PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Problem:

Aperspective
04-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I have recently heard that Bradshaw may never be 100% again. The Giants do not have a guy behind him who is close to a serviceable replacement. I understand Jacobs wasnt the guy but not signing Hillis, Bush or Tolbert is looking bad right now. I have also heard we may take 2 rb's in the draft. Any thoughts?

titwio
04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't think it's bad at all that the Giants didn't address a RB through FA. Those guys you mentioned would all be over paid. The Giants can look to address their concern through the draft and there's a LOT of good backs this year IMO.

JMFP2
04-04-2012, 07:21 PM
We need someone in the draft, unless Da'Rel Scott is the RB version of Victor Cruz.</P>

Depending on Bradshaw is a complete crapshoot.</P>

bearbryant
04-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I get the fact that from the moment a RB enters the league and starts getting hit he'll, " never be the same again" but what else is going on with AB?

NY4U2
04-04-2012, 07:26 PM
im not worried AB was a late round draft pick, we can find another serviceable back (and maybe a great 1) in the draft.. I think we'll be ok. we can also wait and get a lingering FA RB on the cheap ...

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
I have recently heard that Bradshaw may never be 100% again. The Giants do not have a guy behind him who is close to a serviceable replacement. I understand Jacobs wasnt the guy but not signing Hillis, Bush or Tolbert is looking bad right now. I have also heard we may take 2 rb's in the draft. Any thoughts?

Where did you hear all this? Fathers brothers wives husband?

Giants had no cap room to sign any of those players you mentioned btw.

JacksGiant76
04-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Meh, the Giants and Patriots have proven you don't need much of a running game to winning championships. I'm fine with the guys on the roster and wouldn't mind seeing them use a later round pick , or maybe that extra 4th we have, to address the RB position.

slipknottin
04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Meh, the Giants and Patriots have proven you don't need much of a running game to winning championships

packers, colts, and saints too.

GameTime
04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I have recently heard that Bradshaw may never be 100% again. The Giants do not have a guy behind him who is close to a serviceable replacement. I understand Jacobs wasnt the guy but not signing Hillis, Bush or Tolbert is looking bad right now. I have also heard we may take 2 rb's in the draft. Any thoughts?</P>

FWIW...Bradshaw hasnt been close to 100% in three years.....</P>

BeatYale
04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree there's a lot of good talent at the RB position in the draft this year.

One area of concern with rookie/inexperienced RB's is blitz pick up. Whether it's Scott or a rookie, it's highly likely that they will be a liability in that regard.

I didn't mention Ware because I think he should retire. He's had so many concussions and seems to be on the bad end of a lot of big hits. I don't want the guy sucking his food through a straw for the rest of his life.

Meanhothead
04-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Reese has been addressing the RB need. He drafted Scott last year. He gave Jacobs a fair offer.

He will draft someone or he will pluck a RB off another teams practice squad.

myles2424
04-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Doug Martin meet the giants, giants meet Doug Martin....

JJC7301
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
We should have kept Jacobs -- I think that $2 million was a fair price and affordable. Make cuts somewhere else if you have to.

AB is my favorite player, but they should have asked him to take some sort of cut. He will never be healthy enough for an entire season.

I believe that most of our running problems lay with the o-line, but I can't believe that BJ wasn't worth $2mil for 1 season and that we couldn't afford that. Cut someone else.

Aperspective
04-05-2012, 09:10 AM
I know that Bradshaw hasnt been 100% in a while and I know that its hard for rookies to learn the right blocking schemes I know Jacobs probably wanted just a little bit more than he deserved and I know that Bush, Tolbert and Hillis were just a million or so out of our range. I think anyone who read the news knows this stuff. What I am saying if all these things are true, what do we do now? The answer which sucks is to draft 1 or 2 and maybe pick up Cedric Benson.

