PDA

View Full Version : SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S TRIED TO "TAKE OUT" GIANTS' ELI MANNING IN NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

RoanokeFan
04-05-2012, 10:30 AM
SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S TRIED TO "TAKE OUT" GIANTS' ELI MANNING IN NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME (http://www.giants101.com/2012/04/05/san-francisco-49ers-tried-to-take-out-new-york-giants-eli-manning-in-nfc-championship-game/)

"<a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a> quarterback Eli Manning took some brutal hits in the NFC Championship
game – far more than he's accustomed to. In fact, there's now a relatively iconic image (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/891451/eligrass_1.jpg) of him calling for a timeout after being drilled
into the grass, his facemask askew. It was a moment the world woke up and
realized "wow! this guy is tough."

As it turns out however, Manning was likely the target of an unspoken understanding (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/carlos-rogers-confirs-that-gregg-williams-used-bounties-in-d-c/) by the San
Francisco 49ers daunting defense that he was the mouse that made the wheel spin,
and in order to stop the well-oiled Giants offensive machine, he needed to be knocked out of the game (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/carlos-rogers-confirs-that-gregg-williams-used-bounties-in-d-c/).
<blockquote>

“We need to take him out," cornerback Carlos Rodgers said.</p></blockquote>

That message was understood by all members of the 49ers defense, and wasn't
something that needed to be vocalized. However, was there actually a bounty
placed on Manning's head? Rodgers stopped short of saying that specifically.</p>
<blockquote>

“[The payment system is] competition in the [meeting] room … once the ball is
snapped you’re not thinking about it,” he said.</p></blockquote>

Rodgers went on to say the word "bounty" overstates the situation, but added
that the bounty system was in place in D.C. when he played under then defensive
coordinator Gregg Williams. Williams, of course, having recently been suspended
by the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) for a bounty
system he used while with the New Orleans Saints.</p>
<blockquote>

“It went on to guys just suggesting stuff in a room,” Rogers said. “If you
knock this person out, let’s say a receiver, he comes across the middle. Safety
knocks him out, a legal hit, you get this amount of money.”</p></blockquote>

This doesn't necessarily mean there ever was a bounty placed on the head of
Eli Manning, but it does show that the 49ers defense aimed to knock him out of
the game. The question then becomes: where is the line drawn?</p>

It's common nature in competitive sports to target the best players on the
opposing team, and while athletes don't generally try to maim each other, they
do try to break the strongest link. In the case of the <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with New York Giants" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york-giants/" rel="tag nofollow">New York
Giants</a>, that was obviously Eli Manning. And the 49ers obviously tried to
knock him out of the game.</p>

But Big Blue isn't so innocent themselves. Shortly after defeating the 49ers
and advancing to Super Bowl XLVI, linebacker Jacquian Williams and wide receiver
Devin Thomas acknowledged targeting San Francisco wide receiver Kyle Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/giants-knew-kyle-williams-had-concussion-problems-targeted-183400986.html), who they
knew had a history of concussions.</p>
<blockquote>

"The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest
thing, was to take him out of the game," said Jacquian
Williams.</p></blockquote>

Neither Manning or Williams were knocked out of the game, but both sustained
some pretty big hits. And, in the end, Williams dropped the ball while Manning
went on to the Super Bowl.</p>

CTLadyBlue
04-05-2012, 10:44 AM
I can't see comparing the SF D trying to 'take Manning out' to the Giants D 'taking J. Williams' out.

Manning was positively CLOBBERED. Even Francesa couldn't say enough about his toughness the following day.

As for K.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that K. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it

giants2thebowl
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
The Saints have opened pandora's box for this kind of thing being exposed

bansaw
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
its part of the game, always has been, always will be
coaches paying out bounties on the other hand...

but getting best player off field of play no matter what the sport has always been a strategy

not safe for work - profanities - Gregg Williams pregame meeting before SF game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnn9kbqQUA

myself I think its a great speech

GmenFan1980
04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I can't see comparing the SF D trying to 'take Manning out' to the Giants D 'taking J. Williams' out.

Manning was positively CLOBBERED. Even Francesa couldn't say enough about his toughness the following day.

