PDA

View Full Version : What if the giants just dont pick?

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 02:22 AM
jmike brought this up a couple days ago.

Last pick of the first round, they could just choose not to select anyone and let time expire. They would then have the entire night to work trades, figure out what player they would like to select, etc.

They didnt have this opportunity in 2008 because then the first draft day was 1st and 2nd round combined. (technically they werent picking 32nd that year either, but that didnt make a functional difference)

RagTime Blue
04-24-2012, 03:00 AM
I don't know how the league would handle this, but if they were smart and forward-thinking, they'd say that Day-1 will be the "first 32 picks".

So in the instance you mentioned, if the GMen go past their allotted time, the Colts would be wise to have their second pick ready to go.

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 03:11 AM
STL has the 33rd pick actually

The NFl ultimately could not have STL pick the end of the first day simply because it would be then adding an extra pick to the first round. If it told STL to pick if the clock expires, then giants could simply step in front of STL on their way up with the card and pick over them. There's no way the nfl could either force the giants to pick in day one or allow STL to use a 2nd round pick on the first day of the draft.

Marvelousmik
04-24-2012, 03:30 AM
no

NY_Eli
04-24-2012, 03:38 AM

Last pick of the first round, they could just choose not to select anyone and let time expire. They would then have the entire night to work trades, figure out what player they would like to select, etc.

They didnt have this opportunity in 2008 because then the first draft day was 1st and 2nd round combined. (technically they werent picking 32nd that year either, but that didnt make a functional difference)

Very interesting....the only potential problem I see with it would be if the Rams made their selection immediately the following day before the Giants had the chance to. Not sure how that would work though, I assume it wouldn't just be a race to the podium.

TheEnigma
04-24-2012, 03:51 AM
The NFL couldn't do anything about it this year but I'm sure they would put a stop to it once they realize what a huge advantage that gives to a team.

The last thing the Superbowl Champions (as in every year) need is an advantage with their draft picks by giving them a large sum of time to make a decision on.

gmen46
04-24-2012, 04:50 AM

If the Giants let their allotted time expire, they lose the pick. They would not get a "do over" the next day. It's no different from the old process, when 1st and 2nd rd occurred on Day One.

Why do you think that because now Day One is devoted to only 1st rd, the rules would change for the last pick of the day? Makes no sense.

NY_Eli
04-24-2012, 05:18 AM

If the Giants let their allotted time expire, they lose the pick. They would not get a "do over" the next day. It's no different from the old process, when 1st and 2nd rd occurred on Day One.

Why do you think that because now Day One is devoted to only 1st rd, the rules would change for the last pick of the day? Makes no sense.

That's not how it works. Teams don't lose their pick, they are able to submit it at any point but teams following have the opportunity to pick before them

giantsfan420
04-24-2012, 05:18 AM

yeah i cant believe u thought it would work like this slip.

all that would happen is our time expired, and the next day STL starts off the 2nd round...

michaelkhan3
04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
I think If our time expired the rams should be able to pick if they get there before we do. It doesn't make sense to not allow them to make the pick just because its out of the 1st round

GMENAGAIN
04-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting, but doesn't seem like a Giants move . . . .

webby65
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Agreed, it is not really a Giants type maneuver.

But I still wish the NFL would go back to the old format of Draft Day starting at Noon on Saturday, rounds 1-3 on first day, etc.

I hate this new format.

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Lots of confusion in this thread.

If a team does not select during its alloted time, they dont lose their pick, they are allowed to place their pick at any point.

Last year the ravens actually let time expire on their pick, and the Chiefs ran up and stuck in their draft pick before them. Then the ravens drafted right after KC.

As for STL being able to draft before the giants the following day, all the giants would have to do is submit their pick before the draft technically opens, since they have priority over STL, they get their choice still.

As for STL being able to draft again on the first day, not possible. They would be adding an extra pick and extra time slot to the first round. The league has not ruled on this already, which means if it does happen during the draft the league can not extend the draft without first ruling on it. If the league does rule on it right then, then the giants simply submit their pick and STL would go back to picking the following day.

jjj45
04-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Lots of confusion in this thread.

If a team does not select during its alloted time, they dont lose their pick, they are allowed to place their pick at any point.

Last year the ravens actually let time expire on their pick, and the Chiefs ran up and stuck in their draft pick before them. Then the ravens drafted right after KC.

