PDA

View Full Version : DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

RoanokeFan
04-10-2012, 07:41 PM
DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8283689e/article/drew-brees-says-he-wants-explanation-for-paytons-suspension)

"Though New Orleans Saints (/teams/neworleanssaints/profile?team=NO)
quarterback Drew Brees (/players/drewbrees/profile?id=BRE229498) largely
sidestepped questions about his team's "bounty" scandal on Tuesday, the reigning
NFL Offensive Player of the Year said he maintained his team had been improperly
punished.

Speaking at a press conference for his golf tournament in Carlsbad, Calif.,
Brees said a distinction needed to be made between "pay for performance" and a
reward system for injuring players.</p>

</p><div id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_622" class="articleText">

"I would say what we've been accused of in regards to pay for injury is not
the case," Brees said.</p>

Brees also explained that when he tweeted "looking for an explanation" after
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the team's penalties, he was only
questioning the season-long suspension to coach Sean Payton.</p>

"I was talking about my head coach. I wasn't referring to anybody else," said
Brees, who also told reporters he had yet to receive an explanation for Payton's
punishment.</p>

Brees added that the audio of former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg
Williams <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_852" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=%2009000d5d82819b3a" target="new">encouraging his
players to injure specific players</a> on the San Francisco 49ers (/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF) before a
playoff game "was hard for everybody to hear."</p>

Asked if "bounty" systems were prevalent in the NFL, Brees said he thought
defensive players are aggressive by nature.</p>

"I know this -- when a guy has an opportunity to take a shot at the
quarterback, he's going to take it," Brees said. "I'm not saying he's trying to
end a career or give you a concussion. But between the knees and the neck, he's
trying to take you out every time. That's just football -- we play a violent
game."</p>

Since Goodell announced Wednesday he upheld the penalties against the Saints,
Brees had not heard of any possible replacements for Payton this season. With
Bill Parcells electing to remain retired, the Saints will <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_854" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8283385f" target="new">promote from
within the organization</a> for an interim coach, a league source told NFL
Network insider Jason La Canfora.</p>

In addition to Payton's suspension, assistant head coach Joe Vitt has been
suspended six games and general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for
eight games. Williams has not appealed his indefinite suspension."</p></div>

WR4Life
04-10-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's an explanation Drew. He sat around and did nothing when Williams was doing it.

RoanokeFan
04-10-2012, 07:49 PM
DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8283689e/article/drew-brees-says-he-wants-explanation-for-paytons-suspension)

sidestepped questions about his team's "bounty" scandal on Tuesday, the reigning
NFL Offensive Player of the Year said he maintained his team had been improperly
punished.

Brees, who also told reporters he had yet to receive an explanation for Payton's
punishment.</p>

Williams <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_852" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=%2009000d5d82819b3a" target="new">encouraging his
players to injure specific players</a> on the San Francisco 49ers (/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF) before a

game."</p>

Bill Parcells electing to remain retired, the Saints will <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_854" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8283385f" target="new">promote from

It is possible Brees hasn't listened to Williams tape?

titwio
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Cmon, Goodell...."The Brees has spoken"!

jmike
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM

punished.

punishment.</p>

game."</p>

He claims he heard it, maybe he just doesn't know what an ACL is. You don't tell somebody to take out a players ACL and expect it to be taken as anything other then you want them to hurt the player. It is like telling someone to shoot another in the head and then claim you didn't expect him to think I wanted him dead.

RoanokeFan
04-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Here's an explanation Drew. He sat around and did nothing when Williams was doing it.

That really is what it boils down to. It has been widely reported that there were repeated inquiries and warnings from the NFL none of which resulted in the Saints stopping the activity. The Head Coach is where the buck is supposed to stop. Not only didn't it stop, it seems to have escalated as the warnings were being given. If Payton didn't know Williams continued the bounty program he didn't want to know. This is the result

RoanokeFan
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM

And for his second act, he'll now hold out for a better contract lol

RoanokeFan
04-10-2012, 07:59 PM

punished.

punishment.</p>

game."</p>

He claims he heard it, maybe he just doesn't know what an ACL is. You don't tell somebody to take out a players ACL and expect it to be taken as anything other then you want them to hurt the player. It is like telling someone to shoot another in the head and then claim you didn't expect him to think I wanted him dead.

Well said!

NYGRealityCheck
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM

And for his second act, he'll now hold out for a better contract* lol

I'd be very surprised if Brees himself forgot about his own contract amidst all this bounty scandal with the Saints.

I won't put that on him. He's very thorough on the field and probably off the field too. It's probably the Saints organization having no time for contract talks now because of the bounty scandal and having to deal with the aftermath.

GMENAGAIN
04-10-2012, 09:07 PM
I used to love Brees, but he was annoying during the lockout, then when this whole bounty thing started he couldn't come out and deny knoledge of it fast enough . . . .and now he's demanding an explanation from Goodell . . . . .just play football dude</P>

It's hard to imagine that such a self-trumpeted leader had no idea that the bounties were happening on "his" team . . . . .</P>

</P>

Drez
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
I believe in the NCAA they call it, "Lack of institutional control."

I think that fits this situation to a T.

Drez
04-10-2012, 09:16 PM

I'd be very surprised if Brees himself forgot about his own contract amidst all this bounty scandal with the Saints.

I won't put that on him. He's very thorough on the field and probably off the field too. It's probably the Saints organization having no time for contract talks now because of the bounty scandal and having to deal with the aftermath.

