PDA

View Full Version : Giants Top 5 Targets for Round 1...... bank it!

Shockeyitus
04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
1 - Coby Fleener
2 - Doug Martin
3 - Donta Hightower
4 - Devon Still
5 - Chandler Jones

One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.

NewYorkSwagg
04-24-2012, 05:07 PM
If Steelers don't pick Hightower, I'm cashing in the Giants will grab him at 32.

lawl
04-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Reuben Randle and Stephen hill are guys I think they're interested in too

Morehead State
04-24-2012, 05:20 PM
1 - Coby Fleener 2 - Doug Martin 3 - Donta Hightower 4 - Devon Still 5 - Chandler Jones One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.</P>

I see a vey low chance for Fleener, (a reach at 32) less of a chance for Hightower because he'll probably be gone, and it also looks like Jones might be gone too. That leaves Martin and Still. I'd prefer Martin but I'd prefer David Wilson over Martin. If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.</P>

Best chance of the 5 is probably Still and then Martin.</P>

</P>

Shockeyitus
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
1 - Coby Fleener 2 - Doug Martin 3 - Donta Hightower 4 - Devon Still 5 - Chandler Jones One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.</P>

I see a vey low chance for Fleener, (a reach at 32) less of a chance for Hightower because he'll probably be gone, and it also looks like Jones might be gone too.* That leaves Martin and Still.* I'd prefer Martin but I'd prefer David Wilson over Martin.* If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.</P>

*</P>

I disagree with you about Fleener being a reach. If the Giants really want to adress the TE position and they really like what Fleener brings to the table, they will pull the trigger. By calling him a "reach" at 32, says that he is not a top 32 talent in this draft, which is not the case.

I Bleed Blue 56
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I say stephen hill will be taken they want a big target opposite of nicks and cruz in the slot is a nightmare for teams. If they move cruz to the outside it takes away from his game. Reese took nicks number 28 i believe hill will be number 32 bank it.

Morehead State
04-24-2012, 06:09 PM

I see a vey low chance for Fleener, (a reach at 32) less of a chance for Hightower because he'll probably be gone, and it also looks like Jones might be gone too. That leaves Martin and Still. I'd prefer Martin but I'd prefer David Wilson over Martin. If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.</P>

</P>

I disagree with you about Fleener being a reach. If the Giants really want to adress the TE position and they really like what Fleener brings to the table, they will pull the trigger. By calling him a "reach" at 32, says that he is not a top 32 talent in this draft, which is not the case.</P>

Given the comments of our TE coach today, it seems less likely than ever than Fleener is on our radar.</P>

Neverend
04-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Hopefully they dont take jonathan martin if he falls. dont like him very much. Savvy and power rushers give him trouble

Shockeyitus
04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Hopefully they dont take jonathan martin if he falls. dont like him very much. Savvy and power rushers give him trouble

Not sold on Martin either... I feel like DeCastro was so dominant that it made Martin look better than he actually is.

NorwoodBlue
04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
I just want the draft to start so I can be shocked and discontented by the G-men's picks, only to be amazed and have to eat crow later by how well they fit in and contributed. The story of a Giants fan's draft, every year almost.

sharick88
04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Don't be suprised if we draft another defensive end in the first round. Osi and Tuck missed significant time last season due to injuries and Tollefson dipped out. You can never have enough pass rushers. Personally, I would not complain.

DVision
04-24-2012, 06:59 PM

I see a vey low chance for Fleener, (a reach at 32) less of a chance for Hightower because he'll probably be gone, and it also looks like Jones might be gone too.* That leaves Martin and Still.* I'd prefer Martin but I'd prefer David Wilson over Martin.* If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.</P>

*</P>

I disagree with you about Fleener being a reach. If the Giants really want to adress the TE position and they really like what Fleener brings to the table, they will pull the trigger. By calling him a "reach" at 32, says that he is not a top 32 talent in this draft, which is not the case.</P>

Given the comments of our TE coach today, it seems less likely than ever than Fleener is on our radar.</P>

When Pope made his statement he was talking about the qualities they saw in Jake Ballard that attracted them to him in 2010 as an undrafted free agent even though he had little to no production in college.

He was not speaking on Fleener and his abilities.

michaelkhan3
04-24-2012, 07:12 PM
1 - Coby Fleener
2 - Doug Martin
3 - Donta Hightower
4 - Devon Still
5 - Chandler Jones

One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.

I really dislike Chandler Jones. And I just don't get why people like Doug Martin better than David Wilson and Lamar Miller especially for the Giants.

critters
04-24-2012, 07:16 PM
If Steelers don't pick Hightower, I'm cashing in the Giants will grab him at 32.

This is what I'm really hoping for.

GMENAGAIN
04-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm a Fleener guy, but I have a feeling that Zeitler could be the pick . . . . </P>

Martyr
04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm a Fleener guy, but I have a feeling that Zeitler could be the pick . . . . </P>

</P>

I'd be thrilled with Zeitler</P>

buddy33
04-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I think hey are going DL. Probably DT.

Shockeyitus
04-24-2012, 11:27 PM

</P>

Zeitler reminds me a lot of Snee and Seubert... Just a tough SOB that likes toget nasty and maul someone. I don't hate the pick.

Kase-1
04-24-2012, 11:31 PM
If <u>Jonathan </u>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.

