PDA

View Full Version : Lavonte David

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Why don't more people talk about this kid!? I've been watching tape and the guy is a phenomenal Athlete at Linebacker. The only problem is that he's a little light but the guy is rocked up.

heavyhitter
03-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Why don't more people talk about this kid!? I've been watching tape and the guy is a phenomenal Athlete at Linebacker. The only problem is that he's a little light but the guy is rocked up.<font size="2">Not sure where you've been but Lavonte David has gotten plenty of talk in these draft threads. I like this guy a lot and think he could/should be drawing interest from the Giants. I don't see hardly any holes in his game. I think the main knock on him is his size and where does he play on the field. I know he's a projected weakside LB, but I think he could convert over and play safety at the next level. </font>

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Why don't more people talk about this kid!? I've been watching tape and the guy is a phenomenal Athlete at Linebacker. The only problem is that he's a little light but the guy is rocked up.<font size="2">Not sure where you've been but Lavonte David has gotten plenty of talk in these draft threads. I like this guy a lot and think he could/should be drawing interest from the Giants. I don't see hardly any holes in his game. I think the main knock on him is his size and where does he play on the field. I know he's a projected weakside LB, but I think he could convert over and play safety at the next level. </font>
he has the size/ speed to play the linebacker pseudo-safety-role that Fewell loves

heavyhitter
03-30-2012, 09:16 PM
he has the size/ speed to play the linebacker pseudo-safety-role that Fewell loves<font size="2">He's projected to go somewhere in the 2nd round though. You think he'll still be on the board at 64?</font>

heavyhitter
03-30-2012, 09:18 PM
<h3><font size="3">NFL Combine 2012 Risers: Lavonte David (http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/3/1/2835728/nfl-combine-2012-risers-lavonte-david)</font></h3>

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 09:25 PM
No way in hell. we might honestly HAVE TO take him at 32

heavyhitter
03-30-2012, 09:35 PM
No way in hell. we might honestly HAVE TO take him at 32<font size="2">You're probably right, he'll be off the board at 64.</font>

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
No way in hell. we might honestly HAVE TO take him at 32<font size="2">You're probably right, he'll be off the board at 64.</font>

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
In McShay's latest mock he has us taking him at 32.

heavyhitter
03-30-2012, 10:00 PM
In McShay's latest mock he has us taking him at 32.<font size="2">May be a slight reach, but not by much. Can't say I'm surprised though</font>

myles2424
03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Being that he's like 6'1 I dnt think 235 is too light

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
It is the biggest knock against him. he is as good a tackler and as instinctual as Kuechly, As fast as Kendricks, and has the coverage ability of Harrison smith.

Captain Chaos
03-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Being that he's like 6'1 I dnt think 235 is too light</P>

</P>

Agree, I think he will get lost amongst the big men, besides we already have two "light" by LB standards guys now. If you are going to pick someone take a look at the kid from West Virginia, looks like he might be a little closer to what we want.</P>

XxBigWhitxX
03-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Being that he's like 6'1 I dnt think 235 is too light</P>

*</P>

Agree, I think he will get lost amongst the big men, besides we already have two "light" by LB standards guys now.* If you are going to pick someone take a look at the kid from West Virginia, looks like he might be a little closer to what we want.</P>If your talking about Bruce Irving the guy is a DE/34OLB. he has no value as a LB in a 4-3.

michaelkhan3
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Being that he's like 6'1 I dnt think 235 is too light</p>

</p>

Agree, I think he will get lost amongst the big men, besides we already have two "light" by LB standards guys now. If you are going to pick someone take a look at the kid from West Virginia, looks like he might be a little closer to what we want.</p>If your talking about Bruce Irving the guy is a DE/34OLB. he has no value as a LB in a 4-3.

He is probably gonna be a 3-4 OLB maybe a 4-3 OLB I think he is too small to be a DE for anyone but the eagles

Neverend
03-31-2012, 10:35 AM
I've been a big fan of lavonte david's for months now

The reason why he doesn't get a lot of talk on here is because people here believe the giants don't need an OLB, because obviously david isn't an ILB. Yet somehow so many people are convinced the giants "need" an OT

But I honestly believe if he's the BPA and makes it to 64 (As undersized players tend to fall), the giants will pick him. David has the rare combination of instincts + athleticism that you see in all the great linebackers in our league and in nfl history. Just doesn't have the bulk to be considered a 1st round prospect, unfortunately (despite the fact that he is usually excellent at disengaging/slipping blockers and isnt any worse than kuechly in that area)

Neverend
03-31-2012, 10:37 AM
he has the size/ speed to play the linebacker pseudo-safety-role that Fewell loves

The thing that impresses me most about David is the leverage and instincts he shows in coverage. Stays low and plays with great route recognition. Great speed as well. He covered those Iowa spread receivers very well.

wideright91
04-01-2012, 06:26 AM
He's one of my favorite players in this year's draft. TOUGH, fast kid, vicious tackler, good in coverage. Reminds me of London Fletcher.

wideright91
04-01-2012, 06:27 AM
He's one of my favorite players in this year's draft. TOUGH, fast kid,
vicious tackler, good in coverage. Reminds me of London Fletcher.

michaelkhan3
04-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I read in some website can't remember where that the Giants may move Boley inside to MLB then this guy could come in and start at WOLB but I'm not sure if I would be happy with Boley at MLB

Kase-1
04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
NFL scouts aren't sure whether to play him at linebacker or strong
safety. But somebody will draft him, put him on the field somewhere and
he will do what he has always done -- tackle people. He worked hard to
get this far, so being told he is too small won't phase him.

