PDA

View Full Version : If Osi is traded for a 2nd and 5th

Warchild
04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
we should then should try to trade down and pick up a second in next years draft...

burier
04-13-2012, 10:53 AM
we should then should try to trade down and pick up a second in next years draft...

What makes you think anybody is giving us a second for Osi?

Morehead State
04-13-2012, 10:56 AM
we should then should try to trade down and pick up a second in next years draft... What makes you think anybody is giving us a second for Osi?</P>

Probably wouldn't get any more than a 3rd. But we would free up $4MM plus in cap room.</P>

FBomb
04-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Can you imagine the outcry if Reese lets him go for LESS than a 2nd rounder?

Morehead State
04-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Can you imagine the outcry if Reese lets him go for LESS than a 2nd rounder?</P>

I know it will be especially fun around here. And I'm all for that.</P>

RagTime Blue
04-13-2012, 11:07 AM
As much as I like the excitement of trades and getting new players through the draft, I can't help but think that Osi is most valuable to us playing out his contract here, and then getting whatever compensatory future picks for him signing big elsewhere.

And I wouldn't consider myself a loyal Osi fan or an Osi hater. Giants fan only.

RagTime Blue
04-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Can you imagine the outcry if Reese lets him go for LESS than a 2nd rounder?</p>

I know it will be especially fun around here. And I'm all for that.</p>

Hahaaa!!! Love it. [B]

burier
04-13-2012, 11:08 AM
we should then should try to trade down and pick up a second in next years draft... What makes you think anybody is giving us a second for Osi?</P>

Probably wouldn't get any more than a 3rd.* But we would free up $4MM plus in cap room.</P>

I don't think its realistic to expect anything better than a 4th and for that I don't think its worth trading him.

If I were JR I'd give him a little boost this year to keep him happy...and then let him go on his merry way.

FBomb
04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Can you imagine the outcry if Reese lets him go for LESS than a 2nd rounder?</P>

I know it will be especially fun around here. And I'm all for that.</P>

Hahaaa!!! Love it. [B]
</P>

ITELLNOLIES would be found dead in a warm bath with gaping wounds on his wrists.</P>

Seducer
04-13-2012, 11:11 AM
I really think the Rivers trade is the writing on the wall for Osi. </P>

Boley, Jacquian, Kiwi and Rivers. No reason to spend the 5th round pick plus whatever money River's is owed for depth. I just don't see it. I'm thinking Osi is gone and Kiwi is going to move back down to DE.</P>

Morehead State
04-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Probably wouldn't get any more than a 3rd. But we would free up $4MM plus in cap room.</P>

I don't think its realistic to expect anything better than a 4th and for that I don't think its worth trading him. If I were JR I'd give him a little boost this year to keep him happy...and then let him go on his merry way.</P>

I think the cap room is as important or even more important that the compensation.</P>

After all, he IS a back-up.</P>

T.Rice57
04-13-2012, 11:38 AM
We better not lose Osi. He was the spark to our defense last year, and was incredible in getting pressure on the QB. We need him.

Hooligans
04-13-2012, 11:59 AM

Get real, the Giants would be lucky to get a single 4th round pick for an injury prone whiner who is approaching 30 years old.

G-Men Surg.
04-13-2012, 12:16 PM
As much as I like the excitement of trades and getting new players through the draft, I can't help but think that Osi is most valuable to us playing out his contract here, and then getting whatever compensatory future picks for him signing big elsewhere.

And I wouldn't consider myself a loyal Osi fan or an Osi hater.* Giants fan only.

In paper that's the best scenario for the Giants and I hope it turns out that way. I really don't think the Giants are extending Osi's contract and realistically he's not sitting down Tuck or JPP . Difficult to see him go all emotions aside but again the best for the Giants is to let him play out his contract, still an awesome player and top player as starter/ backup and God forbids if Tuck or JPP were to have a career threatening injury he will still have a place on the team. That been said its only a matter of time for all of us to find out when the Osi's soap opera will start again this off season .

Giant in Dallas
04-13-2012, 12:17 PM

I know it will be especially fun around here.* And I'm all for that.</P>

Hahaaa!!!* Love it.** [B]
</P>

ITELLNOLIES would be found dead in a warm bath with gaping wounds on his wrists.</P>

Don't forget the cigar

nygsb42champs
04-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Why does everybody keep saying we are trading him?

