PDA

View Full Version : Eli-2 Best Plays in Super Bowl History?

giantsfan420
04-21-2012, 10:13 PM
The Eli 2 Tyree catch was dubbed the greatest play in Super Bowl history. The following year Ben did have that pass to S. Holmes, but I feel that the play was overhyped, it was top 10 for sure but nowhere near the pass to Tyree.

Well, what about this last Super Bowl? The sideline pass to MM late in the 4th quarter was the most crucial play of the game. The pass was PERFECT and the catch was amazing.

Where do those two plays, Eli to Tyree and Eli to MM, rank in SB history according to you?

For me, the Eli to Tyree play was the greatest play in SB history (maybe even all time best play in NFL history) and the pass to MM was easily top 5, imho, it could be ranked 2 and be justified, but the Harrison int on Warner in SB 43 before the half that went for a TD could be ahead of the Eli to MM play...

any other plays in SB history that you'd rank ahead of the two plays Eli was involved with?

Giants10Joe
04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
When ranking plays, I think you need to take into account 3 things. 1) How impressive it was and how often plays like it occur. 2) What game it was in (Super Bowl > Playoff game > regular season game). 3) The situation. What point in the game it was, did it score or set up a touchdown, and what was the score?

The Tyree catch was almost an impossible catch. The fact that Eli escaped a sack makes it even more impressive. And since it was in the Super Bowl at a crucial moment, I think it was the greatest Super Bowl play of all time, maybe even the greatest play of all time.

I think the Holmes catch was better than the Manningham catch. It was more difficult and it was a touchdown instead of setting one up. Both catches were impressive, but not particularly unique. If those were regular games, they would have made the SportsCenter Top 10, but would you being seeing them repeated years later? I doubt it. The Tyree catch would likely still be shown years later if it was in the regular season (just not as often). Catches like what Manningham made happen every few weeks each season and ones like Holmes made happen 1-3 times a season. Because they were in the Super Bowl and in key moments they are elevated, and I think they're probably both top 20 Super Bowl plays but not top 5.

greenca190
04-21-2012, 11:51 PM
One of my favorite football memories to this day, and it was a play, was the last play of the titans rams super bowl. I wouldn't consider that in the top ten though.

BigBlue1971
04-22-2012, 12:16 AM
the Tyree catchis the best so farimo because of how it was done.....Eli escaping the sack the throw with Tyree coming down with the ball pinned to his helmet. that ball could have easily touched the ground but he was determined to not let it!</P>

its hard to say between the Rio catch and the Holmes one! the Holmes one prolly over shadows Rios because of the touchdown game winner.</P>

one play i remember prolly not ahead of the Tyree/Rio catches but Mark Ingrams catch and run for 14 yards breaking 5 tackles against the Bills! the Giants had a 3rd and 13 to go to keep the drive alive!</P>

</P>

Toadofsteel
04-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Best play in SB history?

Wide right.

'nuff said :P

Drez
04-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Whether or not the pass to MM goes down as one of the best plays in SB history, it should definitely go down as one of the best throws.

GmenFan1980
04-22-2012, 12:53 AM
The tyree catch is #1 to me...#2 is the James Harrison pick 6 to end the half

KidA
04-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Harrison's interception was far better than the Manningham catch.

scoopscj
04-22-2012, 03:03 AM
The last segment in this VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TTXbcNFGbo) talks about the greatest plays in Super Bowl History. According to Steve Sabol you need athleticism, romance, and relevance. Great video.

Mohann
04-22-2012, 03:23 AM
The last segment in this VIDEO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TTXbcNFGbo) talks about the greatest plays in Super Bowl History. According to Steve Sabol you need athleticism, romance, and relevance. Great video.

The Manningham catch did well in all 3. It was a great throw, and catch, we were deep in our end of the field, and it led to a game winning score. Top 5 play.

BlueSanta
04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
I think the Holmes catch was better than the Manningham catch.

While I agree with everything you say, I have to point out that while the Holmes catch itself may have been better, the throw Eli made to Manningham is a much more difficult toss than the 1 big Ben threw to Holmes.

Still, I do not believe Eli has the 2 best plays in SB history. The catch might be the #1, but there would be big debate over #2.

zimonami
04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I've seen just about every play of every SB. Eli/Tyree is def #1. You had the situation, the Great Escape by Eli, which in itself was a hi-lite even if he had just completed a routine 1st down... but, the catch against the helmet, with his armed being yanked on, makes it all, incontrovertably #!.
MM is just top 5... maybe even 5-10. Throw perfect, after a little scrambling by Eli, catch was nice, tough over the shoulder, and feet easily in bounds. The hit a split second later made it more dramatic. MM had to hold on, but his feet had already touched easily in bounds.
Holmes catch was a TD, and maybe higher ranked than MM's because of his toe touch balancing act... although I don't think the one toe ever touched.

Easy-Duz-It
04-22-2012, 03:25 PM
of course i would agree that the tyree play was the greatest play in super bowl history.

the pass to manningham is up there, but probably not as high as #2.

that said...the pass to manningham (while maybe not amongst the top 2 most dramatic plays in sb history) was the best throw i've ever seen in a football game. at any level, in any league, on any stage.

no doubt about it. if anyone ever made a throw that good, it certainly wasn't better. just incredible.

Drez
04-22-2012, 10:22 PM
of course i would agree that the tyree play was the greatest play in super bowl history.

that said...the pass to manningham (while maybe not amongst the top 2 most dramatic plays in sb history) was the best throw i've ever seen in a football game. at any level, in any league, on any stage.

no doubt about it. if anyone ever made a throw that good, it certainly wasn't better. just incredible.
I remember when I was watching the game at my parent's place, everyone was hooting up the catch. I said, "Screw the catch, did you see that throw!?!"

giantsfan420
04-23-2012, 12:26 AM

I remember when I was watching the game at my parent's place, everyone was hooting up the catch. I said, "Screw the catch, did you see that throw!?!"

same here. i was in awe of the throw, but the catch was awesome as well although on that perfect a throw he should be able to catch it...

burier
04-24-2012, 11:22 AM
They'll go down as 1 and 2.

I believe the Manningham linkup was the greatest throw in the history of the forward pass.

One thing that is highly annoying is The Tyree play is always about the "escape" and the "catch" Everyone's seen this play hundreds of times and no one recognizes that Eli actually put the ball in the one spot the ball could have gone without being tipped or intercepted.