PDA

View Full Version : Alshon Jeffery meets with the giants

BluGiantPies
04-03-2012, 01:39 PM
Alshon Jeffery met with the giants Kevin m gibride at his pro day. Personally I like Jeffrey and think he could step right in and be the z receiver for our offense. This time last yr if u said Jeffery could be a giant I'd have laughed at u.

Tommy_Ribs
04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I watch a lot of SEC Football (Wife went to Georgia) and I have always liked how productive Jeffery was at South Carolina with average (at Best) QB play.

I think he is in the mold of a Poor-man's Anquan Boldin type guy.

Mike Mayock and a few other analysts are worried about him maintaining a 215 lb weight (He played at close to 225-230) and they said he does not separate from coverage well.

However, I think Gilbride will target receivers that are big and smart, and can run the right sight options on their route.

A smart receiver will do well in our system.

gmen0820
04-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Jeffrey is okay, would rather have Marvin Jones in the second or third round. He can play the X, Y, and Z.

Kruunch
04-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Seems like the Giants are really zeroing on choosing a receiver in the 2nd round.

BlueSanta
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I have no problem with his play. I just worry about his past weight problems. That has to concern anyone who drafts him.

NCGiant23
04-03-2012, 04:48 PM
I really don't know why everyone seems to want us to spend a high draft pick on a WR. WR is a need, but not as big of our our needs at TE, LB, and OT imo. Alshon wouldn't be a bad pick at 32, but it wouldn't be a great pick depending on who's left on the board.

Tommy_Ribs
04-03-2012, 05:35 PM
I really don't know why everyone seems to want us to spend a high draft pick on a WR. WR is a need, but not as big of our our needs at TE, LB, and OT imo. Alshon wouldn't be a bad pick at 32, but it wouldn't be a great pick depending on who's left on the board.

I think that Reese will go BPA early, don't you?

Neverend
04-03-2012, 05:43 PM
I have no problem with his play. I just worry about his past weight problems. That has to concern anyone who drafts him.

Agreed. I don't like how some fans are brushing it off because of Nicks. Nicks was injured

The weight gain in Alshon's case could be a sign of Jeffery's work ethic or complacency

If he can keep his weight down in the nfl as he promises, would be perfectly OK. He might have the best ball skills and range going up for the ball in this draft class. He looks like he's 6'7 when going up for the ball and has a really intimidating frame and upper body that makes him look bigger than he is

Neverend
04-03-2012, 05:46 PM
I really don't know why everyone seems to want us to spend a high draft pick on a WR.* WR is a need, but not as big of our our needs at TE, LB, and OT imo.* Alshon wouldn't be a bad pick at 32, but it wouldn't be a great pick depending on who's left on the board.

I think that Reese will go BPA early, don't you?

Yeah, but unlike years past I can't see anyone taking a real dive.

Even if they do, we have new england at 31 who would love to trade down to a team that wants to a nab a player. The only top prospect I can see falling is devon still or kendall wright. MAYBE mercilus and nick perry

Shockeyitus
04-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Seems like the Giants are really zeroing on choosing a receiver in the 2nd round.

If they go WR in round two... there are only a few guys that I like..

Mohamaed Sanu
Alshon Jeffery

Round 3:

Nick Toon
Marvin McNutt

Shockeystays08
04-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I really don't know why everyone seems to want us to spend a high draft pick on a WR.* WR is a need, but not as big of our our needs at TE, LB, and OT imo.* Alshon wouldn't be a bad pick at 32, but it wouldn't be a great pick depending on who's left on the board.

I'm baffled by any push to use a high pick on a WR also. We have such greater needs. Maybe round 5 or 6 Mcnutt,White,Childs...........

lawl
04-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Good. I think WR and dt are our biggest needs.

slipknottin
04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm baffled by any push to use a high pick on a WR also. We have such greater needs.

Teams will double Nicks and Cruz...

