PDA

View Full Version : Linval

egyptian420
12-09-2011, 07:23 AM
This kid is a Beast. Not the best pass rusher but a great run stuffer. 9 solo tackles last game, this guy is a wall. This was his best game in his 2 years, do you guys think he will continue to keep this up? I can't wait to see how he does against Murray.

Slunk3AM
12-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Barring any serious injuries and provided he works hard... I think Linval is really gonna be a problem for opposing offenses. Guy as he is is already a monster. Love watching him play.

egyptian420
12-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Barring any serious injuries and provided he works hard... I think Linval is really gonna be a problem for opposing offenses. Guy as he is is already a monster. Love watching him play.
Agreed, I hope Austin follows in his footsteps. If they can both play at a starting caliber we can get rid of Canty. I like the guy but he is definitely way overpaid and taking up money that could be used to repair numerous other problems.

nygsb42champs
12-09-2011, 07:53 AM
He is starting to play well. They need him to be that big bodied run stuffer.

TuckYou
12-09-2011, 08:26 AM
"Linval Joseph is a beast"</P>

There goes his ACL...</P>

NY_Eli
12-09-2011, 09:54 AM
He's looked great. I think Austin has more potential to be a pass rusher but Joseph fills a very important role with this team. You need someone who can clog up the line of scrimmage.

RoanokeFan
12-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Agreed, I hope Austin follows in his footsteps. If they can both play at a starting caliber we can get rid of Canty. I like the guy but he is definitely way overpaid and taking up money that could be used to repair numerous other problems.

+1

Spizi
12-09-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm excited for the future! Joseph taking up double teams and Austin running a 4.8 @ 310lbs lol

juice33s
12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
This from CBS rapid reports:

<table id="RapidReportsTable" class="RR" cellspacing="0"><tbody id="RapidReportsTableData"><tr class="rr" valign="top"><td class="team" align="left" width="45">http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nfl/logos/50x50/NYG.png (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/NYG)</td><td class="nopad" align="left">
</td><td align="left"><p class="textConainer">Dec. 8, 2011 5:16 p.m. (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16366830) - by Alex Raskin - Fewell impressed by Joseph's 'fire' (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/16366830)
Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell praised DT Linval Joseph (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/1265317/linval-joseph)
’s 10-tackle performance against the Packers for the “passion” and
“fire” he played with, saying that it was the best he’s seen from
Joseph. Fewell says Joseph still shares a role with DT Rocky Bernard (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/player/301984/rocky-bernard) and is getting around 35 to 40 snaps per game. Giants RapidReports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/NYG)</p></td></tr></tbody></table>

BlueSanta
12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Jospeh's stats are almost identical to Chris Canty despite many fewer snaps.

Canty makes $5.5 mil this year and Jospeh makes $405k

Mr Excitement
12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
"Linval Joseph is a beast"</p>

There goes his ACL...</p>

lol...God let's hope not...lol

juice33s
12-09-2011, 11:19 AM

Whose been taking the majority of the double teams this season, Joseph or Canty?

juice33s
12-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Game tape from cards game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtIJB5R6W3k)

I'm impressed, lets hope he stays healthy and keeps developing

BlueSanta
12-09-2011, 11:28 AM

Whose been taking the majority of the double teams this season, Joseph or Canty?

True Canty's position requires him to line up in a spot forces offenses to double team him more. But that primarily on rushing plays. On passing plays the double is far less common for either, yet Jospeh has 2 sacks to Canty's 1.

Furhtermore, Canty has lined up at end a good number of times which would easily give him the opportunity to make up any stat deficiency he would suffer due to double teams at tackle. And lastly, Jospeh and Canty actually switch quite often depending on the offensive formation. On many plays Jospeh is the guy eating double teams.

burier
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM

True Canty's position requires him to line up in a spot forces offenses to double team him more. But that primarily on rushing plays. On passing plays the double is far less common for either, yet Jospeh has 2 sacks to Canty's 1.

Furhtermore, Canty has lined up at end a good number of times which would easily give him the opportunity to make up any stat deficiency he would suffer due to double teams at tackle. And lastly, Jospeh and Canty actually switch quite often depending on the offensive formation. On many plays Jospeh is the guy eating double teams.

seriously...lets not pretend
Canty is some sort of monster. He makes a play here and there when there's a blown assignment on the oline. He takes plays off and gets paid hasomely for it. Talks a big game doesn't back it up and isn't as busy as Joseph.

He needs to take a drastic paycut or get outta dodge.