GMENAGAIN
04-05-2012, 09:16 AM
We'll draft a RB and pick a veteran FA up for the league minimum as a back up -- Addai, Battle, Forsett, Hightower, etc.

Aperspective
04-05-2012, 09:26 AM
I would like Lamar Miller and C Benson.

Aperspective
04-05-2012, 09:31 AM
FA Running Backs still available:

Kevin Smith, Lions
Age 26; 6-0, 210; 561 rushes (3.9 ypc); 113 receptions (8.9 ypr)
Detroit brought Smith back last November after Mikel LeShoure went on IR early with an Achilles heel injury and then Jahvid Best had recurring concussion issues. Smith performed well (averaging 4.9 yards per carry), but he has unfortunately earned a reputation of being injury prone after a solid rookie season in 2008, appearing in just 26 games since then. If his knee is fully recovered he could be a valuable addition both this year and beyond, but thatís a big if.

Joseph Addai, Colts
Age 29; 5-11, 210; 1253 (4.1 ypc); 237 receptions (7.4 ypr)
Although there is not a lot of tread left on Addaiís tires, his pass receiving skills make him a natural to fill the role Kevin Faulk had for the last few years.

Tim Hightower, Redskins
Age 26; 6-0, 226; 571 carries (4.0 ypc); 138 receptions (6.9 ypr)
Hightower is coming back from a torn ACL, so he is another player with an injury concern. His injury happened in October and he began rehab the following month, so he should be good to go when the season begins. Heís still young, has never been overused (career high is 153 carries), and he does well in the passing game (63 catches in 2009).

Cedric Benson, Bengals
Age 30; 5-11, 222; 1529 rushes (3.8 ypc); 106 receptions (6.9 ypr)
Benson has many red flags: heíll turn 30 in December; he fumbled twelve times in the last two years; he bristled when Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden tried to rotate him with Bernard Scott last season; and he has had multiple off-field issues.

Ryan Grant, Packers
Age 30; 6-1, 218; 983 carries (4.4 ypc); 100 receptions (7.6 ypr)
At first glance the 29-year old Grant appears to be a productive player with something left in the tank, but I donít believe that is the case. Green Bay overused him in 2008-09 (693 touches in those two years), and heís never been the same since.

Justin Forsett, Seahawks
Age 27; 5-8, 190; 286 carries (4.6 ypc); 102 receptions (7.5 ypr)
Forsett could be a nice change of pace back for some team, but with Danny Woodhead alread on the roster do the Pats want another running back this size?

Jackie Battle, Chiefs
Age 29; 6-2, 238; 190 carries (3.8 ypc); 14 receptions (5.4 ypr)
The career special teamer finally got an opportunity last year when Jamaal Charles tore an ACL in week two. Battle has good speed for a big back but he doesnít have any moves to make an opponent miss him.

Jerious Norwood, Rams
Age 29; 5-11, 205; 401 carries (5.2 ypc); 97 receptions (9.9 ypr)
Norwood began his career with a bang, averaging 6.4, 6.0 and 5.1 yards per carry in his first three seasons while also returning 116 kickoffs for a total of 5400 all purpose yards. In 2009 Norwood missed six games with concussions and a hip flexor, and then tore his ACL in the second game of the 2010 season; last year Norwood had only 24 rushes in nine games for the Rams.

Ronnie Brown, Eagles
Age 31; 6-0, 233; 1182 carries (4.2 ypc); 190 receptions (8.1 ypr)
Philadelphia didnít show much faith in Brown last year. They attempted to trade him for Jerome Harrison in mid-season, and Brown finished with just 42 carries and not a single reception. The Dolphins relied on him quite heavily during his six seasons in Miami; he is probably slowed to the point where he is no longer of any use to an NFL team.

Maurice Morris, Lions
Age 33; 5-11, 202; 909 carries (4.1 ypc); 153 receptions (7.7 ypr)
Although Morris will turn 33 in December, he hasnít taken the pounding players like Brown has because he has always been the number two back. The Lions reportedly have no interest in bringing him back; he would be a low-risk, limited upside short term addition.

