PDA

View Full Version : Chandler Jones, Syracuse - Our first round pick?

CGYgiant
04-12-2012, 02:30 PM
How many people would like this pick?

According to Mayock his stock is on the rise and I think he can fit in as a perfect replacement to Justin Tuck down the line. At the moment, our depth behind Justin Tuck is weak. A strong side end like Jones I think makes sense because I really don't think he lasts until our second round pick. Besides, the Giants have already shown a ton of interest in him and he fits the Giants mold (long and athletic).

Thoughts?

Raptor22
04-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Its possible, but I think there will be better prospects sitting there at 32.

GiantPride27
04-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Love the pick at 64

GMENAGAIN
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
Love the pick at 64</P>

. . . except that he won't be there . . . . </P>

CGYgiant
04-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Its possible, but I think there will be better prospects sitting there at 32.

There might be but it all depends on what the Giants value. I think they value Jones more then most teams would and I really think he can be a difference maker in the run and pass. Much like JPP.

he's not as athletic as JPP but I think he does provide great value at the end of the first.

GiantPride27
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Love the pick at 64</P>

*. . . except that he won't be there . . . . </P>

hes a mid to late 2nd rounder

GMENAGAIN
04-12-2012, 03:59 PM
Love the pick at 64</P>

. . . except that he won't be there . . . . </P>

hes a mid to late 2nd rounder</P>

I guess we'll see . . .. my bet is that he goes in the first.</P>

gmen0820
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
I could see the Patriots (if god forbid they don't trade out) taking him in the first.

BlueSanta
04-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Ive been on record as saying I think Jones is aguy we are looking at precisely because he is a left end.

We do not have a LDE aside from Tuck, who's injuries have been on the rise of late.

Last year in Tuck's absence we used 3 guys at his spot:

JPP did ok, but his numbers were way down on this side compared to how dominant he is on the right side. Putting him on the left makes us weaker at 2 positions.

Canty did well vs the run, but his passrush wasnt. His time at that position didnt last long because of it. Besides, space eaters like him do their best work in the middle.

Tolly did pretty well vs the pass, but suffered vs the run and he isnt on the team anymore anyways.

Realistically, we do not have anyone suited to help spell Tuck, or even eventually replace him.

Furthermore, looking forward there are 3 key end rushers on this roster going to FA soon. Kiwi, Tuck and Osi are all potentially off the roster in the next couple years.

Lastly, the Giants have a long history of drafting guys they brought in for interviews. Jones was 1 of the 1st guys (if not the 1st) brought in for an interview.

Personaly, I like Jones and think he would fit well. I also warn against anyone who thinks that Reese's big board would look anything like any of the mock's we have seen. Using other internet mocks as a guide to a guys value to the Giants is like saying "Porche's stink because nobody is Haiti buys them."

gmen0820
04-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Ive been on record as saying I think Jones is aguy we are looking at precisely because he is a left* end.

We do not have a LDE aside from Tuck, who's injuries have been on the rise of late.

** JPP did ok, but his numbers were way down on this side compared to how dominant he is on the right side. Putting him on the left makes us weaker at 2 positions.

Canty did well vs the run, but his passrush wasnt. His time at that position didnt last long because of it. Besides, space eaters like him do their best work in the middle.*

Tolly did pretty well vs the pass, but suffered vs the run and he isnt on the team anymore anyways.

Realistically, we do not have anyone suited to help spell Tuck, or even eventually replace him.

Furthermore, looking forward there are 3 key end rushers on this roster going to FA soon. Kiwi, Tuck and Osi are all potentially off the roster in the next couple years.

Lastly, the Giants have a long history of drafting guys they brought in for interviews. Jones was 1 of the 1st guys (if not the 1st) brought in for an interview.

Personaly, I like Jones and think he would fit well. I also warn against anyone who thinks that Reese's big board would look anything like any of the mock's we have seen. Using other internet mocks* as a guide to a guys value to the Giants is like saying "Porche's stink because nobody is Haiti buys them."

+1

I've been a big Chandler Jones fan from during the year. He has definitely climbed since, just like Vinny Curry, another guy I had as a huge sleeper, before the league woke up on him.

CGYgiant
04-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Ive been on record as saying I think Jones is aguy we are looking at precisely because he is a left end.

JPP did ok, but his numbers were way down on this side compared to how dominant he is on the right side. Putting him on the left makes us weaker at 2 positions.

Canty did well vs the run, but his passrush wasnt. His time at that position didnt last long because of it. Besides, space eaters like him do their best work in the middle.

Personaly, I like Jones and think he would fit well. I also warn against anyone who thinks that Reese's big board would look anything like any of the mock's we have seen. Using other internet mocks as a guide to a guys value to the Giants is like saying "Porche's stink because nobody is Haiti buys them."

+1

I've been a big Chandler Jones fan from during the year. He has definitely climbed since, just like Vinny Curry, another guy I had as a huge sleeper, before the league woke up on him.

Yeah, I see great value if we were to pick him up at 32. His length should be excellent in the run and pass game. I think it would be a natural progression from Justin Tuck who is a very similar player.

Raptor22
04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

+1

Yeah, I see great value if we were to pick him up at 32. His length should be excellent in the run and pass game. I think it would be a natural progression from Justin Tuck who is a very similar player.

I prefer Nick Perry in the 1st. His burst and strength are simply awesome, as is his length. He's already a natural run defender. Also, he's been adding weight this offseason and has stated at least once that he wants to be a 43 DE, not a 34 OLB (which should turn off about half the teams in the league, making him more likely to be available at 31).

