PDA

View Full Version : CONCERNS AT RUNNING BACK MAY AFFECT GIANTS' DRAFT

RoanokeFan
04-02-2012, 09:27 PM
CONCERNS AT RUNNING BACK MAY AFFECT GIANTS' DRAFT (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82808b4f/article/concerns-at-running-back-could-affect-giants-draft)

"In terms of sentences you don't want to
hear from your starting running back, "I just had bone marrow taken from my hip
and injected into my chronically ailing foot" probably isn't high up on the
list.Unfortunately for the Giants, this is the situation they find themselves in
with Ahmad Bradshaw (/players/ahmadbradshaw/profile?id=BRA254359). The
procedure will require three months of recovery time and keep the back out of
OTAs and minicamp, <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1333412724812_298" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8280784b" target="_blank">according to
the New York Post</a>.<div id="yui_3_4_1_1_1333412724812_87" class="articleText">

Were this another time in Giants history, there'd be less cause for concern
at the Meadowlands. Bradshaw and <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1333412724812_299" class="player-flyout" href="/players/brandonjacobs/profile?id=JAC705688">Brandon
Jacobs</a> were always 1A and 1B options for Tom Coughlin, but now Jacobs and his uncomfortable TD dances (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucK0Xu9DjfU&amp;feature=player_embedded) are in San Francisco. To
complicate matters, Andre Brown -- who was on track for a bigger role with the
team -- <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1333412724812_301" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d827fbd88" target="_blank">will miss the
first four games</a> of the 2012 season after violating the league's ban on
performance enhancing substances. The Giants also have D.J. Ware (/players/d.j.ware/profile?id=WAR350033) and Da'Rel Scott (/players/da%27relscott/profile?id=SCO227251) on the depth
chart.</p>

The uncertainty at the position could entice New York to add a body through
free agency or the draft. The Giants pick last in the first round, a downside of
winning a Super Bowl that the franchise can probably live with. Alabama's Trent
Richardson <a id="yui_3_4_1_1_1333412724812_304" href="http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts" target="_blank">is widely
believed</a> to be the only true first-round talent on the board, but he'll be
long gone before the Giants are on the clock.</p>

Of course, history has proven quality running backs can be found up-and-down
a draft board. For an example, look no further than Bradshaw, who was a
seventh-round selection out of Marshall in 2007."</p></div>

titwio
04-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I have this gut feeling the Giants are going to take Lamar Miller st 32....to my dismay.

dave56dj
04-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Reese will pick as he always does - BPA - ignoring need till 3rd through 5th. That said I love Wilson and hope he is best available when we are up. Just coach up that High and tight and I think we got a stud.

titwio
04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I like Wilson more also but Lamar could likely be considered the BPA when the Giants pick and it would be filling a need as well.

Much like the Kenny Phillips, Hakeem Nicks picks were. That's why I'm getting this gut feeling that Miller may be the pick...I'd prefer Wilson though as well.

gmen0820
04-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't think so. There are excellent options at almost every stage of the draft.

Doug Martin will have to be taken in the first. There is an outside chance that Miller or Wilson will be there in the second. Chris Polk is underrated, and he might be there in the 3rd (he might be the best receiving back, and he is nifty within the tackles). Ronnie Hillman, he has lead back potential with a 3rd round projection. Cyrus Gray is a personal favorite of mine, he can be had with out comp. pick in the 4th. Bobby Rainey is a workhorse, he might be there in the 5th.

Bernard Pierce, Tauren Poole are guys that can be had in the 4-6 rounds as well.

gmen0820
04-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I like Wilson more also but Lamar could likely be considered the BPA when the Giants pick and it would be filling as need as well.

Much like the Kenny Phillips, Hakeem Nicks picks were. That's why I'm getting this gut feeling that Miller may be the pick...I'd prefer Wilson though as well.Lamar Miller is a special guy. Great vision, breakaway speed, good hands, solid balance and power, and displays all of this in a smooth and effortless manner.

He could be BETTER than Portis.

titwio
04-02-2012, 09:46 PM

If the Giants pick him then this is what I'll be hoping...minus the injuries.

The thing I don't like about Miller so much is his balance. Also he's fast but not more so elusive. I'd prefer Cyrus Gray's elusiveness and Wilson's balance to him.

He's not bad...I'm just saying he's not who I prefer.

gmen0820
04-02-2012, 09:53 PM

If the Giants pick him then this is what I'll be hoping...minus the injuries.

The thing I don't like about Miller so much is his balance. Also he's fast but not more so elusive. I'd prefer Cyrus Gray's elusiveness and Wilson's balance to him.

He's not bad...I'm just saying he's not who I prefer.I get what you're saying. I'm a huge Gray fan, he might be more valuable in the fourth.