Bigbluefan1974
04-13-2012, 01:13 PM
People here that think Osi isn't worth more than a 4th rounder are clueless. Tell me what 4th rounder in this years draft is going to give you roughly 13 sacks and I will agree that is all hes worth.

B&RWarrior
04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Who the hell is giving up a 2nd and a 5th for Osi? NOBODY

Be happy if we get a 3rd and at that value I'd rather just keep him for one year and take the compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere after next year, which he will.

hungrrrry
I really think the Rivers trade is the writing on the wall for Osi.* </P>

Boley, Jacquian, Kiwi and Rivers.* No reason to spend the 5th round pick plus whatever money River's is owed for depth.* I just don't see it.* I'm thinking Osi is gone and Kiwi is going to move back down to DE.</P>I truely don't see it...granted, I am just going on the fact that he (Rivers) lost a starting role, is oft-inured and the "highlights" that some have posted here are enough to make a sewer worker barf! I see him as depth only or role player. Not a threat or a lock to hold any position allowing Kiwi to move to end. I do love Kiwi on the right side...definately his best side to rush from but, unless Osi blows a gasket here during the off-season, I would hate to see him go...dude is a turn-over machine...no one...and I mean NO ONE, on this teams causes more loose balls and turnovers than he does...unless negative turnovers count then Eli gets the nod.

Toadofsteel
People here that think Osi isn't worth more than a 4th rounder are clueless.* Tell me what 4th rounder in this years draft* is going to give you roughly 13 sacks and I will agree that is all hes worth.

Osi only has 2, maybe 3 years left in the tank. I'd say about 10 sacks a year average (30 total). With the way JR drafts, a 4th rounder DE could give us that over a decade. We need youth.

That said, I'm in favor of just giving Osi a little extra this season (given the cap room), letting him play out the season, and letting his contract expire. If he signs with another team, we get a comp pick anyway...

Gimaniac
04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Pay him whatever he wants. After all, he did whine to the press. If not, he will hold his breath till he turns blue, which may may not be the same shade as the Nike blue.

RoanokeFan
04-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Can you imagine the outcry if Reese lets him go for LESS than a 2nd rounder?

I've bought more popcorn for that eventuality.

G-Man67
04-13-2012, 01:32 PM

And I wouldn't consider myself a loyal Osi fan or an Osi hater. Giants fan only.
</P>

exactly, these are the type of scenarios you live for as a team ... you have a very talented pass rusher in his contract year and, let's face it, it will likely be Osi's last contract</P>

so he goes out this year and plays his butt off in search of one last lucrative deal</P>

and if we happen to get some compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere ... well there is the cherry on the sundae</P>

better yet, a player we have or we draft steps up and starts to show signs of being that 3rd DE in the rotation and within 2 years our 3rd DE is more productive than Osi, whose now getting paid far more than his contributions by some other team ... this is part of our formula ... but this year with Osi is a no-brainer ... let him get 10+ sacks and force 5+ fumbles in Blue</P>

Bigbluefan1974
04-13-2012, 01:38 PM
People here that think Osi isn't worth more than a 4th rounder are clueless. Tell me what 4th rounder in this years draft is going to give you roughly 13 sacks and I will agree that is all hes worth.

Osi only has 2, maybe 3 years left in the tank. I'd say about 10 sacks a year average (30 total). With the way JR drafts, a 4th rounder DE could give us that over a decade. We need youth.

That said, I'm in favor of just giving Osi a little extra this season (given the cap room), letting him play out the season, and letting his contract expire. If he signs with another team, we get a comp pick anyway...

Fact is you have no idea how much Osi has in the tank. Osi doesn't want a little extra and to play out the season, he wants to start and get a new long term deal. The Giants can not give him that. And we don't automatically get a comp pick if he signs somewhere else. That is not how comp picks work. It works on a formula. Here is some reading for you on it.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d827e13f2/article/nfl-distributes-compensatory-draft-picks-to-15-clubs

burier
04-13-2012, 01:42 PM

Probably wouldn't get any more than a 3rd.* But we would free up $4MM plus in cap room.</P>

I don't think its realistic to expect anything better than a 4th and for that I don't think its worth trading him. If I were JR I'd give him a little boost this year to keep him happy...and then let him go on his merry way.</P>

I think the cap room is as important or even more important that the compensation.</P>

After all, he IS a back-up.</P>

Yeah I hear you on the cap room. I'd actually take a 3rd for him but anything worse than that seems like a traderape.

He can still play. And our defense doesn't work if the pass rush isn't insane so. I don't know.