He's going to have to get going on that. His GM is scheduled to be suspended in just a few short months, lol.

WR4Life
04-10-2012, 09:37 PM
I used to love Brees, but he was annoying during the lockout, then when this whole bounty thing started he couldn't come out and deny knoledge of it fast enough . . . .*and now he's demanding an explanation from Goodell . . . . .just play football dude</P>

It's hard to imagine that such a self-trumpeted leader had no idea that the bounties were happening on "his" team . . . . .</P>

*</P>

Over the last few years, I've grown to dislike Brees. Last year put the icing on the cake with his and the Saints relentless pursuit of all the records. Glad they have nothing to show for it.

RoanokeFan
04-10-2012, 09:40 PM

They applied the franchise tag and Brees has, to date, refused to sign.

NYGRealityCheck
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM

We both know the franchise tag is an insult to him.

Brees will hold out until he gets what he wants. Arguably one of the best QBs in the league will not play for $14.4 mil for one year (even though that's a lot of money to the average person). I think he wants a long-term deal and the biggest contract in the NFL. As we all know, the Saints are going nowhere fast right now with the punishment handed to them and Brees knows that. He's not going to miss a beat by holding out.

RoanokeFan
04-11-2012, 08:34 PM

Brees will hold out until he gets what he wants. Arguably one of the best QBs in the league will not play for $14.4 mil for one year (even though that's a lot of money to the average person). I think he wants a long-term deal and the biggest contract in the NFL. As we all know, the Saints are going nowhere fast right now with the punishment handed to them and Brees knows that. He's not going to miss a beat by holding out.

The rules, under the new CBA which Brees was instrumental in implementing, allow the Saints the franchise tag option. Those very same rules do not allow a player to hold out without consequence. He will be fined about $30,000.00 for every day he holds out which, as you suggest, won't cause him to "miss a beat."

I do feel bad that in some circles #14M annual salary is below the poverty line. I have a very hard time imagining that kind of money being an insult.

NYGRealityCheck
04-11-2012, 08:54 PM

The rules, under the new CBA which Brees was instrumental in implementing, allow the Saints the franchise tag option.* Those very same rules do not allow a player to hold out without consequence.* He will be fined about $30,000.00 for every day he holds out which, as you suggest, won't cause him to "miss a beat."

I do feel bad that in some circles* #14M annual salary is below the poverty line.* I have a very hard time imagining that kind of money being an insult.

I wish i can find some reference material in this situation, but I think that $30,000 per day fine does not apply to him or any franchised player that does not sign the franchise tag/offer. They are simply not under contract to play until they sign. Fining them to force them to sign the contract doesn't make sense.

The exclusive franchise tag just gives the team sole negotiation rights to that specific player for next season. The player is not forced to sign the franchsie tag offer (what's the point of requiring a signature then?) I think they have the option to hold out and not play next season. A fellow franchised player Cliff Avril is also standing by his word to hold out until he get what he wants. I think the $30K per day fine applies to players that are already under legally binding signed contracts to play but want to hold out to re-negotiate a bigger contract or for whatever reason.

jomo
04-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Here's an explanation Drew. He sat around and did nothing when Williams was doing it.Aparently Brees isn't smart enough to understand that on his own?? Thanks for explaining it to the dim wit.</P>

AND BY THE WAY, isn't he the players' rep down there? He's got no problem with his teammates intentionally injuring other players? My dad, a union worker, would roll over in his grave.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-11-2012, 08:58 PM

The rules, under the new CBA which Brees was instrumental in implementing, allow the Saints the franchise tag option. Those very same rules do not allow a player to hold out without consequence. He will be fined about $30,000.00 for every day he holds out which, as you suggest, won't cause him to "miss a beat."

I do feel bad that in some circles #14M annual salary is below the poverty line. I have a very hard time imagining that kind of money being an insult.

I wish i can find some reference material in this situation, but I think that $30,000 per day fine does not apply to him or any franchised player that does not sign the franchise tag/offer. They are simply not under contract to play until they sign. Fining them to force them to sign the contract doesn't make sense.

The exclusive franchise tag just gives the team sole negotiation rights to that specific player for next season. The player is not forced to sign the franchsie tag offer (what's the point of requiring a signature then?) I think they have the option to hold out and not play next season. A fellow franchised player Cliff Avril is also standing by his word to hold out until he get what he wants. I think the $30K per day fine applies to players that are already under legally binding signed contracts to play but want to hold out to re-negotiate a bigger contract or for whatever reason.

So, assuming you're right, Brees would elect to earn nothing rather that $14M? Now his position on bounty-gate makes sense.

NYGRealityCheck
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM

The rules, under the new CBA which Brees was instrumental in implementing, allow the Saints the franchise tag option.* Those very same rules do not allow a player to hold out without consequence.* He will be fined about $30,000.00 for every day he holds out which, as you suggest, won't cause him to "miss a beat."

I do feel bad that in some circles* #14M annual salary is below the poverty line.* I have a very hard time imagining that kind of money being an insult.

So, assuming you're right, Brees would elect to earn nothing rather that $14M?* Now his position on bounty-gate makes sense.

Depends how much $14 mil for one year is worth to him. :)
Without signing the tag offer, he's still a free agent but with absolutely no negotating power because of the team's tag application. We both know that.

If he's really really upset at the Saints organization with that franchise tag, he should sign the $14 mil guaranteed and play like Mark Sanchez. There is no performance requirement. lol..