GameTime
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM

seriously...lets not pretent Canty is some sort of monster. He makes a play here and there when there's a blown assignment on the oline. He takes plays off and gets paid hasomely for it. Talks a big game doesn't back it up and isn't as busy as Joseph. He needs to take a drastic paycut or get outta dodge.</P>

yeah....I keep waiting for him to be aconsistent disruption in the middle but he is not. He has the size and his attitude seems right during his interviews. He either is just not a top player or he plays lazy. </P>

</P>

GiantWarfare
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
LJ's been quite effective this season....surprisingly so at times...

He has been a wall as of late...

I honestly can't wait till we finally have that monster DT on the frontline to go w/ our D-Ends and LJ is on the right path to becoming just that....

TuckYou
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Lival is outperforming Canty and is paid a lot less.</P>

Tolly and JPP are outperforming Tuck and Osi and are paid a lot less.</P>

Guys like Petrus,Booth are outperforming Baas and Diehl, while getting paid a lot less.</P>

Cruz is blowing up and get paid diddly.</P>

There is a reason behind this. </P>

The guys that arent making the$$$ yet, are building their resumes toget that $$$ while the guys who got that $$$ are playing it safe and taking plays off. It happens on every team, every year. The underdog, less known players seem to have more spark anda better motor fora reason. </P>

egyptian420
12-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Lival is outperforming Canty and is paid a lot less.</p>

Tolly and JPP are outperforming Tuck and Osi and are paid a lot less.</p>

Guys like Petrus,Booth are outperforming Baas and Diehl, while getting paid a lot less.</p>

Cruz is blowing up and get paid diddly.</p>

There is a reason behind this. </p>

The guys that arent making the$$$ yet, are building their resumes toget that $$$ while the guys who got that $$$ are playing it safe and taking plays off. It happens on every team, every year. The underdog, less known players seem to have more spark anda better motor fora reason. </p>
Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

It's kind of like the music industry, when artists are unsigned and just building up their fan base and releasing independently produced/original stuff and it's amazing....then after they become corporate mainstream artists and they suck ####....same scenario different line of business....What's the moral here? Money destroys ppl lol

egyptian420
12-09-2011, 12:30 PM

Canty is some sort of monster. He makes a play here and there when there's a blown assignment on the oline. He takes plays off and gets paid hasomely for it. Talks a big game doesn't back it up and isn't as busy as Joseph.

He definitely needs a pay cut.....tell me you've seen Linval's sack dance/celebration where he's doing the money sign with his hands....I wonder what he's hinting at and I wonder how nervous Canty is getting when he sees Linval's performance.

BlueSanta
12-09-2011, 12:50 PM

He definitely needs a pay cut.....tell me you've seen Linval's sack dance/celebration where he's doing the money sign with his hands....I wonder what he's hinting at and I wonder how nervous Canty is getting when he sees Linval's performance.

Thats what I remarked in the other thread about Reese.

I have nothing against Canty, he is a decent player. But his contract is a cancer. When Linval's agent comes into our FO to negotiate resigning in a couple years, whos contract do you think he is going to reference in regards to how much Joseph deserves in pay? Think he might allude the Canty's contract? I think he will. I know I would.

We already know Coefield, who vastly outperformed Canty, wanted to be paid like him. We couldnt afford to because we chose to make Chris our highest paid defensive player despite only being a 2 down player. Coefield played all 3 downs and was far more effective.

Spizi
12-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Lival is outperforming Canty and is paid a lot less.</P>

Tolly and JPP are outperforming Tuck and Osi and are paid a lot less.</P>

Guys like Petrus,*Booth are outperforming Baas and Diehl, while getting paid a lot less.</P>

Cruz is blowing up and get paid diddly.</P>

There is a reason behind this. </P>

The guys that arent making the*$$$ yet, are building their resumes to*get that $$$ while the guys who got that $$$ are playing it safe and taking plays off. It happens on every team, every year. The underdog, less known players seem to have more spark and*a better motor for*a reason. *</P>

That's what seperates the truly great players. They get their money and keep playing hard.

Rich4114
12-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Linval has been the best DT on this team this year. He was getting limited snaps early on it seemed and since he's been in more our run D has improved. He is the strongest guy on the team I believe which is what you want on an interior defensive or offensive lineman.

And all I know is that in Madden, he is the only Giants DT I can bull rush someone with. So there's that too.

burier
12-09-2011, 03:47 PM

I have nothing against Canty, he is a decent player. But his contract is a cancer. When Linval's agent comes into our FO to negotiate resigning in a couple years, whos contract do you think he is going to reference in regards to how much Joseph deserves in pay? Think he might allude the Canty's contract? I think he will. I know I would.

