PDA

View Full Version : Our third receiver will be Dan DePalma.

THE_New_York_Giants
04-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Prediction made here first.
have fun with it.

NYG4ME
04-03-2012, 01:29 AM
What are the odds lightning strikes twice for us? I'm sure the writers and us as fans would have a field day with that. First cruz and then him... Crazy if it happens.

NY_Eli
04-03-2012, 01:57 AM
I think it will be Jernigan. This organization expects 3rd round picks to play a big role on the team. All signs point to Jernigan being groomed for the job.

giantsfan420
04-03-2012, 02:01 AM
I think it will be Jernigan. This organization expects 3rd round picks to play a big role on the team. All signs point to Jernigan being groomed for the job.

well it depends. as the 3rd WR used to line up out wide, I dunno if JJ is that guy. I'd say Barden/Hixon make more sense on the perimeter.
But if the 3rd WR is gonna be used in the slot, then absofrigginglutely JJ. His play out of the slot reminds me a ton of Cruz in terms of being slippery and elusive, would LOVE if he can be our slot WR and Cruz to be used more out of the perimeter...

NY_Eli
04-03-2012, 02:44 AM

well it depends. as the 3rd WR used to line up out wide, I dunno if JJ is that guy. I'd say Barden/Hixon make more sense on the perimeter.
But if the 3rd WR is gonna be used in the slot, then absofrigginglutely JJ. His play out of the slot reminds me a ton of Cruz in terms of being slippery and elusive, would LOVE if he can be our slot WR and Cruz to be used more out of the perimeter...

Ok...should have specified 'slot receiver'. I believe DePalma is a slot guy as well.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of different packages though, with Cruz playing some slot and wide. I agree if Cruz is inside Barden or Hixon seem like better options outside.

giantsfan420
04-03-2012, 03:42 AM

Ok...should have specified 'slot receiver'. I believe DePalma is a slot guy as well.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of different packages though, with Cruz playing some slot and wide. I agree if Cruz is inside Barden or Hixon seem like better options outside.

and i too agree that we'll see plenty of packages with cruz out of the slot and out wide...seriously, makes no sense to move him out of the slot UNLESS the staff feels he can be more effective out wide, which to be honest, i believe he can. case in point, watch a play vs GB in the postseason where Cruz runs a fake double move streak only to cut off the route on a sharp comeback that netter 18 yards with a tiptoe catch down the sideline. with just his route, he deeked out the cb and s, which is pretty damn excellent.

but again, 75% of his production came from the slot. whatever the case is, its a pretty awesome problem or decision i should say, to have.

u got any fiml on deplama? never seen him play...

Jon6777
04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Nicks and Cruz are both very flexible. Both can be used inside or outside as WR's, we just have to find someone to complement them both.

Captain Chaos
04-03-2012, 06:32 AM
We need someone that can stretch the field, someone to take Manningham's spot...

NY_Eli
04-03-2012, 07:50 AM

and i too agree that we'll see plenty of packages with cruz out of the slot and out wide...seriously, makes no sense to move him out of the slot UNLESS the staff feels he can be more effective out wide, which to be honest, i believe he can. case in point, watch a play vs GB in the postseason where Cruz runs a fake double move streak only to cut off the route on a sharp comeback that netter 18 yards with a tiptoe catch down the sideline. with just his route, he deeked out the cb and s, which is pretty damn excellent.

but again, 75% of his production came from the slot. whatever the case is, its a pretty awesome problem or decision i should say, to have.

u got any fiml on deplama? never seen him play...

I don't think much of the 75% thing...if I had to guess I'd say that was a result of Manningham being effective on the outside and not having anyone to fill SS12's spot. Not necessarily indicative of his skills but more of the need to fill a void. I agree he has great potential on the outside.

But going back to the original point of this thread, if Jernigan is able to translate his agility to the pros he will be tough to stop. Watching vids of him in college is inspiring, the guy can turn his hips so quickly it's tough to know where he's going. Ideal for the slot.

nygsb42champs
04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
That is a real long shot at best.

Shockeystays08
04-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Jernigan will out play him by a long shot. Those out there that have no faith in Jerell are going be saying to themselves "what was I thinking" in about 9 months. He has speed, hands, toughness, moves and excelleration. He played just as effectively against Clemson and Florida State as he did against Marshall and North Texas type teams. Look at his highlights, his production and his skill set. Folks need to quit judging him on his shaky start with punt returns in pre season. No mini camp, no OTA , no nothing. Reese spent an 3 on him for a reason. He is the man to take over # 3 and the Giants front office is counting on it. I do however like DePalma and hope he makes the team. I think Barden is a lost cause.

THE_New_York_Giants
04-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Jernigan will out play him by a long shot. Those out there that have no faith in Jerell are going be saying to themselves "what was I thinking" in about 9 months. He has speed, hands, toughness, moves and excelleration. He played just as effectively against Clemson and Florida State as he did against Marshall and North Texas type teams. Look at his highlights, his production and his skill set. Folks need to quit judging him on his shaky start with punt returns in pre season. No mini camp, no OTA , no nothing. Reese spent an 3 on him for a reason. He is the man to take over # 3 and the Giants front office is counting on it. I do however like DePalma and hope he makes the team. I think Barden is a lost cause. Jernigan is a stud. But when I read articles about how our best corner says that DePalma is the hardest guy on the team to cover, that makes me wonder.

BlueSanta
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
My problem is that we need an outside guy to replace MM more than moving cruz outside and putting someone new into the position he dominated. In recent years, Eli has shown he is at his best using the Slot guy. Cruz's stats show he was a batter slot receiver than outside guy.

In 2 Wr sets I think Cruz will be out other outside guy, but on 3 wr sets I think Cruz moves inside and we put someone else outside. I do not think that will be JJ or DePalma, who are both natural slot guys.

Shockeystays08
04-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Jernigan will out play him by a long shot. Those out there that have no faith in Jerell are going be saying to themselves "what was I thinking" in about 9 months. He has speed, hands, toughness, moves and excelleration. He played just as effectively against Clemson and Florida State as he did against Marshall and North Texas type teams. Look at his highlights, his production and his skill set. Folks need to quit judging him on his shaky start with punt returns in pre season. No mini camp, no OTA , no nothing. Reese spent an 3 on him for
a reason. He is the man to take over # 3 and the Giants front
office is counting on it. I do however like DePalma and hope he
makes the team. I think Barden is a lost cause. Jernigan
is a stud. But when I read articles about how our best corner
says that DePalma is the hardest guy on the team to cover, that
makes me wonder.

That quote is an attention getter. I also may have overstated the out play him by a longshot thing. Nicks, Cruz, Jernigan, Depalma and maybeMcNutt, White, or Childs from the draft????