PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line

eli2cruz
04-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Is anybody else really concerned about the oline? I mean can somebody please tell me what were gonna do here ?

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Beatty is back healthy as the LT
Boothe is the LG
Baas is healthy finally and at C
Snee is at RG
Diehl moves to RT.

jomo
04-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Beatty is back healthy as the LT Boothe is the LG Baas is healthy finally and at C Snee is at RG Diehl moves to RT.Whole lotta depth needed slip.

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Beatty is back healthy as the LT Boothe is the LG Baas is healthy finally and at C Snee is at RG Diehl moves to RT.Whole lotta depth needed slip.

I think they need more than depth, they need starters.

But all they can do is draft a couple guys and see how they pan out. No money for any real upgrades.

allentown PA
04-04-2012, 12:21 AM
anyone think brewer is the futre RT...Idk about DD anymore.

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 12:22 AM
anyone think brewer is the futre RT.

based on what? none of us have seen him play at all since last preseason

allentown PA
04-04-2012, 12:24 AM
anyone think brewer is the futre RT.

based on what? none of us have seen him play at all since last preseason

college playing time or anything people have heard about his progression in practice maybe...idk..ive never heard anything about him...he is a big kid was wondering if anyone heard anything.

giantsfan420
04-04-2012, 01:33 AM
well to be objective, the OL at times did very well in pass protection. so its not as if the OL of Beatty Boothe Baas Snee DD/Brewer CAN'T put it together, its WILL they put it together consistently?

we have depth in Petrus, Brewer, Cordle (C?), and a few others, and we'll certainly look at OL in the draft, but i think we have the starting unit on the team already.

with the OL, unlike any other position where an individual can make an individual play that saves the unit, has to work together and are only as good as their weakest link. Due to the injuries/shuffling of the line, even tho we all hoped they would gel, they really never got the shot for whatever reason.

that said, in the SB, Baas played exceptionally against a top flight DT in Wilfork. IMHO, DD was the weak link and his play affected the interior of the line when he was G and perimeter when he was T...KMac was awful...that said, our OL was horrible for much of the season, i cannot fathom how an OL could do worse, so despite having terrible play from that unit, we still won the SB...

not too worried about it, i believe they'll play better than this past season...

Kase-1
04-04-2012, 02:12 PM

But all they can do is draft a couple guys and see how they pan out. No money for any real upgrades.

Starters (to start the season):
LT: Beatty
LG: Boothe
C: Baas (if healthy)
RG: Snee
RT: Diehl

We could have competitions at LG, Center, and RT, I believe Baas' natural position is OG, Petrus has shown that he deserves at least a shot, Boothe proved he's a starter, and who knows what we got at RT. Diehl was AWFUL at LT, very bad at LG, and who knows how he'll do at RT.

Not sure what we have in Brewer, but I wouldnt mind looking at a new RT through the draft, at this point Diehl should be a bench player.

jomo
04-04-2012, 04:01 PM

But all they can do is draft a couple guys and see how they pan out. No money for any real upgrades.You are correct about upgrades. The only good thing is that we know we can win with starters like this (very average except for Snee) but even more of the load will fall to Eli.

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Seems giants were at Wisconsin's proday watching Konz and Zeitler closely.

Konz was the C there, but may be better at guard

paul007
04-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Like I mentioned before, I believe the Giants will drfaft two OL, a versatile Tackle, and an interior lineman G/C.

If Konz is available, maybe they consider him at Center, and move Baas over to play guard? It's just one option, although we have Cordle as backup Center.

=== Interior Lineman === ( I LIKE ANY)
a) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin - 6'5 - 315
b) Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin - 6'4 - 315
c) Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia - 6'5 - 348
d) Kelechi Osemele, OG/RT, Iowa State - 6'6 - 347

=== OT === ( I LIKE a and d)
a) Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford - 6'6 - 304
b) Nate Potter, LT, Boise State - 6'6 - 295
c) Zebrie Sanders, OT, Florida State - 6'6 - 307
d) Andrew Datko, Florida State

B&RWarrior
04-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Boothe is the LG
Snee is at RG
Diehl moves to RT.

I think this will be okay for pass protection, but once again our run blocking will be poor with the exception of Snee. We need some maulers.

Martyr
04-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Beatty is back healthy as the LT Boothe is the LG Baas is healthy finally and at C Snee is at RG Diehl moves to RT. I think this will be okay for pass protection, but once again our run blocking will be poor with the exception of Snee. We need some maulers.</P>

I wish Decastro would some how fall to us, I think he'd be a instant upgrade</P>

T-Murda84
04-07-2012, 02:01 AM
I dont know...I want the Giants to part ways with David Diehl but we won two Superbowls with him at Left Tackle. But then again, we won 2 superbowls with Jerry Reese and he's claimed to be a great GM....so I guess Diehl is a very good Left Tackle since he has the rings to prove it.

Kase-1
04-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Boothe is the LG
Snee is at RG
Diehl moves to RT.

