PDA

View Full Version : Packer news writer claims Giants used illegal formation in playoff game

Lambeau12
04-24-2012, 12:33 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Giants-used-illegal-formation-in-playoff-game/7af884a1-a95e-44c7-a306-c34dfd66d8b0

I just seen this article. Although I think we should let the loss go, it's been 3 months.

Dirt66
04-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Face it Green Bay.....The GIANTS came to your house and smacked you all over it. Stop with your excuses, the whining, and your pity party. You got BEAT DOWN by the eventual Super Bowl Champions. The Giants earned their way to a championship, just like you did the year before.SO STOP CRYING!!!

GmenFan1980
04-24-2012, 12:48 AM
I thought you just needed a certain number of players at the line, not specifically offensive linemen.

Whatever, I don't blame him for being annoyed.

I still get mad at dumb things too

Lambeau12
04-24-2012, 12:50 AM
I wish we could give the Giants props instead of being sore losers. That loss really hurt bad though. One of those games that will be hard for the team to get over for next year.

GreenZone
04-24-2012, 01:18 AM
What a complete joke this is to 1) pretend that it was only the Giants who have done this; and 2) to not have this fall 100% on NFL officiating and not the Giants, and 3) to not talk about the uphill battle the Giants faced at the hands of the refs.

The NFL officiating has been atrocious and the Packers or anyone rooting for the Packers should not be ones to complain, as the Giants had to overcome atrocious calls in both Packer games last year.

giantsfan420
04-24-2012, 01:26 AM
What a complete joke this is to 1) pretend that it was only the Giants who have done this; and 2) to not have this fall 100% on NFL officiating and not the Giants, and 3) to not talk about the uphill battle the Giants faced at the hands of the refs.

The NFL officiating has been atrocious and the Packers or anyone rooting for the Packers should not be ones to complain, as the Giants had to overcome atrocious calls in both Packer games last year.

well said. I wonder if that writer wrote an article about how the refs gifted GB a score after a CLEAR fumble was erroneously given back to GB when the sideline ref was right there, never blew the whistle, and was running with Phillips down the sideline until he got tackled.
Or on a 3rd down run to Ware, the refs had the WORST ball spot.
Or how the refs gifted GB ANOTHER td on that 4th down after Osi leveled Rodgers CLEANLY and it was called roughing the passer.

but ok, we can be fair. take any points we scored on the drive where we used an "illegal" formation if we can take the 14 points gifted to GB by horrendous officiating...

Firenugget
04-24-2012, 07:01 AM
I think I'm missing something...I see the article title but no article. Just a bunch of random Q/A.

Snappinnecks
04-24-2012, 08:07 AM
I'm going to post video that shows that not only does the GIANTS 'bow' their offensive line SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE!!!!! INCLUDING THE PACKERS!!!

Dorothy
04-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I wish we could give the Giants props instead of being sore losers. That loss really hurt bad though. One of those games that will be hard for the team to get over for next year.

Ok lambast 12, why did you bring this crap to our boards after the horrible calls made on our team in that game ???.

KidA
04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Illegal formation? Yeah, we get flagged for that like every other game.

LT_was_good
04-24-2012, 09:03 AM
I first read that as "used illegal information" and got really scared.

JimC
04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Whatever. Now it's an illegal formation that beat the 15-1 Pack at home by 17 points!

G-Man67
04-24-2012, 09:30 AM
i like that they have not gotten over it

SweetZombieJesus
04-24-2012, 09:35 AM
It gets in your head and stays there for a long time.

We had the same thing happen to us in 2008. 11-1 when Plaxico shot himself and we had beaten the final four teams that year (including to-be-champs Pittsburgh in their house and smacked down the Ravens, IIRC we ran for over 200 yards on them).

We stumbled after the shooting but were still #1 seed at 12-4.

The hated division rival Eagles came in and beat us, and classlessly too (McVomit had a big run that iced the game and on our sidelines picked up the sideline phone in one of several mockery moments).

All I can say is thank God the Eagles didn't win anything after beating us. But that one still sticks in my craw, to be honest... That will always be a "what-if" season. So we know exactly what you mean.

