PDA

View Full Version : Giants pulling their players from WFAN?

YATittle1962
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants

whats going on with this?

Gmen2005
04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I thought he was talking about 1050 ESPN, but I could be wrong. Just started listening.

*edit*

may have been another article I read.

Kruunch
04-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

Told you it was a crap station.

Francessa has single handedly alienated the entire NFL.

JimC
04-23-2012, 03:21 PM

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050. The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants. It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.

byron
04-23-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station anyone hear this? this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants whats going on with this?</P>

I thought they were pulling them off the espn station Ro had a article up yesterday on it</P>

</P>

edit ...its on the front page here</P>

Redeyejedi
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Makes sense to me. Why would u put players on the radio station that u dont have a deal with.

Kruunch
04-23-2012, 03:26 PM

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050.* The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants.* It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.

Are you sure about that? Eli's "I'm As Good As Brady" interview was on the Michael Kay show on ESPN last year.

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 03:28 PM

anyone hear this?

Yes, there was an article in yesterday's news thread about it. Both Eli and Cruz were told nothing doing. One opinion was that covering our trophies in last season's regular season game was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Here's the link and the article:

TAKING ELI MANNING OFF ESPN 1050 IS THE RESULT OF GROWING GIANTS-JETS AIR WAVE WAR (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/eli-manning-espn-1050-result-growing-jets-giants-airwave-war-article-1.1065399)

Excerpt: "In early March, Eli Manning (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Eli+Manning) hosted an
“Evening With Eli,” at the New York Athletic Club in conjunction with ESPN-1050.
For eight years, the Giants’ two-time Super Bowl MVP participated in a weekly
segment on the radio station.

At the dinner, both Manning and ESPN-1050 suits prominently announced they
would happily extend their relationship for several more years. Two weeks later,
according to radio and NFL sources, the relationship between Manning and
ESPN-1050 was over.</p>

ESPN-1050 was informed Manning would not be coming back as a regular on “The
Michael Kay Show.” Instead, he was heading to WFAN, the Giants’ flagship radio
station.</p>

By all accounts, Manning did not make this decision on his own. He enjoyed
doing his weekly spot and was compensated well. Money was not the issue. Manning
also had no problem with the fact 1050 is the radio home of the Jets.</p>

And during his 1050 tenure, no one at WFAN tried to lure him to the
station.</p>

Why did the situation change? Who put the kibosh on Manning continuing his
relationship with 1050?</p>

All paths lead to the increased flow of bad blood between the Jets and
Giants. It finally occurred to Giants brass that having the face of their
franchise as a featured voice on the radio home of the Jets was a terrible
idea.</p>

Although the Giants walked away from last season on top of the football
world, management is still angered over Jet brass covering those Giants Super
Bowl logos with curtains in MetLife Stadium before Jets hosted the Giants on
Christmas Eve. They also haven’t forgotten how Gang Green put a picture of
Manning being crushed from behind by Calvin Pace (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Calvin+Pace) on the
cover of their defensive playbook heading into that game.</p>

“More than all that, I believe (Giants co-owner) John Mara (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/John+Mara) was not exactly
thrilled over Eli (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Evening+Eli) being on the Jets
station throughout the Giants Super Bowl year,” the NFL source said.</p>

The radio whereabouts of Giants players is likely not on Mara’s radar, but we
could see how the Manning-1050 alliance eventually stuck in his craw. And if he
did ask Manning to make the radio switch, what’s Eli going to say, “No”? Giants
ownership has made their QB one of the NFL’s highest-paid players.</p>

Nonetheless, the bad blood thing is still in play. After Manning jumped ship,
ESPN-1050 tried to negotiate a deal with Victor Cruz (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Victor+Cruz). A source
close to Cruz said he was told Giants players were now prohibited from being
paid regulars “on a non-Giants station.”</p>
Don’t discount WFAN, tired of the buzz and ratings ESPN-1050 was generating
with the QB (remember Kay’s “elite Eli” interview), trying to exert whatever
pressure it could to bring in Manning." Read more...

