PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' MITCH PETRUS BRINGS MUCH NEEDED FIRE TO OFFENSIVE LINE

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 02:55 PM
GIANTS' MITCH PETRUS BRINGS MUCH NEEDED FIRE TO OFFENSIVE LINE (http://www.giants101.com/2011/12/10/new-york-giants%e2%80%99-mitch-petrus-brings-much-needed-fire-to-offensive-line/)

"It was Week 12 and the smashmouth New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Football (http://www.giants101.com/tag/football/) Giants were ranked 32nd in running the rock. Say
what?

Well, Week 13 and last minute player scratches shifted an already ailing
offensive line that may have had a hard time opening holes for Darren Sproles.
Enter <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Mitch Petrus" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/mitch-petrus/" rel="tag nofollow">Mitch
Petrus</a> to some pretty heavy rock music, please.</p>

The entrance tunes request is due to my first encounter with #62 on the field
last season. It was the 2010 Detroit at New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) game in Week 6. He was back near the endzone,
waiting for a kickoff—playing air guitar to AC/DC’s “You Shook Me All Night
Long.” He was so full of energy that I couldn’t help but notice him and how he
brought something extra out there with him.</p>

Back to the o-line shifting. Most, I’m sure, were nervous about <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with David Diehl" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/david-diehl/" rel="tag nofollow">David
Diehl</a> moving back to LT, <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Kevin Boothe" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/kevin-boothe/" rel="tag nofollow">Kevin
Boothe</a> sliding over more to C and Petrus being inserted as LG for #10, #44
&amp; #27. Little did they realize the spark (read: mean streak) that this would
provide in the trenches—in his very first NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) start, mind you.</p>

Everything happens for a reason and players have to be ready to step up
whenever their number is called…yadda, yadda, yadda.</p>

Petrus obviously was prepared for his. He harnessed his “hypeness” and
focused on the task at hand.</p>

Watch game film and pay close attention to how #62 took care of 1st round NT,
B.J. Raji (no slouch—dude can play). Petrus held him to one solo tackle. Raji
has over 20 pounds on him and a “spin move.” Didn’t matter.</p>

The more time Petrus gets in on the line, the more he will show he’s got that
“Rich Seubert” in him. Just remember I said that…</p>

Interesting game match-up this weekend for Mitch who grew up in Arkansas and
played for the Razorbacks in college. If anyone out there doesn’t know Jerry
Jones’ affection for them (AK Razorbacks) doesn’t know this division. Just
sayin’.</p>

A true test will be going against Dallas’ fast, rushing 3-4, but Diehl will
help and from what Petrus has exhibited on-field — he’s in stance and ready for
his call of duty."</p>

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Petrus awarded a game ball Sunday.

gmen0820
12-10-2011, 03:00 PM
I ****ing love Petrus. I've been wanting him to start since last year (I actually thought he would) but I remember rewatching his game vs the Cowboys (2nd game), and he was having his way with Olshansky for the most part. Petrus completely outplayed Boothe that game.

Remember that interview when he was a rookie and the vets put ***** over Mitch on his locker? Lmao

myles2424
12-10-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm glad Mitch is coming along, I think alot of us were starting to forget that he was on the team...

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 03:08 PM
I ****ing love Petrus. I've been wanting him to start since last year (I actually thought he would) but I remember rewatching his game vs the Cowboys (2nd game), and he was having his way with Olshansky for the most part. Petrus completely outplayed Boothe that game.

Remember that interview when he was a rookie and the vets put ***** over Mitch on his locker? Lmao

We have JPP on Defense, Blackburn on ST/Defense and now Petrus on Offense. Three guys whose motors never dial down. I honestly think this is the OLine that will take us into the playoffs.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 03:11 PM

I remember his getting called into a game last season and he ran in so fast he almost overshot the huddle lol

That's what we need more of.

gmen0820
12-10-2011, 03:13 PM

We have JPP on Defense, Blackburn on ST/Defense and now Petrus on Offense.* Three guys whose motors never dial down.* I honestly think this is the OLine that will take us into the playoffs.
If our trenches are stout the rest of the way, we willnt be beat.

Our OL has to hold up. We have Ware and Ratliff for two games, Mo Wilkerson and Orakpo and Kerrigan coming up.

gmen0820
12-10-2011, 03:15 PM

I remember his getting called into a game last season and he ran in so fast he almost overshot the huddle* lol

Haha yup vs Seattle. He should have been our LG last year when Andrews started. Diehl should have never touched the field this year or last year.

