PDA

View Full Version : I say Doug Martin in the 1st Round

JJC7301
04-24-2012, 04:36 PM
For a while I've been wanting either a D-lineman or player in the Secondary in the 1st (as long as they were BPA), but now I'm REALLY hoping that Doug Martin (RB - Boise) will be available for us with the 32nd pick.

The more I read about him, the more impressed I am. Martin can run, catch, is not easy to bring down, loves pass-blocking, and apparently is the ultimate team guy and a leader:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70789&draftyear=2012&genpos=RB

Pretty much all of the mocks I've seen have him falling to the 2nd round, but I'm really hoping that we take this guy. I think that he will be BPA by the 32nd pick.

Plus, we already lost so much depth on offense with MM and Jacobs leaving, and Ballard and Beckum injured. I'm really hoping that we take Martin.

egyptian420
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
+1....I love his speed and his cutting...I know he hasn't faced the toughest competition but I think him and Bradshaw splitting carries could be awesome for our offense

I'd love if we got him but I feel like that's a 20% possibility...my gut feeling says we go OL

Vtgmenfan89
04-24-2012, 07:43 PM
I would be fine with it. We could probably even trade down a few spots if there was a team looking to go up and still get him in the early 2nd while picking up an extra pick or two. I'm very high on him as well, my favorite back after Richardson in this draft. Personally I don't think Wilson is a great idea, fumblitis, terrible blocker, not very physical and he doesn't have the vision Martin has.

dinz
04-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Any info on Rb Polk from Washington?

Tommy_Ribs
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Doug Martin would be a terrific pick. This is a pretty good draft for first round talent.

Martyr
04-24-2012, 08:21 PM
I am also on the Doug Martin wagon

TheEnigma
04-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Doug Martin - Tiki Barber without all of the blonde interns and Eli hate

Redeyejedi
04-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Id be shocked if it isnt a Defensive Lineman.

NY_Eli
04-24-2012, 08:33 PM
I'd love the pick, but wouldn't be shocked or upset if they didn't grab him. I also think there's a decent chance he goes before 32.

chasjay
04-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Not my first or second choice, but I'd be okay with Martin. What a team asks a running back to do in the game plan has a lot to do with what the RB has shown that he is able do. I think Martin has shown a little something.

giantsfan420
04-24-2012, 08:51 PM
it'd be kinda stupid to draft a rb in rd 1 tho unless there was only one or two of the top rb prospects left...we could wait until round 2 and see which of the top prospects at rb are still there

quan the don
04-24-2012, 09:20 PM
it'd be kinda stupid to draft a rb in rd 1 tho unless there was only one or two of the top rb prospects left...we could wait until round 2 and see which of the top prospects at rb are still there
Agree, I don't want any rb in the first unless his name is Trent Richardson.

NorwoodBlue
04-24-2012, 09:50 PM
How many successful Giants running backs have been drafted in the first round? Rodney Hampton is the only recent one that comes to mind. Need I bring up the names Tyrone Wheatley, or even worse, Rocky Thompson? I'd be freaking shocked if we saw a running back before round 3.

JJC7301
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Problem is that the # 32 pretty much is in the 2nd round and I don't think that Martin will fall to us at the end of the 2nd.

I don't know college players like other board members, so I'm just going off of what I've read about him.

He sounds REALLY solid all the way around AND we've lost a lot of depth on the O. I originally wanted D, but the more I read about Martin the more I think that he sounds like he is 1st round talent.

Kase-1
04-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Agree, I don't want any rb in the first unless his name is Trent Richardson.I think T-Rich is gonna be the only RB drafted in the 1st

.... Hate away, LOL

JJC7301
04-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Just one opinion but Mike Mayock has Martin listed as the 17th best player in the draft (see CGY Giant's post). That puts him ahead of Upshaw, Harrison Smith, Couples, Worthy, and Glenn. That's impressive.

