PDA

View Full Version : Sanchez vs Eli article

crooza172
04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82817380/article/will-mark-sanchez-progress-like-eli-manning?module=HP11_content_stream

What they fail to say in this article is eli had over 60 LESS pass attempts...in a tougher division. What a BS comparison. You can make stats look like anything if you position them right....

FeaglesPuntsEaglesRunts
04-05-2012, 11:42 AM
People are idiots. They had similar stats one year, so their careers must play out the same?

Eli is the exception to the rule. There are a million intangibles that contributed to his success not only from his own ability to excel under pressure, but the supporting cast. The Jets do not have the supporting cast Eli had. What helped contribute to Eli's success was cutting off the fat, getting rid of the drama queens like Tiki and Shockey, not adding fuel to the fire like the Jets are doing with Tebow.

manning to shockey
04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
While some stats may have been similar as the writer is suggesting I think Eli's inconsistencies early in his career were more game by game rather than Sanchez's play by play inconsistencies.

What I mean is, early in Eli's career he had games where he looked dominate and showed his coolness under pressure. This is something I have never seen from Mark Sanchez, I have never seen Mark completely take over a game. Mark may make a good throw every once in a while but he just doesn't take over the game and look unstoppable. Eli inconsistencies early in his career were he would look dominate one game and then throw 4 picks then next game.

Morehead State
04-05-2012, 12:20 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82817380/article/will-mark-sanchez-progress-like-eli-manning?module=HP11_content_stream What they fail to say in this article is eli had over 60 LESS pass attempts...in a tougher division. What a BS comparison. You can make stats look like anything if you position them right....</P>

Sanchez simply isn't a starting NFL QB. He's a back up quality at best. He is mediocre at every aspect of the game.</P>

I geniunly believe that this will be his last season as the Jets starter.</P>

rebelfan1966
04-05-2012, 01:19 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82817380/article/will-mark-sanchez-progress-like-eli-manning?module=HP11_content_stream What they fail to say in this article is eli had over 60 LESS pass attempts...in a tougher division. What a BS comparison. You can make stats look like anything if you position them right....</P>

Sanchez simply isn't a starting NFL QB.* He's a back up quality at best. He is mediocre at every aspect of the game.</P>

This all may be true.... but it has not been too many years ago that people were saying the same type of things about Eli. I honestly think Sanchez needs another team. Ryan is a carnival barker, the Jets team is a soap opera, NY media is a pressure cooker, and I can't see how any QB can thrive in those conditions. To the Giants credit, Tom Coughlin keeps his emotions and thoughts close to the vest, KG and the same offense have been in place ever since Eli arrived, and other than a few players I won't mention, everyone has rallied behind Eli. That certainly helps....

buffyblue
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Timmy Tebow will be the starting QB for NY Jets by week 8.

Morehead State
04-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Sanchez simply isn't a starting NFL QB. He's a back up quality at best. He is mediocre at every aspect of the game.</P>

This all may be true.... but it has not been too many years ago that people were saying the same type of things about Eli. I honestly think Sanchez needs another team. Ryan is a carnival barker, the Jets team is a soap opera, NY media is a pressure cooker, and I can't see how any QB can thrive in those conditions. To the Giants credit, Tom Coughlin keeps his emotions and thoughts close to the vest, KG and the same offense have been in place ever since Eli arrived, and other than a few players I won't mention, everyone has rallied behind Eli. That certainly helps....</P>

No one ever said that Eli wasn't a legit starting QB in the NFL.</P>

rebelfan1966
04-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Sanchez simply isn't a starting NFL QB.* He's a back up quality at best. He is mediocre at every aspect of the game.</P>

This all may be true.... but it has not been too many years ago that people were saying the same type of things about Eli. I honestly think Sanchez needs another team. Ryan is a carnival barker, the Jets team is a soap opera, NY media is a pressure cooker, and I can't see how any QB can thrive in those conditions. To the Giants credit, Tom Coughlin keeps his emotions and thoughts close to the vest, KG and the same offense have been in place ever since Eli arrived, and other than a few players I won't mention, everyone has rallied behind Eli. That certainly helps....</P>

Of course they did.....As silly as it seems now, there were even people calling for making J-Load the starter over Eli.

thomsoad
04-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Of course they did.....As silly as it seems now, there were even people calling for making J-Load the starter over Eli.

