PDA

View Full Version : REESE: WE'LL STILL DRAFT TALENT OVER NEED

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:19 PM
REESE: WE'LL STILL DRAFT TALENT OVER NEED (http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7853759/nfl-draft-2012-jerry-reese-strategy-remains-same-go-best-available)

"Whether he is picking 15th or has the last pick of the draft at 32, <a href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants">New York
Giants</a> general manager Jerry Reese says not much changes when it comes
to his thought process and approach.

</p>

Reese insists he is still going to go for the best player available when the
Giants are on the clock.
</p>"I don't think it's more gray area when we pick at 32," Reese said when asked
about his approach with the last pick of the first round. "You just wait and see
if somebody is going to fall to you or if there is somebody you may be able to
move up for, that you're in love with. It's always a good problem to have when
you're picking 32."

</p>

Reese believes there are a lot of players with "the same kind of value" from
pick 15 to 32. If a player like North Carolina defensive end <a href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28090/quinton-coples">Quinton
Coples</a>, Syracuse defensive end <a href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29006/chandler-jones">Chandler
Jones</a> or Illinois defensive end <a href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28967/whitney-mercilus">Whitney
Mercilus</a> falls to 32, the Giants will likely be pretty happy. One prospect
who could go in the neighborhood of where the Giants select is Alabama
linebacker Dont'a Hightower. The Giants had him in for a visit according to
ProFootballTalk.com. Early indications are that the Giants are interested in
Hightower, LSU wide receiver <a href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/28986/rueben-randle">Rueben
Randle</a> and Georgia Tech wide receiver <a href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29011/stephen-hill">Stephen
Hill</a> -- three prospects who could be drafted in the late first round. </p>

</p>

Hightower has been projected by many to go to the Steelers at 24. Hill's
stock has been on the rise since the combine and he is often projected to be
drafted before the Giants are up. Hill or Randle could potentially help the
Giants replace Mario Manningham (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11329/mario-manningham), who signed with the 49ers
in free agency.</p>

</p>

Ramses Barden (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12555/ramses-barden), Jerrel Jernigan (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14040/jerrel-jernigan) and Domenik Hixon (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9716/domenik-hixon) will compete for the third
receiver spot. </p>

</p>

The good thing for the Giants is that they know what it is like to wait
through the entire first round before drafting. They did just that in 2008 after
winning the Super Bowl.</p>

"The last time we picked [last], we picked some pretty good players that have
helped us win a lot of football games," Reese said. "So there are good players.
You just have to look deep and find them."</p>

</p>

The last time Reese drafted coming off a Super Bowl victory, he had the 31st
overall pick and he came away with safety Kenny Phillips (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11265/kenny-phillips). The Giants would emerge from
that draft with four players who eventually became starters.</p>

</p>

Phillips (first round), cornerback Terrell Thomas (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11297/terrell-thomas) (second round), Manningham
(third round) and linebacker Jonathan Goff (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11399/jonathan-goff) (fifth round) all have started
games for the Giants. Phillips and Thomas remain while Manningham signed with
the 49ers in free agency and Goff remains an unsigned free agent.</p>

</p>

In that draft, Reese went defense with his first two picks. He has done the
same thing in each of the past two drafts, taking defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13256/jason-pierre-paul) and defensive tackle Linval Joseph (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13281/linval-joseph) with his first two picks in
2010 and then selecting cornerback Prince Amukamara (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13975/prince-amukamara) and defensive tackle Marvin Austin (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14025/marvin-austin) in the first two rounds in
2011.</p>

</p>

Reese reiterated in his pre-draft press conference that he will go with the
best player on the team's board regardless of position and that drafting off a
Super Bowl win doesn't change a thing when it comes to his approach for drafting
best talent over need.
</p>"The only difference is you see a lot of really good players come off of the
board in front of you," he said of drafting last. "But again, we feel like there
is going to be from pick 15 down to pick 32, there are going to be some very
similar kind of players that we like in the row."