I find it funny though that people think that Osi can get a 2nd when he couldnt get a 2nd last season.

Bigbluefan1974
04-13-2012, 01:47 PM
burier "I find it funny though that people think that Osi can get a 2nd when he couldnt get a 2nd last season."
That was before the season. He proved he is worth a 2nd easily last year. A sack a game, game changing strips, and a vital part of the run to the Super Bowl. So you're telling me another team wouldn't give up a second for that production over the next 4 years? I think your way off.

B&RWarrior
04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
burier "I find it funny though that people think that Osi can get a 2nd when he couldnt get a 2nd last season."
That was before the season.* He proved he is worth a 2nd easily last year.* A sack a game, game changing strips, and a vital part of the run to the Super Bowl.* So you're telling me another team wouldn't give up a second for that production over the next 4 years?* I think your way off.

Houston only got a 4th rounder for DeMeco Ryans. He only played 9 games. What any other team will say is he's an often injured 31 year old DE. I think he's worth more on the field than in a trade.

The only team desperate enough to trade a second round pick probably thinks they're one pass rusher away from contending for a SB, somebody like N.O. I can't see us making the Saints or a team of this caliber better when we are a strong candidate to repeat.

If we can get a 2nd rounder do it, if not keep him.

GMENAGAIN
04-13-2012, 02:14 PM

</P>

+1</P>

GMENAGAIN
04-13-2012, 02:23 PM
</P>

Why do so many people completely ignore the financial aspect of trading Osi?</P>

The main reason why a team probably won't give up a second rounder for Osi, is not because Osi's talent isn't at least equivalent to the talent of a second rounder. It's because Osi is 30 years old, is in the last year of his current deal (which he is unhappy with) and wants big money. Thus, the team trading for Osi is not only getting his talent, but isgetting a lot of financial baggage too. They have to either sign a 30 year old, oft-injuredplayerto a big deal, or insist that he play out his current deal, in which case he'll whine like he did here, and then leave after one year. </P>

JacksGiant76
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM
If you trade Osi, the team that trades for him will also have to probably sign him to a new contract because they're is no way in hell a team will trade a second round pick or whatever, for one year.

I'm sure there are teams that would be willing to trade for him but how much is he asking for and at his age, is he asking for too much.

THE_New_York_Giants
04-13-2012, 02:39 PM
IMO. Osi will only get a 3rd or a 4th.

Bigbluefan1974
04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
</p>

Why do so many people completely ignore the financial aspect of trading Osi?</p>

The main reason why a team probably won't give up a second rounder for Osi, is not because Osi's talent isn't at least equivalent to the talent of a second rounder. It's because Osi is 30 years old, is in the last year of his current deal (which he is unhappy with) and wants big money. Thus, the team trading for Osi is not only getting his talent, but isgetting a lot of financial baggage too. They have to either sign a 30 year old, oft-injuredplayerto a big deal, or insist that he play out his current deal, in which case he'll whine like he did here, and then leave after one year. </p>
So how much is 13 sacks a year worth to a team and several game changing turnovers? Who cares how old he is. The facts are he makes plays. I have seen players no where as good as he is go for higher picks. Richard Seymour being one.

greenca190
04-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Remember when a 33 year old Jason Taylor was traded a couple years back for a 2nd and 6th round pick?

Crazier things have happened.

PRFan
04-13-2012, 06:46 PM

And I wouldn't consider myself a loyal Osi fan or an Osi hater.* Giants fan only.

This! Let him play out and get whatever compensatory picks we get which look like a third Manningham + Osi. vs nothing.

myles2424
04-13-2012, 07:18 PM
U people that actually think losing a probowl DE is worth a 2nd round pick make me sick....

Redeyejedi
04-13-2012, 07:34 PM
I dont want to trade him but Its not worth trading him unless they get a 2nd. probably get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in FA

Gmenfan87
04-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Does the new LB signal a move for Kiwi back to DE and a trade for Osi?

RoanokeFan
04-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Does the new LB signal a move for Kiwi back to DE and a trade for Osi?

Good question, perhaps it does.

Mohann
04-13-2012, 09:18 PM
We better not lose Osi. He was the spark to our defense last year, and was incredible in getting pressure on the QB. We need him.

That's right, and Tiki, we can't win without him. Shockey either, don't forget Plexico.

JJC7301
04-13-2012, 09:59 PM

I wouldn't take less than a 2nd for Osi. I'd rather have him with us for 1 more year and then watch him walk then take less than a 2nd.