Lets rephrase that... Nobody with any legit football knowledge said that. Pisssed off Giant fans...yes. Any other professional football player, commentator, or QB/Head coach...no

giantsfan420
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Timmy Tebow will be the starting QB for NY Jets by week 8.

i am thinking week 5 the latest...despite Rex saying Sanchez is his guy, u can tell with a guy like Rex when he's enamored by someone, he def. has appreciation for the type of player tebow is. at this point, id say the only reason sanchez is penciled the starter is bc of continuity, not based on who gives the team the best chance to win.

ryan wants to run the ball, and play defense. tebow is the ideal fit for his style of football. sanchez better start off fast otherwise he'll end up digging himself deeper than neverend

MikeIsaGiant
04-05-2012, 02:25 PM
YEAH THIS ARTICLE ISN'T GETTING READ BY ME

gmen0820
04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Sanchez has a lot of limitations as a passer. He needs to be guarded by the scheme, because he can't make the scheme. I think there is a chance that Sparano could work well with him, primarily by running the ball, and implementing a system that relies on short rhythmic timing routes.

Stay ahead of the down and distance and pound the ball.

But I'm not afraid to say that I'd rather have Tebow starting RIGHT NOW. Both are very limited in their abilities when it comes to throwing the ball, but Tebow is ten times the leader that Sanchez is, as well as more mobile. I'd rather have a bunch of fluke wins than none at all.

Can Sanchez develop over time? I think he can. He can improve his accuracy, anticipation, and decision making, but where he differs from Eli is work ethic.

You could make the argument that Eli gets more credit than he should in some aspects of his game (prior to this year, this year he was as close to impeccable as it gets), but Eli doesn't get enough credit in other aspects as well. We forget that since about the time he has been starting, he sets the run game at the line, he adjusts the protection, he makes the calls. People blame Gilbride for some shortcomings, but that system is tailored to Eli, and we saw what happens when it clicks and everyone is on the same page. It is a spectacle.

But the only reason we can say that is because Eli has characteristics that can almost never be coached up -- among them being: his clutch performances, pocket presence (which has improved, significantly this year I might add, but if you don't have it to begin with, you almost never develop it), anticipation, and the ability to make stick throws. This is why Eli is very scheme diverse, and the closest thing to not being a system QB.

By the way, system QB is not a bad term. Almost every QB is a system QB and manipulated by scheme. But there are universal QB traits and characteristics that separate QBs like Eli and QBs like Matt Flynn -- who breaks down under collapsing pockets, and hasn't shown much more than average skills as a passer.

Eli flashed a lot prior to last year, his potential was clear as day. He showed that he possessed every one of those universal traits, and last year he put them on display very consistently. Sanchez though, I really haven't seen much to believe he has those skills. He is a solid complimentary QB, average-below average head honcho.

nevada11
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I think Sanchez needs to be with an offensive-minded coach.

Look at what Jim Harbaugh was able to do with Alex Smith. If Sanchez had a presence like that he could probably develop better than he is now

giantsfan420
04-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Sanchez has a lot of limitations as a passer. He needs to be guarded by the scheme, because he can't make the scheme. I think there is a chance that Sparano could work well with him, primarily by running the ball, and implementing a system that relies on short rhythmic timing routes.

But I'm not afraid to say that I'd rather have Tebow starting RIGHT NOW. Both are very limited in their abilities when it comes to throwing the ball, but Tebow is ten times the leader that Sanchez is, as well as more mobile. I'd rather have a bunch of fluke wins than none at all.

Can Sanchez develop over time? I think he can. He can improve his accuracy, anticipation, and decision making, but where he differs from Eli is work ethic.

You could make the argument that Eli gets more credit than he should in some aspects of his game (prior to this year, this year he was as close to impeccable as it gets), but Eli doesn't get enough credit in other aspects as well. We forget that since about the time he has been starting, he sets the run game at the line, he adjusts the protection, he makes the calls. People blame Gilbride for some shortcomings, but that system is tailored to Eli, and we saw what happens when it clicks and everyone is on the same page. It is a spectacle.

But the only reason we can say that is because Eli has characteristics that can almost never be coached up -- among them being: his clutch performances, pocket presence (which has improved, significantly this year I might add, but if you don't have it to begin with, you almost never develop it), anticipation, and the ability to make stick throws. This is why Eli is very scheme diverse, and the closest thing to not being a system QB.

By the way, system QB is not a bad term. Almost every QB is a system QB and manipulated by scheme. But there are universal QB traits and characteristics that separate QBs like Eli and QBs like Matt Flynn -- who breaks down under collapsing pockets, and hasn't shown much more than average skills as a passer.