Miller is no slouch though. I wouldn't mind him, Wilson, or Gray really.

Evo'Ed
04-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Interesting analysis of the RB's our team is interested in, as I watch little to NO college football and have seen none of these players.

RB has shown to be a position where players can be found late in the draft (Ahmad 7th rd., Curtis Martin 4th rd., and Priest Holmes, undrafted).

There are so few Adrian Peterson's around nowadays.

Just watching some youtube clips, the best back of Miller, Wilson, and Martin IMO is Wilson; followed by Martin.

Wilson had some nice speed (gets to top speed really quick) and looks to lose very little speed out of cuts.

The only thing I saw was that the VT o-line opened up some nice holes for the guy to run through.

Miller looks a bit slower out of cuts and doesn't seem to accelerate as fast as Wilson but Miller has more top end speed.

Martin is pretty quick too but clearly not as fast.

Thoughts?

giantsfan420
04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
I like Wilson more also but Lamar could likely be considered the BPA when the Giants pick and it would be filling as need as well.

Much like the Kenny Phillips, Hakeem Nicks picks were. That's why I'm getting this gut feeling that Miller may be the pick...I'd prefer Wilson though as well.Lamar Miller is a special guy. Great vision, breakaway speed, good hands, solid balance and power, and displays all of this in a smooth and effortless manner.

i've been saying this for some time i know u have too.

but i think one of those rb prospects will be there late in the 2nd, maybe we move up to get whichever back is still available.

I dunno how Martin moved ahead of Wilson and Miller tho...good back but he doesnt have that homerun threat of Wilson/Miller.

And Miller doesn't avoid contact, he actually is more of a power back than Wilson is...I think Richardson is the only RB taken in the 1rst, which imo, leaves one of Wilson/Miller/Martin/James being available when we pick in the 2nd. James is more built like Jacobs, so I could see him being the pick as well.

I've been thinking this may be the most "fan friendly" draft we'll see outta the Giants for sometime. We have the depth at OL and DL, and at DB. We need those positional skill players and I wouldnt be surprised if WR/TE was the 1rst pick, RB the 2nd, and then BPA thereafter

NYG4lifeNYK
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
God I hope not...... I don't want to pick a RB high

gmen0820
04-03-2012, 12:17 AM

but i think one of those rb prospects will be there late in the 2nd, maybe we move up to get whichever back is still available.

I dunno how Martin moved ahead of Wilson and Miller tho...good back but he doesnt have that homerun threat of Wilson/Miller.

And Miller doesn't avoid contact, he actually is more of a power back than Wilson is...I think Richardson is the only RB taken in the 1rst, which imo, leaves one of Wilson/Miller/Martin/James being available when we pick in the 2nd. James is more built like Jacobs, so I could see him being the pick as well.

I've been thinking this may be the most "fan friendly" draft we'll see outta the Giants for sometime. We have the depth at OL and DL, and at DB. We need those positional skill players and I wouldnt be surprised if WR/TE was the 1rst pick, RB the 2nd, and then BPA thereafterI agree, there is a great chance we stock up on the skill positions. I'm barely even studying anything other than those skill positions.

I don't think OL is going to be a huge priority. Great QBs can mask a bad offensive line, as can great RBs, and I've seen very respected people confirm this notion.

I definitely see us drafting a D lineman though. Between Canty, Kiwi, and Osi, one of them will be gone (unfortunately), and someone has to be there to fill the void. Rolle is a possible release in the future, but I think his deal can be renegotiated in the future. Other than that, it is our skill position guys, namely Cruz and Nicks who will prove difficult to keep with the cap situation and other guys like KP, and JPP needing deals.

giantsfan420
04-03-2012, 01:33 AM

I've been thinking this may be the most "fan friendly" draft we'll see outta the Giants for sometime. We have the depth at OL and DL, and at DB. We need those positional skill players and I wouldnt be surprised if WR/TE was the 1rst pick, RB the 2nd, and then BPA thereafterI agree, there is a great chance we stock up on the skill positions. I'm barely even studying anything other than those skill positions.

I don't think OL is going to be a huge priority. Great QBs can mask a bad offensive line, as can great RBs, and I've seen very respected people confirm this notion.

I definitely see us drafting a D lineman though. Between Canty, Kiwi, and Osi, one of them will be gone (unfortunately), and someone has to be there to fill the void. Rolle is a possible release in the future, but I think his deal can be renegotiated in the future. Other than that, it is our skill position guys, namely Cruz and Nicks who will prove difficult to keep with the cap situation and other guys like KP, and JPP needing deals.

yeah,i think i commented in ur mock thread where we pick devon still. if he's there, i could see that being the pick. as i said in that thread, he's probably the "safest" most nfl ready prospect of the draft even. he could come in right away and be part of the rotation.

the only hesitation that makes me think its unlikely is we invested a 2nd in Austin, just as we did with L.Joseph. I think most of our DL are 2nd rounders...but I dunno i feel if we draft Still in the 1rst, it concedes we're giving up on Austin which I just dont see likely yet.