</p>

The Giants could always trade down if they think there are several players of
the same value available when they pick. But Reese does believe a good player
will be there at the end of the first round.</p>

</p>

"More likely, somebody we have ahead of our 32nd pick in our first row [on
the team's draft board], somebody will be down there where we want to pick,"
Reese added. "At the bottom of that first row, we think those guys are
second-round picks, unless we have somebody pretty high that falls. We could
easily have somebody fall down. I think guys are going to come off the board all
over the place early on."</p>

</p>

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Good. </P>

Every draft board i see hasthe Giantstaking the best player available for one of our needs, and with only a couple exceptions this FO has taken whomever appears highest on their draftboards. almost irrespective of position.</P>

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Good. </p>

Every draft board i see hasthe Giantstaking the best player available for one of our needs, and with only a couple exceptions this FO has taken whomever appears highest on their draftboards. almost irrespective of position.</p>

I know that's the way we draft and I'm not sure if we've always done that or not. But I've been wondering how successful we'd be with BPA if TC were not the head coach?

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Good. </P>

Every draft board i see hasthe Giantstaking the best player available for one of our needs, and with only a couple exceptions this FO has taken whomever appears highest on their draftboards. almost irrespective of position.</P>

I know that's the way we draft and I'm not sure if we've always done that or not. But I've been wondering how successful we'd be with BPA is TC were not the head coach?
</P>

i've never considered that.</P>

from a step back and look big picture point of view, taking what you perceive as the BPA will fill your team with more talent than any other system.</P>

But an article awhile ago that the giants picked based on position, not BPA or position of need, was an interesting angle.</P>

but i don't have an answer as to whether a kiwi and JPP would be more or less successful based on a different coaching philosophy.</P>

My gut says less successful, but i'm biased towards thinking TC is a phenominal head coach.</P>

nygsb42champs
04-25-2012, 01:31 PM
I know we trust in JR but I just do not understand the need for a WR in round 1.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:33 PM
I know that's the way we draft and I'm not sure if we've always done that or not.* But I've been wondering how successful we'd be with BPA if TC were not the head coach?

Coach doesnt really matter in terms of draft strategy.

If you draft for need, and take guys who arent as good football players just to fill holes, then you eventually end up with a team of average to poor football players. Giving you needs everywhere.

I think Coughlin and his staff do a great job of finding players that fit their scheme and developing them, but the draft philosophy has to be BPA to build a successful team.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Good. </p>

Every draft board i see hasthe Giantstaking the best player available for one of our needs, and with only a couple exceptions this FO has taken whomever appears highest on their draftboards. almost irrespective of position.</p>

I know that's the way we draft and I'm not sure if we've always done that or not. But I've been wondering how successful we'd be with BPA is TC were not the head coach?
</p>

i've never considered that.</p>

from a step back and look big picture point of view, taking what you perceive as the BPA will fill your team with more talent than any other system.</p>

But an article awhile ago that the giants picked based on position, not BPA or position of need, was an interesting angle.</p>

but i don't have an answer as to whether a kiwi and JPP would be more or less successful based on a different coaching philosophy.</p>

My gut says less successful, but i'm biased towards thinking TC is a phenominal head coach.</p>

I'm not trying to say that players are more talented because of TC but that they become part of the TEAM under his guidance. Reese must have a great deal of faith in Coughlin's ability to make it all work regardless of needs.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
I know that's the way we draft and I'm not sure if we've always done that or not. But I've been wondering how successful we'd be with BPA if TC were not the head coach?

If you draft for need, and take guys who arent as good football players just to fill holes, then you eventually end up with a team of average to poor football players. Giving you needs everywhere.

I think Coughlin and his staff do a great job of finding players that fit their scheme and developing them, but the draft philosophy has to be BPA to build a successful team.

