PDA

View Full Version : Reese is the man!

B&RWarrior
03-30-2012, 09:36 PM
As a GM you know your doing a good job when the only thing to complain about are unsigned special teams players, back up LBs, RBs, and 3rd string CBs. I see this scene playing out in my head all the time...

Out of Touch Fan: Reese why did you let Jacobs go? Why'd you let Ross go? Why haven't you signed Blackburn? Your making a mistake.

Reese: I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very championship that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. DISMISSED!

Dirt66
03-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Some fans can't handle the truth!

dave56dj
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
I didn't realize it until this wonderful post - but A Few Good Men says it perfectly - now if we can just keep reese away from ordering code reds - which is probably the equivalent to bounties.

Cause we all know Lt. Caffey had the last laugh.

miken609
03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
see the sig

T-Murda84
03-31-2012, 07:29 AM
lol sure...im glad we are winning the championships now before Reese drives this franchise down to the ground after the Eli Manning Era. Eli Manning is the only QB I know who can win when a team cuts his 100 reception slot receiver, gives him two undrafted free agents as his starting receiver and tight end, and a makeshift line who couldnt block if their life depended on it, and a running game thats non existant. Yet we are still in cap hell. Defensively JPP is a nice pickup...but for people to call him the next Strahan is ridiculous. Strahan commanded triple teams...Thanks to Ernie Acsori's philosophy and great draft picks Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck. Acsori drafted Kiwi as well, but Reese managed to ruin his career playing him at linebacker. Nice one Reese.

We call Reese a draft expert but where is Aaron Ross, Steve Smith and Kevin Boss now? Bradshaw can not even walk without a limp and Ramses Barden was the next Plaxico Burress lol. Give me a break. The only thing Reese managed to do right...was keep the coaching staff together which made the franchise QB feel comfortable.

Coach Carter
03-31-2012, 08:37 AM
lol sure...im glad we are winning the championships now before Reese drives this franchise down to the ground after the Eli Manning Era. Eli Manning is the only QB I know who can win when a team cuts his 100 reception slot receiver, gives him two undrafted free agents as his starting receiver and tight end, and a makeshift line who couldnt block if their life depended on it, and a running game thats non existant. Yet we are still in cap hell. Defensively JPP is a nice pickup...but for people to call him the next Strahan is ridiculous. Strahan commanded triple teams...Thanks to Ernie Acsori's philosophy and great draft picks Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck. Acsori drafted Kiwi as well, but Reese managed to ruin his career playing him at linebacker. Nice one Reese.

We call Reese a draft expert but where is Aaron Ross, Steve Smith and Kevin Boss now? Bradshaw can not even walk without a limp and Ramses Barden was the next Plaxico Burress lol. Give me a break. The only thing Reese managed to do right...was keep the coaching staff together which made the franchise QB feel comfortable.

At first I though your comments were racially motivated, but I have read some of your other posts and I am certain you are just r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d.

GMENAGAIN
03-31-2012, 08:48 AM
lol sure...im glad we are winning the championships now before Reese drives this franchise down to the ground after the Eli Manning Era. Eli Manning is the only QB I know who can win when a team cuts his 100 reception slot receiver, gives him two undrafted free agents as his starting receiver and tight end, and a makeshift line who couldnt block if their life depended on it, and a running game thats non existant. Yet we are still in cap hell. Defensively JPP is a nice pickup...but for people to call him the next Strahan is ridiculous. Strahan commanded triple teams...Thanks to Ernie Acsori's philosophy and great draft picks Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck. Acsori drafted Kiwi as well, but Reese managed to ruin his career playing him at linebacker. Nice one Reese. We call Reese a draft expert but where is Aaron Ross, Steve Smith and Kevin Boss now? Bradshaw can not even walk without a limp and Ramses Barden was the next Plaxico Burress lol. Give me a break. The only thing Reese managed to do right...was keep the coaching staff together which made the franchise QB feel comfortable.</P>