The guy is one of the best pass rushers in the league and I'd love to him around for at least one more year.

JJC7301
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
U people that actually think losing a probowl DE is worth a 2nd round pick make me sick....
I agree with you, but I'm just saying that if were to be traded then it shouldn't be for less than a second. Still, I don't want Osi traded. I'd rather at least get 1 more year out of him.

JJC7301
04-13-2012, 10:03 PM
We better not lose Osi.* He was the spark to our defense last year, and was incredible in getting pressure on the QB.* We need him.

That's right, and Tiki, we can't win without him. Shockey either, don't forget Plexico.

All valid points, but the difference is that our defense is predicated on getting to the QB in a hurry and Osi has been a big part of that. Him playing healthy at the end of this past year was a big reason why the D came together and played exceptionally during the playoffs, and hence won a SB.

rainierjef
04-13-2012, 10:03 PM
I dont want to trade him but Its not worth trading him unless they get a 2nd. probably get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in FA </P>

This. while i don't want him to leave, its a business. </P>

to me with this years production osi lived up to the verbal agreement to me. no one has a knack for stripping the ball like he does and sometimes that all thats needed to change the momentum of a losing game. When content no one can question his leadership in the locker room and his play on the field. </P>

we will see i hope we work something out with him included in our future but whatever is done i hope its with a 2nd rounder in mind anything less would be kind of a rip to us</P>

JJC7301
04-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I dont want to trade him but Its not worth trading him unless they get a 2nd. probably get a 3rd round comp pick if he leaves in FA </P>

This. while i don't want him to leave, its a business. </P>

to me with this years production osi lived up to the verbal agreement to me. no one has a knack for stripping the ball like he does and sometimes that all thats needed to change the momentum of a losing game. When content no one can question his leadership in the locker room and his play on the field. </P>

we will see i hope we work something out with him included in our future but whatever is done i hope its with a 2nd rounder in mind anything less would be kind of a rip to us</P>
Exactly -- I don't want him traded, but if it happens it had better not be for less than a 2nd. And it had better be to the AFC.

Bigbluefan1974
04-13-2012, 10:35 PM

So what is he worth if he doesn't want to stay and the Giants can't afford to give him what he wants?

myles2424
04-13-2012, 11:08 PM

So what is he worth if he doesn't want to stay and the Giants can't afford to give him what he wants?
has Osi actually been quoted saying he doesn't want to be a Giant?

byron
04-13-2012, 11:40 PM
I think he has said a few times he would like to stay with the Giants he also wants a raise...we all know there is not much money to go around this year any way...We know this he should know this what does he want them to do get rid of guys so they can pay him what he wants ...Idk and with all the discontent the bridge may have burned....time will tell....</P>

GMENAGAIN
04-14-2012, 07:36 AM
</P>

Why do so many people completely ignore the financial aspect of trading Osi?</P>

The main reason why a team probably won't give up a second rounder for Osi, is not because Osi's talent isn't at least equivalent to the talent of a second rounder. It's because Osi is 30 years old, is in the last year of his current deal (which he is unhappy with) and wants big money. Thus, the team trading for Osi is not only getting his talent, but isgetting a lot of financial baggage too. They have to either sign a 30 year old, oft-injuredplayerto a big deal, or insist that he play out his current deal, in which case he'll whine like he did here, and then leave after one year. </P>

So how much is 13 sacks a year worth to a team and several game changing turnovers? Who cares how old he is. The facts are he makes plays. I have seen players no where as good as he is go for higher picks. Richard Seymour being one.
</P>

Sigh . .. . . </P>

Who cares how old he is??? I'm guessing that any team trading for him will care.</P>

Richard Seymour is no where near as good as Osi???? If you truly think that, then football might not be your thing man. Maybe you should try needlepoint . . . .. </P>

Redeyejedi
04-14-2012, 08:20 AM

I wouldn't take less than a 2nd for Osi. I'd rather have him with us for 1 more year and then watch him walk then take less than a 2nd.