Earnest Graham, Buccaneers
Age 32; 5-9, 220; 495 carries (4.3 ypc); 133 receptions (7.0 ypr)
Graham tore his Achilles in October but says he expects to be fully recovered by May. The Florida Gator was exclusively a special teamer for his first three years in the NFL before finally getting a chance in 2007, gaining over 1222 yards from scrimmage and scoring three touchdowns; the past three years he has primarily been used as a fullback. Assuming he is healthy he is another consistent, versatile, low risk option that could still contribute as he has never been over used.

Mewelde Moore, Steelers
Age 30; 5-11, 210; 506 carries (4.5 ypc); 221 receptions (8.7 ypr)
Moore is a player with nearly as many yards receiving (1929) as rushing (2294) in his career. Heís an option as a third-down back.

Jerome Harrison, Lions
Age 29; 5-9, 200; 357 carries (4.7 ypc); 70 receptions (7.0 ypr)
Harrison is the player that was diagnosed with a brain tumor after failing a physical needed to complete a trade for Ronnie Brown last year. If he is medically cleared to play he could represent a very good value at running back. Harrison had 1,082 total yards from scrimmage in 2009 with the Browns.

Cadillac Williams, Rams
Age 30; 5-11, 217; 1073 carries (3.8 ypc); 151 receptions (6.8 ypr)
Williams was clearly overused early in his career and has never been the same since his rookie season. The good news is that his yards per carry in 2011 was the best of his career. The bad news is that it was the first time since 2005 that it was not below four yards per carry.

Derrick Ward, Texans
Age 32; 5-11, 230; 563 carries (4.8 ypc); 101 receptions (8.2 ypr)
Ward parlayed his only good season with the Giants into a big payday with Tampa Bay three years ago, where he lasted just one season. Heís been a third-stringer with Houston the last two years, getting a total of 102 touches during that time. I suppose he could be a short-yardage, goal-line type of guy, but it would make more sense to just use a fullback like Lousaka Polite for that than to use a roster spot on Ward.

Kevin Faulk, Patriots
Age 36; 5-8, 202; 952 carries (4.2 ypc); 482 receptions (8.5 ypr)
Kevin Faulk may indeed be back with the Patriots Ė but if that happens it will be as a coach, not as a player. If not, weíll see him in four years when he gets enshrined into the teamís Hall of Fame.

Sammy Morris, Cowboys
Age 35; 6-0, 220; 737 carries (4.1 ypc); 169 receptions (7.6 ypr)
Morris had 98 yards on 28 carries in three games for the Cowboys last year, after gaining 56 yards on 20 carries for the Pats the previous season. If his age doesnít scare any potential suitors off then that 3.2 yard per carry average over his last two seasons will.

LaDainian Tomlinson, Jets
Can you picture the 33-year old Mr. Classy ever playing for the Patriots? I canít.

Thomas Jones, Chiefs
Age 34; 5-10, 216; 2803 carries (4.0 ypc); 320 receptions (6.6 ypr)
Jones is not only ancient for a running back, he was over used from 2004 to 2010; itís remarkable that he was productive for that long. All that wear and tear showed last year, when he averaged a mere 3.1 yards per carry.

Ryan Torain, Redskins
Age 26; 6-0, 215; 238 carries (4.2 ypc); 24 receptions (6.2 ypr)
Mike Shanahan brought Torain with him from Denver to Washington two years ago, but gave up on him after he averaged just 3.4 yards per carry last year.

Tashard Choice, Bills
Age 28; 5-9, 211; 294 carries (4.4 ypc); 73 receptions (7.6 ypr)
Choice was waived by two teams last year, and the third team he was on does not want him back.

