PDA

View Full Version : Will Eli hit 5000 yards?

giantsfan39
12-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I would love for this to happen. We play the Cowboys twice and I could easily see Eli throw for close to 400 yards against their struggling secondary.

Vtgmenfan89
12-08-2011, 11:18 PM
It could happen but he'd have to average 325 ypg the last 4 games. Doable, but I think it ends up being more like 4800. That in it's own is quite a season though! Whatever he throws for, I just hope it leads us into the playoffs. I'll be really disappointed if we have a true collapse and Cowgirls walk away with division because we either gave up or because of their cakewalk schedule Jerry Jones probably paid for.

foosball
12-08-2011, 11:34 PM
If the Giants make the playoffs i'm okay with 5,000 yards.

shabi
12-09-2011, 12:10 AM
Eli's statistical pace this year is ridiculous. Never would I have ever thought Eli would have a legitimate shot at passing for 5,000 yards, something to this day only two quarterbacks have ever done. I don't think he'll reach the mark - he'll probably top around 4700-4800, but it's still mind blowing to me that it's a reachable task.

tonyt830
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM
I'd rather Eli not have to throw for 5000 yards, maybe the run game can get going and take some of the offensive pressure off Eli.

egyptian420
12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
I just want to get into the playoffs. No matter how many or few yards Manning compiles in these last 4 weeks. If he passes 5000 and we don't make the playoffs, no one will care/remember. If he passes 5000 and makes the playoffs as well...now that would be ideal.

buddy33
12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
I really don't care as long as they make the playoffs.

This league is made for offense. There are 5 QB's that could have 5,000 yards or very close to it.

mattajw
12-09-2011, 07:48 AM
If he hits over 5000, then i bet we are not in playoffs because we were behind in games. So, as much as i would love to see that, i would love to see them in playoffs more.

nygsb42champs
12-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Considering we play 3 games in Met Life Stadium it might be tough, especially if the weather gets cold and windy.

TuckYou
12-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Considering we play 3 games in Met Life Stadium it might be tough, especially if the weather gets cold and windy.</P>

My thoughts exactly, except I don't call it Met Life staduim. I still say Giants staduim. </P>

krygny
12-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I hope not. If he's putting up that kind of yardage, it usually means we're playing from behind.

But just once, I'd like to see Eli light it up early for something like 4 TDs and 300 yards in the 1st half. That's something that's never part of Coughlin's "game plan".

giantsfan39
12-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Are you kidding? How often do QBs have 4 TDs and 300 yards in the first half? I don't think anybody this year has done it. Not Brady, not Rodgers and not Brees.

G-Men Surg.
12-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I would love for this to happen. We play the Cowboys twice and I could easily see Eli throw for close to 400 yards against their struggling secondary.

Could happen but for any player or in any period of time it has been a very difficult task. Will be fun seeing Eli's aerial attack in this final stretch .

GiantWarfare
12-09-2011, 12:55 PM
it'd be highly highly highly unlikely but imagine out of all people, if Eli were to be the one to break Marino's single season passing record? Ahead of the always-named Brees/Brady/Rodgers...

Imagine the reactions! I would imagine a lot of dropped jaws and silent confusion....

DragonSoul
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
it'd be highly highly highly unlikely but imagine out of all people, if Eli were to be the one to break Marino's single season passing record? Ahead of the always-named Brees/Brady/Rodgers...

Imagine the reactions! I would imagine a lot of dropped jaws and silent confusion....

Someone will probably break it, if not all 3/4 of them...

If Eli joined them in that club, it would be an after thought. They say he got lucky, right after they all got on the bandwagon and said he is Elite.

giantsfan420
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
what is he at now? over 4400 or something? what would he need to get to 5000 the next 4 games? i really dont know how many games we could win if eli isnt at least throwing for 250 and a couple tds.

if we're going to win out, i'd honestly expect these next 4 games eli would prob have 1000 yards or more. hopefully like 8 tds over that span. i think he does those things it should be enough where he can make up for the defense just enough, if the defense plays much better we'd be a lock to make the playoffs.

like some one said hopefully the run game shows up. but even if it does, i dont know if that'd really affect the 5000 mark bc KG likes to use PA and if the run is working the PA is working too. even when the run has worked, he's still used the run to threaten for the pass.

it just comes down to the defense. if the defense can do its freaking job the next 4 games, it allows a little more margin for eli having an average day which could happen a few of these games. it shouldnt be, ok eli win the next 4 games no matter what anyone else does...it should be eli, do whatever it takes to help get us a win if the defense can manage to keep it close.

the cowboys game, it would suck if it were a shoot out bc that gives dallas a good shot at winning or at least a better shot than if our defense plays well. Eli and the offense will get points, that im fairly certain on, in dallas we have rocked it scoring a ton of points, its like eli plays hit best there the past 2 games at dallas.

itd be nice if somehow our d really started to come alive, and we're holding teams to 14 points or 17 points, or like the steelers defense which is a pipe dream; 3 points.

imagine a couple games a year the d held them to 3 or 6 points or something...elite ds can do that. hopefully ours is better than we thought and they just have that run right now and play motivated. if the defense shows up, eli wont have to throw for a ton of yards so that could affect how he gets to whatever yardage he does.

