PDA

View Full Version : TEN BEST DRAFT PICKS IN GIANTS' HISTORY

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 09:16 PM
TEN BEST DRAFT PICKS IN GIANTS' HISTORY (http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/new_york_giants_10_best_draft_picks_in_history/10622818)

"Since George Young took over as general manager of the New York Giants in 1979,
the franchise has enjoyed enormous success. Young was succeeded by Ernie
Accorsi, who was succeeded by Jerry Reese. All three men have made some stellar
personnel moves over the years. And believe it or not, two of the top draft
picks in franchise history (according to this list, at least) actually came
before 1979.

There were some close calls that didn’t make the cut. You
be the judge:

1. LB LAWRENCE TAYLOR, 1981, Round 1
(2<sup>nd</sup> overall)
Getting LT with the second overall pick was
a no-brainer – the Saints were one of only two NFL teams that did not have
Taylor ranked as the best player in the draft, and they had the top pick (and
took RB George Rogers). But the pick didn’t come without some drama. Taylor’s
agent was demanding big money, and some veteran Giants were threatening to
boycott if a rookie came in and made more money than them before playing a game.
But Young was unfazed – declaring that Taylor was a better prospect than ***
Butkus. As usual, Young was right. Off-field issues notwithstanding, Taylor went
on to be the greatest player in team history.

2. QB PHIL SIMMS,
1979, Round 1 (7<sup>th</sup> overall)
No doubt Simms endured
growing pains and took a while to establish himself – heck, Bill Parcells once
picked Scott Brunner over him as the starter. But the fair-haired Simms became a
star. More notably, he is the symbol of a franchise’s resurrection. Following
the infamous “Miracle at the Meadowlands,” the most devastating loss in Giants
history, the front office was blown up. Young was brought in and Simms was his
first draft pick. The rest, as they say, is history.

One interesting
side note: Another smart personnel guy who really liked Simms in that draft was
San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh. Simms, from tiny Morehead State, was not
expected to be such a high draft pick. Walsh was targeting Simms for the third
round. And if Simms had lasted that long, the 49ers would have taken him instead
of the quarterback they “settled” on: Joe Montana.

3. DE MICHAEL
STRAHAN, 1993, Round 2 (40<sup>th</sup> overall)
The Giants didn’t
have a first-round pick in ’93, but they sure made up for it with this pick.
Strahan’s small-school background (Texas Southern) is what kept him on the board
this long. He didn’t blossom right away, but when his 15-year career was over,
he ended up with 141.5 sacks (including an NFL-record 22.5 in 2001). Next year,
he’ll be in Canton.

4. LB HARRY CARSON, 1976, Round 4
(105<sup>th</sup> overall)
Despite the presence of Lawrence Taylor,
former Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick called Carson the best
linebacker he ever coached. Carson was a rock in the middle of those great
Giants defenses, going to nine Pro Bowls in his 13 NFL seasons and eventually
landing in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

5. DE GEORGE MARTIN,
1975, Round 11, 262<sup>nd</sup> overall)
Talk about return on
investment. For a player drafted 262<sup>nd</sup> overall, Martin missed just
six games in 14 seasons (all with the Giants). He set an NFL record for
defensive linemen with six career defensive touchdowns (a mark since broken by
Jason Taylor), and he was a team captain in Super Bowl XXI, in which he sacked
John Elway for a safety.

6. TE MARK BAVARO, 1985, Round 4 (100<sup>th</sup>
overall)
Forget about the stats. Bavaro’s toughness and
determination epitomized the two Super Bowl-winning teams he was a part of.
Remember the catch-and-run Bavaro made in a 1986 Monday night game against San
Francisco – when he dragged a half-dozen 49ers on his back for 20 yards? If that
were the only play he ever made, Bavaro would have been worth that fourth-round
draft pick.

7. DE JASON PIERRE-PAUL, 2010, Round 1
(15<sup>th</sup> overall)
The ultimate example of the draft’s “best
available athlete” philosophy. By all accounts, Pierre-Paul was a project who
needed time to develop. By all accounts, the defensive line was a strength for
the Giants. But Reese couldn’t pass on drafting a potential star, and it didn’t
take long at all for Pierre-Paul to pay dividends. After just two seasons, he’s
become a force to reckon with. Making this pick even more impressive: Some
draftniks had the Giants taking Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan, a more polished
prospect; Morgan went to Tennessee with the very next pick, but he is nowhere
near Pierre-Paul’s class.