Welcome back . . . . your idiocy was missed</P>

GameTime
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
lol sure...im glad we are winning the championships now before Reese drives this franchise down to the ground after the Eli Manning Era. Eli Manning is the only QB I know who can win when a team cuts his 100 reception slot receiver, gives him two undrafted free agents as his starting receiver and tight end, and a makeshift line who couldnt block if their life depended on it, and a running game thats non existant. Yet we are still in cap hell. Defensively JPP is a nice pickup...but for people to call him the next Strahan is ridiculous. Strahan commanded triple teams...Thanks to Ernie Acsori's philosophy and great draft picks Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck. Acsori drafted Kiwi as well, but Reese managed to ruin his career playing him at linebacker. Nice one Reese. We call Reese a draft expert but where is Aaron Ross, Steve Smith and Kevin Boss now? Bradshaw can not even walk without a limp and Ramses Barden was the next Plaxico Burress lol. Give me a break. The only thing Reese managed to do right...was keep the coaching staff together which made the franchise QB feel comfortable.</P>

wow...</P>

SS...hurt and couldnt play AT ALL. The Giants med staff was 100% correct</P>

Ballard...had a veyr good year</P>

Cruz.....nuff said</P>

Was Strahan getting triple teamed in his first two seasons as a starter?? NO HE WASNT!!</P>

Ross..... a good player who is an FA not worth to the Giants what he got from another team. Boss...was and is one good hit from multiple games on the sid elines as he proved in oakland. BTW....he is out of Oakland now too. SS...see above. </P>

Hmm.....make the franchise QB feel comfortable and keep the coaching staff in tact.</P>

Do you know anything about football????</P>

</P>

FBomb
03-31-2012, 05:57 PM

I forget....have you ever posted ANYTHING that wasn't totally stupid?</P>

jomo
03-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Some fans can't handle the truth!If we are not changing, we are moving backward in today's NFL.......and EVERY signing or re-signing needs to be viewed in terms of its cap implications. Some people simply need to go if we are going to legitimately pursue a championship each year. JR understands that perfectly.

Harlem2va
03-31-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm not going to call you an idiot or say that your comments are stupid; but I think you might want to research Reese before you make comments without evidence to back them up. When Ernie Acorsi was the GM, our lead scout was Reese so he has been involved in bringing Giants players in for the last 10 or 15 years!!

Second look at the cap number 120 million for 53 players, you can't have a pro-bowler at every position; as players perform well for us other teams see that and will play a little more for their service than us.

I believe we are in good hands with Reese, but 2 superbowls in 4 years haven't won u over, then may I make a suggestion - find another team to support!!!

FBomb
03-31-2012, 09:51 PM
It's ok...you can say it....he knows.

bigblue5611
03-31-2012, 11:06 PM
Mr Jerry Reese is awesum dude!

buddy33
03-31-2012, 11:21 PM
He is doing a great job. Don't see how anyone could disagree.

T-Murda84
04-02-2012, 08:39 PM
there is no need to bad mouth me. Im a Giants fan and i have the right to post my opinions about
the organization. My comments about Reese is not racially motivated....im a black man as well. Am I wrong for criticizing Reese because he left our offense with 2 undrafted free agents in a complicated offense with option routes. Luckily it worked out because our offensive line was a hot mess because of Reese. Can some1 please tell me why im catching so much heat for this?

T-Murda84
04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm not going to call you an idiot or say that your comments are stupid; but I think you might want to research Reese before you make comments without evidence to back them up. When Ernie Acorsi was the GM, our lead scout was Reese so he has been involved in bringing Giants players in for the last 10 or 15 years!!

Second look at the cap number 120 million for 53 players, you can't have a pro-bowler at every position; as players perform well for us other teams see that and will play a little more for their service than us.

I believe we are in good hands with Reese, but 2 superbowls in 4 years haven't won u over, then may I make a suggestion - find another team to support!!!

Reese has a very good eye for talent, but honestly he can not balance the Giants bankroll. Reese managed to keep the ELITE core guys like Eli, Osi,Tuck,etc and kept together a well respected coaching staff. U have to remember it was Ernie Acorsi who risked it for Eli, It was Acorsi who gave up on Fassel after appearing in the Superbowl vs Ravens. And lets be honest,Eli is alot better now than he was with Acorsi. Acorsi could of easily won Superbowls with this Eli we currently have. But ill give Reese some credit...he locked up Eli long term when people laughed and kept Coughlin when many giant fans (except me) doubted him.