GiantWarfare
12-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Someone will probably break it, if not all 3/4 of them...

If Eli joined them in that club, it would be an after thought. They say he got lucky, right after they all got on the bandwagon and said he is Elite.

If anyone's gonna break it, my money's on Brees

Drez
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
what is he at now? over 4400 or something? what would he need to get to 5000 the next 4 games? i really dont know how many games we could win if eli isnt at least throwing for 250 and a couple tds. if we're going to win out, i'd honestly expect these next 4 games eli would prob have 1000 yards or more. hopefully like 8 tds over that span. i think he does those things it should be enough where he can make up for the defense just enough, if the defense plays much better we'd be a lock to make the playoffs. like some one said hopefully the run game shows up. but even if it does, i dont know if that'd really affect the 5000 mark bc KG likes to use PA and if the run is working the PA is working too. even when the run has worked, he's still used the run to threaten for the pass. it just comes down to the defense. if the defense can do its freaking job the next 4 games, it allows a little more margin for eli having an average day which could happen a few of these games. it shouldnt be, ok eli win the next 4 games no matter what anyone else does...it should be eli, do whatever it takes to help get us a win if the defense can manage to keep it close. the cowboys game, it would suck if it were a shoot out bc that gives dallas a good shot at winning or at least a better shot than if our defense plays well. Eli and the offense will get points, that im fairly certain on, in dallas we have rocked it scoring a ton of points, its like eli plays hit best there the past 2 games at dallas. itd be nice if somehow our d really started to come alive, and we're holding teams to 14 points or 17 points, or like the steelers defense which is a pipe dream; 3 points. imagine a couple games a year the d held them to 3 or 6 points or something...elite ds can do that. hopefully ours is better than we thought and they just have that run right now and play motivated. if the defense shows up, eli wont have to throw for a ton of yards so that could affect how he gets to whatever yardage he does.</P>

Eli only has around 3800 yards passing this year, so like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, he'd need to average about 325 yards a game to break 5k.</P>

I'm with the majority in this thread that think that Eli is going to come just shy of 5k, and hit in around 4800 yards... Which is still amazing.</P>

However, I disagree with the notion that if he does hit 5k that means that we're losing or playing come from behind football. The fact of the matter is that our running game sucks, so we have no choice but to pass a lot. So, I don't really think that looking at passing yards would be a good arbiter of how we are doing...</P>

gmen46
12-09-2011, 04:48 PM

In Eli's career, we have lost nearly all the rare games he has thrown for over 400 yards.

This year he has thrown for 400+ in 2 games (Seattle and New Orleans).

So I, for one, do not want to see him throw for close to 400 yards in any of the 4 remaining games.

If he maintains the average he' s had for this year --303 yards/game--we have a great chance to win all 4.

It's all on the defense this month, as far as I'm concerned. And continued protection of the ball, of course.

appodictic
12-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Considering we play 3 games in Met Life Stadium it might be tough, especially if the weather gets cold and windy. Good thing for global warming. I was out playing Ultimate today (december 9th) not cold at all.

Garbloz
12-09-2011, 06:19 PM
i wouldn't consider it that big of deal with todays passer friendly rules. cant touch the wr, can't hit the wr hard when hes catching the ball to try to make him drop it, have to hit the qb in a strike zone etc

i started watching the nfl in the 90s so i will only mention from there to present. those qbs throwing for 2000 was probably the same as 4000 yds today. tough to compare eras.

i still love football and my gmen but i don't like the direction the games going. its getting too soft. and legends don't get the respect they deserve by the youngins. like marino

krygny
12-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Are you kidding? How often do QBs have 4 TDs and 300 yards in the first half? I don't think anybody this year has done it. Not Brady, not Rodgers and not Brees.

Exactly. I mean do something ridiculous in the first half so Eli can sit for the 4th Q.

Now would be a good time.

jomo
12-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Considering we play 3 games in Met Life Stadium it might be tough, especially if the weather gets cold and windy. Good thing for global warming. I was out playing Ultimate today (december 9th) not cold at all.
Didn't you get the memo? It's not called global warming anymore. It is now call "climate change" which allows some people to get all lathered up no matter which way it goes! [:D] I like keeping all my options open as well.

