PDA

View Full Version : Dequan Menzie

lawl
04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Looking for some opinions on him.

Is he a safety in the NFL like mayock says?

Where do you expect him to go if he's drafted to play corner...ditto for safety?

Likes, dislikes, etc

nycsportzfan
04-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Looking for some opinions on him. Is he a safety in the NFL like mayock says? Where do you expect him to go if he's drafted to play corner...ditto for safety? Likes, dislikes, etc I think the giants will show some interest, becasue of his versatility and size/speed.. I think guys like Menzie, Leonard Johnson, Stephone Gilmore, Omar Bolden, are gonna all be somewhere on reeses board...</P>

I hope Casey Hayward is on his board as well...</P>

gmen0820
04-12-2012, 06:58 PM
He can play outside corner, but his value is inside covering the slot.

He is physical against the run, can blitz, cover shifty slot receivers. He would be very valuable to any defense. This kid can be a true riser on draft day.

slipknottin
04-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Doesnt really fit what the giants look for. Could be a valuable nickelback for a lot of teams in the league though.

jomo
04-12-2012, 07:28 PM
He can play outside corner, but his value is inside covering the slot. He is physical against the run, can blitz, cover shifty slot receivers. He would be very valuable to any defense. This kid can be a true riser on draft day.That sounds like my kind of player.

gmen0820
04-12-2012, 07:34 PM
He can play outside corner, but his value is inside covering the slot. He is physical against the run, can blitz, cover shifty slot receivers. He would be very valuable to any defense. This kid can be a true riser on draft day.That sounds like my kind of player.Yeah I like him too, but like Slip says, rarely do we target corners of his size.

I think some team will fall in love with what he can bring, and take him in the 3rd. Plus, I see T2 as being just as viable a slot corner. He is physical, he can blitz, if his knee is okay he can cover. I expect T2 to have Rolle's job as the nickel back.

Joe Morrison
04-12-2012, 07:50 PM
He can play outside corner, but his value is inside covering the slot. He is physical against the run, can blitz, cover shifty slot receivers. He would be very valuable to any defense. This kid can be a true riser on draft day.That sounds like my kind of player.Yeah I like him too, but like Slip says, rarely do we target corners of his size. I think some team will fall in love with what he can bring, and take him in the 3rd. Plus, I see T2 as being just as viable a slot corner. He is physical, he can blitz, if his knee is okay he can cover. I expect T2 to have Rolle's job as the nickel back.</P>

We're all pulling for Thomas but he is going to be a long way off till mid season. </P>

nycsportzfan
04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
He can play outside corner, but his value is inside covering the slot. He is physical against the run, can blitz, cover shifty slot receivers. He would be very valuable to any defense. This kid can be a true riser on draft day.That sounds like my kind of player.Yeah I like him too, but like Slip says, rarely do we target corners of his size. I think some team will fall in love with what he can bring, and take him in the 3rd. Plus, I see T2 as being just as viable a slot corner. He is physical, he can blitz, if his knee is okay he can cover. I expect T2 to have Rolle's job as the nickel back. Corners of his size? Hes just about 5ft 11in and over 200lbs... I think he'd interest Reese bigtime to be honest... Hes aggresive, good with the ball in the air, versatile, hustle player..etc </P>

The giants just resigned Bruce Johnson whos 5ft 11in 182lbs.. Prince Amukumura and Menzie are almost identical in size, with Prince being a inch taller and 4lbs heavier... Justin Tryon just got resigned and hes only 5ft 9in 183lbs.. I would put Menzie in the TT/WEBSTER/PRINCE size/measurables category over guys like Tryon and Johnson... Hes closer to the that group then Tryon and Johnson...</P>

lawl
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
For some reason I thought he was like 6'1"

nycsportzfan
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
For some reason I thought he was like 6'1" Your probably thinking about Mark Barron, whos 6ft 1in...

Shockeystays08
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I got a feeling your not that thrilled with my opinions but I am pretty familiar with Menzie since I live in Alabama and am SURROUNDED by Bama fans! First Nick Saben loves this kid and feels he has what it takes to play In the NFL . The previous comment that he is suited to cover the slot is correct. He is an annoying pesky pain in the butt to anyone trying to get free from him. He is not a hard hitter but a very good tackler. His projection to Safety must be cause of his 4.6 40. he has good game speed, good angles to the ball sidesteps blockers. I have not seen him in the safety spot so I can't say much on that projection. He is a quality kid and a very good football player. On a side note Reuban Randle could do little vs. Menzie. 2 games - total 5 catches for a miserable 32 yards an no score!