The guy is one of the best pass rushers in the league and I'd love to him around for at least one more year.Especially when u would probably get a 3rd round comp pick anyay

Bigbluefan1974
04-14-2012, 01:22 PM
</p>

Why do so many people completely ignore the financial aspect of trading Osi?</p>

The main reason why a team probably won't give up a second rounder for Osi, is not because Osi's talent isn't at least equivalent to the talent of a second rounder. It's because Osi is 30 years old, is in the last year of his current deal (which he is unhappy with) and wants big money. Thus, the team trading for Osi is not only getting his talent, but isgetting a lot of financial baggage too. They have to either sign a 30 year old, oft-injuredplayerto a big deal, or insist that he play out his current deal, in which case he'll whine like he did here, and then leave after one year. </p>

</p>

Sigh . .. . . </p>

Who cares how old he is??? I'm guessing that any team trading for him will care.</p>

Richard Seymour is no where near as good as Osi???? If you truly think that, then football might not be your thing man. Maybe you should try needlepoint . . . .. </p>

Maybe you should look at the stats before you talk. Yeah who cares how old he is. Did he just not put up a huge season. You people act like he is 35 years old and has 1 or 2 seasons left. HE IS 30 for christs sakes. He has at least 5 more seasons. Whatever..you think you know it all and in reality you know nothing.

Bigbluefan1974
04-14-2012, 01:32 PM

Osi just said he doesn't want to be a backup and wants to get paid. Two things the Giants can not give him. He is not starting over JPP or Tuck. So does he need to spell it out for you? I really don't get why this is so hard for you alot of you to understand.
1. Osi does not want to be a backup. On this D line, that is what he is.
2. He wants alot more money in a long term extension. The Giants can not give him that cap wise, especially with JPP/Nicks/Cruz and Tuck coming up in a few years.
3. It would be nice to keep him, but see above. If he refuses to play this year for the salary he is scheduled to make and all of the above apply, Reese has no choice but to move him. If he shuts his mouth and plays out his contract, then fine. I don't see that happening.

BlueSanta
04-14-2012, 02:07 PM
people need to dramatically reduce their expectations of his worth in trade.

There are 2 aspects that GMs must consider when trading for a guy. 1 ) <u>his ability</u>. Osi has this and nobody can really argue he isnt still a very talented passrusher. 2) <u>His current contract sitution</u>. This is where Osi fails the test.

No GM is going to give up meaningful picks for a guy with 1 year left on his contract that he might refuse to play out. It just isnt going to happen unless a new deal is done prior to the trade. Yet, it is the lack of a deal that is forcing the trade rumors to begin with.

With 1 year left on his deal and no new contract to speak of, his value in trade is very, very small.

Furthermore, Osi is a speed rusher. Speed rushers dont slowly fade from the NFL, they vanish quickly. See Simeon Rice as an example of a guy who played very similar to Osi. He went from 14 sacks in 2005, to 2 in 2006, to out of the league in 2007, he wasnt injured. He just woke up 1 day in his 31st year having lost that 1st step. If Osi loses his 1st step, he is also done in this league. Unlike Strahan, or other well rounded DE's Osi's game is 100% quickness and speed.

GMENAGAIN
04-14-2012, 02:59 PM

There are 2 aspects that GMs must consider when trading for a guy. 1 ) <U>his ability</U>. Osi has this and nobody can really argue he isnt still a very talented passrusher. 2) <U>His current contract sitution</U>. This is where Osi fails the test.

No GM is going to give up meaningful picks for a guy with 1 year left on his contract that he might refuse to play out. It just isnt going to happen unless a new deal is done prior to the trade. Yet, it is the lack of a deal that is forcing the trade rumors to begin with.

With 1 year left on his deal and no new contract to speak of, his value in trade is very, very small.

Furthermore, Osi is a speed rusher. Speed rushers dont slowly fade from the NFL, they vanish quickly. See Simeon Rice as an example of a guy who played very similar to Osi. He went from 14 sacks in 2005, to 2 in 2006, to out of the league in 2007, he wasnt injured. He just woke up 1 day in his 31st year having lost that 1st step. If Osi loses his 1st step, he is also done in this league. Unlike Strahan, or other well rounded DE's Osi's game is 100% quickness and speed.

</P>

You're wasting your breath . . .. people just don't seem to get the role of the contract factor . . . . .</P>

Bigbluefan1974
04-14-2012, 11:33 PM

There are 2 aspects that GMs must consider when trading for a guy. 1 ) <u>his ability</u>. Osi has this and nobody can really argue he isnt still a very talented passrusher. 2) <u>His current contract sitution</u>. This is where Osi fails the test.

I think everyone here knows that its pretty much a given a new team would give Osi a new deal. If the Giants could afford to they probably would. Do you think a team has never traded for a player and then given him a contract extension? Why you would think that would stop a team from wanting to acquire a top pass rusher is beyond me.