Kregg Lumpkin, Buccaneers
Age 28; 5-11, 222; 33 carries (3.8 ypc); 45 receptions (7.2 ypr)
How badly did the Bucs mis-manage their roster last year? They actually had to depend on Lumpkin, who had two NFL carries in two years, to be their primary back when both LaGarrette Blount and Earnest Graham were injured. If anything he would be an alternative at fullback, not running back.

Chester Taylor, Cardinals
Age 33; 5-11, 213; 1196 carries (4.1 ypc); 312 receptions (7.8 ypr)
Taylor has averaged just 3.02 yards per carry over the last three years, and managed only 168 total yards from scrimmage in 2011.

Lorenzo Booker, Vikings
Age 28; 5-11, 191; 61 carries (3.8 ypc); 47 receptions (7.7 ypr)
What are the chances that the Pats replace LawFirm with a guy who has been cut three times, the last of which was for fumbling three times on just 21 touches? Probably less than the chances that I marry Scarlett Johansson.

JesseJames
04-05-2012, 10:26 AM
the problem with drafting a RB in this coming draft to fix our running game and to back up Bradshaw is that most rookie RBs take time to develop with learning the playbook, blocking assignments and blitz pickup. If we do draft a RB we might not see much from this guy until next year and if thats true then what about this year. AB is still recovering and we don't know what his outcome will be and the guys behind him are question marks at best.

G-Man67
04-05-2012, 11:13 AM
don't panic, we'll find one</P>

also remember in the absolute worst case scenario, AB gets hurt during the season and nobody else has stepped up ... there will be a few guys out there on theircouches watching the games, but keeping in shape that could be brought in as an emergency like we did with Chase Blackburn</P>

and way before that regular season scenario, remember there will be veterans that get cut during the preseason, so don't just assume that we are simply down to Scott, Ware and whoever we draft to backup AB</P>

didn't Clinton Portis still want to play? ... now that is beyond worst case scenario, but just to point out that the well of RBs will never completely run dry</P>

Redeyejedi
04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
FA Running Backs still available:

Kevin Smith, Lions
Age 26; 6-0, 210; 561 rushes (3.9 ypc); 113 receptions (8.9 ypr)
Detroit brought Smith back last November after Mikel LeShoure went on IR early with an Achilles heel injury and then Jahvid Best had recurring concussion issues. Smith performed well (averaging 4.9 yards per carry), but he has unfortunately earned a reputation of being injury prone after a solid rookie season in 2008, appearing in just 26 games since then. If his knee is fully recovered he could be a valuable addition both this year and beyond, but thatís a big if.

Joseph Addai, Colts
Age 29; 5-11, 210; 1253 (4.1 ypc); 237 receptions (7.4 ypr)
Although there is not a lot of tread left on Addaiís tires, his pass receiving skills make him a natural to fill the role Kevin Faulk had for the last few years.

Tim Hightower, Redskins
Age 26; 6-0, 226; 571 carries (4.0 ypc); 138 receptions (6.9 ypr)
Hightower is coming back from a torn ACL, so he is another player with an injury concern. His injury happened in October and he began rehab the following month, so he should be good to go when the season begins. Heís still young, has never been overused (career high is 153 carries), and he does well in the passing game (63 catches in 2009).

Cedric Benson, Bengals
Age 30; 5-11, 222; 1529 rushes (3.8 ypc); 106 receptions (6.9 ypr)
Benson has many red flags: heíll turn 30 in December; he fumbled twelve times in the last two years; he bristled when Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden tried to rotate him with Bernard Scott last season; and he has had multiple off-field issues.

Ryan Grant, Packers
Age 30; 6-1, 218; 983 carries (4.4 ypc); 100 receptions (7.6 ypr)
At first glance the 29-year old Grant appears to be a productive player with something left in the tank, but I donít believe that is the case. Green Bay overused him in 2008-09 (693 touches in those two years), and heís never been the same since.

