PDA

View Full Version : TOM COUGHLIN DESERVES OPEN-ENDED CONTRACT WITH NEW YORK GIANTS

RoanokeFan
04-01-2012, 10:33 PM
TOM COUGHLIN DESERVES OPEN-ENDED CONTRACT WITH NEW YORK GIANTS (http://www.giants101.com/2012/04/01/tom-coughlin-deserves-open-ended-contract-with-new-york-giants/?tw_p=twt)

"Not long ago, news broke that the <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> intended on working out a contract extension with head coach,
Tom Coughlin. Based on previous years' extensions, the upfront
idea was that Coughlin would receive another one-year extension. Now, however,
it seems as though the possibility of a longer extension is something that
John Mara and Jerry Reese would consider.http://d1.openx.org/lg.php?bannerid=544983&amp;campaignid=255373&amp;zoneid=86 840&amp;loc=1&amp;referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.giants101.com%2 F2012%2F04%2F01%2Ftom-coughlin-deserves-open-ended-contract-with-new-york-giants%2F%3Ftw_p%3Dtwt&amp;cb=0c3f2d0081&amp;r_id=c8351192 d3ccd59cf235c370b7ba2381&amp;r_ts=m1tz17

The Mara family has always valued loyalty and character, something Reese
represents in full. Further, it goes without saying the Coughlin has brought in
two Super Bowl Championships and managed teams that have faced some of the worst
adversity in Giants history. With injury-riddled teams and contract disputes
(many of which ended in veterans leaving the team), Coughlin remains stalwart in
his management of Big Blue.
</p>

And for that, Tom Coughlin deserves a long-term, open-ended contract with the
<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> that will last him until the end of his coaching career; a decision
he will make himself.</p>

Coughlin is not perfect, nor is any coach in the history of the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/). He has made
changes to his temperament in the way he handles his players, creating a
Leadership Council made up of trusted, veteran players on the team. He is open
to the feedback of the team, and yet, continues to coach as a "old-school,"
hard-nosed disciplinarian certainly not an easy task.</p>

There is also the issue of his unstable trend throughout the season. Often
the Giants start strong (several times going 6-2 in the first eight games), but
inevitably fall short later in the season. In fact, it was the success at the
very end of the season, starting on Christmas Eve against the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/)
Jets, that the Giants clicked into gear and began their Super Bowl run.</p>

The bottom line, though, is that Tom Coughlin is simply the right man for the
<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a>. He knows the team inside and out, and has proven that he can take
even the most tested Giants teams to greatness. Coughlin is trusted by his
players, the management, and the fans. He is also the caliber of man and coach
that would admit if he was no longer fit for his role as head coach, the mark of
a truly devoted leader.</p>

As such, he has earned the right to stay as the Commander-in-Chief of Big
Blue, and will likely go down as the greatest coach in Giants history."</p>

BigBlue1971
04-01-2012, 10:53 PM
combined with what he donewith this team in 07then come back 4 years later with an almost mirror image of that game, TC has earned the respect of being the greatest head coach in Giants history imo!</P>

i think he will call his own shot the rest of his coaching career. he deserves it!</P>

</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff size=4>Go Giants!</FONT></P>

jomo
04-01-2012, 11:18 PM
You show me an open ended contract and I'll show you Joe Paterno. We don't need anything like that. TC deserves an extension but at some point (probably at the end of this next 2-3 year deal) he needs to move aside (or be moved aside)so that the team can move forward. He can't become bigger than the team and I don't think he'll want that to happen.

NYFan221
04-01-2012, 11:37 PM
You show me an open ended contract and I'll show you Joe Paterno. We don't need anything like that. TC deserves an extension but at some point (probably at the end of this next 2-3 year deal) he needs to move aside (or be moved aside)so that the team can move forward. He can't become bigger than the team and I don't think he'll want that to happen.

unless we have someone in house that can take over at the end of those 2-3 years, i don't think we.d make him move aside.

