PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions re: RB

NY_Eli
04-16-2012, 05:44 AM
1. Do you think the giants will select a back in this year's draft?

2. If so, which back do you think has the best chance of being drafted by the gmen?

Spizi
04-16-2012, 08:24 AM
1. Yes

2. Doug Martin because:
- He can carry the load
- Doesn't fumble
- Can block
- Good receiver

NorwoodBlue
04-16-2012, 08:46 AM
1) absolutely

2) Only JR and Coughlin could tell you who it will be. There are good backs over several rounds of this draft. I doubt it will be in the first round, not JR's style, and there's guys with value anywhere from the second to the fourth round. Which one they want remains to be seen. I'm leaning toward Turbin in the third round, maybe fourth; but I'm afraid he probably won't be there for them in the fourth. We shall see.

Shockeystays08
04-16-2012, 08:49 AM
Yes,
Doug Martin in the first or
Robert Turbin in the 3rd.

Raptor22
04-16-2012, 10:40 AM
1) Probably

2) Most likely: Doug Martin, Lamar Miller, Robert Turbin... and of course Richardson if he were to fall. (those 3 guys have the best Speed Scores in the draft, and the Giants always draft guys with great speed scores)

BlueSanta
04-16-2012, 11:12 AM
1) Probably

2) Most likely: Doug Martin, Lamar Miller, Robert Turbin... and of course Richardson if he were to fall. (those 3 guys have the best Speed Scores in the draft, and the Giants always draft guys with great speed scores)

actually Martin was 4th in speed score behind Miller, Turbin, and Pierce. If you go by pro day numbers things change eve more and he slides even further..

I do think Speed score is a good measure, and 1 useful tool, but it is hardly the sole basis for selecting a guy.

If we dont go for a guy like Miller, Wilson, Martin early there are other guys in mid to late rounds to like in this years deaft too. You mention Turbin who is ok, but there are a lot more good backs this year: Bernard Pierce, LaMichael James, Vick Ballard, Iseah Pead, Davin Megget is extremely underrated as well.

It is hard to know what we will do, but I would be shocked if we didnt take a RB at some point this year. It is a huge need.

deekay7685
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
if we don't draft a rb in the 1st, not unusual for us, then the rb's available in the 2nd round are polk, pierce, l james and pead.
i prefer Polk and i would put my money on him unless D Martin slipped.
i like Pead as well. good overall player but he is a little thin.

Raptor22
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
1) Probably

actually Martin was 4th in speed score behind Miller, Turbin, and Pierce. If you go by pro day numbers things change eve more and he slides even further..

I do think Speed score is a good measure, and 1 useful tool, but it is hardly the sole basis for selecting a guy.

If we dont go for a guy like Miller, Wilson, Martin early there are other guys in mid to late rounds to like in this years deaft too. You mention Turbin who is ok, but there are a lot more good backs this year: Bernard Pierce, LaMichael James, Vick Ballard, Iseah Pead, Davin Megget is extremely underrated as well.

It is hard to know what we will do, but I would be shocked if we didnt take a RB at some point this year. It is a huge need.

I never said that it was the sole basis for the Giants selection of RB's, however, the backs the select have good speed scores: Da'Rel Scott had the 2nd (or 3rd?) best speed score last year, Andre Brown had the best one of his draft class, and Brandon Jacobs had one of the best ever coming out. It just shows that they look for size/speed combinations in their backs. So, judging by their speed scores, I figure Richardson (duh), Miller, Martin, and Turbin would be high in their RB rankings.

Of course there are other good/great backs out there, this is a great running back class, but I was just listing ones I thought the Giants would like the best (for instance; I LOVE LaMicheal James, but he just doesn't fit the team vision nor does he really fit the offense. But, he could be a star on the right team)

myles2424
04-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I liked turbin until I discovered he has a injury history.....last thing we need...

NY_Eli
04-18-2012, 08:25 AM
1. Yes

2. Doug Martin because:
- He can carry the load
- Doesn't fumble
- Can block
- Good receiver

I like what I've seen from Doug Martin but it would surprise me if Reese went for a RB in the 1st.

Was Ron Dayne the most recent first round RB pick from the Giants?

ronmexico
04-18-2012, 08:28 AM
2000 Ron Dayne RB Wisconsin
2001 Will Allen CB Syracuse
2002 Jeremy Shockey TE Miami
2003 William Joseph DT Miami
2004 Phillip Rivers
(traded to San Diego on draft day for ELI MANNING, QB, Mississippi, in a deal that also involved draft picks.) QB NC State
2005 Corey Webster (2nd Round) CB LSU
2006 Mathias Kiwanuka DE Boston College
2007 Aaron Ross CB Texas
2008 Kenny Phillips S Miami
2009 Hakeem Nicks WR North Carolina
2010 Jason Pierre-Paul DE South Florida
2011 Prince Amukamara CB Nebraska

Yep, Dayne was the last one selected.. before that it was Wheatley in '95 and Bunch in '91.

critters
04-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Doug Martin if we go early... Vick Ballard if we wait until later.

Sounds like the Browns may be passing on Richardson for Tannehill or Blackmon... could be a smokescreen, but if they do pass on Trent it will be interesting to see where he drops to.