As for J.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that J. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it

Kyle Williams is the San Fran receiver with the concussions. Jacquian Williams is our LB who knocked the ball out of his hand

bELIeve_in_Giants
04-05-2012, 10:56 AM
It was stupid for our players to make those comments, though.

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 10:59 AM
theres nothing wrong with legally hitting a guy to try to keep him from beating you.

Its when they start crossing the line and taking head shots, leg shots, dirty plays in general.

With Kyle Williams, there is no penalty for hitting him up high on kick/punt returns at all.

TrueBlue2180
04-05-2012, 11:00 AM

As for J.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that J. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it

Kyle Williams is the San Fran receiver with the concussions. Jacquian Williams is our LB who knocked the ball out of his hand

Right, and Tyler Sash did put a pretty good lick on Kyle Williams during a punt return earlier in the game.

It's an interesting story, but I don't recall any hits on Eli that were unnecessary or illegal (I could be wrong though). Eli definitely got beat up, and the 49ers got some tough shots in, but that's football. My favorite hit of all time is probably Leonard Marshall destroying Montana (maybe illegal now?).

BigBlue1971
04-05-2012, 11:06 AM
i just think pro football is a game where these type discussions and plays take place all the time. i mean how great would it have beenfor Tuck, Osi, Boleyor any Giants defenderto knockout Rodgers, Smith and/or Brady????!! </P>

i dont see any problem even talking about it! its the nature of the game. </P>

i do think its wrong to put money on a players head tho.</P>

</P>

Bohemian
04-05-2012, 11:11 AM
The Saints have opened pandora's box for this kind of thing being exposed

And the game is better for it.

BigBlue187
04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Great speech? Attack the head and ankles? not to mention his "I got the first one" line while he was making the cash symbol with his thumb middle and index finger lol

giantsfan420
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM

but getting best player off field of play no matter what the sport has always been a strategy

not safe for work - profanities - Gregg Williams pregame meeting before SF game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnn9kbqQUA

thats dispicable, aiming for ACL's and ankles, aiming for the head...he never should be allowed to coach again, he needs to rot in hell

Redeyejedi
04-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Ive said many times I dont think any other QB would of made it through that game or would of forced the ball. I know a lot of Eli detractors that got turned around after that performance. He won a lot of people over with that game.

CTLadyBlue
04-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Thanks. Went back and corrected my original post. Got my Williams' mixed up!

bansaw
04-05-2012, 11:31 AM
meh

I'd be ready to go hurt someone after that...

G-Man67
04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
The Saints have opened pandora's box for this kind of thing being exposed</P>

yeah, i'm not liking any of this ... i made a post saying that this would become a league-wide investigation and i was wrong ... i didnt even factor in congress ... now it may become a league-wide congressional investigation</P>

watching the niners game, they def. wanted to sack Eli, to rough him up, to pressure him up the middle and i can't remember a game, in his Giants career, where he got that much of a beating and still succeeded ... the only thing keeping that game off of the greatest Championship game list is the fact that the Niners haven't been strongin recent yearsand the Giants were 9-7 heading into the playoffs, but trust me ... watching 35+ years of NFL football ... that game was a true classic</P>

finally, when we play Brady, what is the company line? ... to kill the snake you need to cut off it's head ... we go out there with the intent to make it the worst day in Brady's life and probably the only restraint we show is due to penalties ... if we hit him late-penality, if we hit him in the helmet-penalty, if we hit him at the knees penalty ... but anything we can do within the rules, we're doing it</P>

so is the line simply the word Bounty ... cause everything im hearing/seeing seems to be about the word Bounty and then the payment for the Bounty ... if JPP and Tuck make a side bet for most sacks in a game ... well nobody is too concerned ... if Congress gets involved you will hear things like "implied bounty" ... let's just pray for this whole mess to go away</P>

SweetZombieJesus
04-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Just makes me wish we had a road-grater offensive line that would have drilled the 49er defense into the ground.

But having said that, THEY THREW EVERYTHING THEY HAD AT ELI. It was obvious.

AND IT WAS NOT ENOUGH.

