PDA

View Full Version : No shot for Bennet?

Idkaname
04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capable

G-Man67
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
i think if we just had acquired him there would be more of a buzz</P>

but you know, it's a short attn span world and that deal went down a month+ ago</P>

personally, altho i know little about Bennett, i'm anxious to see him in Blue ... he certainly looks the part</P>

don't worry, Jerry's got in all covered</P>

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I think Bennet is suspect in his wirk ethic and his catching ability. He's more athletic than Ballard. Even from Ballard's small body of work I'd say he has softer hands and better blocking than Bennett.</P>

I'm not big on Fleener. I want 2 dimensional TE- a great run blocker with soft hands.I'm looking for a poor man's Bavaro clone not a Jimmy Graham clone.I think we can get that in the lower rounds.</P>

giantsfan420
04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
i expect bennett to make a ton of plays for us, but remember, he and ballard are only signed to 1 yr contracts. and ballard, who already was slow, is coming off an injury where a lot of players lose a step...if ballard loses a step i just cant see how he'd be effective as a starter at all...

but fleener would be the backup to bennett with pascoe as the 3rd string/fb back up.

i'd rather get a wr but if fleener is there i'm all for it.

Dirt66
04-25-2012, 11:55 AM
I'll take MB over JB any day of the week. I think the guy is going to break out with Eli as his QB. Just think of the plays that JB made and his lack of athletic ability. Big year for MB!!

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capable

Bennet has to prove he's anything more than a big body.

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 12:37 PM
I'll take MB over JB any day of the week. I think the guy is going to break out with Eli as his QB. Just think of the plays that JB made and his lack of athletic ability. Big year for MB!!</P>

If he breaks out it's not b/c Eli was his QB its b/c he would be the No. 1 TE for the Giants. Witten, Bryant, and Miles don't seem to have a problem making playswith Romo at QB. </P>

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
i literally don't give a flying fadoo about his receiving ability, or lack thereof.</P>

we haven't had a really good blocking TE since Shockey left. Boss had to work at becoming a better blocker, but was never great, both Jake and Bear have the size but they struggled significantly in blocking last year.</P>

The one thing people haven't questioned about Bennett is his blocking ability.</P>

If that's all he brings to this team, it'll be a major improvement over what we've had for some time.</P>

nygsb42champs
04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I think the fact that it only a 1 year deal has people looking to the future.

BigBlue1971
04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
I think the fact that it only a 1 year deal has people looking to the future.</P>

</P>

Reeese is giving him a chance to show his potential with the 1 year contract!</P>

if he proves to be a nice fit for the G-Men he'll get his money next year!</P>

hungrrrry
04-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capableNot many Giants fans are upset about Bennett being signed here. I think everyone believes he has great potential to thrive here! Myself, I never wanted Fleener...no TE's fit for a 1st round pick this year in my book! Lately Fleener has been getting bad press so I think that signals a drop into the late second or even further back due to his poor blocking ability.

sg92
04-25-2012, 02:43 PM
MB was a critical signing, as without him the hole in that position would be massive.

That said, I'm surprised at the negativity on this thread regarding Fleener. I just heard a radio interview with the host of ESPN Sports Science -- they have tested most of the likely 1st rounders, and he said Fleener is one of the best TE's they've ever seen. Hugely strong (1000 pounds of downward vertical forced during a tug of rope drill, whatever that means), faster and higher leap than Gronk. On top of that, a Stanford-quality brain is presumably a big plus.

Since MB is only on a 1 year contract, a rook with big upside potential like this seems like a good pick to me (though I'd prefer if the BPA were an offensive lineman).....

hungrrrry
04-25-2012, 02:53 PM
MB was a critical signing, as without him the hole in that position would be massive.

That said, I'm surprised at the negativity on this thread regarding Fleener. I just heard a radio interview with the host of ESPN Sports Science -- they have tested most of the likely 1st rounders, and he said Fleener is one of the best TE's they've ever seen. Hugely strong (1000 pounds of downward vertical forced during a tug of rope drill, whatever that means), faster and higher leap than Gronk. On top of that, a Stanford-quality brain is presumably a big plus.