The giants offense will go through the third receiving option, Bennett, another TE, or a #3 WR.

titwio
04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I hope he's visiting with a lot of other teams too. I'm not big on Jeffery and I don't like him at all for the Giants. Not saying he's not good but I don't like what he would bring/add to the corps.

There's guys in later rounds I'd be happier with over him and not spend as a high of a pick. Personally I think he ends up a Jet.

myles2424
04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm baffled by any push to use a high pick on a WR also. We have such greater needs.

The giants offense will go through the third receiving option, Bennett, another TE, or a #3 WR. exactly....our ground game has been crap,teams are going to gameplan around nicks/Cruz..

dave56dj
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
I absolutely love this new theory that you cna just double cruz and nicks and think your gonna be successful - do you realize the pats ran many doubles on the outside and Nicks caught 10 BALLS FOR OVER A 100 YARDS. Doubling both guys on the outside is a near impossibility on a regular basis. And it will make things much simpler for guys running option routes -wether it be jernigan/ barden or hixon. Not to mention Bennett killing LB'S one on one or AB.

A third wideout would be nice but yeah he's going BPA - cause he ALWAYS does.

To me needs are in order.

RB - with brown out 4 games - no ota's for AB that leaves us kind of thin.
TE - Even with Bennett just not many bodies here (bascoe hopkins and another reclamation fa)
DT - Nice starters with Joseph and Canty - but no experience in rotation. Austin has been out 2 years.
LB - most controversial spot since we have no studs here - but Kiwi plays run well - boley may move to middle and J will showed great promise. Not to mention a host of young potential in Herzlich/ Paysinger and Jones - still no studs here so it might be nice early.

S - KP contract is coming up and Rolle is overpaid - not much behind either guy and grant is gone - sash maybe a prospect and then the two fa reclamation projects.

WR - I could be wrong but i think the giants think the 3rd guy is in house and i think they believe it will be Jernigan - no way they give up on the kid after one year with no ota's and barely an offseason

Despite this ranking it means nothing for the draft as the giants only draft need 3-5. I love what ive seen of wilson on tape - but i never fall in love with draftees cause the gmen always surprise.

BluGiantPies
04-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Its not really about the doubling of Cruz or nicks for me its about having one of the best qbs in the NFL. We took a step forward in passing offense last year and I want to take another this yr. Look at the qb stats last yr, look how many qbs threw for 5000 yrds or close. The NFL is a passing league now. Don't you as a fan want to see your favorite team at the top of the standings every year I know I do. How many teams can score thirty five points almost every week? The packers, the saints, and the patriots. What do these teams have in common? Elite qbs and air it out offenses. It doesn't matter if your defense gives up almost thirty points every game if your scoring thirty five. Gentlemen we are right on the cusp of becoming one of the elite air it out score thirty five points a game offenses, all we need is one more semi elite pass catcher to put us over the hump and into that territory. I believe with all my heart that the giants believe this as well which is why we've meet with Stephen hill, alshon Jeffery, rueben randle, Greg childs, and Mohammed sanu. Out of all these receivers Jeffery is the most ready to make an impact right away. Did anyone watch what he did to alphonzo dennard in SC's bowl game he was torching him before dennard got angry about it and picked a fight so both were ejected. He would have had over two hundred yards that game if that didn't happen. All those elite offenses saints pack pats non of them has a pass rush like ours. With a little luck injury wise and offensive line chemistry we could have the makings of a dynasty if our offense takes that jump and becomes elite. I've said my peice I know many of you will disagree and say that drafting a wide out in the first is crazy talk but if it happens I am gonna be one happy giants fan.

myles2424
04-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I'd rather wait until the 3rd for a WR.....I'd love to have Joe Adams, return beast, senior bowl beast, played well in the sec....

rainierjef
04-04-2012, 06:36 AM
alshon jeffery / coby fleener / tommy streeter / greg childs / marvin mcnutt i dont care just add weapons to the offense. the defense got people coming back, were still recuperating from the lack of TE's on this team.