JMFP2
12-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Looking at Petrus' career, he's pretty much had to scrap for every opportunity he's had.....classic overarchiever.</P>

This line desperately needs a dude like this following Seubert and O'Hara.</P>

Spizi
12-10-2011, 04:18 PM

I remember his getting called into a game last season and he ran in so fast he almost overshot the huddle* lol

Haha funniest thing I've ever seen.

thegreatone
12-10-2011, 04:22 PM

We have JPP on Defense, Blackburn on ST/Defense and now Petrus on Offense.* Three guys whose motors never dial down.* I honestly think this is the OLine that will take us into the playoffs.
that's if they keep it this way. Remember last year we were having trouble running when a couple of starters went down. They plugged the holes and we ran the ball MUCH better but when Ohara and co. Got healthy they went back and so did our run game. Never understood why they changed back

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 04:30 PM

We have JPP on Defense, Blackburn on ST/Defense and now Petrus on Offense. Three guys whose motors never dial down. I honestly think this is the OLine that will take us into the playoffs.
that's if they keep it this way. Remember last year we were having trouble running when a couple of starters went down. They plugged the holes and we ran the ball MUCH better but when Ohara and co. Got healthy they went back and so did our run game. Never understood why they changed back

I believe if Boothe and Petrus can repeat their performances of last week, Baas will go to IR. Assuming no further injuries, I know, that's a loaded assumption, these guys can take us into the playoffs. Diehl being at LT may stand a chance at getting some extra incentive bonus money as well. I don't think they reworked his contract, just moved him to Guard.

gmen0820
12-10-2011, 04:30 PM

that's if they keep it this way. Remember last year we were having trouble running when a couple of starters went down. They plugged the holes and we ran the ball MUCH better but when Ohara and co. Got healthy they went back and so did our run game. Never understood why they changed backThis. Never understood the switch back and it really turned me off of Coughlin who I viewed as a little too loyal towards his vets.

mcillo
12-10-2011, 04:49 PM
He reminds me of Curley with that nervous energy.

KidA
12-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I had just been asking about Petrus on these boards last week before the game. I remember when we first drafted him and the team was saying he was a real mauler in camp. They sounded very high on him. That kind of talent doesn't just dry up.

G4L
12-10-2011, 05:45 PM

I believe if Boothe and Petrus can repeat their performances of last week, Baas will go to IR.** Assuming no further injuries, I know, that's a loaded assumption, these guys can take us into the playoffs.* Diehl being at LT may stand a chance at getting some extra incentive bonus money as well.* I don't think they reworked his contract, just moved him to Guard.

Diehl's playing under the same contract. He can pick up an extra $250 K this year if he starts 4 games at LT. He had a couple other tiers built into his contract, but its too late for him to start enough games at LT to earn those. Unless playoffs games are counted.

T-Murda84
12-11-2011, 05:04 AM
When Petrus was drafted...many around the organization compared Petrus to Seubert. Petrus is a nasty attitude on the field and is pretty strong....he just needs to be on the field more. Im not trying to dog Beatty, but hes too mild mannered to be our left tackle of the future. I know Ogden was mild mannered to, but the guy was incredibly strong.

GMENAGAIN
12-11-2011, 09:06 AM
I had just assumed that we weren't seeing Petrus because the coaches didn't think a lot of him . . . . so I was pleasantly surprised with how he played last week.

He was told only 15 minutes before game time that he was getting his first start. He came in and played the entire game and did a very good job on Raji. Very impressive performace.

Also love the much-needed fire that he brings to the line . . . .

Looking forward to another solid performance this week.

fletch842
12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
if he continues to excel, it will give us 54 impact players from that rookie class with JPP, Linval, Ballard, and Cruz.

Rusty192
12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
if he continues to excel, it will give us 4 impact players from that rookie class with JPP, Linval, and Cruz.Don't forget Jake Ballard as well.

RoanokeFan
12-11-2011, 12:15 PM
if he continues to excel, it will give us 4 impact players from that rookie class with JPP, Linval, and Cruz.Don't forget Jake Ballard as well.

+1

fletch842
12-11-2011, 12:18 PM

+1

fixed it, no slight intended.