B&RWarrior
04-02-2012, 09:03 PM
there is no need to bad mouth me. Im a Giants fan and i have the right to post my opinions about
the organization. My comments about Reese is not racially motivated....im a black man as well. Am I wrong for criticizing Reese because he left our offense with 2 undrafted free agents in a complicated offense with option routes. Luckily it worked out because our offensive line was a hot mess because of Reese. Can some1 please tell me why im catching so much heat for this?

If your referring to the SS move I agree this was one of Reese's gaffs. You don't low ball your stars- period. I think he recognized the mistake afterwards. You can tell by TC's reaction that he fully expected the team to do what it took to keep Eli's security blanket.

Still, if your going to judge Reese fairly you have to look at the entire body of work. His first may have been the best draft in Giants history or the history of any team.

I'd like him to be more aggressive in the free agent market, but I understand that grooming your own players allows us more room to keep our key core players. I'm specifically thinking about the O-line in terms of free agency. So far the "draft a project" in the later rounds approach hasn't really panned out so far.

I want a DT in the Keith Hamilton mold. I think I say this on every post I make. I think Reese prefers DTs that are athletic and agile. I'd prefer a 3 turned 4 technique.

These are alcomplaintsompaints. My grade for Reese is A++++. 2 SBs 5 years. The only thing that matters is the ring.

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM

If your referring to the SS move I agree this was one of Reese's gaffs. You don't low ball your stars- period. I think he recognized the mistake afterwards. You can tell by TC's reaction that he fully expected the team to do what it took to keep Eli's security blanket.

Still, if your going to judge Reese fairly you have to look at the entire body of work. His first may have been the best draft in Giants history or the history of any team.

I'd like him to be more aggressive in the free agent market, but I understand that grooming your own players allows us more room to keep our key core players. I'm specifically thinking about the O-line in terms of free agency. So far the "draft a project" in the later rounds approach hasn't really panned out so far.

I want a DT in the Keith Hamilton mold. I think I say this on every post I make. I think Reese prefers DTs that are athletic and agile. I'd prefer a 3 turned 4 technique.

These are alcomplaintsompaints. My grade for Reese is A++++. 2 SBs 5 years. The only thing that matters is the ring.

How was Reese's handling of SS a "gaff"? You're also re-writing history as to TC's reaction.

B&RWarrior
04-02-2012, 09:53 PM

How was Reese's handling of SS a "gaff"?* You're also re-writing history as to TC's reaction.

Because you don't low ball proven stars. SS was a proven commodity. A pro- bowl player and befoer the injury he was arguably one of the best slot recievers in the league.

I'm not rewriting history Coughlin was visibly upset that we didn't come to terms with SS . Check out the link for proof. Giants' Coach Tom Coughlin Angry About Steve Smith Departure (http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/8/11/2357869/giants-coach-tom-coughlin-angry-about-steve-smith-departure)

The fact that Cruz blossomed last year was a God send b/c Reese admits he didn't have a clue Cruz was the player he was. He was originally just a local player trying out with the local NFL team.

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 10:00 PM

How was Reese's handling of SS a "gaff"? You're also re-writing history as to TC's reaction.

Because you don't low ball proven stars. SS was a proven commodity. A pro- bowl player and befoer the injury he was arguably one of the best slot recievers in the league.

I'm not rewriting history Coughlin was visibly upset that we didn't come to terms with SS . Check out the link for proof. Giants' Coach Tom Coughlin Angry About Steve Smith Departure (http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/8/11/2357869/giants-coach-tom-coughlin-angry-about-steve-smith-departure)

The fact that Cruz blossomed last year was a God send b/c Reese admits he didn't have a clue Cruz was the player he was. He was originally just a local player trying out with the local NFL team.

Reese did not "low ball" Steve Smith. He made an offer based on what the medical people told him which was that he would not see the field for several weeks and that was because of his microfracture surgery/recovery. NO ONE knew if Smith would be the same player he was pre-injury. So far, it seems he's not.

TC was not upset with what the GIANTS did. He was very vocal about Smith's handlers not giving them a chance to meet the eagles offer. We just don't overpay and Reese was proven right yet again since Smith has failed to return to his previous form.

Don't confuse "low balling" with paying a fair price for what you're getting.

Drez
04-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Reese did not "low ball" Steve Smith. He made an offer based on what the medical people told him which was that he would not see the field for several weeks and that was because of his microfracture surgery/recovery. NO ONE knew if Smith would be the same player he was pre-injury. So far, it seems he's not.