BlueReign
04-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Every team uses bounties, without a doubt. The Saints got caught, nothing happened other than the fact they were told to stop, then they were stupid enough to get caught again. It's a part of the game, and as far as I'm concerned, as long as the hits are clean, everything is OK with me.

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Every team uses bounties, without a doubt.

complete and utter falsehood.

BlueReign
04-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Every team uses bounties, without a doubt.

complete and utter falsehood.
No. Not complete and utter falsehood. Bounties are for anything, not just hurting people.If you think there's not a pot for the first pick or first sack on the Giants then you're fooling yourself.

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
No. Not complete and utter falsehood. Bounties are for anything, not just hurting people.If you think there's not a pot for the first pick or first sack on the Giants then you're fooling yourself.

You are completely taking everything out of context then.

A bounty for who gets a sack or an interception has absolutely nothing to do with what the saints did.

BlueReign
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM

A bounty for who gets a sack or an interception has absolutely nothing to do with what the saints did.
I still wouldn't be surprised if this came out from more teams.

buffyblue
04-05-2012, 12:19 PM
San Francisco clobberred Eli Manning and the hits were clean. They played defense in that game the way it is suppossed to be played. They hit him clean and they didn’t hit him late. There is absolutely nothing to complain about in regard to the way they played that game.

That NFC Championship Game was a thing of beauty and was a how games are suppossed to be played. SuperBowl XLVI was also a hard hitting game on defense and was so very refreshing.

When folks start breaking the rules, hitting late while trying to injure a player, continually going for head shots, etc....etc...... then there is a problem.

The hit Justin Tuck laid on Tom Brady in SuperBowl XLVI was clean but he did purposely make sure he drove him down on Tom Brady’s bad shoulder. Nothing wrong with that.

Imposing your will on the QB is a part of the game and is all fair and square when within the rules. San Francisco stayed within the rules and that defense tried its damnest to impose its will on Eli Manning and they couldn’t do it. They found out something a lot of NY Giants fans already knew and that is that Eli Manning is the toughest QB in NFL.

I bELIeve.

GMENAGAIN
04-05-2012, 12:22 PM
Every team uses bounties, without a doubt. complete and utter falsehood.</P>

Stop pretending that you are some mysterious insider that knows whats happening on NFL teams. You have no more idea as to whether bounties are paid by other teams than the rest of us . . . . . </P>

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Stop pretending that you are some mysterious insider that knows whats happening on NFL teams.* You have no more idea as to whether bounties are paid by other teams than the rest of us . . . . .* </P>

please, plenty of players have spoken out against the bounties and have said they would have reported any such thing from their own team.

This "everybody does it" argument is complete crap until you can prove that everybody does in fact do it.

BlueReign
04-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Stop pretending that you are some mysterious insider that knows whats happening on NFL teams. You have no more idea as to whether bounties are paid by other teams than the rest of us . . . . .

</p>

please, plenty of players have spoken out against the bounties and have said they would have reported any such thing from their own team.

This "everybody does it" argument is complete crap until you can prove that everybody does in fact do it.
And you would expect them to come out and say "yeah, we have a similar system"? I also highly doubt any player would go against his team and coaches.

rebelfan1966
04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
I would absolutely have a hard time thinking Patrick Willis would ever involve himself in trying to intentionally injur any player..... Especially Eli Manning.

Now with that being said, he would have no problem sacking him.....

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 12:35 PM
And you would expect them to come out and say "yeah, we have a similar system"? I also highly doubt any player would go against his team and coaches.

so you go ahead and prove the existence of pay to injure bounties on every team in the league.

ny06
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I am getting real tired of this team (49ers)</P>

First they take two of our players (Jacobs, Manningham)</P>

Second there coach can't lose with dignity. And I have to hear the talking heads how there the team to beat next year? I am convinced they will not be any where as good as they were this previous season. They crept on everybody last season, now teams will be going after them. </P>

And this story is really a non story, there were no illegal hits by the 49ers in that game. Pretty much it was an old school NFL game. The refs let them play, and it was just a great game to watch as a fan. Good hard hits from both teams. The 49ers did there best to take our QB out of the game, and they failed miserably. </P>

dezzzR
04-05-2012, 01:04 PM

Other than the acl part I agree.

timmytimm3
04-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Imposing your will on the QB is a part of the game and is all fair and square when within the rules. San Francisco stayed within the rules and that defense tried its damnest to impose its will on Eli Manning and they couldn’t do it. They found out something a lot of NY Giants fans already knew and that is that Eli Manning is the toughest QB in NFL.

