PDA

View Full Version : Worst 1st round pick in Giants history?

allentown PA
04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Based off of the decision to make the pick and just how bad the player turned out to be who do you feel was the worst pick?

my vote goes to Cedric Jones..5th overall..total bust imo

TheBookOfEli
04-10-2012, 06:45 PM
I agree on Cedric Jones.

William Joseph was also a terrible pick.

FroZeNx31x
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Eli Manning

THE_New_York_Giants
04-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Everyone from the drafts from 1962-78 just flat out sucked.

Kase-1
04-10-2012, 07:31 PM
The 11th overall pick of the 2000 NFL Draft....... Ron 'No Gain' Dayne

Martyr
04-10-2012, 07:35 PM
I would say betweenDayne or Joseph. I think Joseph had even less of a impact then Dayne though</P>

eastbayblue
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Jarrod Bunch anyone?

jmike
04-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Purely from the benefit of hindsight it would be Derek Brown, there wasn't a 1st round pick in my lifetime that produced so little. At least Dayne, Jones and Lewis produced something.

If you are looking at the worst pick based on the decision to draft him, I would go with Lewis. He was looked upon as a reach at best and a marginal prospect by most let alone a 1st round pick. The only way that could be recovered is if he went on to an all time career and even then he might have been grabbed with the 2nd round pick.

Dayne and Jones get honorable mention in both categories.

allentown PA
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Jarrod Bunch anyone?

yea..never got taking a fullback in the 1st round..he was good though before the injuries..good blocker.

NYG55nwo
04-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Jarrod Bunch anyone?
</P>

At least Jarrod Bunch showed promise until that injury. Ron Dayne was horrible at best. </P>

slipknottin
04-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Philip Rivers. Bum never even played a down for the giants

Shockeystays08
04-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Rocky Thompson 1970? RB. Derek Brown a close second.

cornerback30
04-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Jarrod Bunch anyone?
exactly cuz

jomo
04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Cedric Jones is my choice but you have to get Thomas Lewis into the discussion.</P>

GMENAGAIN
04-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Based off of the decision to make the pick and just how bad the player turned out to be who do you feel was the worst pick? my vote goes to Cedric Jones..5th overall..total bust imo</P>

Do you want to feel even worse about that pick? Look at who was picked at number 26 that year . . . . </P>

moecoastie
04-11-2012, 03:03 AM
I gotta agree with Jarrod Bunch. I literally do not remember him playing at all. i think he wore number 33. I atleast remember some of the other players mentioned.

jomo
04-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Based off of the decision to make the pick and just how bad the player turned out to be who do you feel was the worst pick? my vote goes to Cedric Jones..5th overall..total bust imo</P>

Do you want to feel even worse about that pick? Look at who was picked at number 26 that year . . . . </P>In the second round they chose Amani Toomer which almost made up for Cedric Jones, although it took Amani more than a few years to blossom. They followed that up with Roman Oben and Danny Kannell and a few others who didn't contribute at all. Over all this 1996 draft was a stinker. Jmike calls that draft the turning point for our front office. They realized how ill prepared they were and went about getting it right.................They've gotten it right.

jmike
04-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I gotta agree with Jarrod Bunch. I literally do not remember him playing at all. i think he wore number 33. I atleast remember some of the other players mentioned.
Your bad memory isn't Jarrod's fault. He was looking really good both blocking and running and could even catch a bit. Until he was hurt he was looking to be worth every bit of the last pick in the 1st round. Bunch doesn't sniff the top of this list MO because his failing was injury and he wasn't picked until the end of the 1st. William Joseph, Ron Dayne, Cedric Jones, Ty Wheakley, Thomas Lewis, Dave Brown, and Derek Brown all rank as worse off the top of my head.

GMENAGAIN
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM

Do you want to feel even worse about that pick? Look at who was picked at number 26 that year . . . . </P>

In the second round they chose Amani Toomer which almost made up for Cedric Jones, although it took Amani more than a few years to blossom. They followed that up with Roman Oben and Danny Kannell and a few others who didn't contribute at all. Over all this 1996 draft was a stinker. Jmike calls that draft the turning point for our front office. They realized how ill prepared they were and went about getting it right.................They've gotten it right.</P>

The story was that the Giants were sure that at least one of the guys drafted in the top 4 would be available for them and were not prepared when none of them were. Hard to imagine that they hadn't planned for that possibility, but that's what allegedly happened . . . . . </P>

nycsportzfan
04-11-2012, 10:39 AM
cedric jones hands down, no questions asked...

fletch842
04-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Do you want to feel even worse about that pick?* Look at who was picked at number 26 that year . . . . </P>

In the second round they chose Amani Toomer which almost made up for Cedric Jones, although it took Amani more than a few years to blossom. They followed that up with Roman Oben and Danny Kannell and a few others who didn't contribute at all. Over all this 1996 draft was a stinker. Jmike calls that draft the turning point for our front office. They realized how ill prepared they were and went about getting it right.................They've gotten it right.</P>

The story was that the Giants were sure that at least one of the guys drafted in the top 4 would be available for them and were not prepared when none of them were.* Hard to imagine that they hadn't planned for that possibility, but that's what allegedly happened . . . . . </P>
The crime of that draft is how far Ray Lewis dropped. He or Marvin Harrison were the players to pick still on the boards, in hindsight.

Roswell777
04-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Dave Brown. While not technically a first rounder, he cost the Giants a first rounder.

There's that, and the fact that he set the franchise back four years.

GiantPride27
04-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Philip Rivers.

Good thing they corrected it quickly

ShakeNBake
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Ron Dayne. The guy was 11th overall, heisman winner, two time rose bowl mvp had all the potential in the world but failed miserably because his fatass wouldn't lose weight.

Joe Morrison
04-12-2012, 07:59 PM
Jarrod Bunch?