PDA

View Full Version : Jerrel Jernigan to return punts...

BklynBlue
12-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Keep thinking back to the preseason where he muffed a few. Now a Big pressure game and he will be returning punts tomorrow night. Cant help but to be a bit nervous.

Kid does have some serious speed though!

gfanblue
12-10-2011, 03:37 PM
I would rather see DaRelle back there..........

RagTime Blue
12-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Good to see the coaches are now willing to get rid of safe mediocrity to try to win games. Hope it's not too little too late.

yoeddy
12-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Good to see the coaches are now willing to get rid of safe mediocrity to try to win games.* Hope it's not too little too late.

Putting a guy who muffed a bunch of punts in preseason back there is not exactly my idea of a good sign...

titwio
12-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Big pressure game and he will be returning punts tomorrow night.

Hey do you have a link for this?

I just checked Giants.com, NJ.com and found nothing about him returning punts Sunday night.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Good to see the coaches are now willing to get rid of safe mediocrity to try to win games. Hope it's not too little too late.

You do realize he has sucked at it so far, yes?

GiantFanatic55
12-10-2011, 04:39 PM

I just checked Giants.com, NJ.com and found nothing about him returning punts Sunday night.

I've found nothing either

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 04:40 PM

There's a piece on it in the news thread. Look for the Jerry Jones defending his "palace" article

buddy33
12-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Well Ross has fumbled 2 in the last 2 games so I would be just as nervous with him back there.

KidA
12-10-2011, 04:43 PM
He's one of the last guys who should be back there after his performance in preseason. Kickoffs are one thing, but to return punts you have to have reliable hands.

RoanokeFan

Putting a guy who muffed a bunch of punts in preseason back there is not exactly my idea of a good sign...

They can't risk Ross with Phillips out

jomo

It wasn't just the muffs I recall. It was also the lateral runs for no gain, the straight ahead runs for no gain and the backwards runs for, well...........less than no gain. lol I hope the young man has had a complete transformation since pre-season. Go Blue!

Red Dog
12-10-2011, 04:47 PM
"We're saved"

G4L
12-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Not sure how I feel about this move. IMO PR duties were the primary reason we took him in the 3rd - WR skills would be a bonus. Guess he should get another shot to do what he was drafted to do, if not why keep him around.

juice33s
12-10-2011, 04:49 PM
He's the 2011 version of Matt Dodge (Nerves of jello) and Coughlin decides to baptize him on the road in the biggest game of the year.....It seems TC is intent on putting the final nails in his own coffin

DragonSoul
12-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Good to see the coaches are now willing to get rid of safe mediocrity to try to win games.* Hope it's not too little too late.

Did he not do well the last couple times he was there, i think when ross was briefly injured? I would prefer scott back there as he has shown he can hold unto the ball and get some yards, but JJ might be able 2 do the same now.

GiantsJersey
12-10-2011, 04:54 PM
they put him in there for the packers game, and he didnt muff it then. i think it was only once, maybe twice.

JesseJames
12-10-2011, 04:57 PM
ok so the guy muffed a few punts back in pre season, mistakes is what rookies do and thats how they learn. Jernigans mistakes happened over 3 months ago, isn't it about time we gave him another chance.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Did he not do well the last couple times he was there, i think when ross was briefly injured? I would prefer scott back there as he has shown he can hold unto the ball and get some yards, but JJ might be able 2 do the same now.

And Scott was inactive because he fumbles on offense.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 04:59 PM
ok so the guy muffed a few punts back in pre season, mistakes is what rookies do and thats how they learn. Jernigans mistakes happened over 3 months ago, isn't it about time we gave him another chance.

He's getting that chance Sunday night because they can't risk Ross back there with Phillips out..

fletch842
12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
in the article he did say that he has been working with Ross and others on his skills. Lets hope that it has an effect. Would be nice to get some contribution from him this season.

juice33s
12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
ok so the guy muffed a few punts back in pre season, <font size="5">mistakes is what rookies do and thats how they learn.</font> Jernigans mistakes happened over 3 months ago, isn't it about time we gave him another chance.
I guess he didn't learn in college either, watch him muff kicks and drop balls in his teams bowl game last season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLRn_7vU1dc

titwio
12-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Randall Cobb is also a rookie and he's been muffing punts all season.... But he's good.