Drez
04-23-2012, 03:31 PM

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050. The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants. It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.

Are you sure about that? Eli's "I'm As Good As Brady" interview was on the Michael Kay show on ESPN last year.
Yes. Eli is not going to be doing the weekly spots with Kay this year.

As far as YA saying WFAN, I'll just assume he meant 1050 and said the Fan instead.

JimC
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM

anyone hear this?

Yep...that Eli interview was last year. There will be no Eli interviews on ESPN 1050 this year, or any other Giants.

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station anyone hear this? this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants whats going on with this?</p>

I thought they were pulling them off the espn station Ro had a article up yesterday on it</p>

</p>

edit ...its on the front page here</p>

I put it in both places as a lot of posters don't read the news thread

byron
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
[B]

I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station anyone hear this? this sounds like a move the Jets would make ...not my Giants whats going on with this?</P>

I thought they were pulling them off the espn station Ro had a article up yesterday on it</P>

</P>

edit ...its on the front page here</P>

I put it in both places as a lot of posters don't read the news thread
</P>

[B] </P>

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Before we run away with this I am pretty sure the issue has to do with "performing" on ESPN 1050 for a financial consideration. I don't think the organization can dictate the giving of a non-compensated interview to Michael Kay over the phone or in person.

I'm not sure the organization can actually demand their players not perform compensated work of this type either. But, in ELi's case, he's the player face of the franchise and they pay him pretty handsomely so Eli probably would just take the hint and move on. Why die on that battlefield?

keyofgmen
04-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Eli vs Tebow in SB! WOOOOOO!!!! ...JK

YATittle1962
04-23-2012, 07:24 PM

anyone hear this?

The Jets station is ESPN 1050.* The Giants do not want their players to appear there....they would rather they appear on WFAN which is the home of the Giants.* It started with Eli not making appearances on ESPN 1050 this year.

Yep...that Eli interview was last year.* There will be no Eli interviews on ESPN 1050 this year, or any other Giants.

I turned on Francesa in the middle of him talking about it and assumed he meant the Fan

my bad

gfd_2
04-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Shame, I'd much rather listen to folks being interviewed by Kaye and La Greca that by those buffoons "Boomer and Carton" or the pompous Mike F.

shotcalla39
04-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Eli was on ESPN 1050 every week for the past 4 or 5 years

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Eli was on ESPN 1050 every week for the past 4 or 5 years

All good things must come to an end!

SweetZombieJesus
04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
John Mara, get on the horn with the Steinbrenner boys. The time is ripe for a Yankees-Giants sports talk station.

Dirt66
04-24-2012, 12:36 AM
John Mara, get on the horn with the Steinbrenner boys. The time is ripe for a Yankees-Giants sports talk station.
How AWESOME would that be?!!!!!!!!!!!

GreenZone
04-24-2012, 01:31 AM
What would be a whole lot better would just be for the station not to have more Patriot fan announcers (1) than Giant fan announcers (0).

Better for a flagship station not to have four Jets fans, one Eagles fan and one Redskins fan to zero Giants fans.

Personally, I feel the answer is for the Giants to develop their own station, in a similar vein to the old WNEW-AM. There are so many stations on the dial today that have been left for dead, particularly on the AM side. The Giants could even cut a deal with the NFL to carry the NFL network from XM/Sirius on the local airwaves to fill much of the broadcast day.

Zombie may not be far off on this one.

G-Men Surg.
04-24-2012, 01:39 AM

anyone hear this?

This.

G-Men Surg.
04-24-2012, 01:41 AM
John Mara, get on the horn with the Steinbrenner boys.* The time is ripe for a Yankees-Giants sports talk station.