I would argue that not every coach can just take what they're given and have the success Coughlin has had. I understand TC doesn't have a say in who they draft.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I would argue that not every coach can just take what they're given and have the success Coughlin has had.* I understand TC doesn't have a say in who they draft.

I would argue that any coach can find a use for good football players. Give any coach in the league bad football players at positions of need and hes not going to be successful.

TC has a huge say in who they draft

Tommy_Ribs
04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Good. </p>

</p>

from a step back and look big picture point of view, taking what you perceive as the BPA will fill your team with more talent than any other system.</p>

But an article awhile ago that the giants picked based on position, not BPA or position of need, was an interesting angle.</p>

but i don't have an answer as to whether a kiwi and JPP would be more or less successful based on a different coaching philosophy.</p>

My gut says less successful, but i'm biased towards thinking TC is a phenominal head coach.</p>

To Dove-Tail to this, the GIANTS do pick BPA in general, but I think their board is situated in a way where some positions have a premium over others. In other words, I think DE, Corner, and OT will be picked over say C, G or Safety, if they have the same grade.

Reese definitely puts a premium on Big, Strong Fast DL. When we picked JPP there were probably other players on the board that had a similar or the same grade, but he HAD to Pick JPP b/c his position.

Take last year for example, Reese grabbed Prince b/c he was the highest rated guy on the board available, and he played a premium position.

I think the only thing that would put BPA out the window entirely was if you needed a QB. As Mike Mayock says: Franchise QB Trumps all.

VegasGmen
04-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I can see JR moving up in 2nd round to get a 1st round talent player. We have lots of depth with few roster spots available. JR has drafted defense last couple of years up high think this year he will grab some offensive skill players. Look for a RB and WR with 1st 2 picks. Would love to have Doug Martin and Sanu in blue next season

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 01:47 PM
I can see JR moving up in 2nd round to get a 1st round talent player.

There are no 1st round talent players in this years second round, there arent even first round talent players in the 2nd half of the first round.

krygny
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
It doesn't make sense to draft somebody who might be able to help you in a year or two, to fill a need you have now. It's a rare and exceptional player who can start as a rookie. Not counting special teams. If you have a need now, if you can't fill it with somebody on the current roster, you fill it through trade or free agency.

But, that's not to say, most teams don't draft for need over talent. They know it's the wrong thing to do but they can't help themselves.

VegasGmen
04-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I can see JR moving up in 2nd round to get a 1st round talent player. There are no 1st round talent players in this years second round, there arent even first round talent players in the 2nd half of the first round.</P>

Do you know how JR and Ross rates the players?We have no clue how their board stacks up.There are always players that drop.</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 02:05 PM
Do you know how JR and Ross rates the players?*We have no clue how their board stacks up.*There are always players that drop.</P>

Reese said it himself in his press conference.

" But again, we feel like there is going to be from pick 15 down to pick 32, there are going to be some very similar kind of players that we like in the row. Again, we talk about rows in our room instead of rounds. We donít think there are 32 guys that should be picked in the first round, but in the first row you have to pick somebody so thatís how we have them ranked. And more than likely, the guys where we are, we think those guys probably should be picked in the second round."

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Good. </P>

</P>

i've never considered that.</P>

from a step back and look big picture point of view, taking what you perceive as the BPA will fill your team with more talent than any other system.</P>

But an article awhile ago that the giants picked based on position, not BPA or position of need, was an interesting angle.</P>

but i don't have an answer as to whether a kiwi and JPP would be more or less successful based on a different coaching philosophy.</P>

My gut says less successful, but i'm biased towards thinking TC is a phenominal head coach.</P>

To Dove-Tail to this, the GIANTS do pick BPA in general, but I think their board is situated in a way where some positions have a premium over others. In other words, I think DE, Corner, and OT will be picked over say C, G or Safety, if they have the same grade.

Reese definitely puts a premium on Big, Strong Fast DL. When we picked JPP there were probably other players on the board that had a similar or the same grade, but he HAD to Pick JPP b/c his position.