</p>He has pass coverage and ball reaction
instincts to be an excellent nickel linebacker.

Tough player with excellent instincts and quick reaction time,
involves himself in many run and pass plays all over the field.
Occasionally guesses, flying into holes instead of finding the ball then
attacking it and leaving his area open to receivers and running lanes.

Run defense: Plays mostly in the box, flies through creases to
wrap up the legs of backs trying to find a hole or attempting to get to
the sideline. Despite his lack of size, attacks oncoming linemen with a
punch or stiff-arm into their chest and makes tackles in the box with
blockers on his back. Gives and gets the worst of collisions inside.

</p>

Pass defense: Strong in coverage, often used as the only
linebacker on the field against spread defenses. Possesses the quickness
to stay with running backs on wheel routes or trail across the middle.
Stays with underneath routes while in zone, able to break up passes in
front of receivers with front hand without interfering. Gives up size to
most NFL-caliber tight ends and better backs separate during routes
with length and strength. Bites on aggressive arrow routes, loses his
balance when trying to change directions at times.

</p>Tackling: Hustling chase tackler who hits the thighs and wraps up
legs very effectively. Tries to strip the ball when tackle is secured,
has good success even against tight ends. Bigger ballcarriers can
stiff-arm him in the open field because of his lack of size and length,
but it does not happen too often

from cbssports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1769263/lavonte-david)

Kase-1
04-03-2012, 04:02 PM
He has enormous tackle production throughout his two years
at Nebraska, posting over 260 tackles in his short time there. Instincts
are the key to his game, as he always seems to be in the middle of
action whether rushing the passer or covering tight ends. Lavonte will
need to stay off blocks at the next level and either gain strength to
shed linemen or continue to play instinctually to stay free entirely.
His athletic ability allows him to play loose and fly around, and he
should go in the late first round to a team who loves undersized,
athletic linebackers.

<section>
<h3>Analysis</h3>

<article>
<h4>Strengths</h4> Lavonte has speed that is evident from the
second the play starts. He is an instinctive player who is able to read
offensive lines and trigger to get to the spot he needs to be. He
understands angles and leveraging himself when taking on blocks, which
allow him to overcome his size deficiency. His footwork is fluid in
transition and when moving laterally, he routinely fits up against
running backs in the hole and stonewalls them at the point. He can
pursue against the run to the outside and use his instincts to meet
players where they ultimately will be, and rarely whiffs on tackles. He
can cover tight ends close in man and works well in zone coverage as he
has natural, fluid hips to turn and pass set.
</article>

<article>
<h4>Weaknesses</h4> David is undersized, and he can struggle at
times when lineman get their hands on him on run plays. If he is free he
hits the gap hard, but once engaged he attempts to use his strong hands
to fight away. He can cover in the long-term against tight ends but can
also struggle in man against them at the line of scrimmage if they
overpower him initially. Speed and savvy can often overshadow these size
and strength hitches in Lavonte's game, but they could be exposed more
at the next level.
<a href="http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lavonte-david?id=2532828">
from nfl.com/combine</a>
</article>

</section>

Kruunch
04-03-2012, 04:06 PM

The reason why he doesn't get a lot of talk on here is because people here believe the giants don't need an OLB, because obviously david isn't an ILB. Yet somehow so many people are convinced the giants "need" an OT

But I honestly believe if he's the BPA and makes it to 64 (As undersized players tend to fall), the giants will pick him. David has the rare combination of instincts + athleticism that you see in all the great linebackers in our league and in nfl history. Just doesn't have the bulk to be considered a 1st round prospect, unfortunately (despite the fact that he is usually excellent at disengaging/slipping blockers and isnt any worse than kuechly in that area)

The biggest problem with Lavonte David is we don't have a place for him. He's a little too small for a SAM or MLB and tends to get engulfed by blockers when he's played at those spots.

His best work is at the WILL position (which he is excellent at) and we already have Boley and JWIll at that spot.

Not a whole lot of room on his frame to gain weight either. He's listed as 6'1, 233 but he's more like 6'0 225 (6'0.5 I believe is his actual).

I could very easily see this guy as being the Eagles' second round pick unfortunately. He's the exact type of LBer they like.

Kruunch
04-03-2012, 04:07 PM
I read in some website can't remember where that the Giants may move Boley inside to MLB then this guy could come in and start at WOLB but I'm not sure if I would be happy with Boley at MLB

Start over JWill?

Kase-1
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM

The biggest problem with Lavonte David is we don't have a place for him. He's a little too small for a SAM or MLB and tends to get engulfed by blockers when he's played at those spots.

His best work is at the WILL position (which he is excellent at) and we already have Boley and JWIll at that spot.

Not a whole lot of room on his frame to gain weight either. He's listed as 6'1, 233 but he's more like 6'0 225 (6'0.5 I believe is his actual).

I could very easily see this guy as being the Eagles' second round pick unfortunately. He's the exact type of LBer they like.MAybe as the 3rd safety taking over for Deion Grant??

Kruunch
04-03-2012, 04:20 PM

I could very easily see this guy as being the Eagles' second round pick unfortunately. He's the exact type of LBer they like.MAybe as the 3rd safety taking over for Deion Grant??

A Nickel package with 3 LBers in a 4-3 C2 scheme is called a base defense hehe.

He's good in coverage but not THAT good.

gmen0820
04-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Sideline to sideline range, kind of small -- but physical. I like Mychal Kendricks more though, he can play inside and we can just keep Boley outside.