PDA

View Full Version : Injury Research Project--any recruits?

civilwar
12-10-2011, 07:35 AM
I can remember when TC was hired and he said that injuries are a killer. However, I feel like ever since he got here, we've been killed by injuries.

I always wanted to know if our players who are constantly banged/nicked up are milking it or really injured? I assume most are really hurt but I wonder if they'll play through the pain like they used to. Does anyone remember when Taylor had that special knee brace flown in during the '89 season and then just chucked it off during pregame and stll played with a terrible sprain?

I woule like to know how our injuries the past 10 years or so have stacked up against the rest of the NFL. Are our starters injured (and miss more games) than any other team? Are starters across the NFL missing more games this past decade because of the increasingly "diva" attitude? Are players unwilling to risk potential future loss due to free agency allowing them to be replaced quickly?

I can probably answer most ot the latter questions on my own but is anyone else wondering if our players really get hurt more than anyone else in the league? Anyone bored and feel like going through injury reports for the past ten years and making some nice charts ? hahah

It just seems that Nicks, Tuck, Manningham, Osi, Boley are always hurt.

Okay...I'm done thinking for the day. thanks for readng.

Ruttiger711
12-10-2011, 08:43 AM
All you bud - I'll be happy to read it when you post the results.

letsgj
12-10-2011, 08:59 AM
A few years back some guy invented this thing you may have heard of it. Its called an MRI machine it changed the game forever.

civilwar
12-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Is that where they let blood out of your system to defeat any of the bad spirits?

NY_Eli
12-10-2011, 11:54 AM
A few years back some guy invented this thing you may have heard of it. Its called an MRI machine it changed the game forever.

+1 this is definitely a part of it. Guys played through injuries so much in the past only because they had no idea the extent of the injury and especially the potential long term consequences.

The only guy on this team who I really think plays as hard as those guys did is Bradshaw to be honest. He only misses games when he's not permitted by league rules to play, and when he's out there he gives 200% every play regardless of how much pain he's in.

lawl
12-10-2011, 04:23 PM
The FO doesn't want hurt guys out on the field just as much as the "divas" themselves, as you put it, don't want to be.

Hurt guys that get even more hurt cost the franchise extra money. Not only do they pay the guy to sit the bench but they also now have to pay for his surgery.

RagTime Blue
12-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I honestly wouldn't question the toughness of most of the players. And I'd rather have Tollefson playing at 90% over Tuck playing at 30%. It's in nobody's interest to have really hurt players out there.

The way I look at it, with conditioning programs, "nutrition", and player equipment always upgrading, the game is getting bigger and faster, and collisions are getting more violent all the time.

But you can't condition a ligament to be stronger or a bone to be harder, so those are the weak links in the chain. And they seem to pay for the other upgrades.

Giantsin04
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Millions at stake. Guys just don't want to risk it anymore.

BlueSanta
12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I have wondered before if TCs legendary "camp Coughlin" in August is perhaps so enduring that players cannot endure season or if perhaps it leaves them mentally drained late in the season and maybe that has something to do with our history of late season disasters.

However, I do not subscribe to any notion that the players dont play directly because of TC.

I just think it has to do with the types of players we bring in. Its kind of a league wide issue. Players always play through injuries and play tougher in contract years and that kind of disgusts me. Players also seem to also always let nagging little injuries sideline them right after a fat contract signing.