Take last year for example, Reese grabbed Prince b/c he was the highest rated guy on the board available, and he played a premium position.

I think the only thing that would put BPA out the window entirely was if you needed a QB. As Mike Mayock says: Franchise QB Trumps all.
</P>

TC as the head coach is the creator of the football philosophy. TC's philosophy places a premium on the D-line that can rush the QB. He likes having great Olines as well and his offense centered on the big play. JR and the FO find guys that fit his philosophy, but above all else JR drafts the BPA. So if a really good DE is on the board along with a GREATCB that JR has rated higher than the DE we will take the CB as he did with Prince. I don't even think position factored in to the Prince pick. JR saw top 10 value at 32 and pulled the trigger. </P>

BPA means also factors in who is the best play for oursystem. </P>

I want a 2 gapping DT like Alameeda that we can play at the 3 tech, but I don't think they will ever draft one b/c we seem to prefer quick, strongpass rushing Dlinemen, rather than all out run stuffers, even at DT. </P>

</P>

TuckYou
04-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I got a feeling, its Pass Rusher or Wide Receiver at 32. Osi and Kiwi are up after this season, and Cruz and Nicks are up after this season and next season. We wont resign both at each position. Reese is smart and looks to the future, just like last year when we landed Prince. TT and Ross were FAs after the year, and Prince was to replace one or the other.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
I got a feeling, its Pass Rusher or Wide Receiver at 32. Osi and Kiwi are up after this season, and Cruz and Nicks are up after this season and next season. We wont resign both at each position. Reese is smart and looks to the future, just like last year when we landed Prince. TT and Ross were FAs after the year, and Prince was to replace one or the other.

I say it's Devon Still from Penn State

hungrrrry
04-25-2012, 02:24 PM
I am very interested to see how we do...I have decided to not get my heart set on any player, nor any position. I doubt we get a non-contributor! Aaron Ross had up and down years but our last true 1st round bust was William Joseph DT...I believe that was 2003...Reese usually does well in the first.

buddy33
04-25-2012, 02:26 PM

I think other than QB they have a need at all positions, but I do agree about them taking a DT. They have Canty, Joseph, and aging vet, and a guy who hasn't played in 2 years. Don't get me wrong, I still think Austin is young and athletic enough to be able to be a good player, but you never know.

Tommy_Ribs
04-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Good. </p>

</p>

</p>

TC as the head coach is the creator of the football philosophy. TC's philosophy places a premium on the D-line that can rush the QB. He likes having great Olines as well and his offense centered on the big play. JR and the FO find guys that fit his philosophy, but above all else JR drafts the BPA. So if a really good DE is on the board along with a GREATCB that JR has rated higher than the DE we will take the CB as he did with Prince. I don't even think position factored in to the Prince pick. JR saw top 10 value at 32 and pulled the trigger. </p>

BPA means also factors in who is the best play for oursystem. </p>

I want a 2 gapping DT like Alameeda that we can play at the 3 tech, but I don't think they will ever draft one b/c we seem to prefer quick, strongpass rushing Dlinemen, rather than all out run stuffers, even at DT.
</p>

Great Points!

BPA within the system. I think Reese is of the same mindset with Coughlin from the Standpoint of putting premium on pass rushers. I say that B/C Ernie Accorsi was of that mind-set, and Jerry came up under EA.

But I agree with your points, the Coach and GM have to be in lock-step in terms of the structure of the rankings on the board, and I know with Ernie, he made sure all the power players felt good about the pick. The results of the approach are definitely proved out by our success.

We draft as well as anyone does. We may not be the best, but we do a good job. We have Ernie and Jerry and Coach to thank for that.

yatitle
04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I know that's the way we draft and I'm not sure if we've always done that or not.* But I've been wondering how successful we'd be with BPA if TC were not the head coach?