Justin Forsett, Seahawks
Age 27; 5-8, 190; 286 carries (4.6 ypc); 102 receptions (7.5 ypr)
Forsett could be a nice change of pace back for some team, but with Danny Woodhead alread on the roster do the Pats want another running back this size?

Jackie Battle, Chiefs
Age 29; 6-2, 238; 190 carries (3.8 ypc); 14 receptions (5.4 ypr)
The career special teamer finally got an opportunity last year when Jamaal Charles tore an ACL in week two. Battle has good speed for a big back but he doesnít have any moves to make an opponent miss him.

Jerious Norwood, Rams
Age 29; 5-11, 205; 401 carries (5.2 ypc); 97 receptions (9.9 ypr)
Norwood began his career with a bang, averaging 6.4, 6.0 and 5.1 yards per carry in his first three seasons while also returning 116 kickoffs for a total of 5400 all purpose yards. In 2009 Norwood missed six games with concussions and a hip flexor, and then tore his ACL in the second game of the 2010 season; last year Norwood had only 24 rushes in nine games for the Rams.

Ronnie Brown, Eagles
Age 31; 6-0, 233; 1182 carries (4.2 ypc); 190 receptions (8.1 ypr)
Philadelphia didnít show much faith in Brown last year. They attempted to trade him for Jerome Harrison in mid-season, and Brown finished with just 42 carries and not a single reception. The Dolphins relied on him quite heavily during his six seasons in Miami; he is probably slowed to the point where he is no longer of any use to an NFL team.

Maurice Morris, Lions
Age 33; 5-11, 202; 909 carries (4.1 ypc); 153 receptions (7.7 ypr)
Although Morris will turn 33 in December, he hasnít taken the pounding players like Brown has because he has always been the number two back. The Lions reportedly have no interest in bringing him back; he would be a low-risk, limited upside short term addition.

Earnest Graham, Buccaneers
Age 32; 5-9, 220; 495 carries (4.3 ypc); 133 receptions (7.0 ypr)
Graham tore his Achilles in October but says he expects to be fully recovered by May. The Florida Gator was exclusively a special teamer for his first three years in the NFL before finally getting a chance in 2007, gaining over 1222 yards from scrimmage and scoring three touchdowns; the past three years he has primarily been used as a fullback. Assuming he is healthy he is another consistent, versatile, low risk option that could still contribute as he has never been over used.

Mewelde Moore, Steelers
Age 30; 5-11, 210; 506 carries (4.5 ypc); 221 receptions (8.7 ypr)
Moore is a player with nearly as many yards receiving (1929) as rushing (2294) in his career. Heís an option as a third-down back.

Jerome Harrison, Lions
Age 29; 5-9, 200; 357 carries (4.7 ypc); 70 receptions (7.0 ypr)
Harrison is the player that was diagnosed with a brain tumor after failing a physical needed to complete a trade for Ronnie Brown last year. If he is medically cleared to play he could represent a very good value at running back. Harrison had 1,082 total yards from scrimmage in 2009 with the Browns.

Cadillac Williams, Rams
Age 30; 5-11, 217; 1073 carries (3.8 ypc); 151 receptions (6.8 ypr)
Williams was clearly overused early in his career and has never been the same since his rookie season. The good news is that his yards per carry in 2011 was the best of his career. The bad news is that it was the first time since 2005 that it was not below four yards per carry.

Derrick Ward, Texans
Age 32; 5-11, 230; 563 carries (4.8 ypc); 101 receptions (8.2 ypr)
Ward parlayed his only good season with the Giants into a big payday with Tampa Bay three years ago, where he lasted just one season. Heís been a third-stringer with Houston the last two years, getting a total of 102 touches during that time. I suppose he could be a short-yardage, goal-line type of guy, but it would make more sense to just use a fullback like Lousaka Polite for that than to use a roster spot on Ward.

