PDA

View Full Version : Possibility of not being able to resign BOTH Nicks and Cruz

TuckYou
04-02-2012, 09:32 AM
With Cruz only making about 550K next season, and then being a FA, if he has another season like last he would be looking at a huge contract from someone as a #1 WR. Also, Nicks rookie contract will expire the following season in 2013. Both have real low contract numbers for the amount of contribution and impact they have on this team. </P>

The Gmen already have their backs against the wall with the cap. It might not be likely that they can resign both, especially if you consider the fact that JPP will land a MONSTER deal if he continues at his pace. </P>

So, which would you rather the giants keep, and which would you think we try to replace in the draft in the future?</P>

ny06
04-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Nicks &amp; JPP are #1 priorities. </P>

Cruz still has to show he can me more then a flash in the pan. But I feel he will have another solid season and the Giants will have to make a decision on what to do with his contract being up. </P>

If the Giants take the risk of not paying Cruz before next season is over and he has a monster year they may not be able to resign him. Unless the Giants franchise him, and it is clear the Giants don't use it unless they plan on giving a long term deal. Ex Weatherford and Jacobs. </P>

All in all I trust Reese and his staff. He will do whatever he can to help the team and keep the young talented core together. </P>

TuggSpeedman
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
The cap is projected to go up that year so we shouldn't have much to worry about.

TuckYou
04-02-2012, 10:01 AM
The cap is projected to go up that year so we shouldn't have much to worry about.
</P>

The cap isnt expected to go "up" until 2014. So thats a year after Nicks contract is up and 2 years after Cruz. By the way, we are not sure how much we will get. I read somewhere that Robert Kraft said he believes teams relying on the cap increase will be in trouble in the future. </P>

thomsoad
04-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Moot point. Barring a serious Cruz injury both WR's will be #1 priorities. Eli will restructure and the Giants will make whatever cap casualties necessary to obtain enough money to sign both players.

ryan12
04-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Moot point. Barring a serious Cruz injury both WR's will be #1 priorities. Eli will restructure and the Giants will make whatever cap casualties necessary to obtain enough money to sign both players.

agree 1000% no way we let them walk. those 2 along with jpp will be giants for a long time (fingers crossed)

ryan12
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
however if there was no way possible to keep them both i would want us to keep nicks

Redeyejedi
04-02-2012, 11:52 AM
With Cruz only making about 550K next season, and then being a FA, if he has another season like last he would be looking at a huge contract from someone as a #1 WR. Also, Nicks rookie contract will expire the following season in 2013. Both have real low contract numbers for the amount of contribution and impact they have on this team. </P>

The Gmen already have their backs against the wall with the cap. It might not be likely that they can resign both, especially if you consider the fact that JPP will land a MONSTER deal if he continues at his pace. </P>

So, which would you rather the giants keep, and which would you think we try to replace in the draft in the future?</P> Giants need to consider drafting a Safety or DT early to clear Canty and Rolle. Phillips is a FA as well.
Drafting a WR in the first Round so they let him walk if he wants to much

Flip Empty
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Can't rely on Eli restructuring all the time, all that does is bump up his already massive cap number at the back-end of his contract.

Meanhothead
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
It's not the time to worry about it. They are under contract right now

FroZeNx31x
04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Rolle won't play out his entire contract with us, he'll most likely be gone in two years, clear his cap.
Im predicting the same for Chris Canty if Marvin Austin pans out, clear his cap.
David Deihl and Chris Snee will also be cap causalities sooner than later, give or take 2-3 years. clear their cap.
Osi will be gone, clear his cap.
Boley will be gone in 2 years as well, clear his cap.

And there you go, a solution to sign the young stars while letting go of big money deals already in place.

Hopefully we don't screw up and go into rebuilding mode like the Colts, Vikings, Seahawks etc....

B&RWarrior
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Easy choice Nicks. If Marvin shows any signs of competency we will let Canty go. We may draft a Boley replacement. I think Snee is a keeper. I couldn't see an excuse for letting him go unless his play declines. Everyone else on the O-line is expendable. We overpaid for Rolle so we will be developing or looking for a replacement.