Neverend
04-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Dislike Chandler Jones at 32. I think there are better pass rushers

Just because you have great length doesnt alone make you a great pass rusher. There are other pass rushers in this draft that possess very good length (not AS good as jones) and great pass rushing qualities to go along with it.

Nick perry is an excellent example like raptor said. Also like branch and mercilus better. We could do worse than jones though

Danny1024
04-12-2012, 10:33 PM
The Giants normally draft for value and this guy is being pegged as a 2nd round pick by almost everybody. If he's still there at #64 then I'm all for it but not at #32.

XxBigWhitxX
04-12-2012, 10:56 PM
Id take Mercilus, Perry, Crawford, Coples, and Devon Still over him. he's just too stiff looking and really doesn't stand out to me. My dream pick at 32 is Nick Perry. guy has size, speed, and strength.

BlueSanta
04-12-2012, 11:09 PM
The Giants normally draft for value and this guy is being pegged as a 2nd round pick by almost everybody. If he's still there at #64 then I'm all for it but not at #32.

Again, where a guy is "pegged" by a bunch of internet spewsayers has no bearing on where Reese values this guy.

Mayock seems to value Jones as a possible late 1st rounder, so Reese might as well.

I think the chances of him being gone by 32 are bigger then they are of him being available at 64, thats for sure.

Guys who can play the left end position are not easy to come by. Fans seem to think you can just switch a guy over there and all will work out, he will transition. Thats just not how it works. Its akin to asking a right handed person to write left handed. That's how awkward it can be.

jomo
04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
Yep

Captain Chaos
04-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Yep</P>

I'm on board with that. You never know how the board will shape up and what value will be available at 32. Who knows, if Reese doesn't see value at 32 he could trade down to find some...</P>

GMENAGAIN
04-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Again, where a guy is "pegged" by a bunch of internet spewsayers has no bearing on where Reese values this guy.

Mayock seems to value Jones as a possible late 1st rounder, so Reese might as well.

I think the chances of him being gone by 32 are bigger then they are of him being available at 64, thats for sure.

Guys who can play the left end position are not easy to come by. Fans seem to think you can just switch a guy over there and all will work out, he will transition. Thats just not how it works. Its akin to asking a right handed person to write left handed. That's how awkward it can be.
</P>

+1</P>

juice33s
04-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Good length, strength, and motor, but lacks elite athleticism that all top pass rushers possess. Never really beats tackles around the edge and usually just relies on a bull rush move. I don't really like his body type, looks as if he'll never gain the explosiveness needed no matter how much time he spends in the weight room. IMO kind of a tweener at this point, either he slims down and stays at 4/3 end or he bulks up 20+ pounds and plays the 3/4 five-tech.

(Note: When I say tweener, his NFL comparison is literally right between Kiwanuka and Canty)

Let me add though that if it was between Jones and Mercilus I would take Jones:

I really don't see anythign that great about Mercilus. He lacks the length, agility and quickness to get pressure off the edge and imo looks to be kind a stiff athlete. I think he's been kind of over rated by the stats he put up this past season....Not really the type of DE the Giants tend to look for. So to sum up Jones&gt;Mercilus

Neverend
04-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Good length, strength, and motor, but lacks elite athleticism that all top pass rushers possess. Never really beats tackles around the edge and usually just relies on a bull rush move. I don't really like his body type, looks as if he'll never gain the explosiveness needed no matter how much time he spends in the weight room. IMO kind of a tweener at this point, either he slims down and stays at 4/3 end or he bulks up 20+ pounds and plays the 3/4 five-tech.

Agreed. He may have freaky long arms but hes not the prospect JPP was. JPP, at least, showed some flashes of downright dominance and was actually explosive and quick coming off the edge.

Jones at times has some burst, but for the most beats tackles with power or rip/swats techniques. He doesnt seem explosive to me. I think, like brockers, his upside is overrated. You're getting a 6-8 sack guy in the NFL, I don't see his ceiling all that high. Dislike him

BlueSanta
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Well again, it has no bearing on where Reese may have him valued, but the 2 guys most respected for their understanding of player ability and value, Mayock and Casserly, both have Jones as a late 1st round talent now. Casserly has him going to NE at 27.

tonyt830
04-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Well again, it has no bearing on where Reese may have him valued, but the 2 guys most respected for their understanding of player ability and value, Mayock and Casserly, both have Jones as a late 1st round talent now. Casserly has him going to NE at 27.
yeah I saw that with Casserly's mock.

But like you said, it depends on where Reese has him on his big board. I would love him at 64, but like most people would agree, he most likely will be gone there. If the Giants pull the trigger on him at 32, I would be fine with it.

I would like to see a DE addressed in the draft as well as DT.

Speaking of Casserly's mock, he has the Giants selecting Hightower at 32 and Schwartz at 64.

Neverend
04-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Speaking of Casserly's mock, he has the Giants selecting Hightower at 32 and Schwartz at 64.

Ugh... Hightower's talents, as it stands currently, would be a waste on this defense. Schwartz is right up there in terms of run blocking as one of the best in this class, but his pass protection leaves a lot to be desired. Would live with it, but mostly dislike that draft

TuckYou
04-15-2012, 10:44 AM
See this is the problem with offseasons. I made a thread on Chandler Jones after the college football season. Being a Cuse fan, I have seen him play a bunch. He is a very good DE. He was originally listed as a 3rd rounder, so I thought we would be good to get him with pick 63. But somehow from the end of college football to now, without one snap being played, he shot up boards and is now a possible 1st round pick. He is not worth the first round grade. He would of been a great pick in the end of the 2nd, but not the 1st. This is disappointing cause I really like him, but he will not be Reeses pick at 32.

hugehomer
04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
No to Chandler Jones and Zach Brown at 32.