Kevin Faulk, Patriots
Age 36; 5-8, 202; 952 carries (4.2 ypc); 482 receptions (8.5 ypr)
Kevin Faulk may indeed be back with the Patriots Ė but if that happens it will be as a coach, not as a player. If not, weíll see him in four years when he gets enshrined into the teamís Hall of Fame.

Sammy Morris, Cowboys
Age 35; 6-0, 220; 737 carries (4.1 ypc); 169 receptions (7.6 ypr)
Morris had 98 yards on 28 carries in three games for the Cowboys last year, after gaining 56 yards on 20 carries for the Pats the previous season. If his age doesnít scare any potential suitors off then that 3.2 yard per carry average over his last two seasons will.

LaDainian Tomlinson, Jets
Can you picture the 33-year old Mr. Classy ever playing for the Patriots? I canít.

Thomas Jones, Chiefs
Age 34; 5-10, 216; 2803 carries (4.0 ypc); 320 receptions (6.6 ypr)
Jones is not only ancient for a running back, he was over used from 2004 to 2010; itís remarkable that he was productive for that long. All that wear and tear showed last year, when he averaged a mere 3.1 yards per carry.

Ryan Torain, Redskins
Age 26; 6-0, 215; 238 carries (4.2 ypc); 24 receptions (6.2 ypr)
Mike Shanahan brought Torain with him from Denver to Washington two years ago, but gave up on him after he averaged just 3.4 yards per carry last year.

Tashard Choice, Bills
Age 28; 5-9, 211; 294 carries (4.4 ypc); 73 receptions (7.6 ypr)
Choice was waived by two teams last year, and the third team he was on does not want him back.

Kregg Lumpkin, Buccaneers
Age 28; 5-11, 222; 33 carries (3.8 ypc); 45 receptions (7.2 ypr)
How badly did the Bucs mis-manage their roster last year? They actually had to depend on Lumpkin, who had two NFL carries in two years, to be their primary back when both LaGarrette Blount and Earnest Graham were injured. If anything he would be an alternative at fullback, not running back.

Chester Taylor, Cardinals
Age 33; 5-11, 213; 1196 carries (4.1 ypc); 312 receptions (7.8 ypr)
Taylor has averaged just 3.02 yards per carry over the last three years, and managed only 168 total yards from scrimmage in 2011.

Lorenzo Booker, Vikings
Age 28; 5-11, 191; 61 carries (3.8 ypc); 47 receptions (7.7 ypr)
What are the chances that the Pats replace LawFirm with a guy who has been cut three times, the last of which was for fumbling three times on just 21 touches? Probably less than the chances that I marry Scarlett Johansson.Not 1 of those guys intrigues me

Redeyejedi
04-05-2012, 11:35 AM
the problem with drafting a RB in this coming draft to fix our running game and to back up Bradshaw is that most rookie RBs take time to develop with learning the playbook, blocking assignments and blitz pickup. If we do draft a RB we might not see much from this guy until next year and if thats true then what about this year. AB is still recovering and we don't know what his outcome will be and the guys behind him are question marks at best. Not many college backs can block

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Not many college backs can block

Not a whole lot of NFL backs are very good at it either

Flip Empty
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Kevin Smith re-signed with the Lions. Hightower would be alright if it weren't for him coming back from ACL surgery.

JesseJames
04-05-2012, 05:12 PM
the problem with drafting a RB in this coming draft to fix our running game and to back up Bradshaw is that most rookie RBs take time to develop with learning the playbook, blocking assignments and blitz pickup. If we do draft a RB we might not see much from this guy until next year and if thats true then what about this year. AB is still recovering and we don't know what his outcome will be and the guys behind him are question marks at best. Not many college backs can block its also starting to look like not too may guys coming out of college know how to tackle either, isn't tackling stressed in college anymore....

myles2424
04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
No FA RBs are interesting.....drafting a RB high makes the most sense right now......Jacobs is gone,Bradshaw can't stay healthy,Scott we have no clue what were getting & would any of us be comfortable having to depend on Danny ware?