Eli to Nicks & Cruz is this team's hallmark. I think Reese understands this and finds a way to get it done. We don't need a great RB or TE/3rd WR. If we can find a way to upgrade our run blocking and keep both receivers we should remain a threat to go to the SB.

TrueBlue@NYC
04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Easy choice Nicks. If Marvin shows any signs of competency we will let Canty go. We may draft a Boley replacement. I think Snee is a keeper. I couldn't see an excuse for letting him go unless his play declines. Everyone else on the O-line is expendable. We overpaid for Rolle so we will be developing or looking for a replacement. Eli to Nicks &amp; Cruz is this team's hallmark. I think Reese understands this and finds a way to get it done. We don't need a great RB or TE/3rd WR. If we can find a way to upgrade our run blocking and keep both receivers we should remain a threat to go to the SB.</P>

Yep, I think JR understands that the core of this team is Eli, Nicks, Cruz, JPP andTuck. Those are your big keepers, and teams generally find sways to keep their core players. \</P>

Everyone else you have a value amount in mind for them, and once they overexceed that value and it gets in the way of keeping your main guys, you part ways with them and get replacements. </P>

It's tough keeping two #1 salary WR guys on the same roster, but in order to make it possible you have to try and get salary value at other positions like RB, LBer. </P>

BeatYale
04-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Good post. I'm glad someone brought it up because there's too many people on this forum worried about the '3rd' WR position thinking it's the key to our success in the future when that's not true at all. Whoever is on the field with Cruz and Nicks will reap the benefits of their notoriety.

The Calvin Johnson contract is the new measuring stick for contract extensions for highly productive WRs. Obviously no one will get more than what Calvin got, but they will want to be in that ball park.

Nicks should be the bigger priority because he's more proven IMO.

Cruz's value will probably never be as high as it is this offseason. The kind of production he had will be difficult to reproduce. Teams will have 20 games worth of film to study him next season.

Both of their agents will command high dollar for them. I think it's viable to keep both of them along with JPP as long as the team is able to continue developing talent behind them. It's obvious them being on the field improves the play of the players around them. Minus Eli of course, he's his own man.

B&RWarrior
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Good post. I'm glad someone brought it up because there's too many people on this forum worried about the '3rd' WR position thinking it's the key to our success in the future when that's not true at all. Whoever is on the field with Cruz and Nicks will reap the benefits of their notoriety.

The Calvin Johnson contract is the new measuring stick for contract extensions for highly productive WRs. Obviously no one will get more than what Calvin got, but they will want to be in that ball park.

Cruz's value will probably never be as high as it is this offseason. The kind of production he had will be difficult to reproduce. Teams will have 20 games worth of film to study him next season.

Both of their agents will command high dollar for them. I think it's viable to keep both of them along with JPP as long as the team is able to continue developing talent behind them. It's obvious them being on the field improves the play of the players around them. Minus Eli of course, he's his own man.

I agree its not the key to success, but for our SB run our 3rd WR gave us signifigant production. Manningham provided some memorable plays in the clutch, at key points in the game, but his overall contribution was not as large as I initally thought.

It's scary to think of what JPP can be if can dedicate himself to mastering the technique of DE.

Call me crazy, but I think Osi should be resigned. He still is our best edge rusher and most dangerous DE on passing downs. 9 sacks in 9 games. He's a game changer. Especailly if we're going to keep Kiwi at LB.

slipknottin
04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Cruz will be an RFA next season, so he can be tagged, which will only cost a couple million.

The roster is going to get a major makeover next year.

IMO, Rolle, Canty, Osi, Kiwi, Boley, Diehl, and Osi all gone next offseason.

But that should make room to resign Cruz, Nicks, and JPP.

NYGiants2120
04-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Cruz will be an RFA next season, so he can be tagged, which will only cost a couple million.