8. RB JOE MORRIS, 1982, Round 2
(45<sup>th</sup> overall)
After taking a running back with their
first-round pick in ’82 – Butch Woolfolk of Michigan – it seemed odd that the
Giants came back with another RB in the second. Good thing they did. Woolfolk
did little in three seasons with the Giants. Morris, meanwhile, scored 21
rushing touchdowns in 1985 and then rushed for 1,516 yards a year
later.

9. RB AHMAD BRADSHAW, 2007, Round 7 (250<sup>th</sup>
overall)
When it comes to players from Marshall whose draft stock
dropped due to off-field issues, Randy Moss has nothing on Bradshaw. At least
Moss was still a first-round pick. Bradshaw was the 26<sup>th</sup> and final
running back drafted in ’07. All he’s done since then is average 4.6 yards per
carry and help the Giants win a pair of Super Bowls.

10. RB
DAVID MEGGETT, 1989, Round 5 (132<sup>nd</sup> overall)
Bill
Parcells was actually pissed when Giants GM George Young picked this undersized
(5-7) all-purpose back. But the Tuna grew to love the versatile Meggett – so
much so that he brought him along on his next two coaching stops, New England
and the Jets."
</p>

Redeyejedi
04-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Armstead should be on that list I think.Even Justin Tuck better value then Meggett

GMenNY21
04-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Where the Hell is Eli??

giantsfan420
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
how the hell is eli not on this list???????

i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion...

VegasGmen
04-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Where the Hell is Eli??</P>

Eli wasn't drafted by the Giants! Draft day trade.</P>

GmenFan1980
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I love Ahmad, but I feel Hakeem nicks was a better pick them him.

Still a good list. If only the chargers weren't pricks and just let us draft Eli like we wanted lol

giantsfan420
04-23-2012, 09:39 PM
how the hell is eli not on this list???????

i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion...

oh yeah, wow im a moron. we technically didnt draft eli i guess. unofficially we did tho

craigjr007
04-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Lol I wouldn't have bradshaw on the top ten

VegasGmen
04-23-2012, 09:41 PM
how the hell is eli not on this list??????? i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion... oh yeah, wow im a moron. we technically didnt draft eli i guess. unofficially we did tho</P>

Thats ok we will give you a pass since 4/20 was just a few days ago.</P>

TheEnigma
04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Maybe I'm just being picky here but I wouldn't consider LT to be the best DRAFT PICK in Giants history. To most sane people, he was the best player in that draft and anyone with a quarter of a brain would of selected him #1 overall. I put more respect in finding late round players like Bradshaw and Diehl who contribute than getting the obviously good players. Just my two cents.

VegasGmen
04-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Maybe I'm just being picky here but I wouldn't consider LT to be the best DRAFT PICK in Giants history. To most sane people, he was the best player in that draft and anyone with a quarter of a brain would of selected him #1 overall. I put more respect in finding late round players like Bradshaw and Diehl who contribute than getting the obviously good players. Just my two cents.</P>

Disagree look how many times teams picking in the top 10 have screwed up over the past couple of decades. Just look at the Saints that year taking Rodgers over LT. Granted Rodgers did have a decent career</P>

slipknottin
04-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Sims was the giants 2nd best draft pick of all time?

Have to be on drugs to think that

buddy33
04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't get it. I think JPP is a great pick and might end up being an all time great in this league, but Tuck is a great DE. This team turned it around when he started to get kind of healthy at the end of this season. If it wasn't for Eli he might have been a Super Bowl MVP twice. Speaking of Eli, how is he not on that list?

TheEnigma
04-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Maybe I'm just being picky here but I wouldn't consider LT to be the best DRAFT PICK in Giants history. To most sane people, he was the best player in that draft and anyone with a quarter of a brain would of selected him #1 overall. I put more respect in finding late round players like Bradshaw and Diehl who contribute than getting the obviously good players. Just my two cents.</P>

Disagree look how many times teams picking in the top 10 have screwed up over the past couple of decades. Just look at the Saints that year taking Rodgers over LT. Granted Rodgers did have a decent career</P>The Saints were in the minority that ranked Rodgers over LT though. I'm not dissing LT the player here since he is still the #1 Giants player of all time as of today but what I'm saying is that the selection of him was an obvious no brainer move. At that point in time, he was an extremely clean player.