Where do I sign for it bro, I'm all in .

bg79
04-24-2012, 12:45 PM
I find it funny that WFAN is supposedly the official Giants station because there is nothing from their content to indicate that. All they talk about is the Jets, Yankees, Knicks, and Mets. There was little to no talk about the Giants and when there was it was awkward mentioning with qualifying that they're Jet's fans and thus don't know the players as well. It's sad and pathetic that the best team in NY gets second rate treatment from the local media. Overall I can't stand the local sports stations especially when I just came back from a trip to Pittsburgh and listened to their FAN station (still listening to it now on the radio) and they just do it right. For one there is actual talk about their playoff hockey team (well not in the playoffs anymore) there is zero talk about the 2 NY area Hockey teams playing in the playoffs right now. They have great baseball coverage and of course they're die hard with the Steelers. Obviously they dont have multiple teams to choose from but overall I just noticed people there way more sports orientated in general. Everywhere I went the majority of people were wearing some sort of sports merchandise on them. On the drive back as I had to shift away to that station and back to the NY sports stations I was just disappointed with the lack of quality and content discussing the nuts and bolts of the sport.

jomo
04-24-2012, 12:50 PM

anyone hear this?

whats going on with this?If it is 1050 ESPN it could be payback for the jets squashing Eli's long standing weekly show on that station. Otherwise it is a mystery.

THIRDINF516
04-24-2012, 01:58 PM

anyone hear this?

Told you it was a crap station.

Francessa has single handedly alienated the entire NFL.

lol such a idiotic statement.

WFAN is entertaining and in the process of signing ELI to do a weekly interview.

Francessa is a smart man, he plays his role perfect..

THIRDINF516
04-24-2012, 02:02 PM
What would be a whole lot better would just be for the station not to have more Patriot fan announcers (1) than Giant fan announcers (0).

Better for a flagship station not to have four Jets fans, one Eagles fan and one Redskins fan to zero Giants fans.

Personally, I feel the answer is for the Giants to develop their own station, in a similar vein to the old WNEW-AM. There are so many stations on the dial today that have been left for dead, particularly on the AM side. The Giants could even cut a deal with the NFL to carry the NFL network from XM/Sirius on the local airwaves to fill much of the broadcast day.

Who cares what teams the hosts are fans of..

I'm a huge Giants fan and I have ZERO problem with WFAN.

There is plenty of Giants talk....

People find a reason to complain about everything, its actually very comical..

bg79
04-24-2012, 06:20 PM

Who cares what teams the hosts are fans of..

I'm a huge Giants fan and I have ZERO problem with WFAN.

There is plenty of Giants talk....

People find a reason to complain about everything, its actually very comical..

I don't know what station you're listening to but WFAN only talks about the Giants when they absolutely have to and it's obvious it pains them to do so as it's out of their comfort zone. From the morning to the evening all the hosts are either fans of the Jets over the Giants or somewhat indifferent to Football and only talking about it because that is what people are demanding. If you go and hear what a real sports station sounds like in a different market then you'd see what you're missing as far as us not getting the proper representation on the radio that this team as World Champs deserves.

bleeding blue
04-24-2012, 06:24 PM
Good 1050 doesn't even come in thru my car radio. In fact, it comes in clear when im driving in Virginia but when I'm driving in the city (Manhattan) I get nothing but static.

They need to fix their antenna or something.

bg79
04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Good 1050 doesn't even come in thru my car radio. In fact, it comes in clear when im driving in Virginia but when I'm driving in the city (Manhattan) I get nothing but static.

They need to fix their antenna or something.

Out in Seymour CT over here I'll get it perfectly clear on the highway but it's unlistenable on any other roads, its real annoying as I feel they have better overall sports programming and hosts. They actually will talk about the Rangers and I found they more readily talked about the Giants than 660 was. Is there an FM sports option here? What sucks is nowadays small digital music players like the sansa clip only have FM tuners on them so you're SOL if you want to listen to AM radio.

bigblue58
04-25-2012, 10:15 AM
[quote user="YATittle1962"]I'm listening to Mike right now and he is talking about how the Giants organization is pulling their players from appearing full time on the Jets flagship station

anyone hear this?

whats going on with this?[/quote

]No no no....you have it backwards dude. They aren't pulling the Giants from WFAN, they only want Giants players to be ON WFAN. They are pulling them from the Jets flagship station on ESPN radio.