PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA "DOUBTS" HE'D RETURN WITHOUT NEW CONTRACT

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:09 PM
GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA "DOUBTS" HE'D RETURN WITHOUT NEW CONTRACT (http://www.giants101.com/2012/04/25/new-york-giants-osi-umenyiora-doubts-hed-return-without-new-contract/)

"The ongoing contract situation between the New York (http://www.giants101.com/tag/new-york/) Giants and defensive end <a class="st_tag internal_tag" title="Posts tagged with Osi Umenyiora" href="http://www.giants101.com/tag/osi-umenyiora/" rel="tag nofollow">Osi
Umenyiora</a> is like a ticking time bomb. He wanted top-5 money, didn't get it
and then held out. After being fined, he returned. Upon his return, he
threatened to have surgery…and then he had it. Following said surgery, he
returned again and helped the Giants win another Super Bowl. He then vowed not to be a distraction this season (http://www.giants101.com/2012/02/20/new-york-giants-osi-umenyiora-has-no-plans-to-be-a-distraction-in-2012/). Now, a day before
the NFL (http://www.giants101.com/tag/nfl/) Draft,
Umenyiora has come almost full circle.

While appearing on WFAN 660 with Boomer and Carton, Umenyiora was asked if
he'd return to Big Blue without a new or adjusted contract. His answer?
"Honestly…I doubt it."</p>

Umenyiora noted that the original numbers (seven years, $41 million) on his
contract were overinflated and misreported, and that his seven-year deal was
actually worth closer to $30 million. Had it been the $41 million that's been
reported, Umenyiora said the two sides "wouldn't be in this situation."</p>
<blockquote>

"The team will always do what's right for them … at some point you have to do
what's right for yourself," Umenyiora said.</p></blockquote>

So what is right for Umenyiora? A contract compatible to either Trent Cole or
Robert Mathis, which would be right around four-years and $36 million.</p>

All that aside, Umenyiora said he and the Giants have held preliminary
discussions on a new contract but that "nothing is imminent." He also added that
he hopes to end his career as a member of the Giants, even if it means filling a
reserve role.</p>
<blockquote>

"Whatever this teams wants me to do, is what I am willing to do," Umenyiora
said.</p></blockquote>

A year ago Umenyiora was given permission to seek a trade, but none of the
other 31 teams were willing to give up anything close to what the Giants wanted
in exchange for the former Pro Bowler. This year is likely to be no different,
so this merry-go-round is just getting started."</p>

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 01:18 PM
this at least clears up the misconception from the Osi FanClub members that says he doesn't really want that much more money.He clearly does.</P>

and this also seems to confirm what i thought all along, which is he'd be absolultely INSANE to play this year without a new contract.</P>

All that does is risk injury, which he's had more than his fair share of, which would completely prevent him from ever getting the extension he wanted.</P>

he's trying to force the giants to accept whatever they can get for him.</P>

If i were Osi, i'd be doing the same thing.</P>

BigBlue1971
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
here we go again with Osi!</P>

hes desperately trying to get a big payday from the Giants cuz he knows once hes on the open market chances are he wont get the money he wants especially being a year older.</P>

the more i see Osis name in headlines the more i believe he becoming a cancer on this team!</P>

nygsb42champs
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
This soap opera is going to continue and continue.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
this at least clears up the misconception from the Osi FanClub members that says he doesn't really want that much more money.He clearly does.</p>

and this also seems to confirm what i thought all along, which is he'd be absolultely INSANE to play this year without a new contract.</p>

All that does is risk injury, which he's had more than his fair share of, which would completely prevent him from ever getting the extension he wanted.</p>

he's trying to force the giants to accept whatever they can get for him.</p>

If i were Osi, i'd be doing the same thing.</p>

He is, yet again, the distraction du jour.

GameTime
04-25-2012, 01:40 PM
can some one explain hos Osi's 41 milllion dollar contarct became a 30 million dollar contract if he goes to the life of the deal???