TC was not upset with what the GIANTS did. He was very vocal about Smith's handlers not giving them a chance to meet the eagles offer. We just don't overpay and Reese was proven right yet again since Smith has failed to return to his previous form.

Was Reese low-balling Smith when he offered him a contract extension pre-injury that would have paid Smith ~$7m a year on average that Smith turned down, opting instead to test the FA market before injuring himself?

Agreed that Coughlin was more upset about how it went down than that we actually lost Smith. We also have to remember that Smith didn't give the Giants a chance to match the Eagles offer (though, it had been said after the fact that we wouldn't have).

I'm with you, RF, on the fact that people have to remember we weren't offering a contract to 2009 Steve Smith. We were offering a contract to post-microfracture surgery, likely to miss a lot of time during the season Smith.

B&RWarrior
04-02-2012, 10:23 PM

How was Reese's handling of SS a "gaff"?* You're also re-writing history as to TC's reaction.

Reese did not "low ball" Steve Smith.** He made an offer based on what the medical people told him which was that he would not see the field for several weeks and that was because of his microfracture surgery/recovery.* NO ONE knew if Smith would be the same player he was pre-injury.* So far, it seems he's not.

TC was not upset with what the GIANTS did.* He was very vocal about Smith's handlers not giving them a chance to meet the eagles offer.* We just don't overpay and Reese was proven right yet again since Smith has failed to return to his previous form.

We see things very differently. Reese said (paraphrasing) we made an offer that wouldn't put us in a bad position. That's the PC way of saying we low balled him.

TC said "I thought he was a Giant all the way." I remember the press conference. He's not going to call out management. TC is first class, but it was obvious he thought resigning SS was a given.

I dont have to be PC. Reese dropped the ball. SS came back to early from the injury. Even if he was unsure of the recovery his pre-injury performance was enough to take a calculated risk and resign a Pro- Bowl clutch receivers. Our SB run was in large part to Cruz who Reese admits he had no clue how good he was. We played hard ball and got LUCKY.

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 10:26 PM

Was Reese low-balling Smith when he offered him a contract extension pre-injury that would have paid Smith ~$7m a year on average that Smith turned down, opting instead to test the FA market before injuring himself?

Agreed that Coughlin was more upset about how it went down than that we actually lost Smith. We also have to remember that Smith didn't give the Giants a chance to match the Eagles offer (though, it had been said after the fact that we wouldn't have).

I'm with you, RF, on the fact that people have to remember we weren't offering a contract to 2009 Steve Smith. We were offering a contract to post-microfracture surgery, likely to miss a lot of time during the season Smith.

I get that when we talk about Steve Smith the GIANT we all want to think pre-injury and all of that promise. But he suffered a very serious injury and has not yet returned to his pro-bowl form. But Reese did what he should have dome and Smith took a more lucrative offer from the eagles.

He closed the last two seasons in IR and is still on a one year "show us" contract.

Drez
04-02-2012, 10:34 PM

We see things very differently. Reese said (paraphrasing) we made an offer that wouldn't put us in a bad position. That's the PC way of saying we low balled him.

TC said "I thought he was a Giant all the way." I remember the press conference. He's not going to call out management. TC is first class, but it was obvious he thought resigning SS was a given.

I dont have to be PC. Reese dropped the ball. SS came back to early from the injury. Even if he was unsure of the recovery his pre-injury performance was enough to take a calculated risk and resign a Pro- Bowl clutch receivers. Our SB run was in large part to Cruz who Reese admits he had no clue how good he was. We played hard ball and got LUCKY.
We didn't play hard ball and get lucky. Our doctors said Smith wouldn't be good to go (essentially fully recovered, not just physically able play) until close to midseason. We offered him a contract thusly. If the Eagles doubled our offer, then our offer was a fair one as we were offering him a contract based on a about a half year's production/value and they rushed him back for the beginning of the season.

Even though Reese may not have seen Cruz coming, he knew that what we had in Nicks and MM would be adequate as our X and Z. It was just a matter of finding someone to take over slot duties.

Also remember that Smith turned down a lucrative contract extension before he got injured. That probably played a role in how Reese dealt with Smith, too.