NorwoodBlue
04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
It's only an illegal formation (and it probably wasn't) until the next snap , then it's history. GTFOI packer backer.

NorwoodBlue
04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
The actual "charge" of illegal formation is way down at the bottom of the article. The charge is that the Giants tackles didn't line up so the top of their helmets crossed the plane of the center's belt line. I think this is a tough one for the officials because in passing downs the lineman often use a 2 point stance, thus they're in position to be legal if they used a three point stance; but the more upright two point stance makes it look like they're farther from the line. But, truth is every single team in the league stretches this just as far as they can. The Packers probably used it just as much as anybody else, so the whine is pointless.

TuckYou
04-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Yes. And to me it was clear the Packers paid off the refferees in both games last season vs the Giants. It was so blatently obvious it was disgusting. There was about 3-4 plays in each game that had every NFL fan outside of Green Bay scratching their heads. Suuuuuuure, Jennings caught that TD... Suuuuure, Jennings didnt fumble that ball....</P>

Why is this guy crying about it when its clear his team bennefited from 90% of the Refs calls?</P>

Cant wait for Packers to get busted like the Saints are right now. </P>

Something was way to fishy for it to be just "bad refereeing".</P>

RoanokeFan
04-24-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Giants-used-illegal-formation-in-playoff-game/7af884a1-a95e-44c7-a306-c34dfd66d8b0

I just seen this article. Although I think we should let the loss go, it's been 3 months.

Fixed that for you.

keyofgmen
04-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Yup and next they will start calling "traveling" in the NBA...

BlueJayC
04-24-2012, 10:00 AM
The OP isn't vouching for the article he's simply giving us a heads up.....based on his previous posts he's nota typical "troll".....</P>

Those losses hurt and as mentioned in a previous post that Eagle gameof '08/'09 was eerily similar and painful....and yes THANK GOD they didn't go on to win anything.....</P>

RoanokeFan
04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
The actual "charge" of illegal formation is way down at the bottom of the article. The charge is that the Giants tackles didn't line up so the top of their helmets crossed the plane of the center's belt line. I think this is a tough one for the officials because in passing downs the lineman often use a 2 point stance, thus they're in position to be legal if they used a three point stance; but the more upright two point stance makes it look like they're farther from the line. But, truth is every single team in the league stretches this just as far as they can. The Packers probably used it just as much as anybody else, so the whine is pointless.

When I look at the photo that accompanies this article I think Baas is squatting down before he comes back to his stance to snap the ball. I don't know where his "beltline" is as you can't see it but I doubt they just employed this formation for the Packers' game.

If this was such an egregious violation how is it they didn't bring it to the attention of the officials on play # 2? Some folks just take losing poorly I guess.

GMENAGAIN
04-24-2012, 10:03 AM

well said. I wonder if that writer wrote an article about how the refs gifted GB a score after a CLEAR fumble was erroneously given back to GB when the sideline ref was right there, never blew the whistle, and was running with Phillips down the sideline until he got tackled. Or on a 3rd down run to Ware, the refs had the WORST ball spot. Or how the refs gifted GB ANOTHER td on that 4th down after Osi leveled Rodgers CLEANLY and it was called roughing the passer. but ok, we can be fair. take any points we scored on the drive where we used an "illegal" formation if we can take the 14 points gifted to GB by horrendous officiating...</P>

Exactly.</P>

The refs tried to hand the game to them on a silver platter and we still stomped them out.</P>

Sissies . . . . . </P>

B&RWarrior
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
3 TO and a marshmallow defense, that is why they lost. Give the guy a break the offseason is long and every team needs something tocomplain about. I'm guilt of this too. I didn't see enough trophies with myGmen holding the trophy- HA!

GameTime
04-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Some members here really get your panties in a bunch over absolutley nothing.</P>

First off the OP, Lambeau12, is a good poster and not a troll. He/she has given props to the Giants many times.</P>

Second the article didnt mention ONCE that the illegal formation or suspected illegal formation was the reason the Giants won Super Bowl. It was a general question which was observed during that game. The Packer game WASN'T even mentioned!!</P>

Three it was one question of a long Q and A session. Not an article lambasting the Giants for cheating like some of your are responding. </P>

Chill out.....</P>

TrueBlue2180
04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Go to this video of the Giants vs. Packers divisional game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYBJvDz73w) at 0:18 seconds in and pause it. The Packers are using the same horseshoe formation. Look at the left tackle, his helmet is nowhere near the belt line of the center. Everyone does this. Sour grapes.