The more I read about Martin, the more I like him.

alau53
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
id like the gmen to squeeze a draft pick from the colts #33 who want fleener to team with his college QB luck..the OL cant block for the running game so a rb would be a waste like a wr is a waste for the jets..build up the DL early ,sprinkle in a te, wr, & rb & get safety help too

Tommy_Ribs
04-25-2012, 12:35 PM
How many successful Giants running backs have been drafted in the first round? Rodney Hampton is the only recent one that comes to mind. Need I bring up the names Tyrone Wheatley, or even worse, Rocky Thompson? I'd be freaking shocked if we saw a running back before round 3.

Like every other position it is a mixed bag. The GIANTS will probably go BPA. We need RBs, and Martin seems like a pretty good prospect.

I would prefer a DE or a CB, but if Martin is BPA, then I have no issue grabbing him. Put as many weapons around Eli as you can and let this offense go.

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:50 PM

+1

Throw me on the Doug Martin bandwagon.

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Agree, I don't want any rb in the first unless his name is Trent Richardson.I think T-Rich is gonna be the only RB drafted in the 1st

.... Hate away, LOL

I totally agree. [b]

egyptian420
04-25-2012, 05:26 PM
+1....funny because I imagined him in a Big Blue uniform and I couldn't help but be reminded of Tiki....such a similar running style

JJC7301
04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
How many successful Giants running backs have been drafted in the first round?* Rodney Hampton is the only recent one that comes to mind.* Need I bring up the names Tyrone Wheatley, or even worse, Rocky Thompson?* I'd be freaking shocked if we saw a running back before round 3.

Like every other position it is a mixed bag.* The GIANTS will probably go BPA.* We need RBs, and Martin seems like a pretty good prospect.

I would prefer a DE or a CB, but if Martin is BPA, then I have no issue grabbing him.* Put as many weapons around Eli as you can and let this offense go.

From what I've been reading about him, he sounds like the BPA by # 32 -- he sounds absolutely solid all the way around and a solid leader/person to boot.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 10:37 PM
From what I've been reading about him, he sounds like the BPA by # 32

unless you have him rated as a top 10 pick, how can you tell he will be the BPA there at 32?

JJC7301
04-25-2012, 10:42 PM
From what I've been reading about him, he sounds like the BPA by # 32

unless you have him rated as a top 10 pick, how can you tell he will be the BPA there at 32?
I have a feeling that he'll be picked before the 32nd. I haven't seen many, or any, mocks with him going in the 1st, but I think that he'll be gone. I think that at least one other RB besides Richardson will go in the 1st round and it will be Martin.

In terms of his value at the 32nd pick, I'm just going off of what I've read about all of the top 50 picks or so and I think that Martin really sounds like a very solid all-around player worthy of a # 1.

egyptian420
04-26-2012, 02:10 AM
He is worth the #32 pick imo....there's always a risk for every player coming out of college but I think based on what he's done, he deserves it in my eyes

Rat_bastich
04-26-2012, 05:56 AM
How many successful Giants running backs have been drafted in the first round?* Rodney Hampton is the only recent one that comes to mind.* Need I bring up the names Tyrone Wheatley, or even worse, Rocky Thompson?* I'd be freaking shocked if we saw a running back before round 3.

To be fair to Wheatley, when he was drafted Dan Reeves had been pushing George Young to draft Rashaan Salaam. Not happy with the selection and a supposed weight issue Wheatley entered Reeves' dog house and never made it out. He never got a shot under Reeves.

I think the weight issue thing was kind of like how Mike Shanahan used the whole cardiovascular endurance thing to keep Albert Haynesworth from playing.

nycsportzfan
04-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Could u imagine this team with a Ray Rice/MJD type back to go with Ahmad Bradshaw? Now, of course its possible that Martin busts, but that is the type of back he resembles, and i imagine itd be hard to let that possiblity pass u by, if he is in fact on the board...</P>