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 10:43 PM

We didn't play hard ball and get lucky. Our doctors said Smith wouldn't be good to go (essentially fully recovered, not just physically able play) until close to midseason. We offered him a contract thusly. If the Eagles doubled our offer, then our offer was a fair one as we were offering him a contract based on a about a half year's production/value and they rushed him back for the beginning of the season.

Even though Reese may not have seen Cruz coming, he knew that what we had in Nicks and MM would be adequate as our X and Z. It was just a matter of finding someone to take over slot duties.

Also remember that Smith turned down a lucrative contract extension before he got injured. That probably played a role in how Reese dealt with Smith, too.

At that point in time I think we still had Hixon, albeit briefly lol

Drez
04-02-2012, 10:54 PM

You are correct. I kind of forgot about him, seeing as he's only played in 2 games the past 2 seasons, lol (laughing at my forgetting of him, not his injury situation).

However, Hixon is more of an outside guy, too. We still had a question mark at the slot, but we had enough horses where JR wasn't wrong in his dealings with Smith.

I'd also like to reiterate here (not necessarily to you, just in general), that Smith never gave the Giants a chance to match the Eagles offer. That isn't on Reese. That's on Smith.

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 10:56 PM

You are correct. I kind of forgot about him, seeing as he's only played in 2 games the past 2 seasons, lol (laughing at my forgetting of him, not his injury situation).

However, Hixon is more of an outside guy, too. We still had a question mark at the slot, but we had enough horses where JR wasn't wrong in his dealings with Smith.

I'd also like to reiterate here (not necessarily to you, just in general), that Smith never gave the Giants a chance to match the Eagles offer. That isn't on Reese. That's on Smith.

No argument from me

Drez
04-02-2012, 11:00 PM
No argument from me

[B]

buddy33
04-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Why are we still talking about SS? He has now on yet another team. It's over. Oh, and someone said earlier in the thread that Reese cut him. No he didn't.

B&RWarrior
04-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Reese did not "low ball" Steve Smith.** He made an offer based on what the medical people told him which was that he would not see the field for several weeks and that was because of his microfracture surgery/recovery.* NO ONE knew if Smith would be the same player he was pre-injury.* So far, it seems he's not.

TC was not upset with what the GIANTS did.* He was very vocal about Smith's handlers not giving them a chance to meet the eagles offer.* We just don't overpay and Reese was proven right yet again since Smith has failed to return to his previous form.

Even though Reese may not have seen Cruz coming, he knew that what we had in Nicks and MM would be adequate as our X and Z. It was just a matter of finding someone to take over slot duties.*

You don't offer a contract based on the expected recovery time contracts are valued based on the ability to fully recover reagrdless of recovery time. B/C SS was injured Reese tried to use this as leverage to get a cheaper contract and got burned. The fact that the Eagles gave him double what we offered knowing he would only be a #3 WR shows that even with the injury our offer wasn't in line with his market value.

When you let a core player go with no idea of who will replace his production and end up getting production from a WR that you did not know was that good it's called LUCK.

Nicks and MM, and no Cruz don't take us to the SB. Hixon was never considered a substitute for SS. He's a different type of receiver.

I didn't know about the pre-injury contract extension offer . I think this is the real reason SS left. He was upset that Reese made such a low offer after he was injured. He saw it as Reese using the injury to low ball him. Reese saw it as hedging his bet. I tend to see it as the former. Then again I tend to side with the player perspective in these kind of debates.

buddy33
04-03-2012, 09:12 AM
In the 2010 season Manningham and Nicks where one of if not the best WR duos in the league. So heading into this season without SS was not the end of the world.

Why would anyone think SS could play last year based on what we saw with KP? KP had his surgery early in the 2009 season and Smith had his done late in the 2010 season. KP was just able to make it back to start the next season, but was not himself.

Face it, the Giants medical staff was right and Reese offered him accordingly. Great job by Reese not over paying Smith the same way he did not over pay for Boss. Smith had his chance for a big pay day and he took his chances and sadly it did not work out for him.

As far as Cruz goes, did Reese predict the season he would have? Probably not, but he did evaluat him and made him a part of the team. The same way he put Ballard on this team and both did just fine replacing guys that they lost in FA.