Best chance of the 5 is probably Still and then Martin.</p>

</p>To play what position, we already have Will Beatty as our starting LT and Jon Martin is strictly an LT, or at least from what ive read/seen on tape

Kase-1
04-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Top 5 1st Round Targets

Cordy Glenn, OL
Devon Still, DT
Mark Barron, Safety
Whitney Mercilus, DE
Luke Kuechly, MLB

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 09:25 AM
If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.

</P>

To play what position, we already have Will Beatty as our starting LT and Jon Martin is strictly an LT, or at least from what ive read/seen on tape
</P>

To develop into a solid LT. Draftees are prospects Kase. Your logic goes against JR's philosophy. (See........JPP)</P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Top 5 1st Round Targets

Cordy Glenn, OL
Devon Still, DT
Mark Barron, Safety
Whitney Mercilus, DE
Luke Kuechly, MLB

</P>

OK Kase, you just suggested a LT is a bad choice because we have a guy (who has started 10 games in his entire career with mixed results at best) at LT.</P>

Well we have two solid DT's, we have two outstanding safeties, we have 3 outstanding DE's and Kuechly will be gone probably in the top 10.</P>

You're a lovely chap but your being inconsistent.</P>

nycsportzfan
04-25-2012, 09:50 AM

</P>

To play what position, we already have Will Beatty as our starting LT and Jon Martin is strictly an LT, or at least from what ive read/seen on tape
</P>

To develop into a solid LT. Draftees are prospects Kase. Your logic goes against JR's philosophy. (See........JPP)</P> See Prince Amukumura when you all ready have Webster, TT, Ross, B.Johnson, as your top 4 CB's.. I think your right if Johnathan Martin is on the board, the giants will pounce.. I also think he will be fine to play RT in the NFL, if thats where we decide to try him... Actually, there are some people out there that think Martin is a RT in the pros, due to his having troubles at times with Speed rushers.. Also, i've read where people think bringing him along at RT, and refining his game to the pros before shifting em to the blind side..Hes a fantastic run blocker, and i just think it'd be to much value for reese to pass up if hes on the board..

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 10:09 AM

</P>

</P>

To develop into a solid LT. Draftees are prospects Kase. Your logic goes against JR's philosophy. (See........JPP)</P>

See Prince Amukumura when you all ready have Webster, TT, Ross, B.Johnson, as your top 4 CB's.. I think your right if Johnathan Martin is on the board, the giants will pounce.. I also think he will be fine to play RT in the NFL, if thats where we decide to try him... Actually, there are some people out there that think Martin is a RT in the pros, due to his having troubles at times with Speed rushers.. Also, i've read where people think bringing him along at RT, and refining his game to the pros before shifting em to the blind side..Hes a fantastic run blocker, and i just think it'd be to much value for reese to pass up if hes on the board..</P>

That was my argument to Kase. I think you should draft BPA even if we don't have an immediate need. I loved the Prince pick last year, and like most of us, I was watching his drop as he fell to us.</P>

He was claiming that we have Beatty so why draft a potential LT. I was only suggesting that he was being inconsistent. For the record, Will Beatty has proven nothing at all. LT is a huge question mark for us. </P>

I can't think of a single player we could draft that would start for us week one. Unless we have another rash of injuries. But in the TE matter, I just don't see a need, not because we have players ahead of him, but because its not what our team, given our style, needs.</P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
* If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.

*</P>

</P>

To develop into a solid LT.* Draftees are prospects Kase.* Your logic goes against JR's philosophy. (See........JPP)</P>

* See Prince Amukumura when you all ready have Webster, TT, Ross, B.Johnson, as your top 4 CB's..** I think your right if Johnathan Martin is on the board, the giants will pounce.. I also think he will be fine to play RT in the NFL, if thats where* we decide to try him...* Actually, there are some people out there that think Martin is a RT in the pros, due to his having troubles at times with Speed rushers..* Also, i've read where people think bringing him along at RT, and refining his game to the pros before shifting em to the blind side..**Hes a fantastic run blocker, and i just think it'd be to much value for reese to pass up if hes on the board..</P>

That was my argument to Kase.* I think you should draft BPA even if we don't have an immediate need.* I loved the Prince pick last year, and like most of us, I was watching his drop as he fell to us.</P>

He was claiming that we have Beatty so why draft a potential LT.* I was only suggesting that he was being inconsistent.* For the record, Will Beatty has proven nothing at all.* LT is a huge question mark for us.* </P>

I can't think of a single player we could draft that would start for us week one.* Unless we have another rash of injuries.** But in the TE matter, I just don't see a need, not because we have players ahead of him, but because its not what our team, given our style, needs.</P>

Well offensive line rarely garners a first round consideration barring some huge value (which most likely won't be there this year).

Beatty hasn't proven he's a HoFer true, but he has proven he can protect Eli, at least in the short term. Martin has less upside then Beatty (not as athletic and poor Combine) coming out of college. He's just more polished and played againt a better level of competition / in a better program than Beatty (hence his slightly higher draft grade). Of course I wouldn't mind if someone could teach him to run block a tad better (or at all).

#1 picks who could realistically start for us in 2012:

Doug Martin / David Wilson as our #2 RB behind AB. Of course you could say this about a few other RBs lower down the draft as well (LaMichael James, Robert Turbin, Chris Polk, etc ...).