Shockeystays08
04-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I got a feeling your not that thrilled with my opinions but I am pretty familiar with Menzie since I live in Alabama and am SURROUNDED by Bama fans! First Nick Saben loves this kid and feels he has what it takes to play In the NFL . The previous comment that he is suited to cover the slot is correct. He is an annoying pesky pain in the butt to anyone trying to get free from him. He is not a hard hitter but a very good tackler. His projection to Safety must be cause of his 4.6 40. he has good game speed, good angles to the ball sidesteps blockers. I have not seen him in the safety spot so I can't say
much on that projection. He is a quality kid and a very good
football player. On a side note Reuban Randle could do little vs.
Menzie. 2 games - total 5 catches for a miserable 32 yards an no
score!

I guess I should add Dre Kirkpatrick contributed the the shut down of Randle but when Menzie had Randle coverage it was lights out! Menzie was targeted all year because of Kirkpatrick but teams had little success.

lawl
04-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I got a feeling your not that thrilled with my opinions but I am pretty familiar with Menzie since I live in Alabama and am SURROUNDED by Bama fans! First Nick Saben loves this kid and feels he has what it takes to play In the NFL . The previous comment that he is suited to cover the slot is correct. He is an annoying pesky pain in the butt to anyone trying to get free from him. He is not a hard hitter but a very good tackler. His projection to Safety must be cause of his 4.6 40. he has good game speed, good angles to the ball sidesteps blockers. I have not seen him in the safety spot so I can't say
much on that projection. He is a quality kid and a very good
football player. On a side note Reuban Randle could do little vs.
Menzie. 2 games - total 5 catches for a miserable 32 yards an no
score!

I guess I should add Dre Kirkpatrick contributed the the shut down of Randle but when Menzie had Randle coverage it was lights out! Menzie was targeted all year because of Kirkpatrick but teams had little success.

Thanks for.the input.

After learning his height I dont think the giants will draft him to play safety.

Shockeystays08
04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking your right.

slipknottin
04-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Corners of his size? Hes just about 5ft 11in and over 200lbs...*

Giants are a very strict height/weight/speed team.

Menzie has good size, but is not a speed guy.

Thomas is the slowest CB Ive seen them draft, and he ran a 4.45. Menzie ran a 4.75....

Redeyejedi
04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
For some reason I thought he was like 6'1" Your probably thinking about Mark Barron, whos 6ft 1in...He could of been listed at that before the combine measurements.

nycsportzfan
04-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Corners of his size? Hes just about 5ft 11in and over 200lbs... Giants are a very strict height/weight/speed team. Menzie has good size, but is not a speed guy. Thomas is the slowest CB Ive seen them draft, and he ran a 4.45. Menzie ran a 4.75.... So, u don't think there gonna be interested in Leonard Johnson either then? I remember u guys saying we only like CBS with certain size, but yet we re-signed both Bruce Johnson and Justin Tryon..I think Menzie and Leonard Johnson both fall right into the category that Reese likes... I don't think Reese goes only one way on any positon, it just seems that way.. It just goes that way sometimes, and overtime, i'm all most positive you'll see guys of all diffrent shapes and sizes and speeds get drafted.. Just because over a few yr stretch, we've drafted 4or 5 cb's, and signed a couple more, there mostly all 6fters and what not, then thats all we draft or sign... </P>

Thats my opinion anyways...</P>

Redeyejedi
04-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Corners of his size? Hes just about 5ft 11in and over 200lbs...* Giants are a very strict height/weight/speed team. Menzie has good size, but is not a speed guy. Thomas is the slowest CB Ive seen them draft, and he ran a 4.45. Menzie ran a 4.75....** So, u don't think there gonna be interested in Leonard Johnson either then?* I remember u guys saying we only like CBS with certain size, but yet we re-signed both Bruce Johnson and Justin Tryon..**I think Menzie and Leonard Johnson both fall right into the category that Reese likes...* I don't think Reese goes only one way on any positon, it just seems that way..* It just goes that way sometimes, and overtime, i'm all most positive you'll see guys of all diffrent shapes and sizes and speeds get drafted..* Just because over a* few yr stretch, we've drafted 4or 5 cb's, and signed a couple more, there mostly all 6fters and what not, then thats all we draft or sign... </P>

Thats my opinion anyways...</P>Giants have the tallest Defense in the NFL its not an accident.They look for taller players for the base defense. They do need smaller quicker guys for specific match ups though

Neverend
04-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Marvin Austin is only 6'1 and has 32 inch arms.