GMENAGAIN
04-03-2012, 09:16 AM
there is no need to bad mouth me. Im a Giants fan and i have the right to post my opinions about the organization. My comments about Reese is not racially motivated....im a black man as well. Am I wrong for criticizing Reese because he left our offense with 2 undrafted free agents in a complicated offense with option routes. Luckily it worked out because our offensive line was a hot mess because of Reese. Can some1 please tell me why im catching so much heat for this? If your referring to the SS move I agree this was one of Reese's gaffs. You don't low ball your stars- period. I think he recognized the mistake afterwards. You can tell by TC's reaction that he fully expected the team to do what it took to keep Eli's security blanket. Still, if your going to judge Reese fairly you have to look at the entire body of work. His first may have been the best draft in Giants history or the history of any team. I'd like him to be more aggressive in the free agent market, but I understand that grooming your own players allows us more room to keep our key core players. I'm specifically thinking about the O-line in terms of free agency. So far the "draft a project" in the later rounds approach hasn't really panned out so far. I want a DT in the Keith Hamilton mold. I think I say this on every post I make. I think Reese prefers DTs that are athletic and agile. I'd prefer a 3 turned 4 technique. These are alcomplaintsompaints. My grade for Reese is A++++. 2 SBs 5 years. The only thing that matters is the ring.

Because you don't low ball proven stars. SS was a proven commodity. A pro- bowl player and befoer the injury he was arguably one of the best slot recievers in the league. I'm not rewriting history Coughlin was visibly upset that we didn't come to terms with SS . Check out the link for proof. Giants' Coach Tom Coughlin Angry About Steve Smith Departure (http://www.bigblueview.com/2011/8/11/2357869/giants-coach-tom-coughlin-angry-about-steve-smith-departure) The fact that Cruz blossomed last year was a God send b/c Reese admits he didn't have a clue Cruz was the player he was. He was originally just a local player trying out with the local NFL team.

We see things very differently. Reese said (paraphrasing) we made an offer that wouldn't put us in a bad position. That's the PC way of saying we low balled him. TC said "I thought he was a Giant all the way." I remember the press conference. He's not going to call out management. TC is first class, but it was obvious he thought resigning SS was a given. I dont have to be PC. Reese dropped the ball. SS came back to early from the injury. Even if he was unsure of the recovery his pre-injury performance was enough to take a calculated risk and resign a Pro- Bowl clutch receivers. Our SB run was in large part to Cruz who Reese admits he had no clue how good he was. We played hard ball and got LUCKY.

You don't offer a contract based on the expected recovery time contracts are valued based on the ability to fully recover reagrdless of recovery time. B/C SS was injured Reese tried to use this as leverage to get a cheaper contract and got burned. The fact that the Eagles gave him double what we offered knowing he would only be a #3 WR shows that even with the injury our offer wasn't in line with his market value. When you let a core player go with no idea of who will replace his production and end up getting production from a WR that you did not know was that good it's called LUCK. Nicks and MM, and no Cruz don't take us to the SB. Hixon was never considered a substitute for SS. He's a different type of receiver. I didn't know about the pre-injury contract extension offer . I think this is the real reason SS left. He was upset that Reese made such a low offer after he was injured. He saw it as Reese using the injury to low ball him. Reese saw it as hedging his bet. I tend to see it as the former. Then again I tend to side with the player perspective in these kind of debates.</P>

You make no sense at all.</P>

Regardless of what was said at the time that Smith left, it is now indisputable that JR made the right decision on Steve Smith. If anyonegot "burned" it was the Eagles. </P>

For you to still be arguing this after we already know the outcome of the decision isnothing short of bizarre.</P>

And aren't you the one that started this whole "Reese is the Man" thread? Very strange . . . . </P>

Drez
04-03-2012, 12:12 PM
You don't offer a contract based on the expected recovery time contracts are valued based on the ability to fully recover reagrdless of recovery time.So, you're supposed to give an injured player (yes, he was still injured) who had a surgery that could seriously diminish his one true gift (ability to make sharp, quick cuts) a large, multi-year contract based on previous performance? That would be a HUGE blunder. The kind that eventually gets GMs fired.