I think this will be okay for pass protection, but once again our run blocking will be poor with the exception of Snee. We need some maulers.Boothe is also a beast in the run game, he REALLY stepped his game up BIG TIME this past season. I wish there was a way to get Petrus out there, he looked like a damned bowling ball on the inside, I love his intensity

G-Men Surg.
04-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Since starting in PUP list I haven't heard Adam Koets name for a while. I guess he got cut from the team. Any thoughts on him after tearing an ACL, where is he ?

gmen0820
04-07-2012, 03:08 PM
I think our OL will surprise some people. Beatty is an average LT, but that is all we really need. QB's make their pass protection, Eli certainly does that.

Diehl is a bad LT, and a bad LG, but I think the issue at LT has a lot to do with having to handle what is mostly the team's best pass rusher, and the issue at LG is just that he struggles against penetrating DT's. I think his feet are questionable, so he should be a little bit better at RT -- if they move him there -- where it isn't as much of a necessity. Boothe -- Baas -- Snee are a nice interior as well, they will be 100% healthy and ready to go.

Our running game will improve, even though our passing game is potent enough to win games.

hugehomer
04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Snee didnt run block well in 2010 either.

slipknottin
04-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Snee didnt run block well in 2010 either.

strongly disagree. Snee + Mckenzie was arguably top 5 right side in the nfl

hugehomer
04-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Pro Football Focus were huge fans of Snee. Had him number one guard in 2008 and number three in 2009. They say his run blocking took huge drop in 2010

slipknottin
04-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Pro Football Focus were huge fans of Snee. Had him number one guard in 2008 and number three in 2009. They say his run blocking took huge drop in 2010

Well a huge drop for the #1 guy, but I believe they still had him in the top 5 as a RG.

Snee did just have surgery on his elbow this offseason, so clearly he was not healthy. Its possible it was an injury that he in 2010 too, just not as serious

Neverend
04-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Well a huge drop for the #1 guy, but I believe they still had him in the top 5 as a RG.

Snee did just have surgery on his elbow this offseason, so clearly he was not healthy. Its possible it was an injury that he in 2010 too, just not as serious

Yeah, Snee I think was playing with a knee injury late in that year. Was listed with a knee on the injury report around the time but I'm betting it was a little more serious than that

hugehomer
04-07-2012, 06:59 PM
If so, we have a guard who is over 30 who has not played well because of injuries two years in a row.

slipknottin
04-07-2012, 07:00 PM
If so, we have a guard who is over 30 who has not played well because of injuries two years in a row.

well doesnt mean he cant play well this upcoming year, but it does mean at some point the giants need to build up some depth behind him.

Good guards usually only play until they are 33-35 anyway.

Kase-1
04-08-2012, 04:11 AM
But we have Boothe and Petrus who both showed that they have starting potential written all over them

And Im not sure where I heard it, but I think Baas' natural position is OG, so maybe we have Boothe and him having a battle at LG as well as C

NorwoodBlue
04-08-2012, 08:26 AM
You've got four coming back from a Super Bowl winning OL, and Beatty coming back. You've also to Brewer who was robbed of a preseason by the strike, so he should really be in the mix. And Petrus was showing he has some potential. That's all before your draft. A top OL in the first couple rounds, and I'd say you've got a pretty good group fighting for the starting spots.

bearbryant
04-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I don't get it. I didn't see it and I'll be amazed if it happens w/o huge changes. Start w/ baas. I keep hearing he was hurt. I hope so cause at that $$$ he got beat up so badly that they had to put petrus in to stop the bleeding. DD needs help everytime a speed DE is against him or Eli gets killed. Beatty is unproven. Boothe got better this season. Mac was a bottom five OT this year and snee better take the training wheels off this year. They were the reason the run game blew not because AB & Co. laid down. We need help! Starters and depth!

Kase-1
04-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I don't get it. I didn't see it and I'll be amazed if it happens w/o huge changes. Start w/ baas. I keep hearing he was hurt. I hope so cause at that $$$ he got beat up so badly that they had to put petrus in to stop the bleeding. DD needs help everytime a speed DE is against him or Eli gets killed. Beatty is unproven. Boothe got better this season. Mac was a bottom five OT this year and snee better take the training wheels off this year. They were the reason the run game blew not because AB &amp; Co. laid down. We need help! Starters and depth!Diehl was ranked as THEE worst OG and OT last season by profootballfocus.com

Beatty has been relativley proven so far, he's done GREAT against some of the top rushers in the NFL. His biggest knock is that he hasnt stayed healthy for a full season in his NFL career, his last injury was kind of a freak injury that could have happened to anyone, but I expect alot from him this upcoming season.

I forget where I heard it, but Im pretty sure Baas' natural position is OG, so maybe we have an open competition at LG and Center because Boothe played damned good and needs to start either at Center or LG, and maybe Baas will play better at LG

No matter what we all know the problem with the run game lies with the OL rather that the RBs