Giant fans haven't seen what this guy is like with the ball in his hands yet.....He's lightening quick... I hope he shows it Sunday. Would be nice to have some unproven guys step up (Jernigan, Sash) and make names for themselves.

buddy33
12-10-2011, 05:03 PM
So with all the injuries what would you like them to do? Who should take the punts then?

egyptian420
12-10-2011, 05:08 PM
<font color="#FF0000">The guy screwed up in the preseason in his rookie year with almost no offseason or OTA's....how dare they ever put him on the field again?</font>

Honestly though, I think they obviously didn't use him all that time for that reason. If they are doing this now that means they probably seen more consistency out of him during practice. All I know is that Ross can't possibly do a worst return job and we can't afford to lose him on defense. They must like something about this kid if they chose him over Devin Thomas and Scott.

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Keep thinking back to the preseason where he muffed a few. Now a Big pressure game and he will be returning punts tomorrow night. Cant help but to be a bit nervous.

Is he still on the team lol. Forgot all about him. Someone said he was in there vs GB on at least one punt, I don't recall it.

juice33s
12-10-2011, 05:13 PM
So with all the injuries what would you like them to do? Who should take the punts then?
Will Blackmon has alot of NFL experience doing it, he'd probably be a safer bet then an unproven rookie with a history of muffs

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Also didnt JJ convert one of our 3 two point plays this year? I think it was early in the season, but don't remember the circumstances. When Ware got his vs GB they said prior to the play that the Giants were 2-2 on two pointers this season and I seem to remember JJ gettIng one of them.

Who was the 3rd person?

buddy33
12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Right now he has 0 NFL experience but that also means he has 0 mistakes. I know he was in the field a few time but he really has no significant experience. They drafted him in the 3rd round. They are not going to give up on him already. I remember Bradshaw having some fumbling problems his rookie year. Injuries where part of the reason he got more chances and hopefully it's the same with JJ.

buddy33
12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Right now he has 0 NFL experience but that also means he has 0 mistakes. I know he was in the field a few time but he really has no significant experience. They drafted him in the 3rd round. They are not going to give up on him already. I remember Bradshaw having some fumbling problems his rookie year. Injuries where part of the reason he got more chances and hopefully it's the same with JJ.

buddy33
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Also didnt JJ convert one of our 3 two point plays this year? I think it was early in the season, but don't remember the circumstances. When Ware got his vs GB they said prior to the play that the Giants were 2-2 on two pointers this season and I seem to remember JJ gettIng one of them.

Who was the 3rd person?

I think he did that in the pre season in the same game he dropped a couple of punts against the Patriots.

yoeddy
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Well Ross has fumbled 2 in the last 2 games so I would be just as nervous with him back there.

I remember that he muffed one against the Patriots...when was the second one?

BlueBlitzer
12-10-2011, 05:21 PM
That machine ( I think they call it the Jugs ) Puts that ball so high in the air, it probably comes down with ice on it. I'm sure He's had to catch a couple of thousand from it.

giants63
12-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Some of you guys are so negative. I'm pumped up, let's go Jernigan! Do it big against the cowgirls

titwio
12-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Some of you guys are so negative. I'm pumped up, let's go Jernigan! Do it big against the cowgirls

I'm excited to see what he can do too.

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Who was the 3rd person?

I think he did that in the pre season in the same game he dropped a couple of punts against the Patriots.
I think you are right. We were losing that game 17-3 going into the 4th quarter. Then D Scott scored on the 65 yard fake punt. Down 7 we got a defensive fumble return for a TD by Martin late in the game. TC elected to go for the win and the Pass went to JJ for an 18-17 win.....

buddy33
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM

I could be wrong but I thought he muffed one in the last two games. Didn't Prince knock it out of bounds last week or something like that.