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Where the Hell is Eli??

We didn't draft Eli, we traded for him

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Maybe I'm just being picky here but I wouldn't consider LT to be the best DRAFT PICK in Giants history. To most sane people, he was the best player in that draft and anyone with a quarter of a brain would of selected him #1 overall. I put more respect in finding late round players like Bradshaw and Diehl who contribute than getting the obviously good players. Just my two cents.

How many other players can you name who changed the way the game was played?

NYGRealityCheck
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Notables:

Amani Toomer: second round, 34th overall, 1996 draft.

Rodney Hampton: first round, 24th overall, 1990 draft

Flip Empty
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
No Tiki?

TheEnigma
04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
How many other players can you name who changed the way the game was played?I'm not debating LT's talents here. What I'm saying is that George Young's selection of LT was a move most people would of made even at the time before we knew LT would become the greatest defensive player of all time.

Now if LT wasn't projected that high but Young selected him anyway, it would mean that he knew something that others didn't about the player and that he really did his homework.

GMenNY21
04-23-2012, 10:03 PM

Eli wasn't drafted by the Giants! Draft day trade.</P>how could I forget!!? Lol my fault

DragonSoul
04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Where the Hell is Eli??I was thinking the same thing. It be either 1 or 2 lol

jomo
04-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Where the Hell is Eli??I was thinking the same thing. It be either 1 or 2 lolHe wasn't drafted by us. We drafted Rivers and traded him to the Chargersfor the rights to Eli.

RoanokeFan
04-23-2012, 10:36 PM
How many other players can you name who changed the way the game was played?I'm not debating LT's talents here. What I'm saying is that George Young's selection of LT was a move most people would of made even at the time before we knew LT would become the greatest defensive player of all time.

Now if LT wasn't projected that high but Young selected him anyway, it would mean that he knew something that others didn't about the player and that he really did his homework.

That's easy to say now, but you really never know what to expect of draft picks. We took him with the 2nd pick and the rest is history.

Mohann
04-23-2012, 10:36 PM

It doesn't say the best value picks in Giants history. It says best pick. LT was the best player in Giants history, so he was the best pick. I remember the 81 draft. It was a different time. SI had a one or two page article on the draft and that was it. There wasn't a fraction of the coverage there is now. LT didn't get the media hype that Rogers did. RB were start players then, not role players like now. We had LBs galore, I wanted Rogers to drop to us. LT was the player that taught me I didn't know more than our GM. Not everyone saw LT as better, I wasn't the only one.

giantsfan420
04-23-2012, 10:43 PM
how the hell is eli not on this list??????? i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion... oh yeah, wow im a moron. we technically didnt draft eli i guess. unofficially we did tho</P>

Thats ok we will give you a pass since 4/20 was just a few days ago.</P>

well thank ya very much buddy...still holding onto the few brain cells i have left lol

YATittle1962
04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Where the Hell is Eli??

+1

jomo
04-23-2012, 10:58 PM
How many other players can you name who changed the way the game was played?I'm not debating LT's talents here. What I'm saying is that George Young's selection of LT was a move most people would of made even at the time before we knew LT would become the greatest defensive player of all time. Now if LT wasn't projected that high but Young selected him anyway, it would mean that he knew something that others didn't about the player and that he really did his homework.

That's easy to say now, but you really never know what to expect of draft picks. We took him with the 2nd pick and the rest is history.
I agree. Was Taylor considered more of a sure thing than Ron Dayne coming out of college? I don't think so.

TuckYou
04-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Wow. JPP already #7 all time? Let's wait a few more years... Bradshaw? Uh, give me Tiki Barber in the 2nd, Jessie Armstead in the 8th, David Diehl in the 5th....

What about Toomer? Pepper Johnson?

This is a bad top.10.

04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
How can you forget Carl Banks???