Gianthunter
12-09-2011, 07:12 PM
i wouldn't consider it that big of deal with todays passer friendly rules. cant touch the wr, can't hit the wr hard when hes catching the ball to try to make him drop it, have to hit the qb in a strike zone etc i started watching the nfl in the 90s so i will only mention from there to present. those qbs throwing for 2000 was probably the same as 4000 yds today. tough to compare eras. i still love football and my gmen but i don't like the direction the games going. its getting too soft. and legends don't get the respect they deserve by the youngins. like marino<FONT color=#ff0000>You forgot to add the secondarys are hamstrung with the new rules</FONT>

giantsfan420
12-09-2011, 08:16 PM
i wouldn't consider it that big of deal with todays passer friendly rules. cant touch the wr, can't hit the wr hard when hes catching the ball to try to make him drop it, have to hit the qb in a strike zone etc

i started watching the nfl in the 90s so i will only mention from there to present. those qbs throwing for 2000 was probably the same as 4000 yds today. tough to compare eras.

i still love football and my gmen but i don't like the direction the games going. its getting too soft. and legends don't get the respect they deserve by the youngins. like marino

r u serious? getting to 5000 yards even in todays nfl standards is extremely tough. Brees fell like 11 yards short of marions recorcd and brees was slanging it all game up by 30 still slinging and he barely got to over 5000 yds,

eli throws for 5000 yards, people are going to use the "new passer friendly bla bla bla" NO, 5000 is a big deal. imagine he goes off and he breaks marinos record/??? mad props to eli,

how you been thinking we're winning? eli trying to over power the defense defeciencies ? we-re 6-6 bc elis been keeping this team alive by throwing like a mad man, getting huge plays last minute come back gw tds....sadly tho, if eli gets to 5000 people will in response to eli doing it make up some bs excuse of this and that

giantsfan39
12-09-2011, 08:18 PM
He has 3705 yards. His average per game is 309. If he continues at this pace he will have 4940 yards.

60 yards away from 5000. 15 yards a game.

If he can increase his average to 324 from 309 he hits 5000.

NYfanatic
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM
He might. Imagine that. Eli getting 5000.

DragonSoul
12-09-2011, 10:24 PM
He has 3705 yards. His average per game is 309. If he continues at this pace he will have 4940 yards.

60 yards away from 5000. 15 yards a game.

If he can increase his average to 324 from 309 he hits 5000.
It is doable, but there are some things to consider.

1) 3 of the next 4 games are vs division rivals, and the way we have played all season, it will probably be close, so it is hard to say. The cowboys 2ndry isn't great, ours has issues at times, so it can be a shootout in either one of those games if not both. The skins play solid defense, so might not get a ton of yards.

2) With the changes in the Oline. I can see our Run game improving. So if that happens, more then likely he will get less passing attempts. If thats the case, only way he gets passed it, is he and the wrs hit on some big plays.

It is definitely possible, but we shall see. It be pretty sweet if he did (hopefully with us winning all those games). Yet he probably will not even try to go for it, unless he is right there at the end, then the coaching staff might make it happen.

Garbloz
12-09-2011, 10:33 PM

r u serious? getting to 5000 yards even in todays nfl standards is extremely tough. Brees fell like 11 yards short of marions recorcd and brees was slanging it all game up by 30 still slinging and he barely got to over 5000 yds,

eli throws for 5000 yards, people are going to use the "new passer friendly bla bla bla" NO, 5000 is a big deal. imagine he goes off and he breaks marinos record/??? mad props to eli,

how you been thinking we're winning? eli trying to over power the defense defeciencies ? we-re 6-6 bc elis been keeping this team alive by throwing like a mad man, getting huge plays last minute come back gw tds....sadly tho, if eli gets to 5000 people will in response to eli doing it make up some bs excuse of this and that

i fully support eli and know he's the main reason we have wins this year. he's been great even with bad oline play for the most part, terrible running game, alot ot drops and perfect passes dropped. terrible d for the most part. so don't misunderstand me. eli has been clutch his whole career, getting better every year, and now is clearly a top 5 qb.

and passing by any qb today over 5k yds a season is very impressive. but not godlike like marino

i was just saying passing is not as hard anymore with the rules so i don't consider it that big of deal or a better season for a qb then marino's year if they break his yds record. unless atleast 600 yds over. hard to compare eras cause different rules idk if you watched the nfl in the 90s and 80s but in case you didnt let me explain some of the differences and i was young so old guys help me out if i miss or am wrong on things

you could touch the wr a bit during the play. you could hit the wr hard when they were in the process of trying to bring the ball in causing a drop or the ball bouncing back up for a int. thats why passing in the middle used to be so tough and only tough wrs/te would do it. you could go after the qb for the sack without worrying about the strike zone or tackling too hard( but that got flagged in the past just not as bad)

not my op this is fact that the newer present rules make passing no where near as hard as past rules

Coach Carter
12-09-2011, 11:18 PM
If Eli passes for 5,000yds we won't make the playoffs, plain and simple.

