PDA

View Full Version : Osi - dont have to redo my contract if you trade for me

Giants Of New Jersey
04-25-2012, 12:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/25/osi-umenytiora-if-you-trade-for-me-you-wont-have-to-redo-my-contract/

He basically wants us to give him more money to not start. However, if he goes to a team where he is the full time starter, he will play out his current contract because being a full time starter will give him opportunity to perform for his free agent status at the end of next season. I feel that we make Osi look great and I don't see how he doesn't see that.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 12:28 PM
Ok Osi, hold out all season then see how big a contract you get next year.

GMENAGAIN
04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
One thing that I have never been sure of -- If Osi holds out this year, does he become a FA for next season or does he still owe a year to the Giants?????

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 12:32 PM
of course that's his opinion!!! He doesn't care whether we get a 7th round choice (if his contract isn't reworked) or we get a first day pick (if it is reworked).</P>

he's doing what he has to do for him and his family (i respect that), but what a **** show this is becoming.</P>

StarWarsGiant
04-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Osi is Great and the defense is alot better when he is available. He always seems to make the big play when we need it.. I say we draft a DT cut Canty (he is a waste of a huge man) and use some of that money to pay Osi.. Osi should retire a Giant Period!

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
One thing that I have never been sure of -- If Osi holds out this year, does he become a FA for next season or does he still owe a year to the Giants?????

If he holds out every season he would remain under contract next year.

I believe he has to play in a minimum of 4 games or something like that.

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 12:36 PM
. I say we draft a DT cut Canty (he is a waste of a huge man)

Canty has been a terrific player for the giants...

CGYgiant
04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
. I say we draft a DT cut Canty (he is a waste of a huge man)

Canty has been a terrific player for the giants...

He's been good, but his play does not validate the compensation we gave him.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 12:44 PM
. I say we draft a DT cut Canty (he is a waste of a huge man) Canty has been a terrific player for the giants...</P>

And given how thin we are at DT, that would be rediculous.</P>

slipknottin
04-25-2012, 12:46 PM
[He's been good, but his play does not validate the compensation we gave him.

free agents rarely do... Im alright with drafting another DT and letting Canty go after this season, but cutting him now with no depth at the position is just asking for trouble.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Ok Osi, hold out all season then see how big a contract you get next year.

[Y]

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 12:52 PM
free agents rarely do... Im alright with drafting another DT and letting Canty go after this season, but cutting him now with no depth at the position is just asking for trouble.</P>

I would say that 2 high priced free agents (Canty and Boley) turned out to be worth every penny they've been paid.</P>

CGYgiant

free agents rarely do... Im alright with drafting another DT and letting Canty go after this season, but cutting him now with no depth at the position is just asking for trouble.

Yep I agree, going forward I hope Austin can be our 3-tech. Cutting Canty at the current time would be foolish as we dont have depth but his play has been just adequate. I wonder what JR saw on tape to give him the type of contract we did. I don't think we were expecting him to get to the passer..

RoanokeFan

If we draft Devon Still at DT I don't see them offering Osi anything.

BeatYale
04-25-2012, 12:59 PM
At this point the Giants have all the leverage because Osi is in a contract year. His agent would be an idiot to have him hold out. He should be seeing it as the season that defines the rest of his financial career. He'll likely never get a chance to make as much money as he will next offseason.

G-Man67
04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
i agree with other posters, i understand Osi's position ... he needs to think of his family 1st and do whatever he can to get more $$ and more guaranteed $$ ASAP, b/c you never know when your gonna blow out your knee</P>

what this shows is simplythat he is willing to play for a new contract, but he wants to get as many snaps as possible, so he can possibly get better stats and more money ... and also it shows that he has some animosity towards the Giants</P>

i think it raises his value a little ... teams can basically rent him for a season and it's almost the position i have been taking ... a contractseeking Osi on a win now team could be a terror</P>

personally, i don't think he could handle having many more snaps than he is currently getting and i don't think that the technicality of him not starting really affects his value very much ... believe me, every NFL team knows what Osi brings and many teams have aglaring need at DE</P>

but they are all going to have to wait until next year to sign him unless they are willing to part with a 1st (never happen) or a 2nd (not likely) and while everyone speculates about a 3rd ... has any team offered one? ... don't think so ... apparently we didn't get any calls about Osi last year</P>

and he's already showed his hand ... he didnt hold out last year, so there is no way he will hold out in his contract year</P>

it does, however, add to the intrigue</P>

my fear is that some team offers a 2nd, which is great value ... we take it partially to eliminate the distractions and then well i won'teven say it, but you know where i'm going ... we could go from 4 or really 5 (Tolly) DEs down to say, Tuck and Kiwi ... Tuck who has shoulder problems and Kiwi who got more snaps at LB and DT last year</P>

SweetZombieJesus
04-25-2012, 01:08 PM
I would say that 2 high priced free agents (Canty and Boley) turned out to be worth every penny they've been paid.</p>

Only recently; they certainly didn't live up to expectations on day 1.