MikeIsaGiant
04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Being a 9-7 SB winner is beautiful. all these teams are sore losers and are jealous.

Get over it, jesus christ.

titwio
04-24-2012, 11:34 AM
I think the refs used illegal officiating but I didn't write an article about it.

GreenZone
04-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Three it was one question of a long Q and A session. Not an article lambasting the Giants for cheating like some of your are responding.

Not lambasting the Giants? The editor of the story took the opportunity to slam the Giants with the headline. The headline never said: "Giants and Packers, other NFL teams guilty of illegal formation."

Rather, the question was used as cheap trick to attempt to lump the Giants in with the Saints and earlier, the Patriots, as cheaters, in the minds of the readers.

Do you honestly believe that many Packer fans that read the article aren't going to come away with a more negative impression of the Giants? Do you really think this writer was responsible in saying this when the Packers do (did) the same thing?

But, you are correct that 'Labeau12' merely pointed this out and wasn't a party to this smear effort. It was good of him to bring it to this board's attention.

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I'll see your illegal formation and raise you forced fumble called back and a bogus roughing the passer call.

So the final score should have been 30-6?

Would that have made it easier to swallow?

RoanokeFan
04-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Three it was one question of a long Q and A session. Not an article lambasting the Giants for cheating like some of your are responding.

Not lambasting the Giants? The editor of the story took the opportunity to slam the Giants with the headline. The headline never said: "Giants and Packers, other NFL teams guilty of illegal formation."

Rather, the question was used as cheap trick to attempt to lump the Giants in with the Saints and earlier, the Patriots, as cheaters, in the minds of the readers.

Do you honestly believe that many Packer fans that read the article aren't going to come away with a more negative impression of the Giants? Do you really think this writer was responsible in saying this when the Packers do (did) the same thing?

But, you are correct that 'Labeau12' merely pointed this out and wasn't a party to this smear effort. It was good of him to bring it to this board's attention.

I have to ask, why should anyone care what any other fans think of our team?

RagTime Blue
04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Go to this video of the Giants vs. Packers divisional game (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrYBJvDz73w) at 0:18 seconds in and pause it. The Packers are using the same horseshoe formation. Look at the left tackle, his helmet is nowhere near the belt line of the center. Everyone does this. Sour grapes.

Yep, the LOS is the Giants 29, and there's only 2 Green Bay players on (or close to) the 30. I believe the rule is to have 7.

I doubt the league will crack down on that, given its commitment to offense and point-scoring.

Good catch though, TB2180.

bubblesmcgee
04-24-2012, 12:44 PM
All of you missed bringing up driver stepping out of bounds then catching the td pass...and ballards not TD. Both of those were reviewed and both stood as called.

JPP
04-24-2012, 12:49 PM
i like that they have not gotten over it

We are in their heads. They wanted revenge for the 2007 NFCCG and instead all they got now is excuses.

giantsforce
04-24-2012, 12:51 PM

I just seen this article. Although I think we should let the loss go, it's been 3 months.Who cares what a Packers writer thinks? The fact that we did it twice in their house is still burning them up. The fact that we did it to them despite all the help they got from the refs especially the phantom helmet to helmet call against Osi that gave them a TD instead of them punting the ball is conveniently omitted!
We got lucky alright! Let's see what excuse they will use to amuse us when we beat them for the 3rd time.

