PDA

View Full Version : TOM COUGHLIN WANTS TO COACH THE GIANTS INTO HIS 70'S

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 06:50 PM
TOM COUGHLIN WANTS TO COACH THE GIANTS INTO HIS 70'S (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/tom_coughlin_wants_to_coach_the_giants_into_his_70 s/10473217)

"During an online segment on ESPN.com, NFL insider Chris Mortensen (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7734781) stated
that New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin wants to coach into his 70's
because of how much he loves Eli Manning.

Im told even at his age, he wants to coach into his 70's. And the reason
why he wants to coach into his 70's is because he loves his quarterback Eli
Manning, said Mortensen.</p>

Coughlin will turn 66 right before the 2012 regular season begins. I would
think Manning has at least another five to six years left in him. I dont see
Coughlin retiring unless he ends up getting fired somehow or Manning
retires."</p>

titwio
04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
I thought he was already in them :/

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 07:04 PM
I think a 4 or 5 year contract would be reasonable.

byron
04-03-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't know why but I'm thinking more like extendtwo years...Its not like he needs the money is it really that important to be guaranteed a job and payfor 5...Idk they can add years down the road if all is well....

Bigbluereckingcrew
04-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't know why but I'm thinking more like extend*two years...Its not like he needs the money is it really that important to be guaranteed a job and pay*for 5...Idk they can add years down the road if all is well....

And the issue is....he has won 2 Superbowl in 4 years, give him whatever he wants

derekunion28
04-03-2012, 07:43 PM
SELL HIM YOUR KIDS

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 07:57 PM
I don't know why but I'm thinking more like extendtwo years...Its not like he needs the money is it really that important to be guaranteed a job and payfor 5...Idk they can add years down the road if all is well....

The front office thrives on continuity. I believe they want Coughlin and Glbride to ride into the sunset WITH Eli, not ahead of him. We have what one could argue is the best WR duo in the NFL and they are Y O U N G enough to stay here as ling as Eli is the QB.

They could make worse decisions than to sign Coughlin to a long term deal. They can afford it, it doesn't affect the CAP, and I just don't see TC looking at exorbitant $$$.

fletch842
04-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't know why but I'm thinking more like extend*two years...Its not like he needs the money is it really that important to be guaranteed a job and pay*for 5...Idk they can add years down the road if all is well....

The front office thrives on continuity.* I believe they want Coughlin and Glbride to ride into the sunset WITH Eli, not ahead of him.* We have what one could argue is the best WR duo in the NFL and they are Y O U N G enough to stay here as ling as Eli is the QB.

They could make worse decisions than to sign Coughlin to a long term deal.* They can afford it, it doesn't affect the CAP, and I just don't see TC looking at exorbitant $$$.

Helping his cause, is the tremendous shape he keeps himself in.

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 08:13 PM

The front office thrives on continuity. I believe they want Coughlin and Glbride to ride into the sunset WITH Eli, not ahead of him. We have what one could argue is the best WR duo in the NFL and they are Y O U N G enough to stay here as ling as Eli is the QB.

They could make worse decisions than to sign Coughlin to a long term deal. They can afford it, it doesn't affect the CAP, and I just don't see TC looking at exorbitant $$$.

Helping his cause, is the tremendous shape he keeps himself in.

Interestingly enough, after the Super Bowl win, John Mara was asked about TC's future and the first thing he said was about what great shape TC is in.

byron
04-03-2012, 08:48 PM

</P>

man I know no more about what this front office is thinking or what TC wants than anybody else around here....I could see a two year deal just a feeling I havebased on nothing...just making conversation...Now if TC is asking for a 4 or 5 year deal I can surely see that happening and I agree I doubt he would be asking for big dollars...I wasn't lobbing for anything herereally</P>

Martyr
04-03-2012, 08:48 PM
<FONT color=#ff0000>Keep giving him 1-2 year deals with him on the hot seat every year, maybe he'll win moresuper bowls that way.</FONT></P>

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
<font color="#ff0000">Keep giving him 1-2 year deals with him on the hot seat every year, maybe he'll win moresuper bowls that way.</font></p>

If you believe the past foretells the future, he'd have two more rings in five years.

byron
04-03-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't know why but I'm thinking more like extendtwo years...Its not like he needs the money is it really that important to be guaranteed a job and payfor 5...Idk they can add years down the road if all is well.... And the issue is....he has won 2 Superbowl in 4 years, give him whatever he wants no issue man justmaking a comment...and Iknow full well what he has done here....they will come to an agreement that I'm sure off thatand I'm sure it will be fair one...</P>

</P>

edit: took your comment wrong...sorry</P>

giantsfan420
04-03-2012, 09:09 PM
since peyton isnt a colt anymore, and both he and brady, and to an extent Brees, are getting up there in age....

the giants and packers have the best situation at QB with respects to the HC/OC...

think about that for a sec...i said this months ago, but really, we are spoiled. everyday we should be thankful that we as fans of the giants are in this situation...