Coby Fleener is the only TE that realistically could start for us this year. Dwayne Allen doesn't fit our system and the rest aren't polished enough to realistically be a starting TE in 2012 (that's not saying we couldn't force feed a TE like we did with Ballard, but you get the point).

Kendall Wright or Ruben Randall as our #3 WR. I don't see us going in that direction however and the value really isn't there (imo).

Those are the only three I see.

You could make the arguement for a Donta Hightower / Zach Brown as MLB but I think they'd have to be a huge standout to derail the Giants' plans on putting Boley at MLB this year.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 10:48 AM

</P>

</P>

See Prince Amukumura when you all ready have Webster, TT, Ross, B.Johnson, as your top 4 CB's.. I think your right if Johnathan Martin is on the board, the giants will pounce.. I also think he will be fine to play RT in the NFL, if thats where we decide to try him... Actually, there are some people out there that think Martin is a RT in the pros, due to his having troubles at times with Speed rushers.. Also, i've read where people think bringing him along at RT, and refining his game to the pros before shifting em to the blind side..Hes a fantastic run blocker, and i just think it'd be to much value for reese to pass up if hes on the board..</P>

That was my argument to Kase. I think you should draft BPA even if we don't have an immediate need. I loved the Prince pick last year, and like most of us, I was watching his drop as he fell to us.</P>

He was claiming that we have Beatty so why draft a potential LT. I was only suggesting that he was being inconsistent. For the record, Will Beatty has proven nothing at all. LT is a huge question mark for us. </P>

I can't think of a single player we could draft that would start for us week one. Unless we have another rash of injuries. But in the TE matter, I just don't see a need, not because we have players ahead of him, but because its not what our team, given our style, needs.</P>

Well offensive line rarely garners a first round consideration barring some huge value (which most likely won't be there this year). Beatty hasn't proven he's a HoFer true, but he has proven he can protect Eli, at least in the short term. Martin has less upside then Beatty (not as athletic and poor Combine) coming out of college. He's just more polished and played againt a better level of competition / in a better program than Beatty (hence his slightly higher draft grade). Of course I wouldn't mind if someone could teach him to run block a tad better (or at all). #1 picks who could realistically start for us in 2012: Doug Martin / David Wilson as our #2 RB behind AB. Of course you could say this about a few other RBs lower down the draft as well (LaMichael James, Robert Turbin, Chris Polk, etc ...). Coby Fleener is the only TE that realistically could start for us this year. Dwayne Allen doesn't fit our system and the rest aren't polished enough to realistically be a starting TE in 2012 (that's not saying we couldn't force feed a TE like we did with Ballard, but you get the point). Kendall Wright or Ruben Randall as our #3 WR. I don't see us going in that direction however and the value really isn't there (imo). Those are the only three I see. You could make the arguement for a Donta Hightower / Zach Brown as MLB but I think they'd have to be a huge standout to derail the Giants' plans on putting Boley at MLB this year.</P>

Its not that Beatty isn't a proven HOF'r. Its that he's not a proven LT in the NFL.</P>

And if we want to really make a splash in the draft, we should put Osi in a package with some picks and move up to pick Kuechly. But thats just me thinking out loud.</P>

Ultimately I think its all talk because given our position I would be willing to bet we go D line. Either a DE that drops or Still. I hope I'm wrong because our rushing attack is a big problem and I would love to see us address it. I prefer Wilson but I would also be happy with Martin from BS.</P>

TuckYou
04-25-2012, 12:56 PM
1 - Coby Fleener 2 - Doug Martin 3 - Donta Hightower 4 - Devon Still 5 - Chandler Jones One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.

I really dislike Chandler Jones. And I just don't get why people like Doug Martin better than David Wilson and Lamar Miller especially for the Giants.
</P>

Why dont you like Chandler Jones? IMO, he is another Tuck. I dont like how he shot up the boards though. He was a 3rd rounder after last season. Now he is a 1st rounder? </P>

And We WILL NOT draft a TE with the #1 pick, unless we trade back. </P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
1 - Coby Fleener 2 - Doug Martin 3 - Donta Hightower 4 - Devon Still 5 - Chandler Jones One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.

I really dislike Chandler Jones. And I just don't get why people like Doug Martin better than David Wilson and Lamar Miller especially for the Giants.* *
</P>

Why dont you like Chandler Jones? IMO, he is another Tuck. I dont like how he shot up the boards though. He was a 3rd rounder after last season. Now he is a 1st rounder? </P>

I think that's why he doesn't like Chandler Jones ... he's been over hyped of late.

I'm not a huge fan either ... decent guy but he doesn't have the athleticism that Tuck has, nor the elite pass rush skills the Giants cherish.

i tend to agree with you about the TE position ... I don't see the Giants drafting one in the first but Reese still has a small enough draft sampling to surprise us I think.