B/C SS was injured Reese tried to use this as leverage to get a cheaper contract and got burned. How did we get burned? You do know that Smith only played in 9 games and had 11 receptions for 124 yards and a single TD that came on a blown coverage by us? Damn. I'm sure pissed that Reese didn't pay nearly $3m for that!!! Reese knew what our doctors told him and offered a contract that reflected that assessment. That is, in fact, how you offer contracts. Based on expected performance/production. Yes, you keep in mind previous performance, but you can't always pay for the past lest you cripple your future.

The fact that the Eagles gave him double what we offered knowing he
would only be a #3 WR shows that even with the injury our offer wasn't
in line with his market value.
The fact that the Eagles offered him double what we did means nothing towards what his market value is. The Eagles could have been motivated in part by keeping a potential weapon from a divisional rival, and as such paid a premium, above market price to do so. You need more than 2 data points to chart actual value. It appears that the Eagles drastically overpaid for Smith's service. So, it seems they were the ones that had the skewed vision of Smith's value, not us.

When you let a core player go with no idea of who will replace his
production and end up getting production from a WR that you did not know
was that good it's called LUCKNo, it isn't. It's called doing business in the salary cap era of the NFL. Did we know that Smith was going to break out in '09? Did we know that Nicks was going to be a beast when we drafted him? How did we know that we were going to be okay after Plax and Toomer were gone? Is Reese dumb for not trading a bounty to get Boldin or Edwards that year?

You pay your scouting department to find talented players. You never know how a player is going to pan out before he actually plays and produces in the NFL. Reese knew that we were set on the outside, and knowing that took the calculated risk that we could find a guy to work the slot, or do it by some sort of committee of WR/TE.

Nicks and MM, and no Cruz don't take us to the SB. There is no way of you can know that. No one can possibly know how the season would have panned out without Cruz. Maybe MM ends up having a huge year. Maybe Barden steps up. Maybe JJ sees the field and excels. Maybe we find a way to work Beckum more into the game more split out. Our game planning would have been completely different without Cruz.

Hixon was never
considered a substitute for SS. He's a different type of receiver.So was Cruz. Cruz had no extensive experience at the slot before this year, either.

I didn't know about the pre-injury contract extension offer Mara came out with the details shortly after Smith signed with Philly due to all the irrational backlash from fans who didn't understand the situation.

I think this is the real reason SS left. He was upset that Reese made
such a low offer after he was injured. He saw it as Reese using the
injury to low ball him. Reese saw it as hedging his bet. I tend to see
it as the former. Then again I tend to side with the player
perspective in these kind of debates.Smith left because he jumped at the money. Maybe he knew the Giants wouldn't match and that's why he didn't bring back the offer to us. However, that's still ineptitude by his agent. If even he thought there was a 0% chance, you still bring it back and see if you can't get one side to offer more. How is it that we low balled him? It seems Reese had a pretty accurate feel for what Smith was going to be able to do. His contract offer was based on Smith's healing time coupled with the uncertainty of how fully recovered he was going to be. It was a "show-me" contract that would have been revisited had Smith produced (or shown that he could) at previous levels. That's not called low balling. That's called offering a fair contract. If we low balled him, then so did the Rams. He's on a 1 year deal with only $1.5m guaranteed.

The fact that you say that you tend to side with the players on these issues admits that you will won't be willing to (or at least will be difficult for you to) look at that objective facts surrounding the situation.

In today's NFL, it is impossible to keep everyone. Again, JR didn't let Smith walk. Smith walked himself. He never brought the Eagles contract offer back to us to match. Granted, it's been said since that we likely wouldn't have matched it, but it wasn't JR's decision to not re-sign him. It was Smith's decision to hop at the first contract offer higher than the one we gave.

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
In the 2010 season Manningham and Nicks where one of if not the best WR duos in the league. So heading into this season without SS was not the end of the world.

Why would anyone think SS could play last year based on what we saw with KP? KP had his surgery early in the 2009 season and Smith had his done late in the 2010 season. KP was just able to make it back to start the next season, but was not himself.

Face it, the Giants medical staff was right and Reese offered him accordingly. Great job by Reese not over paying Smith the same way he did not over pay for Boss. Smith had his chance for a big pay day and he took his chances and sadly it did not work out for him.

As far as Cruz goes, did Reese predict the season he would have? Probably not, but he did evaluat him and made him a part of the team. The same way he put Ballard on this team and both did just fine replacing guys that they lost in FA.

[Y]