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Friggin Osi! He just drives you nuts. He's NEVER happy. He knows he's getting older and wants some up front money. We are smart not to offer it to him. there may be some chump GM out there willing to. He's hoping for that but if he waits until his contract is up he's a year older and his chances are far less.</P>

I predict he will be a huge nightmare all season if we don't deal him.</P>

Morehead State
04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
I would say that 2 high priced free agents (Canty and Boley) turned out to be worth every penny they've been paid.</P>

</P>

But still, if they help you win a SB, (and they were both huge for us in that effort) how can you say it wasn't worth it?</P>

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Friggin Osi! He just drives you nuts. He's NEVER happy. He knows he's getting older and wants some up front money. We are smart not to offer it to him. there may be some chump GM out there willing to. He's hoping for that but if he waits until his contract is up he's a year older and his chances are far less.</p>

I predict he will be a huge nightmare all season if we don't deal him.</p>

And yet I hope they make him play here under his contract. I agree with you, it's just a me thing about honoring contracts.

RoanokeFan
04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
I would say that 2 high priced free agents (Canty and Boley) turned out to be worth every penny they've been paid.</p>

I think you have to wait for the entire body of work before you can judge whether a player was "worth it."

giantsfan420
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
honestly this pisses me off more than anything concerning Osi.

He's willing to give a hometown discount TO ANOTHER TEAM?!?!

he wont play here for what he signed onto, but for another team he will?

I hope JR just forces his hand and keeps him here. he wants to hold out, we'll replay the same scenario next season...until he shuts up and plays

B&RWarrior
04-25-2012, 08:02 PM

I think you have to wait for the entire body of work before you can judge whether a player was "worth it."
</P>

Canty wasn't worth that huge contract. Reese thought he would bring inside pressure versus the QB and play the run very well. He's been average at both. Even so, we'd be crazy to cut him. </P>

This Osi problem is a luxury we knew wouldn't last. You can't expect to keep two Pro Bowl quality players at the same position for an extended period of time. He'll play lights out this yearb/c it's in his best interest to do so.Osi is gone after this year- guaranteed.</P>

byron
04-25-2012, 08:28 PM
honestly this pisses me off more than anything concerning Osi. He's willing to give a hometown discount TO ANOTHER TEAM?!?! he wont play here for what he signed onto, but for another team he will? I hope JR just forces his hand and keeps him here. he wants to hold out, we'll replay the same scenario next season...until he shuts up and plays yeah man it is allquite annoying....I feel the same way make him play out the deal....some how I think he is going to screw himself before its all over...its a good sizedmess.really

JJC7301
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Just keep him around this year in the attempt to repeat and then let him walk if we can't renegotiate a new contract.

It doesn't make sense to trade him at this point -- he is an excellent pass rusher; we're trying to repeat and he means a lot to our D; and you never know what those draft picks we would get for him wind up being (i.e. Sintim after we traded Shockey).

CDN_G-FAN
04-25-2012, 09:37 PM

</P>

Canty wasn't worth* that huge contract.* Reese thought he would bring inside pressure versus the QB and play the run very well.* He's been average at both.* Even so, we'd be crazy to cut him.* </P>

This Osi problem is a luxury we knew wouldn't last. You can't expect to keep two Pro Bowl quality players at the same position for an extended period of time.* He'll play lights out this year**b/c it's in his best interest to do so.*Osi is gone after this year- guaranteed.</P>

the moment we picked JPP and he turned out to be real, Osi's fate was sealed.

there's no room for Tuck, Osi, and JPP in the modern cap system, and fans thinking that we can keep them all long term along with a legit 2 time MVP QB aren't getting the math.

ShakeNBake
04-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Just keep him around this year in the attempt to repeat and then let him walk if we can't renegotiate a new contract.

It doesn't make sense to trade him at this point -- he is an excellent pass rusher; we're trying to repeat and he means a lot to our D; and you never know what those draft picks we would get for him wind up being (i.e. Sintim after we traded Shockey).

The only question is if the F.O. thinks he will hold out. If they think that is a possibility then they will consider a trade.

JMFP2
04-25-2012, 09:57 PM
free agents rarely do... Im alright with drafting another DT and letting Canty go after this season, but cutting him now with no depth at the position is just asking for trouble.</P>

</P>

Canty and Boley both had their best seasons last year.</P>

JacksGiant76
04-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Canty has been just OK. I don't think he really fits the role of DT as well as he does a DE in a 3-4. I think he's kind of miscast here but he did player decent last year, I just don't think he's worth what he's getting in his contract. He definitely needs to restructure next year or take a hike.