. Sharing carries lengthens careers, we all know that.