I equate it to us drafting Nicks in the first round in 2009. Obvious need, obvious value.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:06 PM

</P>

I think that's why he doesn't like Chandler Jones ... he's been over hyped of late. I'm not a huge fan either ... decent guy but he doesn't have the athleticism that Tuck has, nor the elite pass rush skills the Giants cherish. i tend to agree with you about the TE position ... I don't see the Giants drafting one in the first but Reese still has a small enough draft sampling to surprise us I think. I equate it to us drafting Nicks in the first round in 2009. Obvious need, obvious value.</P>

Thats why I'm hoping he goes with Wilson or Doug Martin. He has shown a willingness to go with need. He went KP in 08 and Nicks in 09. The last two drafts however have been BPA. Only because our targeted guys were gone. (at least in '10 with Mclain)</P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
* If <U>Jonathan </U>Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.

*</P>

</P>

To develop into a solid LT.* Draftees are prospects Kase.* Your logic goes against JR's philosophy. (See........JPP)</P>

* See Prince Amukumura when you all ready have Webster, TT, Ross, B.Johnson, as your top 4 CB's..** I think your right if Johnathan Martin is on the board, the giants will pounce.. I also think he will be fine to play RT in the NFL, if thats where* we decide to try him...* Actually, there are some people out there that think Martin is a RT in the pros, due to his having troubles at times with Speed rushers..* Also, i've read where people think bringing him along at RT, and refining his game to the pros before shifting em to the blind side..**Hes a fantastic run blocker, and i just think it'd be to much value for reese to pass up if hes on the board..</P>

That was my argument to Kase.* I think you should draft BPA even if we don't have an immediate need.* I loved the Prince pick last year, and like most of us, I was watching his drop as he fell to us.</P>

He was claiming that we have Beatty so why draft a potential LT.* I was only suggesting that he was being inconsistent.* For the record, Will Beatty has proven nothing at all.* LT is a huge question mark for us.* </P>

I can't think of a single player we could draft that would start for us week one.* Unless we have another rash of injuries.** But in the TE matter, I just don't see a need, not because we have players ahead of him, but because its not what our team, given our style, needs.</P>

Well offensive line rarely garners a first round consideration barring some huge value (which most likely won't be there this year). Beatty hasn't proven he's a HoFer true, but he has proven he can protect Eli, at least in the short term. Martin has less upside then Beatty (not as athletic and poor Combine) coming out of college. He's just more polished and played againt a better level of competition / in a better program than Beatty (hence his slightly higher draft grade). Of course I wouldn't mind if someone could teach him to run block a tad better (or at all). #1 picks who could realistically start for us in 2012: Doug Martin / David Wilson as our #2 RB behind AB. Of course you could say this about a few other RBs lower down the draft as well (LaMichael James, Robert Turbin, Chris Polk, etc ...). Coby Fleener is the only TE that realistically could start for us this year. Dwayne Allen doesn't fit our system and the rest aren't polished enough to realistically be a starting TE in 2012 (that's not saying we couldn't force feed a TE like we did with Ballard, but you get the point). Kendall Wright or Ruben Randall as our #3 WR. I don't see us going in that direction however and the value really isn't there (imo). Those are the only three I see. You could make the arguement for a Donta Hightower / Zach Brown as MLB but I think they'd have to be a huge standout to derail the Giants' plans on putting Boley at MLB this year.</P>

Its not that Beatty isn't a proven HOF'r.* Its that he's not a proven LT in the NFL.</P>

And if we want to really make a splash in the draft, we should put Osi in a package with some picks and move up to pick Kuechly.* But thats just me thinking out loud.</P>

Ultimately I think its all talk because given our position I would be willing to bet we go D line.* Either a DE that drops or Still.* I hope I'm wrong because our rushing attack is a big problem and I would love to see us address it.* I prefer Wilson but I would also be happy with Martin from BS.</P>

No way we package one of our best pass rushers for an MLB. I'd be less surprised if the Pope admitted to being an agnostic.

Default position says the Giants go defensive line, I agree.

I also agree that our run game needs a huge boost (both on the Oline and the RB position).

I'd be very surprised if we go RB in the first (just as I'd be surprised if we go TE in the first), but I'd love to see it just the same. I wouldn't be upset with Amini Silatolu in the first or Keleche Osemele in the second. Both have the versatility to play OG or OT which the Giants love.

I'm on the fence about Beatty. I disagree with you about him not showing anything. To me he's shown that he can be a pass protector in the NFL which is key to the LT position. He hasn't shown that he can be a complete LT yet (his run blocking is for caca). Given that, I can see the Giants going for an athletic speciman project (hence Silatolu or Osemele).

I think Jonathan Martin, Mike Adams and Zebrie Sanders are highly rated traps in this draft.

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:10 PM

I really dislike Chandler Jones. And I just don't get why people like Doug Martin better than David Wilson and Lamar Miller especially for the Giants.* *
</P>

I think that's why he doesn't like Chandler Jones ... he's been over hyped of late. I'm not a huge fan either ... decent guy but he doesn't have the athleticism that Tuck has, nor the elite pass rush skills the Giants cherish. i tend to agree with you about the TE position ... I don't see the Giants drafting one in the first but Reese still has a small enough draft sampling to surprise us I think. I equate it to us drafting Nicks in the first round in 2009. Obvious need, obvious value.</P>

Thats why I'm hoping he goes with Wilson or Doug Martin.* He has shown a willingness to go with need.* He went KP in 08 and Nicks in 09.* The last two drafts however have been BPA.* Only because our targeted guys were gone.* (at least in '10 with Mclain)</P>

Yep yep.

