PDA

View Full Version : RB Steven Jackson of the Rams - yes I am being "that guy" today

hungrrrry
04-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Looks like he is not happy with his contract situation and could be traded or released. Not trying to create speculation nor rumors here but:

If we could acquire him as a reasonable cost to us, how do you like his potential here in NY.

I think Jackson is what I was hoping Jacobs to become. Tough, good hands and of course big! Jacobs was only one of those. Toughness is what you put up with and how you perform under that presure...not being a wiseass and dancing on Dallas' star.

For the right cost (contract/pick) to us, I would like to see Jackson come here and then drafting BPA is all we really need to do.

Thoughts?

G-Man67
04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
while he is a very solid back and def. in that Giants mold of RB ... he's just too expensive for us</P>

i wouldnt claim to know our true cap situation and this is probably not the reality, but it would almost seem like you would have to give up a 2nd and release Rolle and Canty to get a deal done</P>

and the shelf life on RBs in the NFL is like 5 years and he has taken a beating and he has had some injury issues recently</P>

i think we stick to our strategy of looking for some fresh legs via the draft ... coach 'em up so they don't get Eli killed or fumble the ball all over the place and then go from there</P>

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
After watching JR's pre-draft press conference I can assure you drafting the BPA is what we'll do no matter what deals we make outside of the draft. </P>

Don't get your hopes up. Jackson is going towant way too much money. </P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 10:02 AM
while he is a very solid back and def. in that Giants mold of RB ... he's just too expensive for us</P>

i wouldnt claim to know our true cap situation and this is probably not the reality, but it would almost seem like you would have to give up a 2nd and release Rolle and Canty to get a deal done</P>

and the shelf life on RBs in the NFL is like 5 years and he has taken a beating and he has had some injury issues recently</P>

i think we stick to our strategy of looking for some fresh legs via the draft ... coach 'em up so they don't get Eli killed or fumble the ball all over the place and then go from there</P>

</P>

Perfect fit footballwise but as you said, his contract demands (the reason he may be available) are the problem for us.</P>

But speaking just football, he would be a GREAT addition.</P>

michaelkhan3
04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Can you imagine the contract he is going to want it will be ridiculous

Flip Empty
04-25-2012, 10:04 AM
His contract actually isn't too bad for a player of his quality, but it's still too much for the Giants.

NorwoodBlue
04-25-2012, 10:25 AM
If I'm Steven Jackson, I'm thinking I want a shot at a title, and he ain't getting that in St. Louis before his career is done. This is a situation that the Giants could make out on. He just might be asking for less if he thinks it gives him a shot at a ring.

Flip Empty
04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
If I'm Steven Jackson, I'm thinking I want a shot at a title, and he ain't getting that in St. Louis before his career is done. This is a situation that the Giants could make out on. He just might be asking for less if he thinks it gives him a shot at a ring.

$6-8 million less, though?

barran21
04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
We don't have the cap room for him, he's owed $7mill this season...

VegasGmen
04-25-2012, 11:03 AM
As much as I love Jackson he only has 1 to 2 productive years left in him. He took a pounding in St Louis. Doug Martin will be our RB of the future.

egyptian420
04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
I'd love him on the team but like many said, way too expensive. I'd rather a young and cheap RB like Doug Martin that will last for years to come.

Kruunch
04-25-2012, 11:28 AM

</P>

Perfect fit footballwise but as you said, his contract demands (the reason he may be available) are the problem for us.</P>

But speaking just football, he would be a GREAT addition.</P>

+1

nygsb42champs
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
There is no way we could afford him.

hungrrrry
04-25-2012, 12:54 PM
There is no way we could afford him.I understand his numbers are up there, contract-wise but he is aging and has has some health concerns, though not enough to discount him entirely. The possibility that Reese can make him see the light, as someone already mentioned..."Steven, you have a chance at a ring here", that combined with convincing him of his long-term effectiveness going forward from here.

Granted, I was curious to see what others were thinking. I have always liked this guy. He has great character, heart and skillset...it would be cool though!

Rat_bastich
04-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Jackson is one of those guys you kind of feel sorry for. He has done everything the team has asked of him and has had many different coaches. He has also been on some of the most crappy teams and has taken beatings. He has always remained a team player though.

I say bring him in like we brought in Ottis Anderson when his career was dropping off so long ago. Money though is probably the issue unless it is an incentive laden deal.

titwio
04-26-2012, 07:10 AM
I like Jackson as much as the next guy but at this stage in his career...too old (will be 29 before season starts), way too expensive and he is coming off a year where his carries have increasing gone down due to durability issues.

No worth it imo. I prefer they stay young through the draft and pay the bigger contracts to the guys who earn it going into their second contracts.

MattMeyerBud
04-26-2012, 12:31 PM
or maybe dump osi for him - not the worst of ideas