We already know Coefield, who vastly outperformed Canty, wanted to be paid like him. We couldnt afford to because* we chose to make Chris our highest paid defensive player despite only being a 2 down player. Coefield played all 3 downs and was far more effective.

I can't imagine that he not asked to take a paycut this off season. I won't call him a bust but he's been dissapointing. He was supposed to be total stud and the first thing he did after he signed the contract was get injured which is why I categorically disagree with signing free agent DTs. Its seems like they always end up ripping you off.

I like Joseph but we need one more player. Reese hasn't really knocked it out of the park on free agent yet so he may want to delegate the scouting with a bit more gusto.

And he needs fix some of these mistakes...I mean how much money is Rocky Bernard making to do absolutely nothing for 3 years?

Couple that with Canty's and Baas's bloated contract and we've got alot of restructuring to do.

myles2424
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM

I'm glad someone else sees this.....canty has made a few nice TFL & then will disappear.........I wouldn't be mad about grabbing another DT in the draft & showing canty the door,cantys due even more $$ next year....

TuckYou
12-09-2011, 04:00 PM

seriously...lets not pretend Canty is some sort of monster. He makes a play here and there when there's a blown assignment on the oline. He takes plays off and gets paid hasomely for it. Talks a big game doesn't back it up and isn't as busy as Joseph. He needs to take a drastic paycut or get outta dodge.

We already know Coefield, who vastly outperformed Canty, wanted to be paid like him. We couldnt afford to because we chose to make Chris our highest paid defensive player despite only being a 2 down player. Coefield played all 3 downs and was far more effective.

I can't imagine that he not asked to take a paycut this off season. I won't call him a bust but he's been dissapointing. He was supposed to be total stud and the first thing he did after he signed the contract was get injured which is why I categorically disagree with signing free agent DTs. Its seems like they always end up ripping you off. I like Joseph but we need one more player. Reese hasn't really knocked it out of the park on free agent yet so he may want to delegate the scouting with a bit more gusto. And he needs fix some of these mistakes...I mean how much money is Rocky Bernard making to do absolutely nothing for 3 years? Couple that with Canty's and Baas's bloated contract and we've got alot of restructuring to do.</P>

Eli Manning should not be making as much as he is either, even with this season he is having. We are in trouble big time if he doesnt restructure soon.</P>

<TABLE class=salaryTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<THEAD>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class="header salaryYear"></TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt"> Base Salary </TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt">S. Bonus</TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt"> Misc. Bonus</TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt"> Cap Hit</TD></TR></THEAD>
<TBODY>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2009</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 7,500,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">1,857,142 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">- </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 9,357,142 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2010</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 6,500,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">10,940,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2011</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title=""> 8,500,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title="">1,857,142 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title=""> 2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title="">12,940,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2012</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 10,750,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">15,190,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2013</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 13,000,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">17,440,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2014</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 15,150,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">19,590,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2015</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title=""> 17,000,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">21,440,475 </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

RoanokeFan
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Lival is outperforming Canty and is paid a lot less.</p>

Tolly and JPP are outperforming Tuck and Osi and are paid a lot less.</p>

Guys like Petrus,Booth are outperforming Baas and Diehl, while getting paid a lot less.</p>

Cruz is blowing up and get paid diddly.</p>

There is a reason behind this. </p>

The guys that arent making the$$$ yet, are building their resumes toget that $$$ while the guys who got that $$$ are playing it safe and taking plays off. It happens on every team, every year. The underdog, less known players seem to have more spark anda better motor fora reason. </p>

This is, sadly, true. It seems like <font size="6">BIG CONTRACT</font> = <font size="1">DIMINISHED PERFORMANCE <font size="3">is the norm any more.</font></font>

burier
12-09-2011, 04:22 PM

seriously...lets not pretend Canty is some sort of monster. He makes a play here and there when there's a blown assignment on the oline. He takes plays off and gets paid hasomely for it. Talks a big game doesn't back it up and isn't as busy as Joseph. He needs to take a drastic paycut or get outta dodge.

We already know Coefield, who vastly outperformed Canty, wanted to be paid like him. We couldnt afford to because* we chose to make Chris our highest paid defensive player despite only being a 2 down player. Coefield played all 3 downs and was far more effective.