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:33 PM
The other time was the first Eagles game where again we outscored our opponent 15-0 in 4th. Down 16-14 we got that Cruz td where he wrestled the ball away from two defenders. We went for the two pointer to put us up 7. This time it was a BJ run.

Redeyejedi
12-10-2011, 05:36 PM
In a game that will decide the Giants season there putting a guy back there who muffed what 6 Punts in the pre season. Can we just wait till next year to try this again. One TO that gives the Boys the ball at the 20 may decide the game

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:38 PM

And Scott was inactive because he fumbles on offense.

That's the problem with this coaching staff. Guys with huge potential make one mistake and they are benched

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:41 PM
He's the 2011 version of Matt Dodge (Nerves of jello)* and Coughlin decides to baptize him on the road in the biggest game of the year.....It seems TC is intent on putting the final nails in his own coffin

Whatever became of Dodge? Is he out of football or did someone pick him up? I remember thinking that someone is going to be patient with him and make us sorry someday. Kid has huge potential if he can overcome the jitters and learn to directional kick. Lol

egyptian420
12-10-2011, 05:43 PM
He's the 2011 version of Matt Dodge (Nerves of jello) and Coughlin decides to baptize him on the road in the biggest game of the year.....It seems TC is intent on putting the final nails in his own coffin

Whatever became of Dodge? Is he out of football or did someone pick him up? I remember thinking that someone is going to be patient with him and make us sorry someday. Kid has huge potential if he can overcome the jitters and learn to directional kick. Lol
I think the pats tried him out.....lol that didn't go too far.....never heard his name after that.....kinda feel bad for him.

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:45 PM
In a game that will decide the Giants season there putting a guy back there who muffed what 6 Punts in the pre season. Can we just wait till next year to try this again. One TO that gives the Boys the ball *at the 20 may decide the game
So true. We make a huge three and out stop late in the game up 4 points and he muffs the punt giving Dallas the ball at our 20 with little time left and dallas gets the winning td. We will ll be on here saying all he had to do was catch it and get one first down and run out the clock. Then u will have the we should be in first place threads

miked1958
12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
He's the 2011 version of Matt Dodge (Nerves of jello)* and Coughlin decides to baptize him on the road in the biggest game of the year.....It seems TC is intent on putting the final nails in his own coffin

I think the pats tried him out.....lol that didn't go too far.....never heard his name after that.....kinda feel bad for him.

I think he has to much upside not to try and make a comeback somewhere next season. If he is smart he would do nothing but take snaps and directional kick the whole offseason. We know he already has a strong leg

egyptian420
12-10-2011, 05:50 PM

I think he has to much upside not to try and make a comeback somewhere next season. If he is smart he would do nothing but take snaps and directional kick the whole offseason. We know he already has a strong leg
He's become infamous from that bull### "mirale" lol....hard to shake that off, thats the only reason people know him

miked1958
12-10-2011, 06:00 PM

He's become infamous from that bull### "mirale" lol....hard to shake that off, thats the only reason people know him

Well everyone knows including him that he never should have punted directly at desean. He knows it himself and I doubt he wil
Ever make that mistake again.
If u remember he had a decent preseason with some monster kicks. I really thought it was a toss up on who did better and was not sure till they picked weatherford which one TC would go with

yoeddy
12-10-2011, 06:01 PM

I could be wrong but I thought he muffed one in the last two games. Didn't Prince knock it out of bounds last week or something like that.

Might have been the Saints game...

Coach Carter
12-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I like this, Coughlin is going all out trying to win these last four. If he does not he won't be employed, so I like his gamble.

GiantFanatic55
12-10-2011, 07:10 PM

I'm excited to see what he can do too.

+1

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 07:14 PM
I like this, Coughlin is going all out trying to win these last four. If he does not he won't be employed, so I like his gamble.