JMFP2
04-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Coughlin deserves a fat contract, and all his critics should kiss his Irish *** while they are at it.</P>

giantsfan420
04-02-2012, 01:00 AM
one thing i disagreed with in the article: the fans trust him.

after a 2 game losing streak everyone is ready to run him out of the tri-state area.

i will say this though, Coughlin has coaches us to the promised land twice. both those teams weren't even close to the most talented teams he's coached. if he can sustain the success he's had when our team isn't a legitimate "powerhouse" when our team is stacked (like it should be this next season) there's no reason not to expect several more championships.

thats actually the one flaw i think his teams have. that they wait until the last moment possible to turn everything around. the team/players themselves have said they perform their best when their backs are completely against the wall. while it really isn't a flaw to be able to do that, it is a flaw that the team can't do it before that "last chance" moment.

the following season from the 07 SB win is what leads me to believe, that despite the tough schedule (which rivals the 08 schedule), this team is going to be dominant for the most part of the season. I'd love it if we didn't have that typical 2nd half of the season collapse and for the team to not give its fans 10-12 heart attacks a season.

its such an enigma, can't really understand why this team performs at another level when everyone and even most their fans are hating on them. just perform at the highest level no matter the outside circumstances...

edit- that doesnt mean "dont lose games" it means show up and give it ur all and dont play flat, and if u lose playing that way its understandable.

losing like we did vs the skins late in this past season was inexcusable, and for some reason we seem to have those much more than the other "elite" teams...

SweetZombieJesus
04-02-2012, 05:54 AM
I don't know about open-ended, but Tom deserves a big fat contract and a long leash.

What I'm trying to prevent is, in our euphoria, let's not forget the Joe Torre example of flopping many years in a row, or in a worse case the Tom Landry example (and how badly that ended) or the Al Davis example. All the bad things (playoff flops, 2nd half collapses) are still issues and I don't expect them to just disappear, and we're willing to look them off because of the good. Just saying we shouldn't give him infinite carte blanche, he still needs to perform.

And yes, at 65, he needs to be thinking about his future plans (however far out they are) and grooming a successor as Ernie Accorsie did with Jerry Reese. If we become completely dependent on him and he becomes bigger than the team and something happens, then what?

giantsfan420
04-02-2012, 07:04 AM
I don't know about open-ended, but Tom deserves a big fat contract and a long leash.*

What I'm trying to prevent is, in our euphoria, let's not forget the Joe Torre example of flopping many years in a row, or in a worse case the Tom Landry example (and how badly that ended) or the Al Davis example.* All the bad things (playoff flops, 2nd half collapses) are still issues and I don't expect them to just disappear, and we're willing to look them off because of the good.* Just saying we shouldn't give him infinite carte blanche, he still needs to perform.

And yes, at 65, he needs to be thinking about his future plans (however far out they are) and grooming a successor as Ernie Accorsie did with Jerry Reese.* If we become completely dependent on him and he becomes bigger than the team and something happens, then what?

yeah but u were guilty of overlooking the good to focus on the bad.

with eli as the starting qb, the coughlin led team has failed to make the playoffs TWICE in 8 years without a losing record. say what u want about 2nd half collapses, but that is AMAZING...factor in 2 SB victories and some of the most improbable runs in NFL history, and u realize that the 2nd half collapses weren't necessarily due to Coughlin, but a myriad of factors

i'd say that behind BB, coughlin is the 2nd best coach in the league easily. he gets the most out of our injury depleted rosters and always keeps the team competitive...he def. deserves a carte blanche, and coughlin doesnt strike me as being the kinda guy to wear out his welcome, he'll retire when its the best absolute time for the giants org/

GameTime
04-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Its football and the NFL. Nothing is ever really garaunteed. A open ended contract is a nice way of saying coach till you want or until we decide to change. Whom ever thinks this will be a Joe Paterno things is nuts. That will never happen in the NFL. Either way its not a big deal and it is showing TC the respect he deserves over a 1 year extension for example.</P>

IMO he is gone after 2014 anyway. He will use that as an opportunity to try and get to and win a Super Bowl in the Giants own house. After that he will retire. </P>

</P>

GMENAGAIN
04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
You show me an open ended contract and I'll show you Joe Paterno. We don't need anything like that. TC deserves an extension but at some point (probably at the end of this next 2-3 year deal) he needs to move aside (or be moved aside)so that the team can move forward. He can't become bigger than the team and I don't think he'll want that to happen.</P>

Exactly,any organization that would sign an "open-ended contract" with any employee is just flat-out stupid. As far as I know, this has never happened in the history of NFL coaching. </P>