I think the coach has a big say in it. Reese has exhibited over and over again that when he drafts someone ( or signs as an undrafted FA) he expects those players to replace players who leave via free agency. Case in point he confidence in the coaching staff with regards to Boss and Smith leaving last year. The confidence is not only in TC but the entire staff as shown by their strategy with the OL over the years. Now even given the BPA strategy it appears the positions like LB are surely not treated as equally as important as DL and CB.

TuckYou
04-25-2012, 02:32 PM

</P>

Im not too familiar with him so I looked some stuff up... Sounds injury prone. Is it worth it? Sounds good when healthy though, and should feast with our DL around him. </P>

04/19/2012 - 04/18 NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Devon Still, DT, Penn State...Physically, there might not be a more impressive defensive prospect in this draft class. Still, who was the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year, passes the eye test with similar frame and athletic skill set as Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh, but he doesn't play with nearly the same mean streak or aggressive strength. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Still did nothing to diminish his stock in the eyes of NFL evaluators at the 2012 Scouting Combine, but the crop of defensive tackles appears to be deeper than expected. "I think hands down I'm the best defensive tackle in this draft, just because I feel like I want it more," said Still, NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2-rated defensive tackle prospect behind LSU's Michael Brockers. Since a dominant Outback Bowl performance to end the 2010 season -- 3.5 tackles for loss against Florida center and Dolphins first-round pick Mike Pouncey -- Still was convinced he'd make a living on Sundays. Like Brockers, Still has to shake similar questions from scouts about whether he's a late bloomer or one-year wonder. <U>After tearing two left knee ligaments as a freshman and a broken ankle in fall camp the following season,</U> Still said he fully dedicated himself to being a football player before the 2011 season. He credits defensive line coach Larry Johnson for keeping him motivated and schooling him on the finer points of on-field technique and how to watch film. "I think I had a very average year my junior year and I never strive for being mediocre. I try to be the best that I can be," Still said. "I put in a lot of overtime during the offseason just to prepare myself to be one of the best in the country for my senior year and make my mark at Penn State." Still said Penn State left guard Johnnie Troutman, who was also at the Scouting Combine, deserves credit in his emergence from reserve to Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. They became so familiar with each other squaring off in practice four or five days a week that by last season, one-on-one matchups became a test of fortitude. Troutman said the game slowed down for Still, who stopped over-thinking about his responsibility within the scheme and let his ability take over. "It definitely helped me over the past three years playing against a guy like him," Troutman said. "For his size he's a real quick guy so you've got to move your feet and don't blink because if you blink and punch and miss he's going to be by you." Penn State might be Linebacker U, but the Nittany Lions are accustomed to sending defensive linemen to the NFL. From Courtney Brown to Michael Haynes to Aaron Maybin, Jared Odrick to Tamba Hali to Cameron (Derek) Wake, the tradition is tangible. While Penn State transitions to a new era under new coach Bill O'Brien, Still remains cognizant of repaying the program that helped him reach the doorstep of a lifelong dream. "What drives me is that when I first started playing football, whenever I do something, I'm very competitive," he said. "I want to be the best at it. When I got injured my first two years at Penn State, a lot of people said I wouldn't be the same player as I was when I showed up on campus. I think that drove me just to prove everybody wrong. To this day, I don't think I'm where I need to be right now. I want to make my mark in the NFL, just as I did at Penn State, and become one of the best." </P>
<DIV id=choppedContent>Pass rush: Comes fast and hard off the snap if given a step by backpedalling linemen in pass protection. Will work through the whistle. Tries to swim past his man when there is room to maneuver, bothering the quarterback but rarely getting there. Effective taking up two blockers and flashes some quickness outside on twists. Run defense: Most productive against the run when slanting into the action. Strong at the point when keeping his pads low, but his height means a constant battle to prevent linemen from getting under his pads. Fights through doubles, at times still finding the ballcarrier through traffic. His anchor against doubles when not attacking the pocket is inconsistent; blown off the line too often. Good<SPAN id=elipsis></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV id=expandoContent>effort to reach ballcarriers coming into his area; keeps his eyes on them and can make the play even when moving back or losing his balance. Must work on defeating cut blocks with his hands. Explosion: Combination of size and strength has not yet been harnessed. Inconsistent off the snap, more often last one to move than the first. Does not knock back better linemen. Fatigue becomes an issue later in game, losing his explosiveness off the ball and hustle. Strength: Rarely dominates his man at the point. Capable of shedding with strong hands and tossing aside guards if their heads are down, but could do so more regularly. Tackling: Wide body and long, strong arms envelop backs running between the tackles. Good vision and strength lets him bring down backs by a shoelace, even if falling to the ground. Possesses nimble feet and fair change of direction for his size; chases ballcarriers around the line and can stay with elusive backs after they make a move. Gives some chase to the sideline on quick throws and when backs try to run outside. Intangibles: Suffered torn left ACL/MCL in August 2007, broken left ankle in August 2008. Cousin Art Still played for the Kansas City Chiefs. Another cousin, Levon Kirkland, was a standout linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers. --Chad Reuter </DIV>