Since MB is only on a 1 year contract, a rook with big upside potential like this seems like a good pick to me (though I'd prefer if the BPA were an offensive lineman).....Already have a brain

JPP
04-25-2012, 03:48 PM
i literally don't give a flying fadoo about his receiving ability, or lack thereof.</P>

we haven't had a really good blocking TE since Shockey left.* Boss had to work at becoming a better blocker, but was never great, both Jake and Bear have the size but they struggled significantly in blocking last year.</P>

The one thing people haven't questioned about Bennett is his blocking ability.</P>

If that's all he brings to this team, it'll be a major improvement over what we've had for some time.</P>

Yeah and Ballard can continue to out-slow people down the field. :D

BlueSanta
04-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Even with Bennet we still need TEs. People seem to forget the Pascoe was amoung the league leaders in holding penalties last year and on a per snap basis, I think he did lead the league. Not to mention we have not resigned him yet.

So we still have a hole at the position even with Bennett on the roster.

nygfan0816
04-25-2012, 05:24 PM
1. bennett hasnt proved much

2. its only a 1 year deal. so 1 of the following will happen:

he'll either have that breakout season people keep saying he will have and get a big contract else where. or he will be the mediocre player hes always been and there will be no reason to sign him again.

radar-ray
04-25-2012, 07:33 PM
If Bennett can't step up with Pope as his coach, he never will. However, I think he will.

JJC7301
04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm glad that we got Bennett and hope that we don't pick Fleener unless the FO truly values him as the BPA or even worth being a 1st rounder.

That being said, I really want Ballard to come back sometime this year because I don't think he's a fluke at all, but a real gem of a find.

I think MB will fit in fine, but Ballard was FANTASTIC last year and too good to be a 1-year-wonder.

gmen0820
04-25-2012, 11:19 PM
People are losing sight of how much potential he has as an inline TE. He is the best TE coach, who will keep his *** lit under fire.

Look at Jake Ballard. With Eli, and Pope, Ballard (34 catches his whole college career) had 38 catches for 600 yards last year. Bennett is already an absolutely devastating blocker, so he doesn't even need to be coached up to get him up to par on that, all his time can be devoted in developing the nuances to become a threat in the pass game. Pope, and Eli will make this kid something special.

When is the last time Pope had a top 2 round TE talent to work with? Shockey.

giantsfan420
04-25-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm glad that we got Bennett and hope that we don't pick Fleener unless the FO truly values him as the BPA or even worth being a 1st rounder.

That being said, I really want Ballard to come back sometime this year because I don't think he's a fluke at all, but a real gem of a find.

I think MB will fit in fine, but Ballard was FANTASTIC last year and too good to be a 1-year-wonder.

if ballard loses a step which is almost guaranteed with his surgery, he isn't going to be effective at all...at least imo...he has to recover 100%...he is already real slow, but can overcome it with quick bursts and good route running, he loses a step, those two positives wont matter...

BillTheGreek
04-26-2012, 03:17 AM
He's Big 6'6" he can run and Block we do need him in the red zone.........but can he catch ? We will soon see......... any way Good Luck to him !

BillTheGreek
06-12-2012, 11:52 PM
GOOD LUCK MB

BeatYale
06-13-2012, 01:09 AM
He definitely has talent and he's a better athlete than Ballard. I can't imagine him not producing well when guys like Nicks and Cruz will be sharing the field with him. They demand double coverage.

I guess it comes down to how well he develops chemistry with Eli. The mental aspect of the game is what Cowboys fans say he struggled with.

Rat_bastich
06-13-2012, 02:10 AM
Resurrection! Arise chicken, arise!

MattMeyerBud
06-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capable</P>

</P>

i think he'll have slightly better numbers in yards, receptions, and tds</P>

</P>

but i think he'll also be somebody thats focused on oppose to Ballard who was kind of just left out there</P>

nycisgreat
06-13-2012, 04:08 PM
I think Bennet is suspect in his wirk ethic and his catching ability. He's more athletic than Ballard. Even from Ballard's small body of work I'd say he has softer hands and better blocking than Bennett.</p>

I'm not big on Fleener. I want 2 dimensional TE- a great run blocker with soft hands.I'm looking for a poor man's Bavaro clone not a Jimmy Graham clone.I think we can get that in the lower rounds.</p>

I agree, but I think if he has his mind right. He could make a huge impact on this team. The guy was playing behind one of the best TEs in the game (Witten), which took much exposure or playing time away from him. I really do think the coaching staff on this team could change this guy around in a similar way they did Canty. Me personally, I didn't think much of Canty when he part of the Cowboys, but he was played well for the Giants when he is healthy. I hope we have the same fortune with Bennett.

slipknottin
06-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Even from Ballard's small body of work I'd say he has softer hands and better blocking than Bennett.

