PDA

View Full Version : TE COACH POPE ON COBY FLEENER

AllTuckedUp
04-24-2012, 01:55 PM
"If it's gonna snow and the wind's gonna blow, we gotta run the ball, and we need tight ends who can block." ... As you likely know, there are some questions (from scouts) about Fleener's blocking ability. He's much more of a receiver than a blocker. In fact, some scouts see him as more of a WR than a TE.

Looks like we would go with Dwayne Allen first?

jax5338
04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
isnt dwayne allen a so-so blocker himself, just not as good a receiver as fleener? if anyone can coach a tight end to block, it's coach pope. look at what he did with shockey.

AllTuckedUp
04-24-2012, 02:04 PM
isnt dwayne allen a so-so blocker himself, just not as good a receiver as fleener? if anyone can coach a tight end to block, it's coach pope. look at what he did with shockey.

Then maybe he is blowing smoke to get Fleener. WHO KNOWS AHHHH

hungrrrry
04-24-2012, 02:07 PM
You know what?...to me this clears the air. I had this nagging feeling they might take fleener with the #32 pick and I was really hoping not...now do we trade down or get an RB...Dont'a Hightower is the likely guy though if he is available,if I was to believe all the talk.

Spedracer
04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Dwayne Allen has better hands than Fleener, and reportedly has worked hard on his blocking. Just go watch his tape...guy is a hands catcher.

B&RWarrior
04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
"If it's gonna snow and the wind's gonna blow, we gotta run the ball, and we need tight ends who can block." ... As you likely know, there are some questions (from scouts) about Fleener's blocking ability. He's much more of a receiver than a blocker. In fact, some scouts see him as more of a WR than a TE.

Not necessarily, we drafted Beckum he's not much of a blocker. Boss wasn't a great blocker either.

gmen0820
04-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Dwayne Allen has better hands than Fleener, and reportedly has worked hard on his blocking. Just go watch his tape...guy is a hands catcher.Allen has natural hands. He just plucks the ball out of the air. He is a hard working blocker, and he is great at it.

Bennett and Allen would be two mauling inline blockers, with a lot of upside in the pass game. I've said this a while, but we could run a 22/21 offense every week, and it would be so tough to stop.

Neverend
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
source?

AllTuckedUp
04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
source?

Ralph V tweeted that SI Peter King said it in one of his articles. Can't find the article but the two are credible.

gmen0820
04-24-2012, 02:41 PM
BTW, the article this was pulled out of has nothing to do with Fleener.

LT_was_good
04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Dwayne Allen has better hands than Fleener, and reportedly has worked hard on his blocking. Just go watch his tape...guy is a hands catcher.Allen has natural hands. He just plucks the ball out of the air. He is a hard working blocker, and he is great at it.

Bennett and Allen would be two mauling inline blockers, with a lot of upside in the pass game. I've said this a while, but we could run a 22/21 offense every week, and it would be so tough to stop.

Would Allen be a reach at the end of the 2nd?

Neverend
04-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Exactly.. i read this in a peter king excerpt about the giants.

cute little attempt by the OP

giantsfan420
04-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Would Allen be a reach at the end of the 2nd?*

no. in fact, we'd be lucky if he fell to that pick.

and we already have a great blocking TE in Bennett...

NewYorkSwagg
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Dude we are NOT getting FLEENERRRRRRRR!

NewYorkSwagg
04-24-2012, 02:56 PM
If Fleener is there we don't need him, bro we can draft Egnew from Missouri in the 4th round. He is bigger faster and catch better why waste a pick on Fleener when you can get the same type of player in the 4th round. Egnew stats dropped this year because he had a new QB and still had over 500 yards. Also the year before he had 900+ with Gabbert at QB who is now with Jacksonville Jags.

gmen0820
04-24-2012, 02:58 PM
If Fleener is there we don't need him, bro we can draft Egnew from Missouri in the 4th round. He is bigger faster and catch better why waste a pick on Fleener when you can get the same type of player in the 4th round. Egnew stats dropped this year because he had a new QB and still had over 500 yards. Also the year before he had 900+ with Gabbert at QB who is now with Jacksonville Jags.I don't like Egnew at all.

I think Coffman was even a better prospect than Egnew.

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM

exactly.

This absolutely means nothing about Fleener.

First, you have to make the conclusion that this article is implying the giants dont think Fleener can block.