Although I do agree that DL could prob be one of our earlier round picks...

U mention Rolle, and while I just cannot see us releasing him (reese gave him that mega contract for a reason, his skillset warranted it imo) and would instead just come to terms on a new, cap friendly contract with him. But lets say Barron is available, I could see him being the pick. But, I kinda consider S a skill position, at least in the sense with Rolle and Phillips already penciled in as starters, Barron would prob be that 3rd safety/lb role, but then again, I also have maintained for a long time now ( i believe u have too) that T2 is actually better suited for that role than a perimeter CB.

typically, the 1rst round pick is a guy u want starting, as early as possible. (even tho we pick at 32 i think that philosphy still holds true)
Lets go through our starters and see where a "hole" is that we could draft and fill/improve upon.

Eli-obviously not going after a qb early.
Bradshaw- Health is an issue, could be a RB as I believe AB is best as the complimentary back now with his feet issues and durability issues plus he is more effective when he is used in a way that keeps him fresh.

Nicks/Cruz-Awesome starting WR's, but with the ?? of "can we re-sign both to somewhat reasonable contracts?" WR, especially with the loss of MM, is a position that needs attention.

Bennett- Ballard/Bennett both 1 yr contracts, Beckum is prob done, and Pascoe is a nice 3rd or 2nd TE option. Like WR, i feel this position needs attention at least to the point that if the BPA is a TE, FLeener, Reese wouldnt pass on him.

Beatty- Unlike many for some reason, I believe he did a good job esp considering he's still a young player and actually held his own against the top pass rushers in the NFCE and thus the NFL.
Boothe- Did admirably, but could be upgraded. Is LG worthy of a 1rst round selection??I just dont see that being Reese/Giants philosophy.
Baas-Big contract, not bigtime play although juries still out on him. And like G, is a 1rst round pick worth a C?
Snee-Set.
RT-?? I could see Diehl/Brewer there, could be upgraded, but I dont know if we even took an OT at 32 if the staff woul trust him to start right away. But still, OT could be a possiblity.

Tuck-Set
Jpp-Set...Especially with Osi still on the roster. If he goes in whatever manner, DE could very well be the pick although we do have Kiwi.
Canty/Joseph-I addressed this earlier in the thread, Still makes sense for a few reasons.

LB-Kwi, Boley, MLB? If Kuechly is there he's the pick no doubt imho, even if he somehow slips to like 25, I could see us moving up for him. Still besides that, not worthy of a 1rst or 2nd considering the talent level in this draft plus would we play him right away? G.Jones playing was more of an emergency than him being the best man for the job.

CB-Set, we signed so many guys and have Prince, plus T2 returning and Webbi, nuff said.

S-alluded earlier that it could be a pick if Barrons there.

So, according to my breakdown, we have RB, WR, TE, RT, and then like 1A in terms of need, DT, MLB and S

I think this is gonna be a very "fan friendly" draft, just my .2

Spedracer
04-03-2012, 07:53 AM
I've been thinking this may be the most "fan friendly" draft we'll see outta the Giants for sometime. We have the depth at OL and DL, and at DB. We need those positional skill players and I wouldnt be surprised if WR/TE was the 1rst pick, RB the 2nd, and then BPA thereafter

I wholeheartedly disagree. The depth at RB in this draft allows Reese to get a higher degree of talent...later, which I believe he will do. Same goes for WR. There are HUGE questions at Oline and It is a high priority.

Not to get off subject but TE will not be our first round selection. It won't happen.

JR will end up waiting until the 3rd round to address RB position. If there is a frenzy, as there always seems to be...he might move up in the third to pick a targeted guy.

I also get the impression that he believes more in what he has than in what he might get.

Bolster the Line to make whomever we stick back there look good.

nygsb42champs
04-03-2012, 08:58 AM
They need to add a RB big time. Ware has done nothing with his chances and Scott is unproven.

NJ10
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't mind Lamar Miller or Doug Martin. Bradshaw cant handle a huge workload, Ware is ok, nothing special, and jury still out on Da'rell Scott. I trust Reese will make the right call with whoever he takes in the 1st round.

GfieldGmen
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
We need a beefed up stronger O-line to make the RBs on the current roster look better.

JMFP2
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Giants need a running back that can take over in the near term. They can't rely on Bradshaw lasting a full season with the condition of his feet.

drbones
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM
We need a beefed up stronger O-line to make the RBs on the current roster look better.

on the nose