BlueSanta
04-15-2012, 03:54 AM

I think everyone here knows that its pretty much a given a new team would give Osi a new deal. If the Giants could afford to they probably would. Do you think a team has never traded for a player and then given him a contract extension? Why you would think that would stop a team from wanting to acquire a top pass rusher is beyond me.

I didnt say it wasnt possible, I said a trade worth any meaningful picks(like top 2 rounds, possibly top 3) but again you arent looking at it from the standpoint of the OTHER team we would be trading with.

Last year, Osi refused a performance based deal. So it is safe to say that he wants guaranteed money, and we also know he wants lots of it. Last year he sid he wanted top 5 DE money. Maybe that isn't the case anymore but we dont know and neigher will any team who trades for him. But its safe to say he will not get top 5 DE money or anything like that.

Put yourself in an opposing Gm's shoes. Would you give up a 2nd round pick(or more if u believe some posters here) for a guy who turns 31 during the season AND who wants a huge guaranteed contract in 2013? Remember, Rookies are capped now, they are a cheap alternative. Considering what I said above about speed rushers and how quickly they can vanish from the league, combined with the now mounting number of leg operations osi has had, would you give up a 2nd round pick for Osi at this point in his career?

I think the only way this deal gets done is at the draft, I say this because its possible to value him differently and offer teams pick trades with Osi as incentive. Perhaps a situation where a team wants 1 guy and loses out on him so they want to rade back offering us their pick for ours and osi.

I do not see any team outright giving us a 2nd roundpick(or more) for him. I could be wrong, but there is a lot of risk for whoever did that trade. There are always exceptions, but the history of the NFL is littered a lot of bad trades for guys 30+ years of age. Now, with the rookie wage cap, it seems even less likely that teams will trade high picks for short term hi priacetag vets.

gmen46
04-15-2012, 05:10 AM

There are 2 aspects that GMs must consider when trading for a guy. 1 ) <u>his ability</u>. Osi has this and nobody can really argue he isnt still a very talented passrusher. 2) <u>His current contract sitution</u>.* This is where Osi fails the test.

Furthermore, Osi is a speed rusher. Speed rushers dont slowly fade from the NFL, they vanish quickly. See Simeon Rice as an example of a guy who played very similar to Osi. He went from 14 sacks in 2005, to 2 in 2006, to out of the league in 2007, he wasnt injured. He just woke up 1 day in his 31st year having lost that 1st step. If Osi loses his 1st step, he is also done in this league. Unlike Strahan, or other well rounded DE's Osi's game is 100% quickness and speed.*

I think everyone here knows that its pretty much a given a new team would give Osi a new deal.* If the Giants could afford to they probably would.* Do you think a team has never traded for a player and then given him a contract extension?* Why you would think that would stop a team from wanting to acquire a top pass rusher is beyond me.

I didnt say it wasnt possible, I said a trade worth any meaningful picks(like top 2 rounds, possibly top 3) but again you arent looking at it from the standpoint of the OTHER team we would be trading with.

Last year, Osi refused a performance based deal. So it is safe to say that he wants guaranteed money, and we also know he wants lots of it. Last year he sid he wanted top 5 DE money. Maybe that isn't the case anymore but we dont know and neigher will any team who trades for him. But its safe to say he will not get top 5 DE money or anything like that.

Put yourself in an opposing Gm's shoes. Would you give up a 2nd round pick(or more if u believe some posters here) for a guy who turns 31 during the season AND who wants a huge guaranteed contract in 2013? Remember, Rookies are capped now, they are a cheap alternative. Considering what I said above about speed rushers and how quickly they can vanish from the league, combined with the now mounting number of leg operations osi has had, would you give up a 2nd round pick for Osi at this point in his career?

I think the only way this deal gets done is at the draft, I say this because its possible to value him differently and offer teams pick trades with Osi as incentive. Perhaps a situation where a team wants 1 guy and loses out on him so they want to rade back offering us their pick for ours and osi.

I do not see any team outright giving us a* 2nd roundpick(or more) for him. I could be wrong, but there is a lot of risk for whoever did that trade. There are always exceptions, but the history of the NFL is littered a lot of bad trades for guys 30+ years of age. Now, with the rookie wage cap, it seems even less likely that teams will trade high picks for short term hi priacetag vets.

It's really not a matter of any team wanting to trade a 2nd rd pick for Osi, or not.

You've given many of the valid reasons why that is extremely unlikely, from a potential suitor's point of view.