25 or so other teams would KILL to be in our situation.

Plus, Eli is not going to stop getting better. WHy would TC not want to stay with him? He's got a player coach on the field on offense...seriously, not ONE losing season since he's been the starter, lmfao, its amazing that so many were ready to run both TC and Eli out of town...

NYG4lifeNYK
04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
As long as you want to coach Tom I'm with you brother... you have my blessing [Y]

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 09:22 PM
As long as you want to coach Tom I'm with you brother... you have my blessing [Y]

So let it be written, so let it be done [;)]

BigBlueHits
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Tom Coughlin seems to have more energy and fire left in him than most men a third of his age.

RoanokeFan
04-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Tom Coughlin seems to have more energy and fire left in him than most men a third of his age.

Let's hope he continues to bring the team along as he has so far.

chasjay
04-03-2012, 10:20 PM
The following are things I believe, I can't defend them with facts - so here goes.

Tom Coughlin is a principled man and respects others who are principled and dedicated to the tasks they choose for themselves. He works for an Owner(s) who are of the same mind. He has a talented QB (Field General, if you will) of the same mind. His son-in-law (the father of his grandchildren) plays for him and is, to my knowledge, also a principled person. He has good men who used to play for him (Michael Strahan, for instance) who speak in his support. He has talented young players who are also quality people (Hakeem Nicks, JPP) who are attentive to his instruction. He has good men serving on his staff (Gilbride, Fewell and others) who represent his way of of presenting the the team as 'family'.

I hope he does coach into his 70's - both for his good and for my own good as a fan - because I believe the Giants will be figuring out how to get more than 4 Lombardi's on a ring if he does.

But then I'm always the optimist.

Bing Crosby
04-03-2012, 10:53 PM

So am I. I feel good about what we have here, and don't see any reason we can't win a few more Lombardi's before Eli decides to retire. Then again I personally think that Eli has more then 5-6 years left in him.

nycisgreat
04-03-2012, 11:14 PM

+1

gmen46
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
The following are things I believe, I can't defend them with facts - so here goes.

Tom Coughlin is a principled man and respects others who are principled and dedicated to the tasks they choose for themselves. He works for an Owner(s) who are of the same mind. He has a talented QB (Field General, if you will) of the same mind. His son-in-law (the father of his grandchildren) plays for him and is, to my knowledge, also a principled person. He has good men who used to play for him (Michael Strahan, for instance) who speak in his support. He has talented young players who are also quality people (Hakeem Nicks, JPP) who are attentive to his instruction. He has good men serving on his staff (Gilbride, Fewell and others) who represent his way of of presenting the the team as 'family'.

I hope he does coach into his 70's - both for his good and for my own good as a fan - because I believe the Giants will be figuring out how to get more than 4 Lombardi's on a ring if he does.

You took the very thoughts in my mind and put them on "paper", so to speak.

What it is, shall always be....

Drez
04-03-2012, 11:43 PM
SELL HIM YOUR KIDS

Beer almost came out of my nose at this one. Dangerously close. LMAO

Drez
04-03-2012, 11:45 PM
He actually started to look younger at the end of the season. But then again, winning will do that to you.

Bluesmash
04-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Coughlin was born two months before me, and we both work out every day. I have no plans of quitting either..Go Tom!

chasjay
04-03-2012, 11:56 PM
SELL HIM YOUR KIDS

Funny - and I don't take it as mean-spirited. But you could do worse by your kids than what you suggest - and, sadly, too many do.

Go Giants!

jjj45
04-04-2012, 12:16 AM

http://www.libertasfilmmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/yulbrynner.jpg

Bohemian
04-04-2012, 12:30 AM
If he keeps winning Super Bowls, I don't care if he coach us from the afterlife... he stays if he wins. He could be in an oxygen tank in the sidelines, and I would not care as long as we won... he could be sunk into a formaldehyde tank and I would not care as long as we keep collecting Lombardi trophies.

timmytimm3
04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm just reminded of the end of the 2010 season where we fell apart and missed the playoffs with a 10-6 record. Everyone wanted Tom and Eli out of town. With the shortened off season, ownership wanted continuity and resigned Tom. Eli responded with his best season as a pro, and we have another Superbowl title.