But that should make room to resign Cruz, Nicks, and JPP.you think they let boley AND kiwi walk? where do you plan on finding LBers?

gmen46
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM

I suggest you are seriously undervaluing the importance of a #3 WR to our offense.

While it is true that Manningham was destined to leave because his goal was to have more targets than he had in 2011, and was unlikely to have had he remained a Giant, and to POSSIBLY earn his chance to become a #1 elsewhere, the Giants did not take his wishes lightly, and did not easily let him go.

It simply made no sense for the Giants to promise him a greater role in future seasons than he had in 2011 and could likely receive via FA. That's more a function of FA and Manningham's understandable desire to be involved in the game more, rather than a function of how much the Giants valued him.

Money differences had little, if any, role in MM's decision to go the SF, in my opinion. Just look at the dollar value of his SF contract. It is not an excessive amount, and surprised a lot of Giants fans as to how "low" it was.

But given SF WR production in 2011, they could obviously promise MM a legitimate opportunity to earn #2 status, if not actually #1. Giants could not make that promise.

But in Giants offense we saw this past season, #3 WR plays a critical role; it is a key piece of the puzzle. And Manningham provided that piece magnificently. One need look no further than the Sound FX from SB XLVI, where Bilichick gives his now-famous sideline directive to his defense before our last drive, to understand the crucial importance of that position.

And it's not simple coincidence that Kurt Warner recently made his comments about the demise of his "Greatest Show On Turf" Rams.

At their pinnacle, 1999-2001, their offense was supremely unstoppable. In addition to the obvious star receivers Holt, Bruce, and Marshall in his dual role, their 3rd WR was Az-Zahir Hakim.

Look up his numbers the first 4 years of his career (1998-2001), which were his only years with the Rams, and you will see strong similarities to those of Mario (actually a little less than Mario). Yet his role as the alternative to Holt, Bruce, and even Faulk, which allowed him to make key, huge plays at critical points of a game were a big reason "the Greatest Show On Turf" was, in fact, great.

This is according to Warner, who certainly is the ONE person who would know the truth of this.

As soon as Hakim left via FA in 2002, the Rams offensive juggernaut fell off a cliff (at least as compared to that of the previous 3 years).

BTW, Hakim went on to have 8 more seasons in the NFL, with 4 different teams, and with individual numbers that were essentially no greater than his 4 years with Rams ( a future that could very well be reflected in MM's career). But these same numbers that enabled him to be a critical cog in the Rams offense led Hakim to a rather pedestrian remainder of his career (on teams that were at the time pedestrian).

Warner's obvious point is that not only does each player have a role, but only the RIGHT player, in the right position, and at the RIGHT TIME will enable a team to excel.

It is not that Reese was wrong to not meet MM's contract wishes. He wasn't.

In our scheme MM does not--and never will, in my opinion, regardless of how much I loved having him on our team--deserve a role different from his in 2011. Not as long as we have Nicks and Cruz on the field.

For anyone to assume, as you state here, that "whoever is on the field with Cruz and Nicks will reap the benefits of their notoriety" is seriously underestimating MM's true contributions and is also underestimating the importance of that position.

It is no slam-dunk we will have the same passing juggernaut we had in 2011 if our #3 replacement is not capable of receiving the occasional pass thrown his way at CRITICAL points in a game.

It is CERTAINLY no slam-dunk that just any old WR will replace the selective effectiveness produced by Manningham, as you suggest above.

IF--a VERY big "if"-- Hixon can remain healthy this year, he has shown he can be effective in that role. No one else currently on our team has yet shown that ability.

gmen46
04-02-2012, 04:00 PM

But that should make room to resign Cruz, Nicks, and JPP.

I don't agree all of these players are as automatically gone after next year, as you do.

Unless Rolle makes All Pro or at least the Pro Bowl next year, OR if we strike gold with a safety draft pick this April, or a miraculous Chad Jones come back in 2012 (both long, long shots, for sure), I do agree that Rolle may well be gone after 2012.