Second you have to make the conclusion that this article means Beckum was at some point a wonderful blocker.

Third you have to make the conclusion that Pope believes Fleener can never become a good blocker.

Redeyejedi
04-24-2012, 03:06 PM

exactly.

First, you have to make the conclusion that this article is implying the giants dont think Fleener can block.

Second you have to make the conclusion that this article means Beckum was at some point a wonderful blocker.

Third you have to make the conclusion that Pope believes Fleener can never become a good blocker. I think Fleener gets picked before the Giants anyway.

Redeyejedi
04-24-2012, 03:08 PM
If Fleener is there we don't need him, bro we can draft Egnew from Missouri in the 4th round. He is bigger faster and catch better why waste a pick on Fleener when you can get the same type of player in the 4th round. Egnew stats dropped this year because he had a new QB and still had over 500 yards. Also the year before he had 900+ with Gabbert at QB who is now with Jacksonville Jags.I don't like Egnew at all.

I think Coffman was even a better prospect than Egnew.Michael "Bubble Screen " Egnew. He has the most padded numbers of any player in this draft. Im not even exaggerating by saying at least half of his catches are bubble screens. Why do u think Fleeners YPC doubles Egnews. I dont even know how u can grade Egnew properly. All he does is stand in the slot catches a bubble screen runs 5 yards and gets tackled. At least with Fleener I see him running the route tree getting separation on CB's at 6'6 247.Fleener is so much more fluid and explosive its not even close

CGYgiant
04-24-2012, 03:09 PM

exactly.

Third you have to make the conclusion that Pope believes Fleener can never become a good blocker. I think Fleener gets picked before the Giants anyway.

Id say Houston takes him in the first, Allen on the other hand should NOT be taken with our first. He would be decent value at then end of round 2

AllTuckedUp
04-24-2012, 03:13 PM

This is what I read from Ralph V on twitter and thought Pope said it about Fleener. If not, I am sorry.

For those hoping the Giants draft Coby Fleener, the @SI_PeterKing story includes this quote from TE coach Mike Pope ...

CGYgiant
04-24-2012, 03:39 PM

This is what I read from Ralph V on twitter and thought Pope said it about Fleener. If not, I am sorry.

For those hoping the Giants draft Coby Fleener, the @SI_PeterKing story includes this quote from TE coach Mike Pope ...

Yeah but I think this quote is being taken out of context.

Kevin Boss was NOT a run blocking tight end coming out of college, I remember him lacking pretty bad in that area.

Also, Beckum was obviously not good at run blocking at all coming out, he was known strictly as a H back. Furthermore we all know Shockey was terrible at run blocking coming out of college.

I seriously cant remember the last time the Giants drafted a run blocking tight end? I think Pope knows he can coach a guy to learn how to block but pass catching is something you have or you don't.

Kruunch
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM

We have two blocking TEs (Pascoe, Bennet).

We don't have a pass threat TE.

Draw your own conclusions.

Neverend
04-24-2012, 05:04 PM
and we already have a great blocking TE in Bennett...

finally i find myself agreeing with you. thanks for this, will use this point in anti-fleener arguments

TuckYou
04-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Exactly why we get a TE in the 6th round. We dont care much about our TEs, as evident with Boss, Ballard, Pascoe ect...

slipknottin
04-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Exactly why we get a TE in the 6th round. We dont care much about our TEs, as evident with Boss, Ballard, Pascoe ect...

Beckum was a 3rd round pick tho.

jomo
04-24-2012, 07:34 PM
"If it's gonna snow and the wind's gonna blow, we gotta run the ball, and we need tight ends who can block." ... As you likely know, there are some questions (from scouts) about Fleener's blocking ability. He's much more of a receiver than a blocker. In fact, some scouts see him as more of a WR than a TE. Looks like we would go with Dwayne Allen first? Not necessarily, we drafted Beckum he's not much of a blocker. Boss wasn't a great blocker either.Beckum's not much of an anything! [:D]

Tommy_Ribs
04-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I am confident that if we did get a guy like Fleener or Allen, Coach Pope would get a lot out of them. Fleener would be a terrific pick. With the rules the way they are in the passing game now, talented athletes in the passing game are putting up huge numbers.

One thing you can be sure of, Reese won;t reach for anyone. He'll pick to the strength of the board. I am hoping we have a good DE or Corner, or maybe a RB for our first pick.