What the real issue is, is why would Reese trade Osi for anything LESS than a 2nd rd pick or it's equivalent?

He won't.

He's not so desperate to get rid of Osi no matter what. That's just fans on this board who are desperate.

Reese will be far more interested in getting the last year of his contract out of him, knowing that, for Osi, it's his last chance to convince some team to pay him at a high level, so it should be a highly productive year for Osi and therefore to the benefit of the Giants. He wins, we win.

Osi will not be traded this year,

GMENAGAIN
04-15-2012, 08:24 AM

There are 2 aspects that GMs must consider when trading for a guy. 1 ) <U>his ability</U>. Osi has this and nobody can really argue he isnt still a very talented passrusher. 2) <U>His current contract sitution</U>. This is where Osi fails the test.

I do not see any team outright giving us a 2nd roundpick(or more) for him. I could be wrong, but there is a lot of risk for whoever did that trade. There are always exceptions, but the history of the NFL is littered a lot of bad trades for guys 30+ years of age. Now, with the rookie wage cap, it seems even less likely that teams will trade high picks for short term hi priacetag vets.

</P>

Contract issues are a huge consideration . . . . It's thereason why the Eagles only gave up a 4th to get Demeco Ryans . . .. it's thereason that there is not a single team in baseball that would trade anything (even a bag of balls) to getA-Rod. </P>

Bigbluefan1974
04-15-2012, 08:35 AM

It's really not a matter of any team wanting to trade a 2nd rd pick for Osi, or not.

You've given many of the valid reasons why that is extremely unlikely, from a potential suitor's point of view.

What the real issue is, is why would Reese trade Osi for anything LESS than a 2nd rd pick or it's equivalent?

He won't.

He's not so desperate to get rid of Osi no matter what. That's just fans on this board who are desperate.

Reese will be far more interested in getting the last year of his contract out of him, knowing that, for Osi, it's his last chance to convince some team to pay him at a high level, so it should be a highly productive year for Osi and therefore to the benefit of the Giants. He wins, we win.

Osi will not be traded this year,

All very good points. I still do not think the contract part is as big a deal as many of you think. There are a lot of teams out there with a ton of cash under the cap. Thinking of it from another GMs side, you are not drafting anyone that can do what he does, and if you can give him a contract you and Osi are happy with you're getting a hell of a player. No one here wants Osi traded so nobody is desperate. Nobody wants to see him leave and the Giants get no compensation is all. You are right about Reese being more interested in letting him play his last year and getting the most out of him. What you are missing is Osi will not do it. Guaranteed. This is his window. If he plays his last contract year out and gets hurt he is screwed. He'll have no value going into the market off an injured year and going on 32. Now he is 30, just came off a monster season. His time is now and he knows it. He will not play for the Giants this year. Reese holds all the cards and could try to force him, but I believe Osi will force his way out. Reese will not let Osi be a distraction.

GMENAGAIN
04-15-2012, 08:38 AM

It's really not a matter of any team wanting to trade a 2nd rd pick for Osi, or not. You've given many of the valid reasons why that is extremely unlikely, from a potential suitor's point of view. What the real issue is, is why would Reese trade Osi for anything LESS than a 2nd rd pick or it's equivalent? He won't. He's not so desperate to get rid of Osi no matter what. That's just fans on this board who are desperate. Reese will be far more interested in getting the last year of his contract out of him, knowing that, for Osi, it's his last chance to convince some team to pay him at a high level, so it should be a highly productive year for Osi and therefore to the benefit of the Giants. He wins, we win. Osi will not be traded this year,

All very good points. I still do not think the contract part is as big a deal as many of you think. There are a lot of teams out there with a ton of cash under the cap. Thinking of it from another GMs side, you are not drafting anyone that can do what he does, and if you can give him a contract you and Osi are happy with you're getting a hell of a player. No one here wants Osi traded so nobody is desperate. Nobody wants to see him leave and the Giants get no compensation is all. You are right about Reese being more interested in letting him play his last year and getting the most out of him. What you are missing is Osi will not do it. Guaranteed. This is his window. If he plays his last contract year out and gets hurt he is screwed. He'll have no value going into the market off an injured year and going on 32. Now he is 30, just came off a monster season. His time is now and he knows it. He will not play for the Giants this year. Reese holds all the cards and could try to force him, but I believe Osi will force his way out. Reese will not let Osi be a distraction.
</P>

If the contract wasn't a bigissue, why didn't any team trade for him last year when he was clearly available for the right price??</P>