</P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Good. </P>

</P>

Not sure I agree with that CDN. In his 5 drafts, JR has gone need 3 times (Ross, KP and Nicks) and BPA twice (JPP and Prince) in the first round.</P>

I will say that the BPA picks have been in the last two drafts.</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Not sure I agree with that CDN.* In his 5 drafts, JR has gone need 3 times (Ross, KP and Nicks) and BPA twice (JPP and Prince) in the first round.</P>

Its never been about BPA vs. Need. They arent inherently different players, its always been the best combination of both.

If there are a group of players where you pick rated the same, you take the biggest need.

If there is a player who is not at a position of need but is rated far better than other players left, you take the BPA.

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Not sure I agree with that CDN. In his 5 drafts, JR has gone need 3 times (Ross, KP and Nicks) and BPA twice (JPP and Prince) in the first round.

</P>

Its never been about BPA vs. Need. They arent inherently different players, its always been the best combination of both. If there are a group of players where you pick rated the same, you take the biggest need. If there is a player who is not at a position of need but is rated far better than other players left, you take the BPA.</P>

Whenfootball FOs talkof need vs BPA they mean that they will pick the best player available over a lower rated player that fills an immediate need. All players have to fit the system your running. I honestly think KP, Nicks, and Ross were BPA according to our draft board. </P>

Generally speaking the BPA has a higher probability of having a successful career for your franchise or becoming a star player than a player selected b/c of team needs. The quick fix isusually the long term solution and teams will find them self adressing needs that would have been solved with a BPA strategy. </P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
When*football FOs talk*of need vs BPA they mean that they will pick the best player available over a lower rated player that fills an immediate need.* All players have to fit the system your running.

A lot of the time you have a bunch of players rated about the same. There is rarely a significant gap in grade between players.

When there is a significant gap, then you have situations with JPP and Prince, where they are essentially BPA only.

When the players are rated about the same, you take the biggest need.

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Whenfootball FOs talkof need vs BPA they mean that they will pick the best player available over a lower rated player that fills an immediate need. All players have to fit the system your running. A lot of the time you have a bunch of players rated about the same. There is rarely a significant gap in grade between players. When there is a significant gap, then you have situations with JPP and Prince, where they are essentially BPA only. When the players are rated about the same, you take the biggest need.

I think that's the case this year. Something tells me that if there are a group of players rated equally on our board we won't automatically defer to biggest need. I think we could go DE or WR which are obviously is not our biggest need, but they are our biggest strengths.</P>

I think we clearly had Nicks rated as the best WR in the draft. I even remember Sterling Sharpe saying he was the most NFL ready of all the receivers. I think Ross and KP were true BPAs as well, especially KP at 32. </P>

GMENAGAIN
04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Not sure I agree with that CDN. In his 5 drafts, JR has gone need 3 times (Ross, KP and Nicks) and BPA twice (JPP and Prince) in the first round.