GameTime
04-24-2012, 01:37 PM

</P>

Read the article and not just the headlines. I understand what you are saying but if you read the what was actally writtenyou come away with just about nothing. The question and answer had nothing to even do with the Giants/Pack game. </P>

DVision
04-24-2012, 01:57 PM

</p>

Read the article and not just the headlines. I understand what you are saying but if you read the what was actally writtenyou come away with just about nothing. The question and answer had nothing to even do with the Giants/Pack game. </p>

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248); display: inline !important; float: none; ">“The Giants' offensive line resembled a horseshoe at times, <font size="3">again</font>, in the Super Bowl. Do you think they should have been penalized?”</span>

<b style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(248, 248, 248); ">"The Giants grossly violated that rule in 2011, in my opinion, and as I predicted, it will now be a major point of emphasis in enforcing it.[/b]"

The first part is a question presented about something that was previously brought up.The writer is rehashing a point (making excuses) he brought up after the Giants - Packers playoff game and something he also observed in the Super Bowl. He is also acting as if it is only the Giants who violated and hence their will be more strict enforcement.

Greenzone is spot on minus the caring what Packers fans think part.[:)]

GameTime
04-24-2012, 02:55 PM

</P>

Read the article and not just the headlines. I understand what you are saying but if you read the what was actally writtenyou come away with just about nothing. The question and answer had nothing to even do with the Giants/Pack game. </P>

<SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(248,248,248); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 12px/18px 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">“The Giants' offensive line resembled a horseshoe at times, <FONT size=3>again</FONT>, in the Super Bowl. Do you think they should have been penalized?”</SPAN>

<B style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; LINE-HEIGHT: 18px; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(248,248,248); FONT-VARIANT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); FONT-SIZE: 12px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">"The Giants grossly violated that rule in 2011, in my opinion, and as I predicted, it will now be a major point of emphasis in enforcing it.[/B]"

The first part is a question presented about something that was previously brought up.The writer is rehashing a point (making excuses) he brought up after the Giants - Packers playoff game and something he also observed in the Super Bowl. He is also acting as if it is only the Giants who violated and hence their will be more strict enforcement.

</P>

whatever....its still a bunch of BS over nothing. Its a non issue. </P>

Lambeau12
04-24-2012, 03:58 PM
You guys are the victors, hats off to you. Best of luck in the draft next week. Hope we can pick up a pass rush.

Drez
04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I first read that as "used illegal information" and got really scared.

Me too! lol

Manning
04-24-2012, 10:09 PM
LOL LOOK AT THIS VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNHCGZBOXA

look how deep their right tackle is @ 27 second mark.

skip ahead to 59second in, massive bow in their line. Both tackles are lined up behind even their own QB.

@1:38 mark, again, the right tackle is basically in their backfield. His helmet is barely at the centers ***, forget the belt line. I'd screen shot it and post it but I'm not doing that much work here.

@2:25 mark, the right guard and right tackle are both so far behind the centers belt line, it's INSANE!!!!!

miked1958
04-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I wish we could give the Giants props instead of being sore losers. That loss really hurt bad though. One of those games that will be hard for the team to get over for next year.When the giants win it all there is always a reason why in the media opinion. It's all about what GB or NE , SF didn't do. Not what the giants did

miked1958
04-24-2012, 10:37 PM
I am tired of the dis respect

GreenZone
04-25-2012, 02:49 AM

</p>

Read the article and not just the headlines. I understand what you are saying but if you read the what was actally writtenyou come away with just about nothing. The question and answer had nothing to even do with the Giants/Pack game. </p>

<span style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(248,248,248); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 12px/18px 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">“The Giants' offensive line resembled a horseshoe at times, <font size="3">again</font>, in the Super Bowl. Do you think they should have been penalized?”</span>

<b style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; LINE-HEIGHT: 18px; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(248,248,248); FONT-VARIANT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; TEXT-INDENT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Regular', Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(51,51,51); FONT-SIZE: 12px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px">"The Giants grossly violated that rule in 2011, in my opinion, and as I predicted, it will now be a major point of emphasis in enforcing it.[/b]"

</p>

whatever....its still a bunch of BS over nothing. Its a non issue.</p>

The point I was attempting to make wasn't so much a concern about what people think, but about what false impression the writer is trying to create in the reader's mind.</p>

An analogy would be like someone lying about you, then one comes back and says: "Why do you care what people think about you?"
</p>

The writer is character assassinating the Giant organization by insinuation in attempting to ingratiate himself with Packer fans. It's the kind of garbage one would expect from the majority of mainstream journalists or, all too often, BSPN.
</p>

Tommy_Ribs
04-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Here is the Q&amp;A from the Site:

Vic, I don't mean to beat this question to death. I asked it awhile
back and didn't get a response. I found this “Ask Vic” question: Brian
from Little Rock, AR—“The Giants' offensive line resembled a horseshoe
at times, again, in the Super Bowl. Do you think they should have been
penalized?” “Yes, I do. I think this is an issue that should become a
major point of emphasis in 2012. It's tough enough to play defense in
this league; offense should at least be required to play by the rules.”
Will you explain what this formation is? Thank you and keep up the good
work. Love reading your column.</p>

It’s not a formation, it’s an
attempt by offensive linemen, especially the tackles, to drop back from
the line of scrimmage to gain an advantage in pass blocking. The helmets
of the men on the line of scrimmage must break the plane of the
center’s belt line. The Giants grossly violated that rule in 2011, in my
opinion, and as I predicted, it will now be a major point of emphasis
in enforcing it. The horseshoe to which you refer is the bow in the line
from center to tackle.</p>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</p>

I don't know what this guy 'Vic' is getting at, but we are called for a penalty for this ALL the time. So I am sure if the refs felt that we were lined up wrong, they would have flagged us.</p>

The bottom line is this, and I actually kind of like the Packers, Green Bay was not ready to play us that day. They had a great, great season last year, and were the best team in the NFL, but they were not ready to play that game. They went into that game thinking about winning, and we went into that game, thinking about playing football.</p>

They also rested some guys in Week 17, then in their playoff bye week in the Wild-Card round they had to deal with the absolutely horrible and devastating loss of the child of their OC. So they had a little bit of rust, and some awful outside issues happen at the worst possible time.</p>

But you could tell in that game they were not ready to play, and last year, we just happened to be a very tough matchup for them.</p>

That is why they lost, not b/c of the way our OL was lined up.
</p>

Manning
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
I'll say it again
LOOK AT THIS VIDEO<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNHCGZBOXA">

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNHCGZBOXA</a>

skip ahead to 59second in, massive bow in their line. Both tackles are lined up behind even their own QB.

@1:38 mark, again, the right tackle is basically in their backfield. His helmet is barely at the centers ***, forget the belt line. I'd screen shot it and post it but I'm not doing that much work here.

@2:25 mark, the right guard and right tackle are both so far behind the centers belt line, it's INSANE!!!!!

Tommy_Ribs
04-25-2012, 04:00 PM
I'll say it again

look how deep their right tackle is @ 27 - yup that should have been flagged.

skip ahead to 59second in, massive bow in their line. Both tackles are lined up behind even their own QB - the RT is two full yards behind the LOS

@1:38 mark, again, the right tackle is basically in their backfield. His helmet is barely at the centers - looks like there literally is a pocket for Rodgers before the ball is snapped. Not only that the WR at the top of the screen is supposed to be on the LOS, and he is two yards off of it. Should have been a flag there.

@2:25 mark, the right guard and right tackle are both so far behind the centers belt line, it's INSANE!!!!! - Neither the RT, nor Driver is anywhere close to the LOS.

Lambeau12
04-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Just to let you know I love the Packers but if I wasnt a GB fan I would be a Giants fan. Even though you knocked us out of the playoffs twice I still hold a soft spot for the Gmen.

CGYgiant
04-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Just to let you know I love the Packers but if I wasnt a GB fan I would be a Giants fan. Even though you knocked us out of the playoffs twice I still hold a soft spot for the Gmen.

I feel the same way about the Packers, classy organization.

Lambeau12
04-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I was happy when you won the super bowl this year. I thought you guys werent going to when you were down 17-9. I am happy you guys decided to punch it in the endzone at the end instead of trying to kick the game winning field goal. You never know if you botch the game winning field goal then you would be kicking yourself if you didnt try to score.

GreenZone
04-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I'll say it again

The YouTube Board Coaching Staff comes through again! No question Vic acted like a Skip. It's amazing someone would be paid for putting these "Answers" out there.

That last formation looked like the Center was the only one on the line of scrimmage (and only then because his arms are too short.

Axels15
04-25-2012, 10:23 PM

Believe us, we had it against the Eagles the year before. You'll bounce back. Too good a team