But it is conceivable to me that he and the Giants are able to negotiate a contract extension late 2012 that works out for both sides--meaning he doesn't get $9 million a year, but does get a fair market value we can function under. I think there is at least a chance for that, given what Rolle has, and has not done, with us the past 2 years.

If Austin, at least by the end of the 2012 season, shows he can fulfill the promise Reese and coaches saw when they picked him in 2nd round, and if Joseph continues his production arc of 2011, Canty may well also be gone after this year.

But there is at least an equal chance the other 4 you list will be Giants after 2012, as there is they will be gone. Certainly there is a better than 50/50 chance that 1 or 2 of them will be retained.

GfieldGmen
04-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Canty, Rolle, Diehl will be coming off the books or cut before we let Nicks or Cruz walk.

Giants10EM
04-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Letting Snee go would result in some awkward thanksgiving dinners. Haha.

gmen0820
04-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Draft Marvin Jones and there is flexibility at any WR position. Nicks at the X and Cruz at the Y/Z.

Jones can play all 3.

titwio
04-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Nicks & JPP are #1 priorities. </P>

Cruz still has to show he can me more then a flash in the pan. But I feel he will have another solid season and the Giants will have to make a decision on what to do with his contract being up. </P>

If the Giants take the risk of not paying Cruz before next season is over and he has a monster year they may not be able to resign him. Unless the Giants franchise him, and it is clear the Giants don't use it unless they plan on giving a long term deal. Ex Weatherford and Jacobs. </P>

All in all I trust Reese and his staff. He will do whatever he can to help the team and keep the young talented core together. </P>

I agree that the Giants shouldn't offer Cruz big money yet. Truth is he had a great season but he only has one season under his belt coming in as an UDFA. If he can show he can continue to produce next season then he should be offered something long term. I can see Reese giving him some kind of incentive based deal for this season and re-up him later on.

JPP is still on a nice rookie contract so right now Nicks should be the priority over anyone IMO.

Roosevelt
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
It's not the time to worry about it. They are under contract right now

Exactly. I ain't worrying about that **** right now. Plenty of time for that down the road.

I want to see the ring!

GiantLife615
04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
The front office never plans for one year at a time, well not this front office anyway. The Giants know very well what lies down the road. The decisions they make now, will affect us when guys like JPP, Nicks, Cruz etc are owed money. They are staying right at the cap, without making a big splash because bad signings tie up, and waste money down the line. Us fans think one off season at a time, but the guys in the FO do not.

Evo'Ed
04-02-2012, 09:22 PM
IMO besides Eli and JPP, Nicks and Cruz are our most important players.

I hope we can extend their contracts now to some reasonable numbers hoping they don't hit the FA market.

I would hate to see any of these players in another uniform.

Damn cap.

w_mann5
04-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions. Cruz had one great season on an extremely talented Super Bowl squad. Waiting until after this season to see how he produces would be wise in my opinion.

gmen0820
04-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Let's not jump to conclusions. Cruz had one great season on an extremely talented Super Bowl squad. Waiting until after this season to see how he produces would be wise in my opinion.
The skills Cruz displayed is what makes people jump to conclusions. Even after the preseason game vs the Jets, I had said that I never had seen a player with such incredible ball skills wear a Giants uniform.

Now I was quick to give up on Cruz, figured that what I had saw was just another preseason hero, a flash in the bucket per se. Surely enough, Cruz went on a roll, showed those undeniable skills we witnessed vs the Jets in preseason, and the rest is history.

My money is on Cruz. He is only going to further flourish. Will his statistics be as gaudy next year? Probably not -- but he will have an impact.

rainierjef
04-03-2012, 12:04 AM
i think you guys are jumping the gun on all these players. injuries can happen lets just wait till its time for contracts to be negotiated and then we will see where we stand cap wise who's healthy who is still productive.

giantsfan420
04-03-2012, 12:41 AM
The skills Cruz displayed is what makes people jump to conclusions. Even after the preseason game vs the Jets, I had said that I never had seen a player with such incredible ball skills wear a Giants uniform.