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
This soap opera is going to continue and continue.

So it would seem.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:43 PM
this at least clears up the misconception from the Osi FanClub members that says he doesn't really want that much more money.He clearly does.</p>

and this also seems to confirm what i thought all along, which is he'd be absolultely INSANE to play this year without a new contract.</p>

All that does is risk injury, which he's had more than his fair share of, which would completely prevent him from ever getting the extension he wanted.</p>

<font color="#0000FF">If i were Osi, i'd be doing the same thing.</font></p>

Publicly?

byron
04-25-2012, 02:48 PM
this at least clears up the misconception from the Osi FanClub members that says he doesn't really want that much more money.He clearly does.</P>

and this also seems to confirm what i thought all along, which is he'd be absolultely INSANE to play this year without a new contract.</P>

All that does is risk injury, which he's had more than his fair share of, which would completely prevent him from ever getting the extension he wanted.</P>

<FONT color=#0000ff>If i were Osi, i'd be doing the same thing.</FONT></P>

Publicly?
</P>

yeah there is no need to be doing this in public It has to be pissing off the FO....It make no sense to hold out 30 k a day plus he could lose an accrued year and his FA status pushed out another year ....."I'm not sure of the specifics of the rule and how it work exactly but its there" he's ****ing blowing off again with the Giants holding all cards...thats just the way it is ,whats right or wrong I guess we can debate</P>

</P>

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
can some one explain hos Osi's 41 milllion dollar contarct became a 30 million dollar contract if he goes to the life of the deal???

It's not like he's a math major [;)]

ShakeNBake
04-25-2012, 07:47 PM
After last year, how could anyone not see this coming? The thing is, if Osi didn't open his mouth about this in public, it would make moving him that much easier. Everytime he opens his mouth in public about how he is unhappy here we lose trade leverage, which does the team and himself no good. I really hope we can get rid of him because I've already had enough crying from him this year and the season didn't even start yet.

NWKEffectElement
04-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Like he has a choice.

BlueSanta
04-25-2012, 07:57 PM

Its pretty simple really and it is nothing exclusive to Osi. When we all read a statement saying XXX playing is signed for 5 years for 30 mil. Usually, that 30 mil is the top end of the contract. It is what a player could potentially make if he stays healthy and meets all of his bonuses. Most contracts have playtime incentives or playoff incentive etc, workout bonuses, etc.

Either way, Osi's 41 mil contract became 30 because Osi keeps getting injured and has been something of a situational starter since 2009, even when healthy.

Few players actually earn the full listed amount of their contracts so Osi's complaint is 1 that legitimately most NFL players could also make, which also lessens its truthfulness.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 08:12 PM

In one news article he was quoted as saying he didn't know when the 7th year of the contract was. He got most of his money in the first few years of the contract and now he's not happy with the last few years. If that's how he feels he should have never signed in the first place.

bigjeep
04-25-2012, 09:49 PM
He needs to take a few chill pills! [:)]

CDN_G-FAN
04-26-2012, 12:57 PM

<FONT color=#0000ff>If i were Osi, i'd be doing the same thing.</FONT></P>

Publicly?
</P>

No. he's been a total knob in how he's handled this.</P>

Flip Empty
04-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I wonder if he'll pull a Carson Palmer and threaten to retire? Very different circumstances, I know. But it seems like he just doesn't want to play for the team anymore.

Toadofsteel
04-26-2012, 01:34 PM
His attitude these past few years tells me that he is no longer a fit for this team. We want team players, not whiners...

Pic related.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/Lombaszko/Internets/stop-whining.jpg</p>

RoanokeFan
04-26-2012, 01:48 PM

<font color="#0000ff">If i were Osi, i'd be doing the same thing.</font></p>

Publicly?
</p>

No. he's been a total <font color="#0000FF">knob</font> in how he's handled this.</p>

LOL