Although I don't think JPP was BPA (Iupati was concensus BPA at the time of our pick AND a need). JPP was more potential then anything else.

But boy they got that one right.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:15 PM

</P>

</P>

Its not that Beatty isn't a proven HOF'r. Its that he's not a proven LT in the NFL.</P>

And if we want to really make a splash in the draft, we should put Osi in a package with some picks and move up to pick Kuechly. But thats just me thinking out loud.</P>

Ultimately I think its all talk because given our position I would be willing to bet we go D line. Either a DE that drops or Still. I hope I'm wrong because our rushing attack is a big problem and I would love to see us address it. I prefer Wilson but I would also be happy with Martin from BS.</P>

No way we package one of our best pass rushers for an MLB. I'd be less surprised if the Pope admitted to being an agnostic. Default position says the Giants go defensive line, I agree. I also agree that our run game needs a huge boost (both on the Oline and the RB position). I'd be very surprised if we go RB in the first (just as I'd be surprised if we go TE in the first), but I'd love to see it just the same. I wouldn't be upset with Amini Silatolu in the first or Keleche Osemele in the second. Both have the versatility to play OG or OT which the Giants love. I'm on the fence about Beatty. I disagree with you about him not showing anything. To me he's shown that he can be a pass protector in the NFL which is key to the LT position. He hasn't shown that he can be a complete LT yet (his run blocking is for caca). Given that, I can see the Giants going for an athletic speciman project (hence Silatolu or Osemele). I think Jonathan Martin, Mike Adams and Zebrie Sanders are highly rated traps in this draft.</P>

Honestly I know nothing about Jonathan Martin except what I hear on TV. So you could very well be right about him. I just think we have a LT problem. Can Beatty pick up his game and also demonstrate that he can stay on the field? I hope so. I'll be honest with you, I love the Huskies but UConn guys have tended to dissapoint in the NFL.</P>

And Adams will probably drop far in this draft. If he's there in the third, maybe he's a good pick. And as far as I know the FO likes our developing O lineman and Brewer for instance may be a possibility at RT. Not sure. i just know our running game was bad last year and right now it looks worse this season. RB's are one of the few positions that can contribute right away.</P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:16 PM

</P>

Thats why I'm hoping he goes with Wilson or Doug Martin. He has shown a willingness to go with need. He went KP in 08 and Nicks in 09. The last two drafts however have been BPA. Only because our targeted guys were gone. (at least in '10 with Mclain)</P>

Yep yep. Although I don't think JPP was BPA (Iupati was concensus BPA at the time of our pick AND a need). JPP was more potential then anything else. But boy they got that one right.</P>

I heard Tenn. was taking him if we didn't.I would consider him BPA because he certainly wasn't a position of need at the time.</P>

tdawg1413
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
1. Doug Martin
2. Fleener
3. Hill
4. Randle
5. Still

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I still dont understand the HB love. Doug Martin is not that much better a player than a guy like Cyrus Gray, or Edwin Baker, guys who are 3rd or 4th round picks.

If you are drafting in the first you want to get a rare player, a guy who isnt only slightly better than other players at his position in later rounds.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
I still dont understand the HB love. Doug Martin is not that much better a player than a guy like Cyrus Gray, or Edwin Baker, guys who are 3rd or 4th round picks. If you are drafting in the first you want to get a rare player, a guy who isnt only slightly better than other players at his position in later rounds.</P>

How much better is Fleener than Dwayne Allen?</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:39 PM
How much better is Fleener than Dwayne Allen?</P>

Well I expect Allen to be drafted not long after Fleener, maybe 15 picks later or so. If Dwayne Allen was a 5th round prospect, and him and Fleener were about the same talent wise (i dont think they are) then I would be arguing for Allen in later rounds.

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I still dont understand the HB love. Doug Martin is not that much better a player than a guy like Cyrus Gray, or Edwin Baker, guys who are 3rd or 4th round picks.

If you are drafting in the first you want to get a rare player, a guy who isnt only slightly better than other players at his position in later rounds.

So untrue.

Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson.

Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice).

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
So untrue.

Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson.

Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice).

I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better.

Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:49 PM
So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice). I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano</P>

Thats really hard to tell. Ray Rice went in the second and I actually thought going into his last season at Rutgers he would come out as the #1 pick in the draft.</P>

Decent backs are very common and therefore not especially valuable. Great backs are huge on an NFL team. If a GM thinks a guy can be great, they should take him early if they have to.</P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
So untrue.

I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better.

Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano

My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.

The trick is who will emerge in the NFL ... I could certainly be wrong (and admittedly am the worst judge of college talent translating to the pro level).

But what I see when I look at Doug Martin is MJD or Ray Rice (and Doug Martin looks a ton more impressive then Ray Rice did in college (Rutgers fan here)).

I like small thick backs (heh) who have great balance and low centers of gravity. They seem to do well in the NFL.