Not terrible, obviously, but I'm getting tired of the over generalizations people make about the giants not drafting a prospect b/ of size/speed/strength factor. Maybe they value them less, but dont think they'll just remove a corner off their board because he's about a half inch less in height than what they value in corners

Redeyejedi
04-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Not terrible, obviously, but I'm getting tired of the over generalizations people make about the giants not drafting a prospect b/ of size/speed/strength factor. Maybe they value them less, but dont think they'll just remove a corner off their board because he's about a half inch less in height than what they value in cornersNot removed but its obvious they like height specifically in their defenders

lawl
04-14-2012, 12:57 AM
There was a quote from Fewell when Tryon got hurt saying that Tryon didnt have the size that they typically like, but he still played well.</P>

Size is absolutely factored in.</P>

BlueSanta
04-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Menzie isnt the athlete he was prior to his Achillies tear.

Its too bad because he once had a bright future. But, his injury was pretty severe. He will likely not get his sped back and without it, he isnt an NFL corner. Luckily for him he is a heady player too who might just work out well at the safety position.

Redeyejedi
04-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Not terrible, obviously, but I'm getting tired of the over generalizations people make about the giants not drafting a prospect b/ of size/speed/strength factor. Maybe they value them less, but dont think they'll just remove a corner off their board because he's about a half inch less in height than what they value in cornersIn this particular case he was talking about Menzies lack of speed

gmen0820
04-14-2012, 01:12 PM
I was under the impression he was 5'10, but I was always aware he was slower.

Neverend
04-14-2012, 01:51 PM

Not terrible, obviously, but I'm getting tired of the over generalizations people make about the giants not drafting a prospect b/ of size/speed/strength factor. Maybe they value them less, but dont think they'll just remove a corner off their board because he's about a half inch less in height than what they value in cornersIn this particular case he was talking about Menzies lack of speed

Ah, I stand corrected

michaelkhan3
04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
He is like 5'11 202lbs that's perfect size for a CB in this team or any other team for that matter

michaelkhan3
04-16-2012, 10:02 AM
One of my favorite players in the draft. If you watch Alabama's defense you will see how good the guy is. I think he was a better football player than Dre Kirkpatrick even though Kirkpatrick is a better prospect in the NFL.

Menzie can do everything well. his biggest weakness is his lack of speed but he could still be a very good nickel CB in the NFL or possibly a safety. I thought he could do well in the Deon Grant role but I'm not sure how well he will hold up against the run when he gets blocked by NFL caliber OL (a concern for any CB).

michaelkhan3
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM

He was listed at 6'0 by Alabama

critters
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
As already mentioned, Menzie is going to be a hell of a catch in this draft. He is a great tackler, great against the run and has great cover skills. Whoever made a comment about his injury doesn't know what he's talking about. He came in after his injury and instead of the expected redshirt, he was already playing significant time and looked like the best CB on Alabama's team (which means he's also extremely smart). His next year he beat out a 5 star that had previously been starting. Saban has praised him constantly and used him as an example of why the 40 is misleading, saying that he never saw Menzie get beat one time because of speed. He's a baller and I would be THRILLED to see him on our team.

As for why he was was projected as a safety. I'm sure his 40 time had something to do with it, but I'd guess it had more to do with his build. Dude is THICK and I don't mean fat. Everytime I have watched Alabama play, he has stood out to me.

As for when he'll go. I think every mock draft I have done I have put him to the Giants in the 4th round.

critters
04-16-2012, 12:47 PM

He was listed at 6'0 by Alabama

I think Alabama lets their players stand on their tippy toes when they get measured... or something. They're always way off.