Eli flashed a lot prior to last year, his potential was clear as day. He showed that he possessed every one of those universal traits, and last year he put them on display very consistently. Sanchez though, I really haven't seen much to believe he has those skills. He is a solid complimentary QB, average-below average head honcho.

great post although I will add that Sanchez is also a putrid intermediate to deep throw passer. which is kinda ironic bc Tebow, for all his flaws, actually throws a better deep ball imho...

gmen0820
04-05-2012, 02:45 PM

great post although I will add that Sanchez is also a putrid intermediate to deep throw passer. which is kinda ironic bc Tebow, for all his flaws, actually throws a better deep ball imho...That's true. Tebow was definitely far from gun shy, the kid goes after it.

BeatYale
04-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I think Sanchez needs to be with an offensive-minded coach.

Look at what Jim Harbaugh was able to do with Alex Smith. If Sanchez had a presence like that he could probably develop better than he is now

Harbaugh and Smith are bad examples. The 49ers were a defensive minded team with emphasis on not turning the ball over on offense. The offense, all season and during the playoffs, revolved around gimmick throws to the RB's and TE. They completed only 1 pass to a WR in the NFC championship game against the Giants.

If you go back and watch their playoff game against the Saints you'll notice those late drives in the 4th Q involved a lot of dump offs to the RB and poor tackling by the Saints. Smith wasn't dropping back in the pocket and going through his progressions making throws down field like it's some kind of high octane offense. It was the complete opposite. Drop back, make 1 read and then check off. They didn't trust Smith enough.

I'm in California, we get all the 49er games here. Special teams and defense were the strong points of the 49ers.

Norv Turner is a much better example of a QB friendly, offensive minded coach.

yoeddy
04-05-2012, 05:20 PM
If you put Sanchez on the Giants (coaching staff and all), I don't know if he succeeds the same way as Eli has...Eli has a reputation for having great work-ethic, studies the game. Sanchez, by some accounts, is lazy in comparison...not sure if Sanchez would be a harder worker under a better coach (like Coughlin), or if he would crumble under the demands of a coach like Coughlin...

NY4U2
04-05-2012, 05:27 PM
lol when Sanchez get some SB rings then we can start to compare until then... not a comparison

gmen0820
04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
If you put Sanchez on the Giants (coaching staff and all), I don't know if he succeeds the same way as Eli has...Eli has a reputation for having great work-ethic, studies the game. Sanchez, by some accounts, is lazy in comparison...not sure if Sanchez would be a harder worker under a better coach (like Coughlin), or if he would crumble under the demands of a coach like Coughlin...Sanchez would be better in the sense that we have a better offensive coaching staff that could better suit the offense for Sanchez, than what the Jets have.

Wether Sanchez is lazy or not, he would have a better offensive staff to work with. In some capacity, that would translate to better play.

But I don't know how Coughlin or the team would react if their QB was lazy, or if he was selfish, or a bad leader, so lets put that aside, and just switch the constants.

Drez
04-05-2012, 06:33 PM

Stay ahead of the down and distance and pound the ball....

Kinda funny, I was saying damn near the same exact thing at work yesterday to the FNG who's a Jets fan.

Drez
04-05-2012, 06:34 PM
If you put Sanchez on the Giants (coaching staff and all), I don't know if he succeeds the same way as Eli has...Eli has a reputation for having great work-ethic, studies the game. Sanchez, by some accounts, is lazy in comparison...not sure if Sanchez would be a harder worker under a better coach (like Coughlin), or if he would crumble under the demands of a coach like Coughlin...Sanchez would be better in the sense that we have a better offensive coaching staff that could better suit the offense for Sanchez, than what the Jets have.

Wether Sanchez is lazy or not, he would have a better offensive staff to work with. In some capacity, that would translate to better play.

But I don't know how Coughlin or the team would react if their QB was lazy, or if he was selfish, or a bad leader, so lets put that aside, and just switch the constants.

I think we should also differentiate between putting up better stats and actually being better.

B&RWarrior
04-05-2012, 06:37 PM
I did an Eli vs Sanchez comparison for the first three years. It's about even for every year if you pro rate the # of games played every year. I think comparing players on different teams in different systems at the same position is a difficult task.

Eli had superior receivers and a superior RB, while the Jets had a superior offensive line and a superior defense,

Sanchez's defense is on the decline and so is his running game. While our running game was at its best in Eli's 4th year.

The Tebow move was a mistake. Sanchez IS a starting QB. Before this year Everybody questioned Eli's ability to LEAD this team to another championship. He's always had the coaches and teammates support, but I can still remember TC being critical of him in a press conference. I remember him saying "Accuracy will always be an issue with him", referring to Eli.