</P>

Its never been about BPA vs. Need. They arent inherently different players, its always been the best combination of both. If there are a group of players where you pick rated the same, you take the biggest need. If there is a player who is not at a position of need but is rated far better than other players left, you take the BPA.</P>

Completely agree.</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 06:03 PM
I think we clearly had Nicks rated as the best WR in the draft.

I dont see how you can make an assumption like that.

Or that Ross and KP were true BPAs. We dont know their draft board.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 06:03 PM

</p>

Im not too familiar with him so I looked some stuff up... Sounds injury prone. Is it worth it? Sounds good when healthy though, and should feast with our DL around him. </p>

04/19/2012 - 04/18 NFL DRAFT SCOUT FALLER: Devon Still, DT, Penn State...Physically, there might not be a more impressive defensive prospect in this draft class. Still, who was the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year, passes the eye test with similar frame and athletic skill set as Detroit Lions DT Ndamukong Suh, but he doesn't play with nearly the same mean streak or aggressive strength. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Still did nothing to diminish his stock in the eyes of NFL evaluators at the 2012 Scouting Combine, but the crop of defensive tackles appears to be deeper than expected. "I think hands down I'm the best defensive tackle in this draft, just because I feel like I want it more," said Still, NFLDraftScout.com's No. 2-rated defensive tackle prospect behind LSU's Michael Brockers. Since a dominant Outback Bowl performance to end the 2010 season -- 3.5 tackles for loss against Florida center and Dolphins first-round pick Mike Pouncey -- Still was convinced he'd make a living on Sundays. Like Brockers, Still has to shake similar questions from scouts about whether he's a late bloomer or one-year wonder. <u>After tearing two left knee ligaments as a freshman and a broken ankle in fall camp the following season,</u> Still said he fully dedicated himself to being a football player before the 2011 season. He credits defensive line coach Larry Johnson for keeping him motivated and schooling him on the finer points of on-field technique and how to watch film. "I think I had a very average year my junior year and I never strive for being mediocre. I try to be the best that I can be," Still said. "I put in a lot of overtime during the offseason just to prepare myself to be one of the best in the country for my senior year and make my mark at Penn State." Still said Penn State left guard Johnnie Troutman, who was also at the Scouting Combine, deserves credit in his emergence from reserve to Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year. They became so familiar with each other squaring off in practice four or five days a week that by last season, one-on-one matchups became a test of fortitude. Troutman said the game slowed down for Still, who stopped over-thinking about his responsibility within the scheme and let his ability take over. "It definitely helped me over the past three years playing against a guy like him," Troutman said. "For his size he's a real quick guy so you've got to move your feet and don't blink because if you blink and punch and miss he's going to be by you." Penn State might be Linebacker U, but the Nittany Lions are accustomed to sending defensive linemen to the NFL. From Courtney Brown to Michael Haynes to Aaron Maybin, Jared Odrick to Tamba Hali to Cameron (Derek) Wake, the tradition is tangible. While Penn State transitions to a new era under new coach Bill O'Brien, Still remains cognizant of repaying the program that helped him reach the doorstep of a lifelong dream. "What drives me is that when I first started playing football, whenever I do something, I'm very competitive," he said. "I want to be the best at it. When I got injured my first two years at Penn State, a lot of people said I wouldn't be the same player as I was when I showed up on campus. I think that drove me just to prove everybody wrong. To this day, I don't think I'm where I need to be right now. I want to make my mark in the NFL, just as I did at Penn State, and become one of the best." </p>
<div id="choppedContent">Pass rush: Comes fast and hard off the snap if given a step by backpedalling linemen in pass protection. Will work through the whistle. Tries to swim past his man when there is room to maneuver, bothering the quarterback but rarely getting there. Effective taking up two blockers and flashes some quickness outside on twists. Run defense: Most productive against the run when slanting into the action. Strong at the point when keeping his pads low, but his height means a constant battle to prevent linemen from getting under his pads. Fights through doubles, at times still finding the ballcarrier through traffic. His anchor against doubles when not attacking the pocket is inconsistent; blown off the line too often. Good<span id="elipsis"></span></div>
<div id="expandoContent">effort to reach ballcarriers coming into his area; keeps his eyes on them and can make the play even when moving back or losing his balance. Must work on defeating cut blocks with his hands. Explosion: Combination of size and strength has not yet been harnessed. Inconsistent off the snap, more often last one to move than the first. Does not knock back better linemen. Fatigue becomes an issue later in game, losing his explosiveness off the ball and hustle. Strength: Rarely dominates his man at the point. Capable of shedding with strong hands and tossing aside guards if their heads are down, but could do so more regularly. Tackling: Wide body and long, strong arms envelop backs running between the tackles. Good vision and strength lets him bring down backs by a shoelace, even if falling to the ground. Possesses nimble feet and fair change of direction for his size; chases ballcarriers around the line and can stay with elusive backs after they make a move. Gives some chase to the sideline on quick throws and when backs try to run outside. Intangibles: Suffered torn left ACL/MCL in August 2007, broken left ankle in August 2008. Cousin Art Still played for the Kansas City Chiefs. Another cousin, Levon Kirkland, was a standout linebacker with the Pittsburgh Steelers. --Chad Reuter </div>