I have a feeling Gilbride wants the 5,000 so he will call about 10 runs per game.

Eli's stats proves the Giants have a stable of stud receivers.

Slunk3AM
12-10-2011, 07:05 AM

I have a feeling Gilbride wants the 5,000 so he will call about 10 runs per game.

Wow.

So Eli's stats have nothing to do with him? Its all because of some young receivers?

We all saw what happened to Steve Smith when he left Eli... all of a sudden a nobody.

Don't you think Eli has had a hand in the development of our receiving corps?

And if Eli passes for 5,000 yards we won't make the playoffs?

You're better off just declaring that you hate Eli and not try to justify yourself as if you're looking at things fairly.

Coach Carter
12-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Wow.

So Eli's stats have nothing to do with him? Its all because of some young receivers?

We all saw what happened to Steve Smith when he left Eli... all of a sudden a nobody.

You're better off just declaring that you hate Eli and not try to justify yourself as if you're looking at things fairly.

You probably didn't spent the full nine months inside of a womb, so I'll have to spoon feed you information the same was you were nourished as a premature baby - drip is slowly into your veins.

For a quarterback to throw close to 5,000yds he has to be a stud, so Eli being a stud is a given. I just never expected for the Giants to have receivers that good, I knew Nicks was good and Cruz looked good vs the Jets a couple of preseasons ago. However, their level of output is astonishing.

The Giants have lost the last four games, when a team plays from behind it passes more, most of Eli's biggest numbers are from losses. Thus, if Eli is forced to put up big numbers, the Giants are probably losing games. If you don't believe me, look up the playoff record of the Saints the year Brees was 11 yards short of 5,000.

IamGiantsfan
12-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Wow.

You probably didn't spent the full nine months inside of a womb, so I'll have to spoon feed you information the same was you were nourished as a premature baby - drip is slowly into your veins.

For a quarterback to throw close to 5,000yds he has to be a stud, so Eli being a stud is a given. I just never expected for the Giants to have receivers that good, I knew Nicks was good and Cruz looked good vs the Jets a couple of preseasons ago. However, their level of output is astonishing.

The Giants have lost the last four games, when a team plays from behind it passes more, most of Eli's biggest numbers are from losses. Thus, if Eli is forced to put up big numbers, the Giants are probably losing games. If you don't believe me, look up the playoff record of the Saints the year Brees was 11 yards short of 5,000.

If eli throws for 5000 yards we make the playoffs and win the superbowl, is he a HOF?

JMFP2
12-10-2011, 02:27 PM
</P>

If Eli hits 5000, the Giants will probably finish 7-9.</P>

Coach Carter
12-10-2011, 03:51 PM

Wow.

If eli throws for 5000 yards we make the playoffs and win the superbowl, is he a HOF?

Probably, those voters love big numbers.

Brandon jacobs
12-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Eli has officially 3,705yds. so he would have to throw around 323.8 yards each of these last four games... amazing to say the least.

But go Eli.. go! about the only part of our game I'm happy with

Drez
12-10-2011, 08:43 PM

Wow. So Eli's stats have nothing to do with him? Its all because of some young receivers? We all saw what happened to Steve Smith when he left Eli... all of a sudden a nobody. Don't you think Eli has had a hand in the development of our receiving corps? And if Eli passes for 5,000 yards we won't make the playoffs? You're better off just declaring that you hate Eli and not try to justify yourself as if you're looking at things fairly.

</P>

I don't think you need to spoon feed him, so much as you have to be clear in what you are saying. Not trying to pick a fight, but your statement reall does come across as a dis against Eli, as in it's more the WR's thanhe. A little more acuity would have prevented that.</P>

Also, I don't think that if Eli hits 5k yardsnecessarily means we're losing. Our running game absolutely sucks this year. We have to pass a lot, even when we're up, because we can't (or at least haven't been able to) trust our running game to consistently grind things out.</P>

I can also counter that line of argument with the fact that of the 3 QB's that have more passing yards than Eli, none of their teams currentlyhas a record under 9-3, and one is undefeated.</P>