G-Man67
04-24-2012, 09:40 AM

yeah this totally discredits the list ... JPP plays one year and he is a better draft pick than 2 time Super Bowl MVP, Eli Manning</P>

RoanokeFan
04-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Let's understand this is one person's opinion. If we all put that list together how many would be identical?

Flip Empty
04-24-2012, 10:08 AM

yeah this totally discredits the list ... JPP plays one year and he is a better draft pick than 2 time Super Bowl MVP, Eli Manning</P>
Come on now, it's been said enough haha

http://i.imgur.com/lFtpB.jpg

Not drafted by the Giants.

B&RWarrior
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
How many other players can you name who changed the way the game was played?I'm not debating LT's talents here. What I'm saying is that George Young's selection of LT was a move most people would of made even at the time before we knew LT would become the greatest defensive player of all time. Now if LT wasn't projected that high but Young selected him anyway, it would mean that he knew something that others didn't about the player and that he really did his homework.

I agree. Was Taylor considered more of a sure thing than Ron Dayne coming out of college? I don't think so.</P>

Everybody thought LT was going to be a good player. Every No. 1, 2 overall pick is drafted with them becoming a star in mind. You never draft any player thinking they will redefine the position or change the way the game is played, even number one over all. I don't think ANYBODY new LT was going to be as good as he was. </P>

Look at Suh. He was one of the most hyped up draft picks in recent years. While he has played up to expectations he hasn't redefined the position. In his prime LT was the best football player I've ever seen. He has to be our best pick.</P>

Carl Banks &gt; JPP up to now</P>

Tiki &gt; Joe Morris (he got injured)</P>

</P>

</P>

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Notables missing from this list:

Tiki Barber
Carl Banks
Leonard Marshall
Frank Gifford
Sam Huff

On List and Shouldn't Be:

Joe Morris
Ahmad Bradshaw
JPP (wayyyyy too early for that)

Dave Megget is probably debatable. I don't think I'd have him in over the people I've mentioned who aren't on the list.

Morehead State
04-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Sims was the giants 2nd best draft pick of all time? Have to be on drugs to think that</P>

Honestly, I would have picked him for #1. It was considered a great reach when we drafted Phil. Turned out to be the greatest QB in Giants history. At least until now. And the new Giants era was ushered in by Phil. It was 1984 (Phils first healthy season) when the Giants started a great run from 84 thru 90.</P>

LT was a no brainer at #2. He was the most highly touted defensive player coming out of the draft ever.</P>

I would move Meggett up because it was considered a wasted pick by many experts. Bill Walsh actually came out and said that. He was a huge contributor.</P>

G-Man67
04-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Come on now, it's been said enough haha http://i.imgur.com/lFtpB.jpg Not drafted by the Giants.</P>

well if the poster is using that technicality, then i'll give him a pass .. but in my mind if you acquire a player who is in the draft on the same day of the draft, then for all intent and purpose he was your pick</P>

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Come on now, it's been said enough haha http://i.imgur.com/lFtpB.jpg Not drafted by the Giants.</P>

well if the poster is using that technicality, then i'll give him a pass .. but in my mind if you acquire a player who is in the draft on the same day of the draft, then for all intent and purpose he was your pick</P>

Really? It hurts to say "Oops I was wrong" that much huh?

Sheesh.

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Sims was the giants 2nd best draft pick of all time? Have to be on drugs to think that</P>

Honestly, I would have picked him for #1.** It was considered a great reach when we drafted Phil.* Turned out to be the greatest QB in Giants history.* At least until now. And the new Giants era was ushered in by Phil.* It was 1984 (Phils first healthy season) when the Giants started a great run from 84 thru 90.</P>

LT was a no brainer at #2.* He was the most highly touted defensive player coming out of the draft ever.</P>

I would move Meggett up because it was considered a wasted pick by many experts.* Bill Walsh actually came out and said that.* He was a huge contributor.</P>

it's the Top 10 Draft Picks by the Giants ... not the Top 10 Value Picks ... or Top 10 Surprise Picks ...

Megget is borderline at best imo.

The order doesn't really matter since that's even more highly subjective then the list itself.