I think before last year most fans complained about Eli but agreed that there really wasn't a better available option out there. This year we lost our running game and for most of the season our defense was Swiss cheese and Eli put the team on his back.

gmen0820
04-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Before this year Everybody questioned Eli's ability to LEAD this team to another championship. He's always had the coaches and teammates support, but I can still remember TC being critical of him in a press conference. I remember him saying "Accuracy will always be an issue with him", referring to Eli.

There is the difference. Eli had organizational support, Sanchez doesn't. A lot of players in the locker room don't like him, and his GM, coach, and owner signed off on a trade for a QB who will absolutely put the utmost pressure on him, and on a leash short and tight enough to strangle him.

Dirt66
04-05-2012, 06:52 PM
There is no Sanchez vs. Eli.......One needs to look over his shoulder for Tebow while the other is an ELIte QB in the NFL with two Super Bowl trophies and Super Bowl MVPs. The only thing they have in common is where they play...PERIOD! <FONT color=#000080>GO GIANTS!!!!!</FONT>

TuckYou
04-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Who is this Mark Sanchez you speak of? </P>

I saw an article today that said The Defending Champion New York Giants take on Tim Tebow and the Jets in a week 2 preseason battle. </P>

</P>

yoeddy
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Another consideration is whether or not Sanchez has the mental capacity to operate Gilbride's offense. By all accounts (including Kurt Warner, Tim Hasslebeck, and others), it's complex and puts a lot on a QB's shoulders...does Sanchez have the mental fortitude to handle it?

gmen0820
04-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Another consideration is whether or not Sanchez has the mental capacity to operate Gilbride's offense. By all accounts (including Kurt Warner, Tim Hasslebeck, and others), it's complex and puts a lot on a QB's shoulders...does Sanchez have the mental fortitude to handle it?I can't speak to that, but I highly doubt that he has a third of Eli's work ethic to work to figure it out.

But keep in mind, Gilbride's only QB here has been Eli, because he was promoted late in 2006.

JJC7301
04-07-2012, 10:41 PM
It's a stupid comparison, but I think that Sanchez can be a good NFL QB.

The way that I see it is that Sanchez was sabotaged by his coaches and FO by weakening his O-line, moving away from a strong running game, and giving a 3rd year QB prima donnas or past-their-prime WRs to throw to. That was sabotage.

Sanchez will never be as good as Eli and Eli has a better FO and smarter coaches to support him.

BK07071
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82817380/article/will-mark-sanchez-progress-like-eli-manning?module=HP11_content_stream

What they fail to say in this article is eli had over 60 LESS pass attempts...in a tougher division. What a BS comparison. You can make stats look like anything if you position them right....

Sanchez couldn't even shine Eli's shoes! There is no comparison. Eli proved what he could do and did it very well too. Anyone that knows anything about football can see that there is a huge difference between being a two time "super bowl mvp" and a mediocre QB that a big mouth coach with half a brain conjured up as an elite QB. Remember the fuss over Sanchez when he was drafted by the Jets? Now after three or four years the Jets are having their doubts and want to ad someone to draw more fans to fill the seats.

jomo
04-07-2012, 11:18 PM

I geniunly believe that this will be his last season as the Jets starter.</P> This all may be true.... but it has not been too many years ago that people were saying the same type of things about Eli. I honestly think Sanchez needs another team. Ryan is a carnival barker, the Jets team is a soap opera, NY media is a pressure cooker, and I can't see how any QB can thrive in those conditions. To the Giants credit, Tom Coughlin keeps his emotions and thoughts close to the vest, KG and the same offense have been in place ever since Eli arrived, and other than a few players I won't mention, everyone has rallied behind Eli. That certainly helps....Sanchez is too small to see over his linemen and his arm strength is suspect. To say he led his team to playoff wins isa joke. He was a game manager with an overwhelming defense keeping him in the game and a running game which opened up some simple play action pass routes.

buffyblue
04-08-2012, 09:54 AM
They are still writing articles comparing Sanchize and Eli?

That in itself shows just how bored everyone must be without NFL.

It is so funny because I still run into NY Jets fans that say Sanchize is better than Eli and they almost always attribute Eli's success to the offensive line when they just don't realize that NY Giants probably have the worst offensive lkine in NFL. Then again there are still folks that swear up and down that Mike Vick is better than Eli Manning.

Folks are going to make stupid comparisons and can find some type of stupid stat that will help their argument.

bleedinblue27
04-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Really? this topic again??</P>

Sanchez will loss his starting job this year then the debate can be layed to rest!!</P>

Eli 2x World Champions &amp; 2x Super Bowl MVP</P>

Sanchez........was in the playoffs a few times!</P>

LETS GO DEVILS!!!</P>

</P>