But I would be ok with Turbin in the 3rd as well and I think a power rusher would compliment AB better in fact.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice). I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. The trick is who will emerge in the NFL ... I could certainly be wrong (and admittedly am the worst judge of college talent translating to the pro level). But what I see when I look at Doug Martin is MJD or Ray Rice (and Doug Martin looks a ton more impressive then Ray Rice did in college (Rutgers fan here)). I like small thick backs (heh) who have great balance and low centers of gravity. They seem to do well in the NFL. But I would be ok with Turbin in the 3rd as well and I think he would compliment AB better in fact.</P>

I thought Ray Rice was by far the best pro prospect at RB in years. He was absolutely great at Rutgers.</P>

I'm not patting myself on the back because I thought Glen Foley was the next Dan Marino.</P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice). I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano</P>

Thats really hard to tell.* Ray Rice went in the second and I actually thought going into his last season at Rutgers he would come out as the #1 pick in the draft.*</P>

Decent backs are very common and therefore not especially valuable.* Great backs are huge on an NFL team.* If a GM thinks a guy can be great, they should take him early if they have to.</P>

Exactly ... if you think you have a back who could explode on the scene, you grab him.

I think Doug Martin could be that guy.

Of course having said that, I just ruined his NFL career.

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:56 PM
So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice). I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. The trick is who will emerge in the NFL ... I could certainly be wrong (and admittedly am the worst judge of college talent translating to the pro level). But what I see when I look at Doug Martin is MJD or Ray Rice (and Doug Martin looks a ton more impressive then Ray Rice did in college (Rutgers fan here)). I like small thick backs (heh) who have great balance and low centers of gravity. They seem to do well in the NFL. But I would be ok with Turbin in the 3rd as well and I think he would compliment AB better in fact.</P>

I thought Ray Rice was by far the best pro prospect at RB in years.* He was absolutely great at Rutgers.</P>

I'm not patting myself on the back because I thought Glen Foley was the next Dan Marino.</P>

I think if RR performed half as well at Rutgers as he has on the Ravens, Rutgers would have only lost a national championship bid by being screwed by the BCS.

RR is a great example of a RB translating to the NFL and how poor my judgment is on that lol.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:58 PM
My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.

Had nothing to do with Vacchiano.

I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me.

How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year.

All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. Had nothing to do with Vacchiano. I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me. How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year. All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.</P>

But I bet there are plenty of teams who passed on them and wish they hadn't.</P>

G-Men Surg.
04-25-2012, 02:05 PM

*</P>
It's precisely the way I see it and I think you cover all the bases. That been said if for any reason someone ( and there's a lot of thread around about the subject ) the Giants like slides all bets are off.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 02:07 PM
But I bet there are plenty of teams who passed on them and wish they hadn't.</P>

You cant draft in hindsight. Im sure plenty of teams would have loved to draft Victor Cruz in the 7th round, does that mean the next 7th round WR they draft will be as good as Cruz? Obviously not.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:10 PM

You cant draft in hindsight. Im sure plenty of teams would have loved to draft Victor Cruz in the 7th round, does that mean the next 7th round WR they draft will be as good as Cruz? Obviously not.</P>

My point is that if you think a guy can be special you can't say "we can get someone almost as good in later rounds". If they think David Wilson or Doug Martin are special, they can't go throught that rationalization. they have to pull the trigger at 32.</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 02:12 PM
If they think David Wilson or Doug Martin are special, they can't go throught that rationalization.* they have to pull the trigger at 32.</P>

I agree completely. I just dont see Wilson or Martin as close to being "special". I see them as slightly better than 3rd or 4th round guys

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 02:15 PM

Had nothing to do with Vacchiano.

I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me.

How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year.

All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.

I absolutely agree. And I think the trend is starting to catch up to the draft projections (that and this year isn't deep in RBs).

I do think Martin is one of those rare talents, but as I said, that might just be a case of me watching him and seeing something that doesn't materialize at the NFL level.

I could also see David Wilson being that guy in exactly the same mold ... the difference between him and Martin is that Martin has a little better weight on him (and seems to be a just a tad faster at the second level).

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:17 PM
If they think David Wilson or Doug Martin are special, they can't go throught that rationalization. they have to pull the trigger at 32.

</P>

I agree completely. I just dont see Wilson or Martin as close to being "special". I see them as slightly better than 3rd or 4th round guys</P>

Duly noted. But the notion (and I'm not saying you share it) that RB's are a dime a dozen is completely wrong in my view. Aging RB's...maybe. But in the draft, they are one of the few positions that can step in and contribute immediately.</P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:18 PM
My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. Had nothing to do with Vacchiano. I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me. How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year. All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks. I absolutely agree. And I think the trend is starting to catch up to the draft projections (that and this year isn't deep in RBs). I do think Martin is one of those rare talents, but as I said, that might just be a case of me watching him and seeing something that doesn't materialize at the NFL level. I could also see David Wilson being that guy in exactly the same mold ... the difference between him and Martin is that Martin has a little better weight on him (and seems to be a just a tad faster at the second level).</P>

I see Wilson as a potential Tiki type player. And if thats true he is definately worth a pick at 32.</P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 02:25 PM
My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. Had nothing to do with Vacchiano. I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me. How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year. All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks. I absolutely agree. And I think the trend is starting to catch up to the draft projections (that and this year isn't deep in RBs). I do think Martin is one of those rare talents, but as I said, that might just be a case of me watching him and seeing something that doesn't materialize at the NFL level. I could also see David Wilson being that guy in exactly the same mold ... the difference between him and Martin is that Martin has a little better weight on him (and seems to be a just a tad faster at the second level).</P>

I see Wilson as a potential Tiki type player.* And if thats true he is definately worth a pick at 32.</P>

Not sure Wilson has the same receiving savvy nor football acumen Tiki had but I don't think Tiki had near the level of balance that Wilson demonstrates.