RoanokeFan
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Where the Hell is Eli??</p>

yeah this totally discredits the list ... JPP plays one year and he is a better draft pick than 2 time Super Bowl MVP, Eli Manning</p>

Come on now, it's been said enough haha http://i.imgur.com/lFtpB.jpg Not drafted by the Giants.</p>

well if the poster is using that technicality, then i'll give him a pass .. but in my mind if you acquire a player who is in the draft on the same day of the draft, then for all intent and purpose he was your pick</p>

This isn't meant as a slight on Eli. It's not a "technicality." Eli wasn't drafted by the GIANTS.

If the list were TEN BEST GIANTS EVER, Eli would be on the list.

qndarius3
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Jessie Armstead was an 8th round pick. All he did was be a 5 time pro bowler and 4 time all pro. The fact hes not on this list completely disqualifies it.

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Jessie Armstead was an 8th round pick. All he did was be a 5 time pro bowler and 4 time all pro. The fact hes not on this list completely disqualifies it.

Great player for sure ... Top 10 Draft Pick? I think given the list and the names left off, that we can name 10 better then him.

Morehead State
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM

Honestly, I would have picked him for #1. It was considered a great reach when we drafted Phil. Turned out to be the greatest QB in Giants history. At least until now. And the new Giants era was ushered in by Phil. It was 1984 (Phils first healthy season) when the Giants started a great run from 84 thru 90.</P>

LT was a no brainer at #2. He was the most highly touted defensive player coming out of the draft ever.</P>

I would move Meggett up because it was considered a wasted pick by many experts. Bill Walsh actually came out and said that. He was a huge contributor.</P>

it's the Top 10 Draft Picks by the Giants ... not the Top 10 Value Picks ... or Top 10 Surprise Picks ... Megget is borderline at best imo. The order doesn't really matter since that's even more highly subjective then the list itself.</P>

Thats not the way i look at it. If its as you say then it would essentially be the top 10 Giants of all time who were drafted by us.</P>

I think its the top 10 picks based on where they were drafted and what the conditions and expectations were at the time.</P>

JPP
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
I don't get it. I think JPP is a great pick and might end up being an all time great in this league, but Tuck is a great DE. This team turned it around when he started to get kind of healthy at the end of this season. If it wasn't for Eli he might have been a Super Bowl MVP twice. Speaking of Eli, how is he not on that list?

If it wasn't for Eli he might have no Superbowls.

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Thats not the way i look at it.* If its as you say then it would essentially be the top 10 Giants of all time who were drafted by us.</P>

I think its the top 10 picks based on where they were drafted and what the conditions and expectations were at the time.</P>

This issue I have with Simms was that he was a 7th overall pick, he was SUPPOSED to be good.

LT was SUPPOSED to be good, but I very much doubt anyone anticipated he would be the best defensive player of all time.

I would make the list and factor in where they were drafted and how good they were.

Was Sims that great of a 1st round pick? No I dont think he was. He was a good player, arguably the best QB on a team which never really had that many good ones.

I think first you look at the hall of famers on the team, then when they were drafted.

Sam Huff, HOFer, the 4-3 defense was created around him, 3rd round pick. (technically only 30th overall)

Don Maynard, HOFer, 9th round pick.

Harry Carson, HOFer, 4th round pick.

I dont think Bradshaw, JPP, etc should be on the list either. Bradshaw was a good pick for a 7th rounder, but he has a career 3000 something yards. Nothing that special about that.

JPP has one good year, and he is one of the best draft picks for the giants ever? Lets slow down on that.

giantscolombia
04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Where the Hell is Eli?? +1</P>

</P>

Then the Phillip Rivers pick should be #2 because it technically gave us Eli :)</P>

allentown PA
04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
charles way...think we got him in the 7th round or so..quality pick

LT_was_good
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
Sims was the giants 2nd best draft pick of all time? Have to be on drugs to think that</p>

Honestly, I would have picked him for #1. It was considered a great reach when we drafted Phil. Turned out to be the greatest QB in Giants history. At least until now. And the new Giants era was ushered in by Phil. It was 1984 (Phils first healthy season) when the Giants started a great run from 84 thru 90.</p>

LT was a no brainer at #2. He was the most highly touted defensive player coming out of the draft ever.</p>