Mr. Zolo
04-04-2012, 08:11 AM
br>However, I think Gilbride will target receivers that are big and smart, and can run the right sight options on their route.

I was thinking Stephen Hill would be a better option than Jeffery. He would fill in the role role Mario had and I don't think he'd have the problems that Mario had (running wrong routes, running to close to the sideline).

Redeyejedi
04-04-2012, 09:17 AM
br>However, I think Gilbride will target receivers that are big and smart, and can run the right sight options on their route.

I was thinking Stephen Hill would be a better option than Jeffery. He would fill in the role role Mario had and I don't think he'd have the problems that Mario had (running wrong routes, running to close to the sideline).Why Hill is not a good route runner at all and has suspect hands. Could he develop sure but he is judged primarily on physical attributes then being a skilled WR.

nycsportzfan
04-04-2012, 09:31 AM
Agreed. I don't like how some fans are brushing it off because of Nicks. Nicks was injured The weight gain in Alshon's case could be a sign of Jeffery's work ethic or complacency If he can keep his weight down in the nfl as he promises, would be perfectly OK. He might have the best ball skills and range going up for the ball in this draft class. He looks like he's 6'7 when going up for the ball and has a really intimidating frame and upper body that makes him look bigger than he is It'd be another typical Jerry Reese steal in my opinion.. Last yr, i was craving this kid to be part of our giants, and reese realizes who Jeffery had at QB, which was nothing pretty, and probably realizes hes dealing with the same player, except now that player would have eli throwing him the ball and not the slop he had... Jeffery is gonna be good, in my opinon.. I here ya on the weight thing, but i don't think its that outta control, where your talking TE or something.. Were talking about a kid who weighs 216lbs at 6ft 3inch tall.. If he was 229-235 or so, i'd wonder what was up, but 216 is nothing...

BlueSanta
04-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Agreed. I don't like how some fans are brushing it off because of Nicks. Nicks was injured The weight gain in Alshon's case could be a sign of Jeffery's work ethic or complacency If he can keep his weight down in the nfl as he promises, would be perfectly OK. He might have the best ball skills and range going up for the ball in this draft class. He looks like he's 6'7 when going up for the ball and has a really intimidating frame and upper body that makes him look bigger than he is It'd be another typical Jerry Reese steal in my opinion.. Last yr, i was craving this kid to be part of our giants, and reese realizes who Jeffery had at QB, which was nothing pretty, and probably realizes hes dealing with the same player, except now that player would have eli throwing him the ball and not the slop he had... Jeffery is gonna be good, in my opinon.. I here ya on the weight thing, but i don't think its that outta control, where your talking TE or something.. Were talking about a kid who weighs 216lbs at 6ft 3inch tall.. If he was 229-235 or so, i'd wonder what was up, but 216 is nothing...

Still, the wieght worries me. I certainly appreciate the fact that he went into serious training this offseason to show his commitment to address his well documented weight problems. The same goes for Chris Polk who has had a remarkable physical transformation since the senior bowl.

However, I cant help but look and worry at some of his film where he clearly weighed a LOT more then he does now. In fact, I cannot see any film of him where he didnt appear to be well over his current weight.

Losing weight is never a bad thing, but then again having a weight issue is never a good thing either.

This is a kid, who if he had played at 216 during his college career, might be the 1st WR taken in the draft. He is also a kid who at times looked like he might end up as a H-back in the NFL because he was so big.