Why do you think that no team will trade for Dwight Freeney, even though he is openly on the trading block?? Why do you think that the Jets knew that they had no chance to trade Santonio Holmes after last season??</P>

It's nice to be a fan and just completely disregard business issues, but actual businessmen don't have that luxury . . . . </P>

</P>

GMENAGAIN
04-15-2012, 08:38 AM

It's really not a matter of any team wanting to trade a 2nd rd pick for Osi, or not. You've given many of the valid reasons why that is extremely unlikely, from a potential suitor's point of view. What the real issue is, is why would Reese trade Osi for anything LESS than a 2nd rd pick or it's equivalent? He won't. He's not so desperate to get rid of Osi no matter what. That's just fans on this board who are desperate. Reese will be far more interested in getting the last year of his contract out of him, knowing that, for Osi, it's his last chance to convince some team to pay him at a high level, so it should be a highly productive year for Osi and therefore to the benefit of the Giants. He wins, we win. Osi will not be traded this year,

</P>

If the contract wasn't a bigissue, why didn't any team trade for him last year when he was clearly available for the right price??</P>

Why do you think that no team will trade for Dwight Freeney, even though he is openly on the trading block?? Why do you think that the Jets knew that they had no chance to trade Santonio Holmes after last season??</P>

It's nice to be a fan and just completely disregard business issues, but actual businessmen don't have that luxury . . . . </P>

</P>

Bigbluefan1974
04-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Nobody traded for him because he was coming off a year where he was still rounding into form off a knee injury and nobody was giving up a high pick for a guy with 7 sacks. Why do you constantly ignore the facts. Osi came back strong last year and proved he is still a dominate pass rusher and can be for at least 4 to 5 more seasons. He is only 30. We just have to agree to disagree. Pass rushers are such a hot commodity in the NFL right now and you are not going to convince me that a team close to contending and has cap space would not want Osi on their team for a 2nd.

RoanokeFan
04-15-2012, 01:25 PM

No, he wants to stay but on his terms; MORE money and being a starter. We don't know what he wants in terms of money but he hints he's worth a lot. His not wanting to be a back up is a bit problematic because he's not a better DE than either Tuck or JPP.

If he insists that he wants to start, it may have to be somewhere else. The real question is when. He's still under contract.

gmen46
04-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Nobody traded for him because he was coming off a year where he was still rounding into form off a knee injury and nobody was giving up a high pick for a guy with 7 sacks.* Why do you constantly ignore the facts.* Osi came back strong last year and proved he is still a dominate pass rusher and can be for at least 4 to 5 more seasons.* He is only 30.* We just have to agree to disagree.* Pass rushers are such a hot commodity in the NFL right now and you are not going to convince me that a team close to contending and has cap space would not want Osi on their team for a 2nd.

I agree with you and I disagree with you.

I agree that there could very likely be at least 1 or 2--if not more--teams that would value Osi's talents, specialized as they are, and be willing to take the small risk of whether or not he has another 4-5 years of high production left in him enough to offer a 2nd rd pick for him.

I disagree that Osi will not play for us in 2012, however. I disagree that, if he were to stay here in 2012, he would be any kind of "distraction". He's notoriously publicly complained about his contract in the past and has NEVER been a distraction to team mates or to the extent of his performance level being diminished.

And I don't want to nit pick, but you are off a year with your reference to his "coming off a year where he was still rounding into form off a knee injury". He accomplished that in 2010--with 11 1/2 sacks and 10 FF--before he was put on the trade market for 48 hours Aug 2011.

Bigbluefan1974
04-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Oh my bad, thanks for the correction. I read the wrong year. In my eyes that furthers my point. 11.5 sacks in 2010. 12.5 in 2011 and he missed time. His knee is 100% now. All I know is, he wants to be a starter and that won't happen on the Giants. He wants a lot more money and that also will not happen on the Giants. His agent is probably going to tell him to hold out. Like I said, he is 30 and the time to get a new deal is now while his value is high. If he gets hurt in this last year of his deal, he is completely screwed. I wish the Giants had the money to sign him and as much as I like Osi in pass rushing situations, he is not going to start over JPP. I just don't see Osi wanting to stay to play out his deal and Reese can't accommodate him money wise or roster wise. That's why I think a trade could happen. I wish Osi could stay and finish his career here.

Joe Morrison
04-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Nobody wanted to trade anything exciting for him because he doensn't play 16 games, and that's as a specialty player, what's he going to play 4 games as a full timer?