I bELIeve.

Well said.

GMENAGAIN
04-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Stop pretending that you are some mysterious insider that knows whats happening on NFL teams. You have no more idea as to whether bounties are paid by other teams than the rest of us . . . . .

</P>

please, plenty of players have spoken out against the bounties and have said they would have reported any such thing from their own team. This "everybody does it" argument is complete crap until you can prove that everybody does in fact do it.</P>

You have had quite a problem with reading comprehension the last few days, huh?</P>

I never said that "everybody does it" . . . . all I said that neither you nor I know whether it happens on other teams or not.</P>

The fact that you assume that noteam other than theSaints has ever doneitbased solely upon the fact that some current players (who have now seen the Commissioner just destroy the Saints with sanctions) have denied doing it is just silly and naive.</P>

gmen0820
04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
The fact that you assume that no*team other than the*Saints has ever done*it*based solely upon the fact that some current players (who have now seen the Commissioner just destroy the Saints with sanctions) have denied doing it is just silly and naive.**</P>If we fans are as ignorant as you say we are, what can we off of OTHER than player testimony?

And why aren't you going after the guy that said every team uses them, "without a doubt"? Slip followed up his definitive statement with one of his own. Do you just fancy Slip?

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 01:41 PM
The fact that you assume that no*team other than the*Saints has ever done*it*based solely upon the fact that some current players (who have now seen the Commissioner just destroy the Saints with sanctions) have denied doing it is just silly and naive.**</P>

I never said no other team ever did it. but this idea that everyone does it is plain moronic.

RagTime Blue
04-05-2012, 01:43 PM
I think a lot of it (the speech on youtube) was just motivational stuff, and coaching style. But about the ACL and hitting in the head (after the whistle). . .that's disgusting, and if that's what the NFL is really about, they will lose this fan.

greenca190
04-05-2012, 01:47 PM

But the reason why congress is becoming involved in this situation isn't for players safety. They might say that to grab attention of the league and media outlets, but the reason is because of un-taxed, under the table money, that is being solicited throughout a HUGE corporation in the NFL.

Congress doesn't give one damn whether a player on the field is targeted to be injured. They care about getting X amount of dollars back from those that have received bounty payments related to anything on the field.

nevada11
04-05-2012, 01:49 PM
This is football. When we play vick we always try to take him out of the game? Right??? This is nothing new, its part of the game

GmenFan1980
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
This is football. When we play vick we always try to take him out of the game? Right??? This is nothing new, its part of the game

So who on our defense has said he wants to "Take out" Vick?

Sack him? sure. hit him if he tries to run? fine. Go out there wanting to injure Vick? I doubt it

slipknottin
04-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Congress doesn't give one damn whether a player on the field is targeted to be injured. They care about getting X amount of dollars back from those that have received bounty payments related to anything on the field.

Not sure where congress got brought into this situation, but...

Congress does care about injuries and class action lawsuits, as well as cheating issues in sports.

Same reason they got involved in the NFL CBA, and were all over the baseball steroid issues.

Now what the IRS has a problem with is a different matter.

nygsb42champs
04-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Eli took one of the worst beatings I have seen a QB take. His toughness should never be questioned.

BeatYale
04-05-2012, 02:49 PM
The media loves dumb players who don't know when to shut their mouth. This includes our LB Williams. He shouldn't be mentioning the Giants acknowledging the fact that Kyle Williams had 4 concussions in the past and that they had an intent to 'knock him out'.

Everyone knows this sorta stuff is talked about and/or maybe even a part of the game plan. However, it shouldn't be thrown out there in the open in everyones face, because it questions the integrity of the team in the public eye. I see it as J. Williams breaking locker room code.