Neverend
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Were talking about a kid who weighs 216lbs at 6ft 3inch tall.. If he was 229-235 or so, i'd wonder what was up, but 216 is nothing...

http://www.frumpzilla.com/frumpzilla_site/articles/south-carolinas-alshon-jeffrey-is-apparently-ready-to-blow-up/

I think if you look at his body, you can see man breasts and not the most leanest tummy in the world. Might've been around 240 then, but thats just a wild guess

Anyway, I agree with everything else you said. Jeffery can excel with a QB that knows how to use his talents (jump balls, underthrown balls, floaters)

TuckYou
04-04-2012, 03:00 PM
I was a huge fan of this guy DURING the season. He has everything you could ask for in a reciever really. But, he totally slacked off in the offseason and that to me showsa lack of discipline and desire. I put him in the same mold as Vontaze Burfect. Maybe not as extreme though. </P>

I originally thought Alshon would be a top 10 pick. So his talent is there for sure. But can the Giants keep him motivated and happy? He would be behind Nicks and Cruz for sure. </P>

Personally, I would take Stephen Hill over him. Jeffery could be another Michael Crabtree or Mike Williams. </P>

</P>

critters
04-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Outside of one old photo and a story from earlier this year that proved to be false... what are all these "well documented" issues about Alshon's weight?

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
I dont know how anyone DOESNT have a problem with Jeffery's play.

He does not separate, at all in college, from corners who are nowhere near as talented as the guys in the NFL.

Yes he has a good catching radius and he is a big body. All of which is meaningless if he cant create space to get the ball.

Im not even going to get into the weight issue.

Kase-1
04-04-2012, 03:22 PM
alshon jeffery / coby fleener / tommy streeter / greg childs / marvin mcnutt i dont care just add weapons to the offense. the defense got people coming back, were still recuperating from the lack of TE's on this team.
I gotta disagree with ya on this one.

I wouldnt mind a WR like Criner in the 4th or 5th, but I dont want a high pick on a WR or any offensive position other than OT. Its mainly our D that needs help, we have 3 DT's and 1 of them hasnt played in 2yrs, we have 3 safety's (plus PS players), we have a DE of questionable health, and 1 DE that may leave after the season.... To me that says look at the defense

I know we are somewhat thin at TE, but Pascoe proved he could be the next in line of 'good' TEs like Boss and Ballard, and who knows what we got in Bennett, Im intrigued. That along with Beckham supposedly coming back earlier than thought from his injury is good enough for me

Raptor22
04-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Outside of one old photo and a story from earlier this year that proved to be false... what are all these "well documented" issues about Alshon's weight?

Well, he played a little heavier than he probably wanted to in a run-heavy offense that required he be a good blocker. Then he lost weight after he didn't have to be in that system any more. Obviously he is lazy despite the coaching staff saying he one of the hardest workers on the team.

Also, his drop in production is ALL on him, despite having 1 QB who has a huge problem with alcohol and got kicked off the team, 1 QB who may or may not be able to hit the ground if he fell on it, and their only other offensive weapon (Marcus Lattimore) going down half way through the season, allowing defenses to key in on him pretty much exclusively.

He's obviously a bum and shouldn't even be drafted.

nycsportzfan
04-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Were talking about a kid who weighs 216lbs at 6ft 3inch tall.. If he was 229-235 or so, i'd wonder what was up, but 216 is nothing... http://www.frumpzilla.com/frumpzilla_site/articles/south-carolinas-alshon-jeffrey-is-apparently-ready-to-blow-up/ I think if you look at his body, you can see man breasts and not the most leanest tummy in the world. Might've been around 240 then, but thats just a wild guess Anyway, I agree with everything else you said. Jeffery can excel with a QB that knows how to use his talents (jump balls, underthrown balls, floaters) Your right about that body, my lord...lol Thats about as out of shape as it gets right there..lol </P>

But again, when talking last pick of RD 1, and your getting a TOP 5type talent overall, with really your only worry, trying to keep him in shape, and if u do that, you got the perfect QB for him, as well as a strong supporting cast of pass catchers at the positon, its certainly worth the risk... </P>

Don't get me wrong, hes not my number 1 target, but certainly a guy i would consider, and do have on my top 10hopefuls of rd 1...</P>

radar-ray
04-04-2012, 05:18 PM

The giants offense will go through the third receiving option, Bennett, another TE, or a #3 WR.This. We also need to get the running game going.