So now after calling for TC to be firedjust a few months ago,people are now calling for him to receive the first open-ended coaching contract in the history of the NFL? lol. . . . Who writes this garbage?</P>

How about just a nice, normalcontract extension befitting a two-time Super Bowl winning coach??</P>

JimC
04-02-2012, 08:41 AM
one thing i disagreed with in the article: the fans trust him.

after a 2 game losing streak everyone is ready to run him out of the tri-state area.

i will say this though, Coughlin has coaches us to the promised land twice. both those teams weren't even close to the most talented teams he's coached. if he can sustain the success he's had when our team isn't a legitimate "powerhouse" when our team is stacked (like it should be this next season) there's no reason not to expect several more championships.

thats actually the one flaw i think his teams have. that they wait until the last moment possible to turn everything around. the team/players themselves have said they perform their best when their backs are completely against the wall. while it really isn't a flaw to be able to do that, it is a flaw that the team can't do it before that "last chance" moment.

the following season from the 07 SB win is what leads me to believe, that despite the tough schedule (which rivals the 08 schedule), this team is going to be dominant for the most part of the season. I'd love it if we didn't have that typical 2nd half of the season collapse and for the team to not give its fans 10-12 heart attacks a season.

its such an enigma, can't really understand why this team performs at another level when everyone and even most their fans are hating on them. just perform at the highest level no matter the outside circumstances...

edit- <font color="#0000FF" size="4">that doesnt mean "dont lose games" it means show up and give it ur all</font> and dont play flat, and if u lose playing that way its understandable.

losing like we did vs the skins late in this past season was inexcusable, and for some reason we seem to have those much more than the other "elite" teams...

Correct! That's all we can really ask of anyone or any team

nygsb42champs
04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
I agree. TC deserves the chance to walk away when ever he wants to on his terms.

SweetZombieJesus
04-02-2012, 09:19 AM

True, and I'll be the first to admit it. Whatever the "magic" is, it's there and it defies convention.

But what's the limit? Another 4 years before the next miracle run? 6 years? 10 years? 15 years? Thus the Torre and Landry comparisons. Do you really want it to be an infinite free reign if he becomes Al Davis in his old age? Al Davis won 3 Super Bowls once upon a time and then terrorized his team for 25 more years....

Anyway, I'm all for keeping Coughlin for the foreseeable future and I hope he knows when it's time to walk away and is grooming the organization for life without him.

* and the team went 6-10 in his first year 2004.

shockeyg
04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Hell I think Tom should throw his hat in the ring for Prez. in 2012. I mean he's a honest man who works hard and makes everyone around him work just as hard . Who was the last prez. we had that did this ?

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 10:28 AM

I think a lot will depend on his health and his passion for the game. From a strictly business perspective, an "open-ended" contract would be foolhardy for any organization. I think the Mara's and the Tisch's respect and admire Tom Couglin and as long as he's producing as they envision, he's probably safe for a few more years to come.

giantsfan420
04-02-2012, 11:41 AM

True, and I'll be the first to admit it.* Whatever the "magic" is, it's there and it defies convention.

But what's the limit?* Another 4 years before the next miracle run?* 6 years?* 10 years?* 15 years?* Thus the Torre and Landry comparisons.* Do you really want it to be an infinite free reign if he becomes Al Davis in his old age?* Al Davis won 3 Super Bowls once upon a time and then terrorized his team for 25 more years....

Anyway, I'm all for keeping Coughlin for the foreseeable future and I hope he knows when it's time to walk away and is grooming the organization for life without him.

* and the team went 6-10 in his first year 2004.

i prefaced the no losing season with eli as starter.

i get what ur saying and agree with u but i dont think the giants are about to make TC the Joe Paterno of the the NYG.

He deserves to be able to coach w/o the bs "hot seat" that will no doubt engulf the team with a bad loss...i made a post about TC in either this thread or another where I discuss the flaw of not being able to perform at the highest level before the "last chance, back against the wall" scenarios. I dont get why TC led teams do their best when and only when their backs are competely against the wall...the 2 sb seasons were actually 2 of the more "avg" rosters we fielded due to injuries...next season, the SB should absolutely be the goal and we should at the least make a run at it bc if our team is healthy for the most part next season, we will be better as a whole than this past season...