Breezely
04-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I remember vividly how the 49'ers who had just played the Saints, and had knocked out one their running backs, were saying how someone on the Giants team is going to get knocked out. The was the big talk leading up to the game with the Giants. But I didn't see anything wrong with that talk. They were a very physical defense and just beat up the Saints. I didn't see anything wrong with all that.

BeatYale
04-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Every team uses bounties, without a doubt. The Saints got caught, nothing happened other than the fact they were told to stop, then they were stupid enough to get caught again. It's a part of the game, and as far as I'm concerned, as long as the hits are clean, everything is OK with me.

There's a lot of fans, and players who keep voicing their opinion on the matter without understanding what the harsh penalties were actually for. Like that safety Bernard Pollard mentioning how this is going to turn the game into 'flag football' and take away big hits etc.

He (along with a lot of fans) is not understanding that the suspensions and fines weren't for big hits or even big illegal hits. It's the simple fact that the Saints got caught rewarding players for injuring other players. That is against the spirit of the league, it's unethical. It makes the league look bad in the public eye. The suspensions and fines were more harsh than expected, because the Saints were deflecting the NFL's investigation for 2 years.

All that stuff seems to be left out of the dialogue when these idiot players are barking at the media about big hits, incentives for stat production etc. etc. which all have nothing to do with what the Saints were penalized for.

Drez
04-05-2012, 03:19 PM

A bounty for who gets a sack or an interception has absolutely nothing to do with what the saints did. Also, that's not even a bounty. It's called illegal/added/extra incentives/rewards payments. I don't know anyone that really has an issue with players pooling money to reward the first guy to get a sack or pick. And if that's all this was then nothing would have come if it.

GMENAGAIN
04-05-2012, 05:03 PM
The fact that you assume that noteam other than theSaints has ever doneitbased solely upon the fact that some current players (who have now seen the Commissioner just destroy the Saints with sanctions) have denied doing it is just silly and naive.

</P>

If we fans are as ignorant as you say we are, what can we off of OTHER than player testimony? And why aren't you going after the guy that said every team uses them, "without a doubt"? Slip followed up his definitive statement with one of his own. Do you just fancy Slip?</P>

I find Slip to be an irritating, self-important windbag if you must know.</P>

</P>

</P>

nygfanmaybe
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
I was watching a boxing match the other day and both guys were trying to hurt each other.

Why do we accept it in boxing, and accept that hockey players fight routinely and knock teeth out...but we can't accept that football is just as violent as either of those two sports?

JesseJames
04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
I've been a football fan since I was a kid and I'm a grandfather now and I have always heard talk from players about taking a guy out with a hard hit and thats high school, college and pro. This stuff is and has always been part of the game but... for a player to deliberately intend to do serious harm to another player and to do it for money is inexcusable and the players should be kicked out of the league permanently and that goes double for any coach how advocated it...

blueomaha
04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
I've been a football fan since I was a kid and I'm a grandfather now and I have always heard talk from players about taking a guy out with a hard hit and thats high school, college and pro. This stuff is and has always been part of the game but... for a player to deliberately intend to do serious harm to another player and to do it for money is inexcusable and the players should be kicked out of the league permanently and that goes double for any coach how advocated it...agree with you 100%, JJ...i have no sympathy for the saints players, coaches or FO...could you imagine them winning a SB and then this story breaks??...they get what they deserve...

idiotekniQues
04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
eli took hits from the 49'ers but i never felt they were trying to hurt him, and that is my quarterback. but i remember watching the saints play favre in the nfc championship game and it looked to me like they were trying to hurt him. and i don't even like favre.

Kruunch
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
An NFL defense targets the opposing QB ... news at 11:00!

THE_New_York_Giants
04-06-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think they would cheap shot Eli. There is a difference between 10-15 clean hits that result in exhausting and beating up the QB then a below the knee or blatant helmet hit like the Saints commit. Every defense goes into a game thinking "we are going to fr***le this QB by hitting him clean and hard." I want all of the players to have the mindset of "I'm going to hit you clean and I'm going to make it hurt." That was my football mindset at least.