I would move Meggett up because it was considered a wasted pick by many experts. Bill Walsh actually came out and said that. He was a huge contributor.</p>

it's the Top 10 Draft Picks by the Giants ... not the Top 10 Value Picks ... or Top 10 Surprise Picks ... Megget is borderline at best imo. The order doesn't really matter since that's even more highly subjective then the list itself.</p>

Thats not the way i look at it. If its as you say then it would essentially be the top 10 Giants of all time who were drafted by us.</p>

I think its the top 10 picks based on where they were drafted and what the conditions and expectations were at the time.</p>

Using those criteria, I might sneak Nicks onto the list. He was drafted at a time when the team was absolutely desperate for a #1, fans were clamoring for Braylon Edwards and Anquan Boldin, Toomer on his way out, etc.

allentown PA
04-24-2012, 01:06 PM
armstead he was drafted in the 8th round..great quality pick

allentown PA
04-24-2012, 01:07 PM
how about getting sam huff in the 3rd?

Morehead State
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Thats not the way i look at it. If its as you say then it would essentially be the top 10 Giants of all time who were drafted by us.</P>

This issue I have with Simms was that he was a 7th overall pick, he was SUPPOSED to be good. LT was SUPPOSED to be good, but I very much doubt anyone anticipated he would be the best defensive player of all time. I would make the list and factor in where they were drafted and how good they were. Was Sims that great of a 1st round pick? No I dont think he was. He was a good player, arguably the best QB on a team which never really had that many good ones. I think first you look at the hall of famers on the team, then when they were drafted. Sam Huff, HOFer, the 4-3 defense was created around him, 3rd round pick. (technically only 30th overall) Don Maynard, HOFer, 9th round pick. Harry Carson, HOFer, 4th round pick. I dont think Bradshaw, JPP, etc should be on the list either. Bradshaw was a good pick for a 7th rounder, but he has a career 3000 something yards. Nothing that special about that. JPP has one good year, and he is one of the best draft picks for the giants ever? Lets slow down on that.</P>

It was the 7th pick but it shocked everybody, including Bill Walsh. Walsh would have taken Simms in the first but instead had to settle on Joe Montana in the 3rd.</P>

If Phil went to the Niners (thank God he didn't) he would have been a Hall of Famer like Montana.</P>

But my point is that Simms was considered a huge reach at 7. It seemed that George Young and Bill Walsh were the only guys who thought Simms was any good.</P>

Mohann
04-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Did someone bring up Rosey Brown and I missed it? Drafted in round 27 and made 9 pro bowls. How can he not be on the list?

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 03:04 PM
It was the 7th pick but it shocked everybody, including Bill Walsh.* Walsh would have taken Simms in the first but instead had to settle on Joe Montana in the 3rd.</P>

If Phil went to the Niners (thank God he didn't) he would have been a Hall of Famer like Montana.</P>

But my point is that Simms was considered a huge reach at 7.* It seemed that George Young and Bill Walsh were the only guys who thought Simms was any good.</P>

I dont really care if a guy was a reach or whatever. 7th overall pick he made two probowls and he is not a hall of famer. Thats not the best draft pick theyve ever made, not by a long shot. Dont think it is even close to a top 10 pick.

Morehead State
04-24-2012, 03:56 PM
It was the 7th pick but it shocked everybody, including Bill Walsh. Walsh would have taken Simms in the first but instead had to settle on Joe Montana in the 3rd.</P>

But my point is that Simms was considered a huge reach at 7. It seemed that George Young and Bill Walsh were the only guys who thought Simms was any good.</P>

I dont really care if a guy was a reach or whatever. 7th overall pick he made two probowls and he is not a hall of famer. Thats not the best draft pick theyve ever made, not by a long shot. Dont think it is even close to a top 10 pick.</P>

When you draft any player and they become the all time player for your team at that position (Especially QB) , plus ushering in an era of winning and championships its a great pick. Doesn't matter if he was the first player taken in the draft or the last.</P>

I have no idea what standards you are holding for draft picks. All draft picks are <U>prospects</U>, not proven pros.</P>

jdl
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
shouldnt rivers be #2 best pick as it gave the giants eli?

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 05:12 PM
plus ushering in an era of winning and championships its a great pick.* Doesn't matter if he was the first player taken in the draft or the last

Of course it does. Then its just best players drafted, not best draft picks.