Now I was quick to give up on Cruz, figured that what I had saw was just another preseason hero, a flash in the bucket per se. Surely enough, Cruz went on a roll, showed those undeniable skills we witnessed vs the Jets in preseason, and the rest is history.

My money is on Cruz. He is only going to further flourish. Will his statistics be as gaudy next year? Probably not -- but he will have an impact.

agree 100%. while he may not ever give us another statistical season like this past one, i strongly believe his level of play was no fluke. to be honest, i even came around to thinking and agreeing with you that he could even become better on the perimeter.

Although 75% of his production came from the slot...but also, keep in mind, it wasnt as if Cruz success was bc of fluke, freak circumstances/situations. Yes, he had those amazing 70 plus yd plays, but i strongly believe that if those big td plays ended up as 20 yard gains opposed to 70 yard gains, he still would have had a helluva season, point being, his success wasnt predicated solely on those long YAC plays, it was his shiftiness, elusiveness, craftiness, and awareness that made him so successful, the big play TD's were just icing on the cake.

BeatYale
04-03-2012, 02:47 AM

I agree its not the key to success, but for our SB run our 3rd WR gave us signifigant production. Manningham provided some memorable plays in the clutch, at key points in the game, but his overall contribution was not as large as I initally thought.

It's scary to think of what JPP can be if can dedicate himself to mastering the technique of DE.

Call me crazy, but I think Osi should be resigned. He still is our best edge rusher and most dangerous DE on passing downs. 9 sacks in 9 games. He's a game changer. Especailly if we're going to keep Kiwi at LB.

I agree about Osi being our best edge rusher on passing downs. I also agree with the Giants not jumping the gun and giving a contract extension to a guy with a knee issue.

It's a tough situation because every name we mention in this topic is arguably a top 10 player at his position in the NFL IMO.

I still think building through the draft is critical and more important than retaining players at a high price for depth. JPP and Prince were drafted as the 'best players available' according to Reese. However, he foresaw salary cap issues in retaining veteran players at their positions. He knew Ross and/or TT would walk this off season and I think everyone was expecting Osi to go because of the yearly contract issues and threats to hold out etc.

gmen0820
04-03-2012, 03:04 PM

agree 100%. while he may not ever give us another statistical season like this past one, i strongly believe his level of play was no fluke. to be honest, i even came around to thinking and agreeing with you that he could even become better on the perimeter.

Although 75% of his production came from the slot...but also, keep in mind, it wasnt as if Cruz success was bc of fluke, freak circumstances/situations. Yes, he had those amazing 70 plus yd plays, but i strongly believe that if those big td plays ended up as 20 yard gains opposed to 70 yard gains, he still would have had a helluva season, point being, his success wasnt predicated solely on those long YAC plays, it was his shiftiness, elusiveness, craftiness, and awareness that made him so successful, the big play TD's were just icing on the cake.Yeah Cruz flat out balled last year. Him and Eli are just going to have another year of chemistry.

I think Cruz is going to be an assassin this year, wherever he plays in the formation. I mean late in the year, teams just couldn't stop him, point blank. They will have a full offseason under their belt, and they will just be great.

People say defenses can just take away Cruz and Nicks and have success against us, because that is what the Patriots did, and we don't have a clear cut third guy to capitalize. But lets not forget that what we saw vs the Patriots is a two week Bill Belicheck excellent game plan. It is really compromising to a defense to have to account for so much perimeter talent.

Cruz had his fair share of flukey plays, but like we saw going into halftime at San Francisco, Cruz can develop into an excellent possession WR as well.

And I'm saying this with the impression that our WRs will be guys listed on the roster right now. We could very possibly add a WR or TE to our offense through the draft.

gmen46
04-03-2012, 03:57 PM

Although 75% of his production came from the slot...but also, keep in mind, it wasnt as if Cruz success was bc of fluke, freak circumstances/situations. Yes, he had those amazing 70 plus yd plays, but i strongly believe that if those big td plays ended up as 20 yard gains opposed to 70 yard gains, he still would have had a helluva season, point being, his success wasnt predicated solely on those long YAC plays, it was his shiftiness, elusiveness, craftiness, and awareness that made him so successful, the big play TD's were just icing on the cake.Yeah Cruz flat out balled last year. Him and Eli are just going to have another year of chemistry.