I love the idea of keeping Tom, Eli, the coaching staff, and the core players together for the next 4-6 years. We have a chance at a title every year.

BLUE

Toadofsteel
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
If he keeps winning Super Bowls, I don't care if he coach us from the afterlife... he stays if he wins.* He could be in an oxygen tank in the sidelines, and I would not care as long as we won... he could be sunk into a formaldehyde tank and I would not care as long as we keep collecting Lombardi trophies.

We need to invent Futurama Head-in-a-jar technology, pronto!

GameTime
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM
I stand by what I have been saying for a while. He will coach through the 2014 season where he will have the opportunity to HC a team in the SB in his own house. Either way after 2014 he calls it quits. Just my opinion.

GreenZone
04-04-2012, 12:58 PM
"Let's now head on over to NFL insider Mort Mortenson at the Wonderlic offices. Mort, what do we know?"

Mort: "My exclusive sources are telling me that Tom Coughlin is the coach of the New York Giants. Further, they state that he is negotiating an extension to his contract that will be for more than one more year, maybe even three years. Let's see: If he's 65 now and gets three more years on top of his current year, that's er, um, aw, 70! He'll be 70 when he's done!.

"My sources are telling me Coach Coughlin will be coaching in his 70s."

(later that day on network news, the wire services, WFAN headlines, Channel 2 Sports): ESPN inside sources are saying that Coach Tom Coughlin will be getting a contract that will allow him to coach the Giants into his 70s."

SweetZombieJesus
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

It will require a logo change and fractional uniform numbers [:D]

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6656/newnewyorkgiants.jpg

jjj45
04-04-2012, 02:58 PM
"Let's now head on over to NFL insider Mort Mortenson at the Wonderlic offices. Mort, what do we know?"

Mort: "My exclusive sources are telling me that Tom Coughlin is the coach of the New York Giants. Further, they state that he is negotiating an extension to his contract that will be for more than one more year, maybe even three years. Let's see: If he's 65 now and gets three more years on top of his current year, that's er, um, aw, 70! He'll be 70 when he's done!.

"My sources are telling me Coach Coughlin will be coaching in his 70s."

(later that day on network news, the wire services, WFAN headlines, Channel 2 Sports): ESPN inside sources are saying that Coach Tom Coughlin will be getting a contract that will allow him to coach the Giants into his 70s."

Mort: "Uh gee Fred, looks like coach Coughlin will be coaching for a few more years he he he"

http://bedrock.deadsquid.com/img/characters/barney/barney.gif

Bing Crosby
04-04-2012, 04:10 PM

If that happens there is going to be an outcry in Dallas to bring back Landry. I wonder if a fedora can fit in one of those jars.

jomo
04-04-2012, 04:13 PM
"Coach for life" didn't work out so well for Jo Paterno and it won't work so well here. Let's give TC his final contract, at 3-4 year deal. Allow him to finish off his Hall of Fame resume and retire as a Giant. Let's give him his victory lap during the final season and have his heir aparent installed as "assistant head coach" 2 years before actually assun=ming the head coaching position. In this way we give TC his due but remain in control of the process while insuring a smooth transition.

NYG4lifeNYK
04-04-2012, 04:19 PM

Haha

midnite_nj
04-04-2012, 04:24 PM
"Coach for life" didn't work out so well for Jo Paterno and it won't work so well here. Let's give TC his final contract, at 3-4 year deal. Allow him to finish off his Hall of Fame resume and retire as a Giant. Let's give him his victory lap during the final season and have his heir aparent installed as "assistant head coach" 2 years before actually assun=ming the head coaching position. In this way we give TC his due but remain in control of the process while insuring a smooth transition.Sounds good to me

Toadofsteel
04-04-2012, 05:57 PM

It will require a logo change and fractional uniform numbers [:D]

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6656/newnewyorkgiants.jpg

I'm down... nice pic btw. Imagine if instead of the whole blernsball thing they did some wacky makes-no-sense rendition of football? Flootsball?

Toadofsteel
04-04-2012, 05:59 PM

If that happens there is going to be an outcry in Dallas to bring back Landry. I wonder if a fedora can fit in one of those jars.

And the Redskins would put a Theisman head-jar on Agnew's headless body...

Oh, and the Falcons would have to change their name to the Mermaids. LOL

SweetZombieJesus
04-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Oh, and the Falcons would have to change their name to the Mermaids. LOL

Oh, why couldn't she be the other kind of mermaid, with the fish part on the top and the lady part on the bottom?<div style="overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: left; text-decoration: none; border: medium none;">
</div>