</p>

I've always considered the draft little more than a crap shoot. Most players come with some baggage and teams understand those issues but they give them physicals to do the best they can to determine if a draftee can hold up to the rigors of the NFL. Look at Prince last year. Most of us were elated that he was available and we lose him for a huge chunk of the season when he broke is foot which is still an issue for the medical staff.

You roll the dice and you get what you get.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Whenfootball FOs talkof need vs BPA they mean that they will pick the best player available over a lower rated player that fills an immediate need. All players have to fit the system your running. A lot of the time you have a bunch of players rated about the same. There is rarely a significant gap in grade between players. When there is a significant gap, then you have situations with JPP and Prince, where they are essentially BPA only. When the players are rated about the same, you take the biggest need.

I think that's the case this year. Something tells me that if there are a group of players rated equally on our board we won't automatically defer to biggest need. I think we could go DE or WR which are obviously is not our biggest need, but they are our biggest strengths.</P>

I think we clearly had Nicks rated as the best WR in the draft. I even remember Sterling Sharpe saying he was the most NFL ready of all the receivers. I think Ross and KP were true BPAs as well, especially KP at 32. </P>

</P>

This conversation is revisionist history at its worst. In 2007, we were taking the highest rated corner. PERIOD. Revis was #1, Hall was #2 and Ross was #3. We would have taken Hall but he was drafted right before us, even though he was falling.</P>

In 2008, we had a glaring need for a safety and we took KP. In 2009, everyone knew we were taking the highest rated WR (year after Plax shot himself) If Maclin had fallen to us we would have taken him. Some had Britt rated higher than Nicks. thank God we didn't. But we chased NEED. Don't kid yourself. Now in 2010, we would have done the same thing. EVERYONE wanted McClain. We had a huge need at MLB. All the experts had us taking McClain. If he was there, we would have taken him. We were all shocked so see him go so high to Oakland. So we went JPP, because he was too promising a prospect to pass on after our guy was gone.</P>

This revisionist view that JR is some kind of "BPA Purist" is nonsense. Drafting (despite what they want you to think) is a combination of chasing need as well as getting the best players possible.</P>

Stop with this romantic notion of JR, or any GM out there.</P>

JJC7301
04-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Love our philosophy because it's an obvious winner.

Ahhhh. I'm a Mets fan, but at least with my Giants do I get to cheer an organization that is competent. It's such a safe and secure feeling.