If you are going with best players drafted, then LT is #1 by a huge margin.

B&RWarrior
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Top 10 draft picks in random order

1. LT
2. Phil Simms
3. Michael Strahan
4. Harry Carson
5. Carl Banks
6. Jumbo Elliot
7. Mark Bavaro
8. Tiki Barber
9. Keith Hamilton
10. Jessie Armstead

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 06:09 PM
If Bavaro makes your list, then Tuck needs to make it.

Tuck > Bavaro.

firstgamein49
04-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Glad to see someone remembered Rosie Brown. Some people have called him the best LT ever, but if not, he was certainly the best in Giants' history. Jumbo Elliot? How about Gifford? Huff? How far back do you go?

B&RWarrior
04-24-2012, 06:43 PM
If Bavaro makes your list, then Tuck needs to make it.

Tuck > Bavaro.

A top 10 list is always going to leave somebody out. We've been a good franchise for a long time.

Bavaro is one of my favorite Giants of all time. More than just his body of work or career success, I love the way he played the game, He made some of the greatest plays in Giants history. Justin hasn't passed Bavaro in my eyes. One of the best receiving and blocking TEs of all time. When I think about Giant Football Bavaro always come to mind. Tuck may overtake him one day, but he's not there yet.

Do you have Tuck over Marshall? I don't yet.

B&RWarrior
04-24-2012, 09:13 PM
If Bradshaw has 2 more good seasons he will be in my top 10-15.

allentown PA
04-24-2012, 09:26 PM
List sucks imo..megget, bradshaw, dont belong on that list, Simms is not 2nd...Where is Eli...armstead deserves to be on that list along with sam huff imo.

Toadofsteel
04-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Bradshaw doesn't belong on this list. But if you did a "Top 10 best-bang-for-your-buck" draft picks in Giants history, he would be at the very top. He was only 5 or 6 picks away from being Mr. Irrelevant, and has 2 years of 1000 yards rushing and 2 super bowls (one of which he was the starter). In such a list league-wide, he'd be only behind Tom Brady...

Rat_bastich
04-25-2012, 05:55 AM
If the list is going to include newer players such as Bradshaw and JPP, then we need to put Osi up there as well. Second round pick from Troy and a pass rushing specialist who has become a foced fumble monster.

Though, I prefer to leave the new guys out until they retire.

Firenugget
04-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Where the Hell is Eli??</p>

yeah this totally discredits the list ... JPP plays one year and he is a better draft pick than 2 time Super Bowl MVP, Eli Manning</p>

Come on now, it's been said enough haha http://i.imgur.com/lFtpB.jpg Not drafted by the Giants.</p>

well if the poster is using that technicality, then i'll give him a pass .. but in my mind if you acquire a player who is in the draft on the same day of the draft, then for all intent and purpose he was your pick</p>

This isn't meant as a slight on Eli. It's not a "technicality." Eli wasn't drafted by the GIANTS.

Whats funny about that is if we switch it around and there's a 10 best Chargers draft picks. The #1 guy never even played a snap for em lol.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
plus ushering in an era of winning and championships its a great pick. Doesn't matter if he was the first player taken in the draft or the last Of course it does. Then its just best players drafted, not best draft picks. If you are going with best players drafted, then LT is #1 by a huge margin.</P>

The original list suggests that its NOT the best all time Giants that were drafted by the Giants. It suggests that its the best draft pick when compared to their draft position. And other conditions at the time of their drafting.</P>

No one in their right mind would suggest that Dave Meggett is a top 10 all time Giant. But as a 4th round pick who many believed was a wasted pick, it makes perfect sense to put him on this list.</P>

Flip Empty
04-25-2012, 08:49 AM
If the list is going to include newer players such as Bradshaw and JPP, then we need to put Osi up there as well. Second round pick from Troy and a pass rushing specialist who has become a foced fumble monster.

Though, I prefer to leave the new guys out until they retire.
Agree there. It's unfair to compare a ten-year career with a two-year career.

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Whats funny about that is if we switch it around and there's a 10 best Chargers draft picks. The #1 guy never even played a snap for em lol.
</P>

Not true, baby LT is the #1 guy for the Chargers, then Fouts, then Seau,then Rivers the player your referring to.</P>