Lol what?

Bennett was THE BEST blocking TE in the entire NFL last season. Ballard was about average.

I watched him repeatedly and consistently block Cliff Avril on his own last season, both in the run and pass game.

Joe Morrison
06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Even from Ballard's small body of work I'd say he has softer hands and better blocking than Bennett. Lol what? Bennett was THE BEST blocking TE in the entire NFL last season. Ballard was about average. I watched him repeatedly and consistently block Cliff Avril on his own last season, both in the run and pass game.</P>

The New York Giants (http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?teamAbbrev=nyg) took a calculated risk of waiving the injured Ballard to make room on the roster to sign defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/playercard?playerId=3674), and it backfired when the Patriots surprisingly snatched up the tight end off the waiver wire on Tuesday.
</P>

How about his chances now!</P>

jomo
06-13-2012, 07:13 PM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capableI hope he delivers but I'm not a fan of bringing in guys with a reputation for being lazy and disinterested who come to camp 15 or 20 pounds overweight. Comparisons to Ballard are non-starters. He isn't playing this year and may never play again. We just don't know yet/

slipknottin
06-13-2012, 07:17 PM
lazy and disinterested who come to camp 15 or 20 pounds overweight./

Not this again. First all the stuff about lazy and disinterested is completely unsupported. That stuff has not come from the cowboys org, or from his ex-teammates or ex-coaches. That comes from fans, who by and large, are completely clueless when it comes to what goes on in practice and meetings. Frankly, you dont become the best blocking TE in the league by being lazy and disinterested.

As for the overweight, he isnt.. At 290 or so pounds, daily fluctuations of 7-10 pounds are to be expected. He is currently at 13% body fat, and during the constant running and cardio of training camp, wants to get it down to 9%. He is likely in the best physical shape he has ever been in.

buddy33
06-13-2012, 07:46 PM
He said he was hitting the gym hard. He also said that he was going to stop with the lifting and start back with Yoga and Pilates. That alone will make him melt off 10 pounds.

Joe Morrison
06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capableI hope he delivers but I'm not a fan of bringing in guys with a reputation for being lazy and disinterested who come to camp 15 or 20 pounds overweight. Comparisons to Ballard are non-starters. He isn't playing this year and may never play again. We just don't know yet/</P>

Did hear a one on one with him and he sounds pretty motivated, said the extra weight was from working out, hope he works out, and really, Ballard might not ever play.</P>

Steve Smith barely got on the field last year, see if he comes back up to speed with the Rams this year, than maybe we'll get a feel for Ballards future.</P>

Not to start a S Storm but do you really think Bennet can't beat Beckum for the starting job?</P>

T-Murda84
06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Am I the only that thinks MB will produce as good if not better then ballard? I think getting him was a steal but no one is talking about him. "we need to draft fleener" Is all I see when I think we have someone as capableI hope he delivers but I'm not a fan of bringing in guys with a reputation for being lazy and disinterested who come to camp 15 or 20 pounds overweight. Comparisons to Ballard are non-starters. He isn't playing this year and may never play again. We just don't know yet/</P>

Did hear a one on one with him and he sounds pretty motivated, said the extra weight was from working out, hope he works out, and really, Ballard might not ever play.</P>

Steve Smith barely got on the field last year, see if he comes back up to speed with the Rams this year, than maybe we'll get a feel for Ballards future.</P>

Not to start a S Storm but do you really think Bennet can't beat Beckum for the starting job?</P>

Yea sounding motivated is a good start but he needs to show more than that. Bennett hasnt done anything his whole career...and he better make sure he is on the same page as Eli. Lets hope he can run the option routes and read the defense like Eli....I remember the Cowboys HardKnocks on TV and he looked confused and unmotivated.

slipknottin
06-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Bennett hasnt done anything his whole career....

apart from being the best blocking TE in the league the past two seasons, you mean.

Because that is nothing.

Idkaname
11-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Yeah this is old, haven't logged in here for a while but damn I called that.