I can't imagine that he not asked to take a paycut this off season. I won't call him a bust but he's been dissapointing. He was supposed to be total stud and the first thing he did after he signed the contract was get injured which is why I categorically disagree with signing free agent DTs. Its seems like they always end up ripping you off. I like Joseph but we need one more player. Reese hasn't really knocked it out of the park on free agent yet so he may want to delegate the scouting with a bit more gusto. And he needs fix some of these mistakes...I mean how much money is Rocky Bernard making to do absolutely nothing for 3 years? Couple that with Canty's and Baas's bloated contract and we've got alot of restructuring to do.</P>

Eli Manning should not be making as much as he is either, even with this season he is having. We are in trouble big time if he doesnt restructure soon.</P>

<TABLE class=salaryTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0>
<THEAD>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class="header salaryYear"></TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt">** Base Salary****** </TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt">S. Bonus</TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt">***** Misc. Bonus</TD>
<TD class="header salaryAmt">**** Cap Hit</TD></TR></THEAD>
<TBODY>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2009</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">* 7,500,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">- </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">** 9,357,142 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2010</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">* 6,500,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">***** 2,583,333************ </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">10,940,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2011</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title="">* 8,500,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title="">1,857,142 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title="">***** 2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end currentYear " title="">12,940,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2012</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">* 10,750,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">***** 2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">15,190,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2013</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">* 13,000,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">****** 2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">17,440,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2014</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">* 15,150,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">***** 2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">19,590,475 </SPAN></TD></TR>
<TR class=salaryRow>
<TD class=salaryYear>2015</TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">* 17,000,000 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">1,857,142*** *</SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">2,583,333 </SPAN></TD>
<TD class=salaryAmt><SPAN class="end " title="">21,440,475 </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

Not that I necessarily disagree but good luck trying to get him to restructure now. If Reese was going to restucture Eli the time to do it was after 25 pick season...not a lets say 14 pick season with Nearly 5 grand is passing yards and 30 some TDs.

Next year if we get the running game going Eli's numbers should come down a bit and maybe we can wiggle out of some of the money we owe him.

But if we don't overpay for Manningham

Get some money back from Canty, Bernard, Baas (Tuck? Osi? Rolle?...Damn we have a lot of overpaid players on our team) then we should be ok,

BlueSanta
12-09-2011, 05:02 PM

And he needs fix some of these mistakes...I mean how much money is Rocky Bernard making to do absolutely nothing for 3 years? .

I agree with everything you said except this. Bernard was actually cut this year then later resigned. While the terms are not disclosed, it is reportedly for much less, possibly even the league minimum. His staying with the team is likely only because of the injury to Marvin Austin and Martin Parker. I think Reese is a good drafter but his free agent signings have been poor.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Austin needs ALOT of work. Potential is definately there, but if you watch his east west game highlights, he is getting single coverage alot by OL and he gets stood up alot. He has a motor, but he looks super raw. I cant wait to see him refine his skills bc on some plays, the QB was running for his life away from Austin. He's pretty fast for a DT. And he looks mean. haha

miked1958
12-09-2011, 09:45 PM
He's looked great. I think Austin has more potential to be a pass rusher but Joseph fills a very important role with this team. You need someone who can clog up the line of scrimmage.
Can't wait till next season to see them play size by side

FlyingTruck
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Austin needs ALOT of work. Potential is definately there, but if you watch his east west game highlights, he is getting single coverage alot by OL and he gets stood up alot. He has a motor, but he looks super raw. I cant wait to see him refine his skills bc on some plays, the QB was running for his life away from Austin. He's pretty fast for a DT. And he looks mean. hahaWe seem to do good with developing raw defensive linemen though. He should be in good form in a year or two.

egyptian420
12-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Austin needs ALOT of work. Potential is definately there, but if you watch his east west game highlights, he is getting single coverage alot by OL and he gets stood up alot. He has a motor, but he looks super raw. I cant wait to see him refine his skills bc on some plays, the QB was running for his life away from Austin. He's pretty fast for a DT. And he looks mean. hahaWe seem to do good with developing raw defensive linemen though. He should be in good form in a year or two.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xVm4f6PdsI

I think he's still very raw but he's definitely got the intangibles. I think Linval is more of a run stuffer and Austin is more of a pass rusher. As raw as he is, look how fast he gets off the snap in that video. I think another offseason and some rotation next year can really help this kid become a dominant threat.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-09-2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xVm4f6PdsI

I think he's still very raw but he's definitely got the intangibles. I think Linval is more of a run stuffer and Austin is more of a pass rusher. As raw as he is, look how fast he gets off the snap in that video. I think another offseason and some rotation next year can really help this kid become a dominant threat.

Agreed...I cannot wait to see him get a season or two under his belt.