GIANTfaninFL
04-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Eh, its part of the game

buffyblue
04-06-2012, 09:17 PM
The problem is not about players or even coaches saying or offering money to pressure the QB, beat his *** and knock him out the game. The problem is when a coach that doesn't step on the field that represents the organizations mindset starts directing his players to break the rules, make illegal hits and do all they can to injure the player and take him out the game. It tells the player that the team has his back to go out there and to break the rules and do whatever he wants. It is why Peyton Manning had his neck injured in the first place in that game against Washington Redskins. I hope Peyton Manning goes to Gregg Williams house and breaks his face. He would be justified.

JJC7301
04-07-2012, 01:07 AM

As for K.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that K. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it
+1. I believe the Giant players when they say that they weren't talking about going for K. Williams's head -- they just knew that he was prone to concussions and a hard, but legal, hit could get the job done again.

SF seemed to be talking the Saints talk. Big difference. After the drummed up outrage that I saw in some media outlets over the taken-out-of-context quotes of the Giants regarding Williams, I hope to see big focus on the 49ers comments.

slipknottin
04-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Giants never had any intention of hurting Williams out, or giving him a concussion.

What Devin Thomas was saying is that since Williams had a history of concussions, all they had to do was hit him, and that might get williams thinking about his concussions, and perhaps make some mistakes. He wasent targeted to be injured.

Exactly what ended up happening. Absolutely nothing illegal, immoral, or criminal about what the giants did.

giantsfan420
04-07-2012, 07:09 AM
I was watching a boxing match the other day and both guys were trying to hurt each other.

Why do we accept it in boxing, and accept that hockey players fight routinely and knock teeth out...but we can't accept that football is just as violent as either of those two sports?

a rudimentary example: there's a big difference between killing some one in self defense and getting paid money to kill some one.

of course football players know they're going to hit each other and that there will be unlucky injuries. but, when your payed to injure some one that turns the sport from civilized physical contact to deceitful inhumane violence.

GMENAGAIN
04-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Giants never had any intention of hurting Williams out, or giving him a concussion.

What Devin Thomas was saying is that since Williams had a history of concussions, all they had to do was hit him, and that might get williams thinking about his concussions, and perhaps make some mistakes. He wasent targeted to be injured.

Exactly what ended up happening. Absolutely nothing illegal, immoral, or criminal about what the giants did.

So now our resident know-it-all knows what the players' intent was and what they meant by their statements??? You are too much.

The quotes say what they say. Beyond that, you have absolutely no idea what the players' intent was or what they meant by their quotes.

MrDenmark
04-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Hate him! He's talking about taking away a man's way to make a living.

pino
04-09-2012, 03:31 PM
As long as the hit is legal, I have no problem with any player trying to "take out" another. When you hit someone, you want him throwing up, dizzy, sleeping, all of the above. You don't hit someone thinking, "Oh I hope he gets right up after this hit."

My issue is when you are intentionally trying to injure a player with illegal hits (horsecollar, clipping, holding someone for a chop block, helmet to helmet, facemask, etc.) In other words, if Greg Williams was to have a bounty system but encouraged "fair play and legal hits" to do it, then I wouldn't have had a problem with it. That's just me though.

Raptor22
04-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Ive said many times I dont think any other QB would of made it through that game or would of forced the ball. I know a lot of Eli detractors that got turned around after that performance. He won a lot of people over with that game.

I think Favre in his prime would have survived the game. That being said, I'd take Eli to WIN that game. Favre would have survived, but he would also have a much bigger chance of losing that game.

Eli's performance in that game was possibly the best QB performance of the year, and absolutely Rocky-esque (I'm thinking like the fight with Drago in Rocky IV... "He is like IRON!" )

Drez
04-09-2012, 09:16 PM

I think Favre in his prime would have survived the game. That being said, I'd take Eli to WIN that game. Favre would have survived, but he would also have a much bigger chance of losing that game.

Eli's performance in that game was possibly the best QB performance of the year, and absolutely Rocky-esque (I'm thinking like the fight with Drago in Rocky IV... "He is like IRON!" )

Agree with everything you say here.

Sad thing is I've seen people say, "Eli only had an 85 QBR, how good could he have been?" Or, "His QBR that game was 85. He was straight mediocre/average in that game."

I question whether those folks actually watched the game.