I think Cruz is going to be an assassin this year, wherever he plays in the formation. I mean late in the year, teams just couldn't stop him, point blank. They will have a full offseason under their belt, and they will just be great.

People say defenses can just take away Cruz and Nicks and have success against us, because that is what the Patriots did, and we don't have a clear cut third guy to capitalize. But lets not forget that what we saw vs the Patriots is a two week Bill Belicheck excellent game plan. It is really compromising to a defense to have to account for so much perimeter talent.

Cruz had his fair share of flukey plays, but like we saw going into halftime at San Francisco, Cruz can develop into an excellent possession WR as well.

And I'm saying this with the impression that our WRs will be guys listed on the roster right now. We could very possibly add a WR or TE to our offense through the draft.

Exactly so.

The 2010 pre-season-game-against-the-Jets Cruz was a "flash in the pan"

The 2011 franchise-regular-season-record-setting-WR is not.

There have been literally hundreds, if not thousands, of NFL WRs with completed careers who never had the season Cruz had.

We do, however, need a reliable 3rd receiver (either WR or TE,as you say) who proves his ability to sync with Eli--as Nicks and Cruz have proven they do--by the end of Sept or 2nd week of next October, in order to maintain their thrilling passing offense of 2011.

timmytimm3
04-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Another thing to note is we couldn't run the ball in the 2nd half and had no TE as a receiving option. Teams double Nicks and Cruz we should be able to run or hit a TE.

Toadofsteel
04-03-2012, 04:24 PM
We need someone serviceable at the 3rd WR, but we don't need necessarily an MM or an SS12. With two powerhouse receivers drawing double coverage everywhere they go, you can add people from the depth chart, and Eli being the QB he is, will make it look easy. Thats why I fully believe JJ12, Hixon, or Barden will step up.

Tommy_Ribs
04-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Nicks will get locked up long term, he is not going anywhere and I believe they are working on a new deal now. He is a Priority, he can be an elite WR.

Cruz is my favorite on the GIANTS along with Eli, and I think we will sign him to a long-term deal as well. But we may not be able to as teams don't tend to spend big money on their #2 WRs. But I am hoping we can lock him up long-term.

Flip Empty
04-03-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm expecting a two or three year deal for Cruz and a massive five-year deal for Nicks.
Nicks was drafted to be the #1 guy for a long time.

Redeyejedi
04-04-2012, 01:02 AM

But that should make room to resign Cruz, Nicks, and JPP.Wow we would suck if all those guys left in 1 off season, 6 Starters at once

giantsfan420
04-04-2012, 02:07 AM
Nicks will get locked up long term, he is not going anywhere and I believe they are working on a new deal now.* He is a Priority, he can be an elite WR.

Cruz is my favorite on the GIANTS along with Eli, and I think we will sign him to a long-term deal as well.* But we may not be able to as teams don't tend to spend big money on their #2 WRs.* But I am hoping we can lock him up long-term.

i believe we'll extend Nicks long term, and give Cruz a semi-long term extension. Like Nicks will get a 6 yr deal lets say, and then Cruz will get a 4 yr deal with an option clause, that way we can re-sign Cruz at different time than Nicks and give us time to work on the cap should we want Nicks for another contract...

Cruz is more of a 1a WR instead of a 2, at least imho.

SweetZombieJesus
04-04-2012, 08:09 AM
In the past Reese has signed these kinds of guys to big contracts before they hit free agency, and even more importantly he gives them more money but gets bargain prices in the deal (such as Tuck who will also be coming up again).

gumby742
04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Keep Nicks jettison Cruz. With Eli playing the way he is, it won't matter as much anymore. I think it's possible that we can resign both, our defense will suffer though. Webster may be be gone, KP might be gone, Tuck might be gone, etc etc. Who knows. We'll turn into the Colts and Saints.