One of the reasons I like Martin over Wilson is that Martin appears to be a more complete back. He can catch out of backfield (as can Wilson but doesn't seem be as natural at it) and pick up the blitz (some thing I haven't seen from Wilson at all). The latter can certainly be coached up though.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:29 PM

I see Wilson as a potential Tiki type player. And if thats true he is definately worth a pick at 32.</P>

Not sure Wilson has the same receiving savvy nor football acumen Tiki had but I don't think Tiki had near the level of balance that Wilson demonstrates. One of the reasons I like Martin over Wilson is that Martin appears to be a more complete back. He can catch out of backfield (as can Wilson but doesn't seem be as natural at it) and pick up the blitz (some thing I haven't seen from Wilson at all). The latter can certainly be coached up though.</P>

As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen like some posters seem to think. They can have a great impact on your team.</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM
As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen

sure they are, I would argue you can find DJ Ware level talent anywhere you look

Special backs arent a dime a dozen however.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:34 PM
As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen sure they are, I would argue you can find DJ Ware level talent anywhere you look Special backs arent a dime a dozen however.</P>

Thats what I mean and thats true of every position.</P>

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 02:36 PM
As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen

sure they are, I would argue you can find DJ Ware level talent anywhere you look

Special backs arent a dime a dozen however.

I believe that was what Morehead was saying.

Every average Joe at any position is a dime a dozen.

BTW what do you guys think of Isaiah Pead? This is another back I really liked (more so then Chris Polk or Chris Rainey or most of the other second tier RBs in this draft).

GGTM_1977
04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Don't understand the obsession with Fleener or HIghtower. Fleener is more of a receiving TE and not so much a blocking one, if we draft him we may as well just list him as a WR if thats what he comes here for. I don't like the idea of a LB with the 1st unless its Kuechly...the other prospects have a 3-4 defense feel to them. If we go RB I won't be disappointed......if we go Dline I will be happy. I also am one that would love a WR like Hill or Randle at this pick, since Eli can always use more weapons.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 03:02 PM
. Fleener is more of a receiving TE and not so much a blocking one, if we draft him we may as well just list him as a WR if thats what he comes here for.

Because players develop in the NFL, nobody is a finished product. A lot of us look at Fleener as a guy with the frame to be around 6'6 260 or so pounds, plenty of size to be an inline TE, and the giants have Pope who has made quite a few TEs who couldnt block into very good blockers (shockey, Boss)

Shockeyitus
04-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Don't understand the obsession with Fleener or HIghtower. Fleener is more of a receiving TE and not so much a blocking one, if we draft him we may as well just list him as a WR if thats what he comes here for. I don't like the idea of a LB with the 1st unless its Kuechly...the other prospects have a 3-4 defense feel to them. If we go RB I won't be disappointed......if we go Dline I will be happy. I also am one that would love a WR like Hill or Randle at this pick, since Eli can always use more weapons.

This is becoming a pass happy league and running backs are now splitting carries more often. Why waste a first round pick on a guy that is going to split carries? Fleener is a legit receiving threat and does an above average job blocking. He will be a perfect fit for the Giants offense.

Hightower is a guy I really like and his football IQ is extremely high. I have no doubts that he could convert to a 4-3 defense and become a pro bowler. Kuechly is obviously the prize of the LB's, but he very well may be gone.

I dont like the Ruben Randle pick at #32. Thats a reach.

RagTime Blue
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
1 - Andrew Luck
2 - Trent Richardson
3 - Matt Kalil
4 - Morris Claiborne
5 - Justin Blackmon

Odds of any of these guys being there at 32 is 1000-1. But my point is that in all likelihood, somebody unforseen will drop to 32.

Giants top-5 likely picks?? Never!!
Giants top-5 targets. . .I'd say so.

nycsportzfan
04-25-2012, 05:08 PM

</P>

</P>

yup, and i was adding, that Martin actually is a possible RT in the pros, at least thats what some think.. And obviously, we could use competiton for the starting RT spot now, and also depth at T in general, which Martin could give us at both T spots... I do like the signing of Locklear, but that is not anything longterm.. Another words, with Martin, your not only getting great value, u can certainly justify the need as well, which is best of both worlds... </P>

I actually think TE could easily start , and is more of a need then u think.. Contrary to current belief, ELI likes his TE's, and i beleive if he had a really talented one, the TE would be even more of a factor.. Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard, Beckum, are just not bigtime TE's, but solid ones, and i believe that a Talented TE would put up even more numbers then them, just like Shockey did when he was here... Shockey had 60plus catches and 6plus TDs in each of ELI's first 3yrs in the league and was well on his way during the 07 season before injury.. We just haven't had a talented TE, but averege ones, that kinda max out on there ability around 30-45 catches... FLeener or Dwayne Allen would be more productive then Ballard and Boss were for us, assuming they panned out as prospects..</P>

Kase-1
04-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Top 5 1st Round Targets

Cordy Glenn, OL
Devon Still, DT
Mark Barron, Safety
Whitney Mercilus, DE
Luke Kuechly, MLB

</p>

OK Kase, you just suggested a LT is a bad choice because we have a guy (who has started 10 games in his entire career with mixed results at best) at LT.</p>