As for STL being able to draft before the giants the following day, all the giants would have to do is submit their pick before the draft technically opens, since they have priority over STL, they get their choice still.

As for STL being able to draft again on the first day, not possible. They would be adding an extra pick and extra time slot to the first round. The league has not ruled on this already, which means if it does happen during the draft the league can not extend the draft without first ruling on it. If the league does rule on it right then, then the giants simply submit their pick and STL would go back to picking the following day.What time does the second round start the next day?

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 12:03 PM
What time does the second round start the next day?

7 PM

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 12:10 PM

I would think there would be something in place to prevent this kind of situation.

But stranger things have happened.

RagTime Blue
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Truth is that unless one of us has heard from a league official, we're all just speculating what will happen. I doubt the Giants F.O. would play games with the NFL, given the seemingly "cordial" relationship between Mara and Goodell. Why risk that for a something relatively value-less.

But I think if the Giants did (on purpose or on accident) go past the time limit, the league should do what they've always done when a team does this. They put the next-up team "on the clock".

Since the Giants are wrapping-up Round 1, that (in my mind) would mean shutting off the cameras and lights and sending all the football people to their hotels. Then when Day 2 opens, Rams would be "on the clock", with first priority to get a pick in (in the opening moments).

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
They put the next-up team "on the clock".

Since the Giants are wrapping-up Round 1, that (in my mind) would mean shutting off the cameras and lights and sending all the football people to their hotels.* Then when Day 2 opens, Rams would be "on the clock", with first priority to get a pick in (in the opening moments).

Even if they put the next team on the clock, the previous team still is able to pick before them. The team that passes on its pick always has the priority pick.

And I dont see how this is going to offend the NFL or something like that. Giants are abiding by the rules.

Harlem2va
04-24-2012, 12:25 PM
That's not true; if a team doesn't get it's pick in by the allocated time - the next team is on the clock!!

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 12:40 PM
That's not true; if a team doesn't get it's pick in by the allocated time - the next team is on the clock!!

the next team is on the clock, but the team who didnt pick can put its pick in first.

NorwoodBlue
04-24-2012, 12:51 PM
But the clock doesn't START until the next day, that's the beauty of this strategy. You'd have tons of time for teams to talk trade and maybe pick up an extra pick. If nothing good comes then you just make your pick.

That said, I bet the league already has something in place that says the first round must be concluded Thursday, and no one is allowed to pass over night. If they don't they might after someone inside reads this thread, LOL. Because it's not just the last guy, the Pats could do it with nearly the same effectiveness, as could the 49ers and several other late drafting teams.

jjj45
04-24-2012, 01:57 PM
What time does the second round start the next day?

7 PMSo then theoretically you could have all day to decide who to draft.

lawl
04-24-2012, 02:07 PM

the next team is on the clock, but the team who didnt pick can put its pick in first.
Tweet garafalo or something

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 04:02 PM

asking what?

lawl
04-24-2012, 05:17 PM

asking what?

What if the giants don't pick and use the extra time as leverage. (go on to explain how they have nothing to lose in doing so)

now that I have had some time to think about it. I'm sure the league would say some BS about it going against the "spirit"of the draft. Akin to penalizing Dallas and Washington when no written rule was in place.

TheEnigma
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
It is a pretty shady thing to do. Consider if Weeden is still available and the Giants want to trade back. This gives them almost a full day to get a deal done. Slick way to work around the current rules but is it fair for the 32nd pick to have such an advantage?

killerblue8787
04-24-2012, 06:08 PM
My guess would be once the giants time runs out the rams can make a pick and after either team makes a pick then the night ends. If the rams make the pick then when they start up the next day when they start up the giants can pick but the colts can also put in their pick before the giants so i think it would just be a continuation of that until the giants made their pick

michaelkhan3
04-26-2012, 09:07 PM
This has been clarified by Ralph Vacchiano

It turns out a team can not pass out of one day and into the next. The
Giants absolutely have to make a pick tonight, if they don't trade it
<p class="js-tweet-text">If they let the clock run out, the Rams (who
have the 1st pick of Round 2) will have the option to make their next
pick immediately but the Giants would still have to make a pick before the night ends.</p>
<div class="stream-item-footer">

<div class="context">
</div>
<a class="details with-icn js-details" href="https://twitter.com/#">
<span class="js-icon-container">
</span>

<span class="view-open js-view-details">
</span>

</a>
</div>