They ran out of alternatives.

titwio
12-10-2011, 07:34 PM

He could of still went with Cruz or Blackmon.

I'm sure they've been working JJ hard in practice and feel like he's ready to step up. Hell....He's had plenty of time.

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 07:44 PM

He could of still went with Cruz or Blackmon.

I'm sure they've been working JJ hard in practice and feel like he's ready to step up. Hell....He's had plenty of time.

The, concern, obviously, is that if we muff a punt and they recover, field position is always in their favor if not an outright TD. I have nothing against Jernoigan, he IS a rookie and they do make mistakes.

Blackmon was really ineffective when he was back there and I'm not sure we want to risk Cruz any more than Ross. I think Jernigan is the right choice, but I also hope he's better at ball control that he has been.

We'll know soon enough.

titwio
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM
The, concern, obviously,* is

Lol...I, understand, your, concern.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-10-2011, 07:54 PM

He could of still went with Cruz or Blackmon. I'm sure they've been working JJ hard in practice and feel like he's ready to step up. Hell....He's had plenty of time.

The, concern, obviously, is that if we muff a punt and they recover, field position is always in their favor if not an outright TD. I have nothing against Jernoigan, he IS a rookie and they do make mistakes.

Blackmon was really ineffective when he was back there and I'm not sure we want to risk Cruz any more than Ross. I think Jernigan is the right choice, but I also hope he's better at ball control that he has been.

We'll know soon enough.
</P>

He said in the article that the muffed punts were due to form. He has since took on the closed elbows technique and has his "fumbling problem" fixed. He also says that Ross and Webster have been helping him. Let's hope his mouth can cash that check.</P>

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 07:57 PM

He could of still went with Cruz or Blackmon. I'm sure they've been working JJ hard in practice and feel like he's ready to step up. Hell....He's had plenty of time.

We'll know soon enough.
</p>

He said in the article that the muffed punts were due to form. He has since took on the closed elbows technique and has his "fumbling problem" fixed. He also says that Ross and Webster have been helping him. Let's hope his mouth can cash that check.</p>

+1 I know he'll do the best he can and hope that's enough.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-10-2011, 08:01 PM

We'll know soon enough.
</P>

He said in the article that the muffed punts were due to form. He has since took on the closed elbows technique and has his "fumbling problem" fixed. He also says that Ross and Webster have been helping him. Let's hope his mouth can cash that check.</P>

</P>

Agreed. Only problem is that I never exactly saw the speed I thought he would have when returning punts before. Did you?</P>

RoanokeFan
12-10-2011, 08:09 PM

We'll know soon enough.
</p>

He said in the article that the muffed punts were due to form. He has since took on the closed elbows technique and has his "fumbling problem" fixed. He also says that Ross and Webster have been helping him. Let's hope his mouth can cash that check.</p>

</p>

Agreed. Only problem is that I never exactly saw the speed I thought he would have when returning punts before. Did you?</p>

No, but I don't think that's a valid judgment to make on his speed. He's GOT TO catch the ball and when he looks down he's probably still not seeing the entire field yet. With 11 players trying to rip your head off it have to be a pretty daunting experience u8ntil you get it right consistently.

ELIistheFRANCHISE
12-11-2011, 12:29 AM

We'll know soon enough.
</P>

</P>

Agreed. Only problem is that I never exactly saw the speed I thought he would have when returning punts before. Did you?</P>

No, but I don't think that's a valid judgment to make on his speed. He's GOT TO catch the ball and when he looks down he's probably still not seeing the entire field yet. With 11 players trying to rip your head off it have to be a pretty daunting experience u8ntil you get it right consistently.
</P>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzZgRHkPCWE</P>

Around the 1:37 mark is Jernigan's return. Horrible blocks for Jerrel, couple gunners untouched headed for him and he does this little hop and turns it up the field ....tons of potential.. We will see sunday. Hopefully he will get alot of returns tomorrow night [;)]</P>

barran21
12-11-2011, 12:46 AM

Well i am officially scared.............hopefully we pick Romo a lot...