Well we have two solid DT's, we have two outstanding safeties, we have 3 outstanding DE's and Kuechly will be gone probably in the top 10.</p>

You're a lovely chap but your being inconsistent.</p>
Yes we could use some depth behind Will Beatty but its not worth a 1st round pick. If Martin could play either tackle spot like Adams then I wouldnt mind it at all, but every 'expert' out there projects him as an LT and at this point in time we need an RT. I wouldnt mind Martin in the 2nd if we could mold him into an RT, but he'll probably get snatched up to be someones LT

We have 2 solid DTs and zero depth behind them, and we love to rotate guys on our DL to keep fresh legs in there. Right now in addition to Canty and LJ, we have a guy who hasnt played in a game since 09 and a practice squad player. That along with the fact that Devon Still plays like a beast seems like a reasonable option for a 1st, not my fav option but a viable one none the less

We have 2 outstanding safety's but no depth behind them either, well other than Sash who played mostly special teams. Barron is by far the best safety in this draft and KP is a FA next season (i believe)

3 outstanding DE's?? You mean 1 outstanding DE, 1 DE who is never happy, has 1 season left on his deal, and might as well have 1 foot out the door, and 1 DE who has been out with injury just about every other season or playing through an injury

NY4U2
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
1 - Andrew Luck
2 - Trent Richardson
3 - Matt Kalil
4 - Morris Claiborne
5 - Justin Blackmon

Odds of any of these guys being there at 32 is 1000-1. But my point is that in all likelihood, somebody unforseen will drop to 32.

Giants top-5 likely picks?? Never!!
Giants top-5 targets. . .I'd say so.

Yeah anything can happen when you factor in the "dumpicslide"

G-Men Surg.
04-26-2012, 01:10 PM

</P>

Zeitler reminds me a lot of Snee and Seubert... Just a tough SOB that likes toget nasty and maul someone. I don't hate the pick.
Yep, we are running empty in the nasty indicator on the O line, he could be a great value need pick .

nycsportzfan
04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Top 5 1st Round Targets

Cordy Glenn, OL
Devon Still, DT
Mark Barron, Safety
Whitney Mercilus, DE
Luke Kuechly, MLB

</P>

OK Kase, you just suggested a LT is a bad choice because we have a guy (who has started 10 games in his entire career with mixed results at best) at LT.</P>

Well we have two solid DT's, we have two outstanding safeties, we have 3 outstanding DE's and Kuechly will be gone probably in the top 10.</P>

You're a lovely chap but your being inconsistent.</P>
Yes we could use some depth behind Will Beatty but its not worth a 1st round pick. If Martin could play either tackle spot like Adams then I wouldnt mind it at all, but every 'expert' out there projects him as an LT and at this point in time we need an RT. I wouldnt mind Martin in the 2nd if we could mold him into an RT, but he'll probably get snatched up to be someones LT

We have 2 solid DTs and zero depth behind them, and we love to rotate guys on our DL to keep fresh legs in there. Right now in addition to Canty and LJ, we have a guy who hasnt played in a game since 09 and a practice squad player. That along with the fact that Devon Still plays like a beast seems like a reasonable option for a 1st, not my fav option but a viable one none the less

We have 2 outstanding safety's but no depth behind them either, well other than Sash who played mostly special teams. Barron is by far the best safety in this draft and KP is a FA next season (i believe)

3 outstanding DE's?? You mean 1 outstanding DE, 1 DE who is never happy, has 1 season left on his deal, and might as well have 1 foot out the door, and 1 DE who has been out with injury just about every other season or playing through an injury

Theres plenty of people who think Martin could hold down RT while waiting for LT, or sticking at RT possibly..

jomo
04-26-2012, 06:40 PM

</P>

Yep, we are running empty in the nasty indicator on the O line, he could be a great value need pick .Beatty wouldn't know nasty if it hit him in the face. I agree. This would be a very nice add.

Kase-1
04-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Top 5 1st Round Targets

Cordy Glenn, OL
Devon Still, DT
Mark Barron, Safety
Whitney Mercilus, DE
Luke Kuechly, MLB

</p>

OK Kase, you just suggested a LT is a bad choice because we have a guy (who has started 10 games in his entire career with mixed results at best) at LT.</p>

Well we have two solid DT's, we have two outstanding safeties, we have 3 outstanding DE's and Kuechly will be gone probably in the top 10.</p>

You're a lovely chap but your being inconsistent.</p>

Theres plenty of people who think Martin could hold down RT while waiting for LT, or sticking at RT possibly..I guess we've been reading different reports. Martin seems like Will Beattty 2.0

Shockeyitus
04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
I was never sold on Martin, DeCastro was so goo that it protected Martins game...

I also, started this thread and "banked" on five players to be on our roster tonight...BAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DragonSoul
04-28-2012, 03:55 AM
give you credit for putting it out there.

G-Men Surg.
04-28-2012, 04:08 AM

</P>

Yep, we are running empty in the nasty indicator on the O line, he could be a great value need pick .Beatty wouldn't know nasty if it hit him in the face. I agree. This would be a very nice add.
I miss Rich Seubert, Ohara, Rugamer and Mac . They played with a nasty mean steak . Add those to Snee and they were quite a bunch .